Anthem Media Group

Updated July 30, 2014

3.9

Brian Weaver

Glad to be a part of Team Anthem

Pros

Great flexibility with hours and PTO; telecommuting (working from home) offers a great deal of autonomy and schedule flexibility; opportunities for advancement within the company for those who work hard; rewards motivated employees;

Cons

Since the majority of us work from home we sometimes miss the team building and positive interactions with coworkers that you can really only get in an office environment, but I still prefer the flexibility and autonomy of telecommuting.

Strong innovative company

Current Employee - Director  in  Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Director in Leawood, KS

Pros

Anthem is starting something special. We are building our team to build solutions through innovation. Team members from CXO's to developers roll up their sleeves and work together. Employees are encouraged to grow professionally and their opinions matter. Looking forward to growing with the company.

Cons

Office is surrounded by small boutique shops. Too many temptations!

Thanks for all the positive changes and looking forward to more.

Great and Getting Better

Pros

I joined Anthem about a year ago because I wanted the flexibility and autonomy of working from home. The company supplies all of the computer equipment and allows me to expense office purchases, and that really comes out as a financial win-win for both of us. Many of Anthem's employees work from home either most or all of the time. I've noticed an upward trajectory since I started. The company gave us an employee satisfaction survey and actually implemented some fixes based on it. For example, communication is a challenge since there are so many work-from-home employees. So the company implemented Yammer, an internal social network that allows for casual communication. The CEO even participates in it. As another example, the trade magazine editors were having problems working from tradeshows without company-issued laptops. (We had company-issued desktops.) I am happy to say I am typing this from my new Macbook Pro laptop :) I also think my boss is terrific, both for his knowledge and his accessibility to me. Finally, I had heard that in the past there were some issues with freelancers waiting a long time to get their checks. I am in charge of a magazine's freelance writer payments and all of my writers have been getting paid in approximately 60 days after I submit their invoices (something I advise them of when they accept their first assignment.) I also get my reimbursement checks in a timely manner, usually within 30 days.

Cons

Working from home isn't for everyone. (Though there are some in-office positions at this company as well.) You have flexibility as long as you perform, but some employees have used that as an excuse to not work. HR does take care of that ultimately, but, like at many companies, getting rid of under-performers can take longer than the rest of us would sometimes like.

Keep asking questions as to what employees want and need to do their jobs better. And keep making adjustments as needed. I'd also love a weekly email introducing new employees and letting us know who has moved on to somewhere else.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Accounting  in  Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Accounting in Leawood, KS

Pros

Love working here. It's such a comfortable laid back atmosphere. Everyone is friendly and a joy to be around. Having the ability to work from home whenever you need to has come in handy so many times. VERY nice option. Everyone really cares about this company and everyone is involved. We are a family.

Cons

I can't think of ANY cons.

My experience has been very positive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

Pros

Anthem has the resources and core leadership of an established company, with the flexibility and innovation you'd find in a startup culture. When I took the job, I expected it to be mundane and temporary, but it's morphed into a really good fit for me.

Cons

The flexibility can be a con if you don't like change (I do, personally). Needing to adapt keeps you sharp, but it's definitely not an environment conducive for "coasting."

Anthem... A nice place to work.

Pros

Flexibility, good pay, friendly people that care about their brands/responsibilities.

Cons

Some communication breakdowns as we all have a lot on our plate.

Autonomy & Flexibility Keep Me Happy!

Pros

I enjoy my daily work -- it's creative, interesting, challenging, and I am always learning something new. I appreciate the fact that I am valued for my abilities to spearhead and execute projects autonomously. My supervisor and upper management seem to appreciate my talents and allow me the freedom to realize some very creative projects. In addition, work/life balance at this company is really important and not just a 'buzz" phrase. As long as you get the work done, no one is looking over your shoulder and no one questions non-traditional work hours if that's your preference or if you need the flexibility.

Cons

I do think that for some people working from home can be a negative. I enjoy it, but for a number of reasons, it is not the ideal fit for everyone.

Provide a 401k match -- even if it's modest/nominal. It will boost morale and employee loyalty! ...In a time when other companies are still NOT providing it, you have a chance to be generous to your people -- that's a leadership move that will be respected by the rank and file!

Anthem Media Group Response

Jul 21, 2014HR Director

Thank you for the feedback! I am actively working on getting a 401k match into place for 2015. We plan to communicate the details of the match during Open Enrollment this year.

Great place to work, learn and grow

Current Employee - Publisher  in  Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Publisher in Leawood, KS

Pros

I've been with Anthem for almost 2 years. I love that I am able to contribute to success, and have the room to learn and grow from the challenges. I'm able to be creative in every aspect of my position. There's no dwelling on mistakes, just moving forward toward success. I am challenged to excel.

I enjoy the people I work with and love the flexibility to work from home when I choose to. No clock watching. The health and vacation benefit offerings are excellent.

Cons

This is a fast-paced business. You have to make sure to take time off to maintain a good work/life balance.

Anthem Media Group

Current Employee - Creative Team Member  in  Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Creative Team Member in Leawood, KS

Pros

I'm having a lot of fun working with both the creative and marketing team. With the scope of companies Anthem works with, there are opportunities every day to build your portfolio, network, and work on projects that are awesome resume builders. A nice feature is that you can work remotely. As long as you keep in contact with your team and supervisor, you can make your own work hours/pace.

Cons

I've been working here for less than a year, and have not discovered any major cons yet. Work-life balance is good so far.

Rad Coworkers, Awesome Office, and Exciting Projects

Pros

I feel like my ideas and creative strategies are really valued here. The scope, size, and variety of projects makes coming to work fun and never, seriously never, boring. The atmosphere is laid back and cool (how could it not be since the office is a loft?) and the people I work with on a daily basis are some of the most creative and hardworking people I've met.

Cons

It might seem ridiculous, but I have yet to discover any cons of working here. People who truly enjoy their work make good coworkers and management.

Worked for Anthem Media Group? Contribute to the Community!