Antenna Group

Antenna Group Reviews

3.5

Keith Zakheim
1 Rating

Antenna rewards smart, hardworking PR pros

I have been working at Antenna Group full-time

Pros

It's a fun, fast-paced environment that is a great place to start your career in energy/tech PR. The office fosters young talent and isn't hierarchical. Lots of smart people to inspire and educate you!

Cons

The pay is less than other agencies and the staff can fluctuate based on clients.

Continue hiring motivated and passionate young employees.

Energetic place with lots of talent, very little process.

I worked at Antenna Group full-time

Pros

This is a great place to be creative and have your ideas be heard. There's a lot of opportunity to learn from extremely good mentors and expand outside your job description. The small size of the company means you get to learn directly from executives and aren't siloed into menial roles (even at the very junior level).

Cons

There is a lack of stability if clients are lost, causing layoffs. The company generally lacks organization. Management operates with a low level of transparency to staff about company standing.

Bring some consistency into the organization and operating procedures. Continue fostering high levels of creativity.

Great people, inspiring work. Antenna is a fun, vibrant organization.

Former Employee - Public Relations and Social Media Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Public Relations and Social Media Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Antenna Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing learning experience. Fantastic team. Recognized as industry standard for strategic communication.

Cons

Volatile market makes me question the traditional agency model.

Innovation. This will be key to staying relevant in the cleantech comm agency space.

Motivation from management is simply "BE GLAD YOU HAVE A JOB!"

I have been working at Antenna Group

Pros

Cleantech is awesome. All our clients are trying to make the world a better place (while making money, of course).

Cons

Be prepared to be fired rather than trained to do a better job.

No words!

The legend of Melody Haller is just hearsay now. Most of us here started after Beckerman PR took over. Now the legend is notorious Beckerman CEO Keith Zakheim who is infamous for his email rant to his own New Jersey office -- and even us on the West Coast -- that he wanted to fire the person who left only a drop of milk left in the shared carton. All we know is they fire anyone and everyone at will. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Frenzied, harried, disrespected, in absentia leadership

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

Clean tech is a solid industry with the financial, political and regulatory backing to make it a stable career sector; learn what you can at Antenna via diverse client work and move on.

Cons

The new owners, Beckerman, are New Jersey at its worst. "Leadership" is focused solely on new business. Internal communications are poor to non-existent, and the younger staff are burnt out. The only way to get a promotion or pay increase is to threaten to quit. Overall lack of professional maturity and interest in personnel management.

Grow up. Be mindful of your human assets. Stop throwing spaghetti at the wall when it come to new business development. Talk to the staff. Don't swear at them. Don't criticize them in front of others. Work intelligently with clients but stop kissing their asses. Better manage their expectations.

PR work that matters

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

Working at Antenna gave me the opportunity to learn more about my
    communications craft and apply it to work that I truly care about. The
    company¹s dedication to evangelizing clean technologies brings a sense of
    purpose that makes you want to do your best work. The education gained at
    Antenna is a great foundation for the rest of my career. I was sad to leave
    but my personal life required it. I¹d probably be working there today if I
    still lived in the SF Bay Area.

Cons

Part of why everyone there is so smart, hard working and friendly is that
    the culture has a low tolerance for people who aren¹t. If you can¹t take
    initiative, carry your own weight on teams and speak up with questions, you
    won¹t last long at Antenna.

Hold on to your people, you train them well but end up losing them to larger companies that pay them more to think less.

Tons of room to learn and grow, but in a stressful, chaotic environment

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

You work with smart, talented, and motivated people. You work for interesting up and coming businesses making the world a better place. You learn every day.

Cons

Staff rarely has relevant training, so people are learning as they go and therefore make a lot of mistakes. Management is overworked and often neglects current clients.

Spend more time devoted to current clients and training employees - not just about PR (though thats important), but teaching people how to lead other people and how to follow adeptly. Maintain a more rigid boundary between personal and professional life.

Interesting and compelling work in a quirky environment

I have been working at Antenna Group

Pros

If you're looking for a corporate PR experience, we probably won't get along with you too well at Antenna Group, but that's one of the aspects I like most. There's not a lot of hand holding; instead there's a great deal of trust in the employees' intelligence and capabilities. You often get the feeling that management is a collaborative experience, and while that is not the best environment for all, it is compelling for those who are motivated and engaged.

We're also pretty picky about what companies and technologies we work with. For the most part, employees are excited and motivated to support the companies we represent and are proud of their accomplishments. I am very pleased that we work with brilliant technologists that are making significant changes to our environment, no greenwashing business here.

Cons

The turnover at Antenna has been a hard thing to deal with. I suppose its common both for PR and a symptom of the recession, but the firm should definitely work more strongly on employee retention measures.

Some employees benefit from transparency of practices, but not all. Management should be more weary of when and how is a suitable time to involve teams.

Good opportunities and exciting clients, a little disorganized at times

I have been working at Antenna Group

Pros

Antenna is the leader in renewable energy PR, which is an industry that is fast-paced and never boring. The very flexible and low-key atmosphere as well as an extremely competent and intelligent staff make Antenna ideal for someone who does not fit the boring mold of many other jobs. You will be given a lot of responsibility early-on if people trust you, but you can always ask for help from Sr. management, which they give freely if not swamped themselves.

Cons

Unpredictable activities (meetings that you find out about the day before and last minute things to prepare for etc.)

A little more organized structure to how things are done, but overall great leadership.

PR with a mission

I worked at Antenna Group

Pros

PR wasn’t even on my career radar until I came across Antenna. I liked the emphasis on the mission: promoting green, clean, sustainable technology. That turned out to be authentic.

Also, Melody was willing to take a chance on someone without a PR degree. I was able to gain great experience in technology-based buiness

The pace was fast and the work was stimulating. The culture was friendly.

The client companies (some of them new-ish tech innovators) could be pretty
    unpredictable . (Except they always wanted more than they were paying for: that part was predictable). My managers did try to shield me from the craziness. Melody actually dropped a client (you could say, "fired'"them) when a key manger there was mean to me. He apologized.
    We went on to do award-winning work for that client. The person even showed up again later at another company , and hired us again. Looks like toughness won respect.

I occasionally worked late but it wasn’t an expectation, just a matter of
    pride in doing a good job.

On the whole, my time at Antenna was a rich phase of my life and a great
    foundation for my career, which is thriving. I'm grateful for the
    opportunity. I consider the partners to be my friends
    for life.

Cons

Now that I’m no longer at an agency I can see how much calmer life is on
    this side. Some clients don't treat agencies as well as they deserve. It’s a
    tough way to make a living unless you crave the variety and intellectual
    stimulation. But it’s an incredible education and, unlike grad school, they
    pay you.

Keep being quirky and creative; keep hiring people with an unorthodox range of background. Don't get conventional and start insisting on PR degrees

Also, stick with the green, values-based approach. It might be tough in the recession, but it will be a winner.