Answers Corporation

Updated Feb 14, 2014

David Karandish

Productive and educative

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros- Very knowledgeable people to work with.
- Very learning oriented environment
- Transparency in terms of code when it comes to different teams.
- Several technologies are being used, name it and it's there.
- The perfect place to be, if you're a knowledge-hungry person.
- Extremely fast growing in terms of number, mainly because of acquisitions and direct hires.
- Fun filled parties every now and then :)

Cons- (I wouldn't completely call this a con) Transparency between levels of hierarchy is reducing as the company grows.

Advice to Senior Management- Office times are to be maintained. Being in Silicon Valley (also), people like it when it's a little more flexible (Compared to the other companies). This needs to be based on work rather than time.

Excellent software development summer internship

Software Development Intern (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Answers Corporation as an intern for less than a year

ProsI spent the summer working at Answers in St. Louis. They recruit interns heavily from Wash U every summer, which is how I got involved. I worked with a web development team. It was a great place to work with nice easy-going people, fun events (like a LAN gaming night!), and a free snack room! My mentors there invited me to to various local programming events and meetups and always tried to involve me with their work.

ConsNot many complaints. The work I did was not very crucial or important really, but that can sometimes be expected from a summer internship. It served more as a learning experience.

Growing to top internet site in USA

Analytics (Current Employee)

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros#1 it was a top Internet property, I had heard of and used answers.com myself before

#2 it seemed like a cool company to work for (young, relaxed atmosphere, good benefits, fun events, free snacks)

ConsMore team events. I mean we arty have fun events and parties but I would like to see even more of them possibly every 30 days if possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent job on growth. Keep making smart decisions.

It's one of the best companies to work!

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI feel very fortunate to be part of a company that became a Quantcast Top 10 site in USA. In 4+ years I have experienced our expansion from 60 employees to 250 totally awesome employees.

ConsNot many, it's a great place

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep saying yes to your employees as the culture is a blast. Keep emphasizing companies like LinkedIn & TalentBin to recruit. There's a lot of great hire coming from those sites.

Great place to work overall, minor issues with communication

Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Answers Corporation part-time

ProsVery laid-back atmosphere
Fast-paced and exciting
Free snacks, foos-ball and ping-pong
Co-workers super-smart, interesting, and helpful

ConsOccasionally it feels like there's a gap between the programmers and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between the levels of the company could be improved. Specifically, communicating "why", in addition to just "what".

Best place I've ever worked, most challenging job as well

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork on interesting consumer facing properties
Get to work on apps at a scale that is hard to match
People are nice, down to earth

ConsPromotions seem to come mostly from outside lately, especially as the company has grown to a larger entity

Advice to Senior ManagementTell people what's going on (acquisitions/revenue targets) before it hits the news
Take opportunities to highlight the work of employees

Used to be better, growth has not been smooth

I have been working at Answers Corporation

ProsGood office locations and facilities, fun group of coworkers, your work touches millions of people everyday, ability to make a suggestion and see it implemented, always improving, profitable company.

Also, even though the work is demanding and deadlines are tough, the work load here is not as bad as you would think. Yes, you will work late hours, but that is because you choose too, not because someone is making you.

ConsUnfortunately, the recent growth has caused quite a few problems that management does not seem experienced enough to handle. The company does a disservice to individual employee's personal and professional development. There is no training, very little room for advancement and poor feedback on performance. If you want to advance your career and you work at Answers, your best bet is always to go somewhere else. When positions open up they will hire someone from a bigger, more prestigious company and not even consider internal employees. For a lot of employees who started working when the company was much smaller, this means missing out on valuable opportunities to advance yourself as a startup typically promotes from within. They use the pedigree of these senior hires to cover up the less than stellar quality and reputation of the company/site.

A small group of execs run the company and they are very good guys; but they only care about PROFIT and not about employees. Since these execs run all aspects of the company, it has created a culture where the bottom line is the only thing that matters.

Benefits are average, pay is all over the place. Some people are very well compensated (although not always deserving) and others, especially those who came in early, have a hard time scaling their pay with the growth of the company. Some employees are given equity, although it is not worth much because execs are always restructuring the finances and it seems to negatively affect the employee equity pool and favor the execs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for leadership within the organization, focus on your vision and product scope, thank the developers every once in a while

Was great until Answers Corporation was acquired by the St. Louis based holding company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Answers Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Had a lot of authority over my area of expertise
- My direct manager was awesome, as were the vast majority of the team I worked with

Cons- Executive management will throw the entire staff under the bus for a buck
- Constantly shifting priorities and business directives, as if managed by a bunch of squirrels in an aluminum foil factory
- No internal transparency at all, even for staff who NEED to know things in order for the business to operate.
- No advancement potential within the company at all

Awesome company to work for!

University City, St. Louis, MO

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros- unlimited snacks and beverages
- very intelligent people
- less than business casual dress code
- located in the Loop (lots of food options)
- safe area of St. Louis
- ping pong and foosball

Cons- some inefficiencies are frustrating when coding but not too bad
- health plans are mediocre compared to local companies like AB InBev and AT&T
- no matching 401k plan
- traffic after work sort of sucks but it's bearable

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of doing a matching 401k plan for your employees. As you grow, do not cut on the little things otherwise the best and smartest talent will leave for better avenues. Keep the same focus. Keep hiring great, entrepreneurial minded people. Make sure project managers aren't constantly scheduling meetings for coders to go to --- they don't like these very much.

AWESOME

University City, St. Louis, MO

I have been working at Answers Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsHonestly, there's too many to even mention here. I'd be here all day. Everything from the highly exceptional pay and full benefits package, to the fully stocked, free snacks... And there's LOTS of snacks! Then there's also the top-notch coworkers, interesting and engaging projects, and to add to all that there's awesome team building events that you actually WANT to go to!

ConsThe location isn't perfect. There isn't a super-straightforward way to get into the loop when you dont' live right IN University City. This is a very minor con though and I'm more than willing to overlook it for such a great job!

Worked for Answers Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Answers Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Answers Corporation CEO David Karandish. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Answers Corporation employees.