Anthropologie
www.anthropologie.com Philadelphia, PA 5000+ Employees

Anthropologie Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

David W. McCreight

Pros:
  • "Great discount considering you are not required to wear the clothing at work"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Employee Discount was great and the work environment smelled nice with all the candles"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "The worst part as a Sales Associate was all of the on call shifts they'd schedule us for"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Managers aren't so friendly if you're a part-time employee"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

One of the worst companies to work for

Retail Associate (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsDiscount on merchandise, flexible schedule

ConsExtremely low pay (like $8 an hour) on your feet all day and feet are hurting so bad by the end of your shift, management treats you like a thief (bag checks and dumps when leaving the store) they discourage breaks and don't have a place to sit down and take a break in the back of the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your employees first, money second. If you treat your employees like gold, the result will be happier, more productive employees.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Drink the Kool Aid and you will be just fine!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts and Coworkers Great job for those who don't need a pay check but want to earn a little extra and get discounts on what they are already buying

Consif you are working to pay bills not the place for you...The scheduling is awful...tons of "On Call" shifts you must call the store an hour before your shift to find out if they need you! If you call more than an hour they will tell you call back. The pay is far from competitive, and in the 2 stores I worked in the management was very cliquey! I did get promoted to a Manager in training position...This is what they call the position so they can keep you from advancement, not give you keys or any real decision-making abilities but a lot of responsibility. I jumped in here with both feet, but it was a real struggle to try and make any real money or advancement, dispite a great work history, work and attendance record and a great attitude. If you are looking for anything beyond part time work I would give it a miss.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that popularity and friendships do not a good management team make!!!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat staff and good training program. Flexible with hours.

ConsHigh turnover rate. Hours can be all over the place. retail hours.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for college kids, horrible for everything else

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSlight flexibility in schedule, discounts, retail sales associates camaraderie.

ConsTerrible upper management and sales floor management. They say flexible scheduling and that asking for days off is easy but its like pulling teeth to get days off that you had previously requested.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease remember that for most employees, this is not their career choice, this is a pay the bills job. Im not saying they shouldn't take their responsibilities seriously, but dont treat them like they are getting more than minimum wage. Excite employees by rewarding successes, don't show favoritism.

Inspiring environment and fun to get dressed up everyday

Seattle, WA

Pros-Company is always setting the bar high for visual displays. Customers are very brand loyal.
    -There is "newness" in the store very often due new rshipment arriving multiple times a week.
    - Shifts go by quickly due to fast paced environment, most associates are cross trained
    - Generous discount
    - Always smells great!

Cons- Expectations too high and unrealistic given the high volume of the store and faulty company technology and limited sales floor coverage and lack of appropiate payroll. Turnover rate at this specific store is exceptionally high as a direct result.
    - Managers seem they are spread very thin and get burned out due to unfair scheduling and micromanagement from high level managers. Many managers in training do not see long-term growth for this reason.
    - Difficult to schedule time off or make any plans, specfically for associates. Pay is considerable low especially for associates who are expected to be available for "on-call" shifts, but may not actually work many hours. I
    - Pay does not reflect the roles and responsibilities of middle and lower management given the exceeding expectations.
    - Work/life balance non-existent. Salaried managers consistantly work over-time and not compensated, however it is the expectation.
    - Leaders are not given appropiate time to develop and train their team, many leadership positions remain open for an extended period of time.

Advice to Senior Management- Turnover rate is a direct result of mismanagement and unnecessary stressful work environment.

Beautiful people and beautiful merchandise

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsI have been working at Anthropologie for exactly 7 months already, and I love it. Management is friendly and understanding. I love all the people I work with. Very generous discount!

Cons1. Store closes Monday-Saturday at 9 pm, but we usually leave around 11:30 because some of the managers take forever to finish up in the office.
    2. Customers can be very demanding, but it's alright.
    3. ALL employees must have their bags and wallets checked prior to leaving the store. It could get pretty annoying at times. There used to be a lot of internal theft though, so I understand why they do it.
    4. Eight hour shifts are tiring and stressful.

Enjoyable for a retail job

Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosfun atmosphere, discount discount discount - you get it at free people, urban, and anthro! outfitting people is also enjoyable

Consits retail - the hours suck and requesting time off can be a pain. store must look immaculate before leaving, making closes awful.

Dream part time job for a college girl who loves the brand

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

Pros40% discount on all merchandise (except home goods) from Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, and Free People; specials once a month where you got 60% off a certain number of products

Consdid not get scheduled often, a lot of on call shifts where i was never actually called in

Fantastic brand with great leadership.

Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe people are great to work with and passionate about the brand.

ConsOverall compensation tends to be lower than industry.

Great Place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

Prosthe atmosphere
    the team
    the discount
    the clothes
    the customers

Consno full time benefits
    the music is in french
    late night shifts are horrible
    every one called out often
    time off policies

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Worked for Anthropologie? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Anthropologie reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Anthropologie CEO David W. McCreight. All 408 reviews posted anonymously by Anthropologie employees.