Antea Group

Updated December 15, 2014
3.9

Antea Group CEO, USA Gary Wisniewski
Gary Wisniewski

Working for Antea Group has been a great experience.

I have been working at Antea Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is committed to being a great place for employees, and to providing top-notch service to clients. I have been given the opportunity to work on exciting projects and the flexibility to make work fit in with family needs. I love the fact that Antea Group is involved with our local communities, promotes employee volunteerism and has an outstanding wellness program. The people I work with are family, and my time here has been very positive.

Cons

I think everyone would like to be paid more, and I am no exception. The compensation structure could be more competitive than it is, especially in areas with a high cost of living.

Continue to build out the Talent Management program. I think what we have is a great start to a successful employee development program, but it needs to be dynamic and evolve to meet new needs.

Professionally challenging work in a company that's catching up on treating employees professionally.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Antea Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Antea Group provides a great variety of work opportunities for a truly select group of clients, which results in a good diversity of technical assignments in various locations. There's also great deal of (fun) interaction between other offices & staff, and some opportunity for international work - more oftentimes done state-side, at your desk, with an overseas associate, but those are still fun & add to the variety of work. If you're a Project Manager or above, you're also provided the opportunity to participate in the company's annual incentive (i.e, "bonus") program, which can be rewarding. Antea Group also provides wonderful training opportunities at all levels within the company.

Cons

1. The company's annual appraisal process is well thought-out and very thorough (it takes nearly 4 months to complete, from start to finish), and provides a guide for what is required for advancement to the next level (aka, "The Consulting Continuum"). However, upon completion of the detailed employee appraisal, compensation increases are tied to an overall percentage increase budgeted by the company. This year, it was 3 percent, and any increase you might recommend for an employee in excess of that required preparation of a detailed treatise & was damn near impossible to get. Seemed to take all of the professionalism & value out of conducting a detailed employee appraisal.
    2. Some managers require salaried employees to show time on their time sheet for days taken off after an employee has already accounted for 40 or more hours in a week. For example, if a salaried employee completes a project or proposal in four work days & shows at least 40 hours on their time sheet for Monday -Thursday, some managers will also require that employee show 8 hours of vacation time used for that Friday, if the employee chooses not to work that Friday. I understand we don't want to create an atmosphere that encourages staff to feel free to stop working once they reach 40 hours in a week (after all, more hours equal more revenue), and employees should remain conscientious about meeting deadlines and commitments. But, I have literally worked 45+ hours (as a salaried employee) between Sunday & Thursday, dare to take off on Friday, and then have my time sheet rejected by my manager for not showing vacation time for Friday. To me, that is a slap in the face. The addition of vacation time does nothing for revenue (although it reduces the company's outstanding vacation time bank due to employees), and as a salaried employee, it has no impact on my pay check. It is as if my manager is saying "Thanks for putting in the additional effort to knock out that assignment in short order. As a reward to you, let us reduce your available vacation bank by 8 hours." Vacation time is earned on a pro-rated basis each pay period, depending on years with the company; its not granted as block of time at the first of the year. So, you actually have to work to earn your vacation time. To have it taken away, at a manager's discretion, after having already worked a 40-hr week (or more), is in my opinion unprofessional, and may be my biggest complaint here.
    3. Also related to vacation time - you cannot accrue or carry over more than 4 weeks of vacation time, no matter your level of seniority. Once you hit 160 hours of accrued vacation time, you stop earning vacation time & you cannot carry any more than that into the next calendar year. Many of our competitors, our clients, and regulatory agencies permit senior employees to earn up to (& carry over) 6 weeks of vacation. At the very least, the policy should be revised to permit employees to continue to accrue more than 160 hours of vacation, with the understanding that no more than 160 hours can be carried over into the next calendar year.
    4. Entry level staff are paid time-and-a-half for time over 40 hours per week, and salaried staff (Project Managers & above) are eligible for the company's annual incentive/bonus program. There's a gap, however, between those two levels - typically at the Project Professional level - where there's no OT paid & there's no eligibility for the incentive program. This has brought some pain to moving staff into that level that needs to be addressed. It's actually serving as a disincentive for making that promotion.
    5. Health insurance options are limited & somewhat costly. While the portion of monthly premiums paid by employees have remained steady for the past few years, the out-of-pocket expense bourn by most employees are higher than many of our competitors.

Revise the company's vacation policies, in accordance with the comments noted above. And while company-wide salary increases must of course be budgeted, let's instruct our managers to not be so dogmatic about it that they automatically disapprove any increase that's above that budgeted percentage. Let's use it as an average, not as a line never to be crossed.

A very satisfying, long-term employee/employer relationship.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Antea Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The ability to engage with new and interesting clients or continue to work with existing, fantastic, legacy clients. If you do solid, dependable work, you have almost no limit to where you can go in this organization. Show your spark of greatness and you'll be nurtured to higher performance! Company really works to help balance personal and professional life.

Cons

Do a task once and you may be prematurely advanced to expert status.

More words on slides. Man cannot live on pictures and whitespace alone.

Almost two decades and Still Interesting and Exciting

I have been working at Antea Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work is fast paced, diverse and interesting. The company culture is open, supportive and very ethical. The company supports charitable giving and volunteerism. International opportunities are present. Great place to work for a self starter

Cons

Workload can at times get a bit much at times, but its manageable

Great mid-size company with a small company feel

Current Employee - Project Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Antea Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Continued expansion of services and capabilities; Strong commitment to developing and training personnel; Great use of inter-office communication and account leadership tools; Great commitment to employee wellness and corporate sustainability programs; Strong training programs

Cons

Challenges facing employee turnover; Seemingly not much attention or development of profit-sharing programs or other incentives to reward employees at all levels

Solid environmental consulting firm.

I worked at Antea Group full-time

Pros

Great culture - almost uniformly the culture of this company is very people-friendly.
    Making great strides - opportunities to learn and grow are increasing
    Benefits - very solid benefit package & decent incentive program

Cons

Salary - at or behind industry standards at most levels; effort being made to keep on par with other companies but not there yet
    Stale senior leadership - very little new blood; slow-moving
    Promotions can take time

On the rise

I have been working at Antea Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Antea Group's greatest attributes are it's people and it's culture.

Cons

There are a handful of challenging client contracts that sometimes hinder career/compensation growth.

Accelerate execution of improvement initiatives

Good People, High Quality Products, but Low Pay

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Columbia, MD

I worked at Antea Group full-time

Pros

Friendly, small office that took work seriously and produced high quality results in the field and on paper. Excellent training. Firing people was a dead last option at offices that had a healthy workload.

Cons

Some of the sites were downright scary to work at, being in bad parts of cities within the region, but management did their best to address any and all safety issues. The biggest negative at the company was low monetary compensation, although that aspect has unfortunately penetrated most of this industry that deals only in remediating leaky petroleum storage tank sites. Interestingly, most staff worked enough overtime to make higher wages than most project-level employees in the office.

Re-complete cost-benefit analysis turnover due to low wage.

Great place to grow your career

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Antea Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Started at the lowest level and have moved my way to Sr PM and am close to next level. As the business continues to grow, advancement opportunities seem to be readily available. The company created a great toolthis year to help people better understand the career path available to them.
    - The work we do with the environment and sustainability can be incredibly rewarding and makes you feel good about going to work every day.
    - From peers to managers to leadership, the people and overall culture is great!

Cons

- There is an occasional disconnect between the leaders and the actual managers. One managers hears one thing while another hears something else.
    - It can be difficult to take time off due to the seemingly endless barage of priority projects.

Current employee.

Current Employee - Staff Professional in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Professional in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Antea Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers and atmosphere are friendly and welcoming. The benefits programs are robust and Antea Group is always looking for ways to improve. In the last year or so Antea Group has started covering Domestic Partners on their benefit plans and have implemented an exciting Wellness plan. There is room for growth, I have been employed for almost 10 years and have had five different titles.

Cons

Growth from one level to the next is self-motivated so it can be somewhat confusing but has gained direction this year.

If an employee is strong and shows initiative, help them with what is needed to reach the next level.

Antea Group Photos