Anthropologie
www.anthropologie.com Philadelphia, PA 5000+ Employees

Anthropologie Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

David W. McCreight

Pros:
  • "Great Discount & lots of interaction with customers and coworkers"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Employee Discount was great and the work environment smelled nice with all the candles"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "On-Call Shifts show a huge disrespect to the employees"
    in 47 reviews
  • "management does not have a ton of respect for PT Sales Associates, talk down to you"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for more than a year

Prosgreat people
discount
beautiful displays
beautiful clothing
training is fantastic

I have worked here for over two years. They are very flexible when it comes to scheduling. That is a definite pro because most places have strict policies.

Conspromotion is difficult
senior sales positions are based upon whether or not the store manager likes you
the store needs to be more "green" aka recycle

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most dedicated employees don't get promoted, even if you've been working for the company for over a year. Seriously lacking when it comes to recognizing those who have gradually been improving. The people getting hired for management positions haven't been with the company long or are chosen out of the blue. It's hard to move up unless your manager likes you... definite bias.

A fun, creative learning environment.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Anthropologie full-time for more than a year

Pros- Merchandising Experience
- Managing store budget/payroll
- High energy and fast paced environment
- Fun creative work environment
- Interesting intelligent coworkers

Cons- Level of intensity on sales floor

Advice to Senior Management- Make sure you have enough associates on staff.

Great clothes and even better coworkers

Senior Customer Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Anthropologie full-time

ProsSurrounded by creatively inspiring product and people all day. The discount is great. They switch everyone around every hour from fitting room to cashwrap to restock, etc. which keeps you on your toes.

ConsDuring slow times sales associates don't get enough hours so if this is your only source of income it gets hard to pay the bills once the holidays are over. Also, management doesn't give you much feed back on how you are doing as an individual which can make it hard to know what you need to improve on.

Senior Customer Care Associate

Senior Customer Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun and creative environment to work in. The customers are the best part of working here. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met and it's easy to truly make a connection. They are loyal and it feels like you are working with friends. I love the overall culture and values of the store. Most times, you are working with other women who share the same values and vision for the business. Such a positive place to work. Flexible scheduling. They really care about fitting a schedule to your life.

ConsNot enough hours for a part time associate. When business drops, so does the payroll. That means that your hours get cut. If you depend on that salary, it makes it difficult to manage. Hard working and talented associates will be forced to leave and look for work elsewhere. It is hard to move up with in the company. There should be continued training. It shouldn't stop after you are a new hire.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your senior associates to take on more leadership roles.

Great perks, Job Satisfaction Dependent on Management

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for more than 3 years

Prosdiscount
learn various aspect of the retail world
they'll keep your job for you if you need to take a leave of absence

ConsHours are hit/miss depending on time of year and whether or not management is happy with you
Politics
Unfair pay structure - inconsistent
I found the ratings were all over the place. Times I thought I worked hard I was scored really low, and times I thought I was average I was scored really high
It's hard to move up with the company for a lot of people. I've seen people wanting to move up, who would go up one rung and be stuck there. It's easier if you're already in management to get promoted than non-management to management

Advice to Senior ManagementMistakes can happen and they shouldn't eradicate years of experience with the company
If people complain who never complain, listen.
The rating system needs to get overhauled, it's not consistent from person to person and since it dictates pay raises...

3 years of fun

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Anthropologie full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat working environment
Flexible hours
Lots of fun

ConsHard to move up
Spend all your money at work

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more in-depth look at your in-store talent before outsourcing.

Great job to have for a few years and to meet people--great discount

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Anthropologie full-time for more than a year

ProsThe discount is definitely a pro, 40% off of clothing at all UO companies, and 25% off of home goods. I met really interesting people working here, and definitely honed my people skills.

ConsDefinitely had to deal with some high-maintenance customers, and occasionally a boring shift, but that's what happens sometimes when you work retail. Pay was not very high, and only got one 25 cent raise in my two years working there.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Anthropologie part-time

ProsGreat people working there.

ConsYour schedule is weekly making it hard to plan and given a lot of on-call times which you are rarely called in, but ultimately cannot make plans just in case.

Room for Growth but also fast turnover

Home Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Anthropologie full-time for more than a year

ProsRoom for growth, acknowledgement for initiative, creative and hands on. Good perks and benefits. Decent salary ranges. CEO is amazing and very easy to talk to. The product is generally something that you can believe in and promote. Also the culture is one that is respectable.

ConsFast turnover rate and lots of movement which can be good but could also mean you are working with different managers frequently and not everyone is always in it for the betterment of the company. Inconsistencies exist with such turnover. Not much communication between Store Ops and Home Office.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrequent managers meetings result in everyone being on the same page and ensures everyone is here for HER and the company. Upper management should not look down on the little man (aka associates- I hate one DM who would not look me in the eye).

Very Exacting

Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat employee discount and fun people for the most part. Managers will work with you to an extent.

ConsYou can easily get stuck working in a particular "zone" of the store, especially if you are a seasonal employee, and if you don't get cash trained right away, management won't bother doing it. At least in my store, they wouldn't let you work fitting room for 6 months or something ridiculous. I was hired for seasonal and then given almost no hours. The only girls who got hours were register trained.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility.

Worked for Anthropologie? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Anthropologie reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Anthropologie CEO David W. McCreight. All 357 reviews posted anonymously by Anthropologie employees.