Answers Corporation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
David Karandish

My experience has been great, though...

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't speak to the experiences of anyone who is or was an employee of a company that Answers bought up... this is just how I've experienced things at the St. Louis office: The atmosphere is fun and laid back, while definitely driven to create interesting and profitable content The people I work with are fantastic - they're smart, fun, and very supportive The benefits are really great - you'd be hard-pressed to find better health, tuition reimbursement, time off, bonus structure, stocked food and beverage, etc all together like this I definitely feel my work is noticed and appreciated all the way through the management structure

Cons

Recent sudden lay-offs were shocking and confusing as to who and why. Obviously, this has had a chilling effect on morale and talent retention It's really confusing why senior managers out of Mountain View make decisions affecting the teams out of the St. Louis headquarters. The fact that the Mountain View team is so small with practically no developers, you'd think we would have better local management instead The refusal to allow remote working will definitely turn off some 21st century talent

Advice to Management

Communicate intentions more effectively. Incorporate more profit sharing possibilities if you want innovation in revenue generation - create a real personal incentive. You want to retain and attract talent, so keep our benefits away from the financial chopping block, and consider allowing remote working for talented applicants. Salary could be better, though as long as you keep the great benefits and perks, that at least makes up for some of that.

Wonderful place when I worked there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Answers Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. I loved my team members and coworkers and made lasting friendships. When I worked at Answers, there were so many perks and I loved the start-up culture. I learned a lot and felt very comfortable while working for Answers.com. I know a lot of people who started out working for Answers and moved on to great jobs afterwards. David Karandish is a really nice guy as well.

Cons

Sometimes disorganized, I got the feeling that my coworkers were disappointed with management, especially after some bad news. Before I left, the culture was starting to go corporate. Last I heard, a lot of people were fired. I generally didn't get the sense that our coworkers were really proud of what we were producing.

Promising, but watch out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Answers Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary Great benefits (free health care plan, competitive vision, dental, etc.) Relaxed atmosphere Snacks and drinks provided

Cons

Has had a history of surprise layoffs, even after perceived financial success Management not fully transparent of company operations Company has been known to abruptly change direction

Advice to Management

Employees should be fully made aware about the company's performance, and rather than do knee-jerk reactions such as mass layoffs, can avoid all this by doing hiring freezes, bonus freezes, cost-reductions and the like. Employees would be more loyal in the long run this way.

Too Good to Be True - It Is...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Answers Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large "tech" company headquartered in the Midwest. Benefits are good.

Cons

Very poor management at all levels CEO is very fake and looking to be famous as noted from his past on reality TV. If you are not a young male, you will not be included into management. Sexism and completely inappropriate dialog considered appropriate behavior. Group of no talent frat boy types who do not care about those who actually care about quality and the community No Transparency about anything at any level They are always looking on how to "use" their customers to make them money not how they can add value They are always following and never leading - stealing ideas from truly innovative firms

Advice to Management

Care about the people and care about the product that you are making and stop caring about maximizing profit.

Lunatics Are Running The Asylum

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time

Pros

Free Junk Food, Xmas party - if your in St. Louis, Empty flagship office in NYC - Port Authority not TMSQ, Inefficient HR

Cons

If your not in St.louis...its a major con. Look at the reviews on here and noticed that all the good reviews are from employees based out of St. Louis. Look at most of the negative ones, they basically mostly from other offices. St. Louis and Mt. View is the top of the Answers caste system. All other offices are the equivalent of the untouchables. Senior executives are milking the company since it's been sold. They have their golden parachute and look to be moving on. APAX seems to be doing what equity funds do...generate debt.

Advice to Management

Actually check to see if your managers are doing what they say they are - because they are not.

Reset priorities

Pros

There is a 100% premium paid health care plan option. It's not FREE. It has very high deductibles, don't be fooled.

Cons

They'll lay off 100 people. But getting rid of $100k/year worth of junk food (these free snacks you hear of)? Out of the question.

Advice to Management

100 people get laid off but not ONE from upper management. Who do you think is running the company into the ground? It's not the non-six figure employees... Oh, excuse me... "Team members". My advice would be to the BOARD. Open up your eyes and see what's going on.

If only I were a white male with no conscience

Former Employee - CX Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - CX Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

There will be many people to commiserate with because no one is happy. As soon as the company is listed on your LinkedIn account, recruiters will come calling because it is well known how unhappy the employees are. You can eat your feelings for free, which is great because you're probably underpaid. Enjoy those snacks.

Cons

- You will be overloaded with accounts - You will have no path for advancement - If you are a woman, it is safe to assume that you're making at least $10k less than the guy sitting next to you who does the same job - If you've been there for 2+ years, the person hired yesterday that is a lower level analyst than you? They're making way more money than you are - If you're an analyst, the most in depth analysis that you will do will be of your calendar, as you try to figure out how you're going to be able to get your work done - The work very quickly becomes boring; it is rare that your insights offer the client value and it's exhausting to try and tell the same story five different ways - Management has no ability to impact change - Many in management have no desire to impact change, which is why they were promoted - You will get to hear about how much the company values diversity...but can't hire that way at an executive level because women aren't involved in technology

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and/or stop letting David speak to people because he comes across as callous and out of touch. Take a hard look at salaries and make sure that you pay analysts who've been there for years at least what you're offering to new hires to do the same job. Invest in product development. Acknowledge that you've ruined the reputations of the companies you've acquired and actively do something about it. Stop treating the executive team like the Augusta Golf Club pre-1990.

The shadiest of practices

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time

Pros

Should I start with the mass layoffs or people who've voluntarily fled? Maybe the slashed benefits or outright lies? Answers cares about nothing but Answers. Not the employees well-being, nor the integrity of their story, nor the privacy of their users. More on that later. I have nothing good to say about Answers.

Cons

I work for one of the subsidiaries and since the day Answers bought us everything has spiraled out of control and gone significantly downhill. People are treated as expendable and talked down to as though it's some great privilege to work for them. Management is out of touch with the day to day operations and, quite frankly, doesn't care. You will be a number and nothing more. I've watched people be let go for not smiling enough or catering to the temper tantrums of execs. I've had my benefits slashed and my time sucked from me. People are overworked and there's absolutely no signs of that changing as employees continue to be cut rather than hired. The company is so focused on trying to salvage their website that they're willing to sacrifice their profitable sectors just to keep it afloat. We have literally been told that the cuts being made have nothing to do with our business unit and there's nothing we can do to insulate ourselves from further cuts being made. Also, upwards mobility is non-existent and the upper echelons of the company are padded with yes-men in what can only be described as a complete and total boys club. I can say with certainty that there have been falsified, glowing reviews posted on this site to keep up their image and been involved in conversations advocating for ignoring things like privacy policies. Their game is to collect as much data as they can on their users and leverage it in any way they can no matter what. Facebook "games", Chrome Extensions, Clickbait websites - It's all just to farm for user information.

Advice to Management

Know when to pivot. A sinking ship isn't going to be saved with a bucket.

10. Incredible Company

Pros

Work is crazy but rewarding. Flexible Schedules. Amazing people to work with.

Cons

Need more people. Planning needs prioritization.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the company.

Company is going south and dragging its subsidiaries with it

Pros

The only pro is the good people that still remain in spite of the massive layoffs. Also if you are a white male you have a career track. Anyone else--not so much.

Cons

Poorly managed at all levels. The subsidiary companies gobbled up by the parent corporation are seeing their thriving companies slowly be strangled to death. Morale is at an all-time low after another round of massive layoffs. In this day and age, you wouldn't think a pronounced glass ceiling could thrive--but at Answers that is absolutely the case. Women and minorities are not only not promoted into upper management, those that WERE in upper management prior to acquisition lose their jobs. It is an old boys network to be sure--with one weird exception: most of the "boys" are relatively young and you would think/hope they would not run a company this way.

RSS Feed </> Embed