Antenna Group Reviews

1. Fast paced training ground for any young professional in the energy field

Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Antenna Group full-time

Pros

Employees from all levels of the organization are generous in giving feedback and guidance Fun loving group of people who share core values around sustainability while being practical Small enough organization for employees to expand their roles Senior level staff has lots of industry experience and cares about the younger staff

Cons

Feels too rushed/scattered. Not for those who are uncomfortable with multi-tasking Feedback from different staff members may have inconsistencies Amount & pace of work impedes senior level staff from tracking mentee growth

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. Thank you for the experience.

2. First job out of college

I worked at Antenna Group full-time

Pros

Great and innovative people. Directors are barely accessible when you need them. Great mission and location. An ethical enterprise helping the world better understand the importance of clean technology.

Cons

Melody Haller drove the company into the ground and left the group that bought Antenna to pick up the pieces.

Advice to Management

Remain accessible to your employees and help drive your business by mentoring those who are new to clean technology and/or PR

3. Fun, fast-paced work environment

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

Smart group of people with good senses of humor

Cons

Feels a bit frenzied and unorganized a lot of the time.

5. Energetic place with lots of talent, very little process.

I worked at Antenna Group full-time

Pros

This is a great place to be creative and have your ideas be heard. There's a lot of opportunity to learn from extremely good mentors and expand outside your job description. The small size of the company means you get to learn directly from executives and aren't siloed into menial roles (even at the very junior level).

Cons

There is a lack of stability if clients are lost, causing layoffs. The company generally lacks organization. Management operates with a low level of transparency to staff about company standing.

Advice to Management

Bring some consistency into the organization and operating procedures. Continue fostering high levels of creativity.

6. Antenna rewards smart, hardworking PR pros

I have been working at Antenna Group full-time

Pros

It's a fun, fast-paced environment that is a great place to start your career in energy/tech PR. The office fosters young talent and isn't hierarchical. Lots of smart people to inspire and educate you!

Cons

The pay is less than other agencies and the staff can fluctuate based on clients.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring motivated and passionate young employees.

Motivation from management is simply "BE GLAD YOU HAVE A JOB!"

I have been working at Antenna Group

Pros

Cleantech is awesome. All our clients are trying to make the world a better place (while making money, of course).

Cons

Be prepared to be fired rather than trained to do a better job.

Advice to Management

No words! The legend of Melody Haller is just hearsay now. Most of us here started after Beckerman PR took over. Now the legend is notorious Beckerman CEO Keith Zakheim who is infamous for his email rant to his own New Jersey office -- and even us on the West Coast -- that he wanted to fire the person who left only a drop of milk left in the shared carton. All we know is they fire anyone and everyone at will. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Frenzied, harried, disrespected, in absentia leadership

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

Clean tech is a solid industry with the financial, political and regulatory backing to make it a stable career sector; learn what you can at Antenna via diverse client work and move on.

Cons

The new owners, Beckerman, are New Jersey at its worst. "Leadership" is focused solely on new business. Internal communications are poor to non-existent, and the younger staff are burnt out. The only way to get a promotion or pay increase is to threaten to quit. Overall lack of professional maturity and interest in personnel management.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Be mindful of your human assets. Stop throwing spaghetti at the wall when it come to new business development. Talk to the staff. Don't swear at them. Don't criticize them in front of others. Work intelligently with clients but stop kissing their asses. Better manage their expectations.

9. PR work that matters

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

Working at Antenna gave me the opportunity to learn more about my communications craft and apply it to work that I truly care about. The company¹s dedication to evangelizing clean technologies brings a sense of purpose that makes you want to do your best work. The education gained at Antenna is a great foundation for the rest of my career. I was sad to leave but my personal life required it. I¹d probably be working there today if I still lived in the SF Bay Area.

Cons

Part of why everyone there is so smart, hard working and friendly is that the culture has a low tolerance for people who aren¹t. If you can¹t take initiative, carry your own weight on teams and speak up with questions, you won¹t last long at Antenna. --

Advice to Management

Hold on to your people, you train them well but end up losing them to larger companies that pay them more to think less.

10. PR with a mission

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

PR wasn’t even on my career radar until I came across Antenna. I liked the emphasis on the mission: promoting green, clean, sustainable technology. That turned out to be authentic. Also, Melody was willing to take a chance on someone without a PR degree. I was able to gain great experience in technology-based buiness The pace was fast and the work was stimulating. The culture was friendly. The client companies (some of them new-ish tech innovators) could be pretty unpredictable . (Except they always wanted more than they were paying for: that part was predictable). My managers did try to shield me from the craziness. Melody actually dropped a client (you could say, "fired'"them) when a key manger there was mean to me. He apologized. We went on to do award-winning work for that client. The person even showed up again later at another company , and hired us again. Looks like toughness won respect. I occasionally worked late but it wasn’t an expectation, just a matter of pride in doing a good job. On the whole, my time at Antenna was a rich phase of my life and a great foundation for my career, which is thriving. I'm grateful for the opportunity. I consider the partners to be my friends for life.

Cons

Now that I’m no longer at an agency I can see how much calmer life is on this side. Some clients don't treat agencies as well as they deserve. It’s a tough way to make a living unless you crave the variety and intellectual stimulation. But it’s an incredible education and, unlike grad school, they pay you.

Advice to Management

Keep being quirky and creative; keep hiring people with an unorthodox range of background. Don't get conventional and start insisting on PR degrees Also, stick with the green, values-based approach. It might be tough in the recession, but it will be a winner.

11. Interesting and compelling work in a quirky environment

I have been working at Antenna Group

Pros

If you're looking for a corporate PR experience, we probably won't get along with you too well at Antenna Group, but that's one of the aspects I like most. There's not a lot of hand holding; instead there's a great deal of trust in the employees' intelligence and capabilities. You often get the feeling that management is a collaborative experience, and while that is not the best environment for all, it is compelling for those who are motivated and engaged. We're also pretty picky about what companies and technologies we work with. For the most part, employees are excited and motivated to support the companies we represent and are proud of their accomplishments. I am very pleased that we work with brilliant technologists that are making significant changes to our environment, no greenwashing business here.

Cons

The turnover at Antenna has been a hard thing to deal with. I suppose its common both for PR and a symptom of the recession, but the firm should definitely work more strongly on employee retention measures.

Advice to Management

Some employees benefit from transparency of practices, but not all. Management should be more weary of when and how is a suitable time to involve teams.

RSS Feed </> Embed