Anthropologie

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.3

David W. McCreight

Pros
  • Great discount considering you are not required to wear the clothing at work (in 66 reviews)

• Employee Discount was great and the work environment smelled nice with all the candles (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • All associates are scheduled for multiple on-call shifts per week--no matter the season (in 60 reviews)

• If you are looking for anything beyond part time work I would give it a miss (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Such a creative and awesome company to work for!

Former Employee - Operations Department Manager  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Department Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Anthropologie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Anthropologie is a fun and inspiring company to work for. They value individual creativity and are open to new ideas. Good discount, great group of people to work with.

Cons

Each store and store manager is different... as a manger you might work 8-9 days in a row. It can be exhausting especially when you only get two weeks of vacation a year.

Try to make it a priority to only schedule your managers 5 days in a row. It might be beneficial to have more department managers to give everyone a more manageable schedule. I would still be with Anthropologie if I could actually spend some holiday's with my family.

seasonal associate

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gorgeous clothes, short shifts, awesome discount to Anthro and its affiliates

Cons

Staff could be snooty at times

Creative and fun work enviornment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I worked at Anthropologie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun staff
    Flexible hours
    Clothing discount
    Lots of training
    Frequent communication of updates and changes

Cons

Not much growth potential
    No follow-up after review process

Take note of the hard works and promote them over your work chums.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, great discount, no room for promotions

Current Employee - Customer Associate  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discount, great atmosphere, lots of staff so find people to give or take shifts from is easy

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to being promoted and if your part time, hours are always based on weekly and monthly earnings so the fluctuation can be major.

When part time and needing a certain amount of hours to maintain and honest living let employees know what they can absolutely GUARENTEE for least amount of hours schedueld.

Awesome!

I worked at Anthropologie

Pros

The company culture is unique and fun right off the bat!

Cons

Long hours and not a lot of direction given from management

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

Anthropologie is easily the most enjoyable place I have ever worked. The environment is friendly and supportive, everyone really works together, and the managers are humble, helpful, and very approachable. The Anthro customer is so enjoyable that sometimes helping them doesn't even feel like work, it just feels like helping a friend. There is a creative atmosphere at Anthropologie like I have never experienced in a retail workplace. I love that Anthro is not solely focused on selling, but also puts a big focus on aesthetics and creativity as well as building relationships with the customers. I feel that I have grown hugely as a person and professional, and I've only spent three months here!

Cons

My biggest challenge has been not receiving enough hours. While it's clear that hours are earned, not given at random, and I have been receiving more hours slowly but steadily, it can be very frustrating to start out with only four or five hours a week.

Be a little more open about what you want to see in an associate if they want more hours but haven't earned them yet! Sometimes I receive so much positive feedback from my managers, and then that praise isn't reflected in my hours whatsoever. It's nice to feel valued and complimented, but actions speak louder than words! If there's something I can do better, I would rather know than not know.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, employers are welcoming

Cons

The hours are not very flexible.

okay

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible hours
    friendly co workers
    beautifully decorated store

Cons

preferential treatment
    no seniority
    senior "status" based on people they like, not based on time there

too obvious about favorties

Very disorganized, passionate staff

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

-No commission- this is both a pro and a con. On the one hand, it is not a very "competitive" environment, which is nice starting out. However, the pay remains consistently quite low because of this.
    -Team members very willing to help others- quick to assist in dressing room, fitting room, etc if you have any questions
    -Passionate about the companies' products. People really love the products and this is clear to the customers. Generally a positive, upbeat feeling in the store
    -Seems to be plentiful opportunities for advancement- can advance to a mid-manager position in 6ish months. Seems like it happens if you stick around long enough
    -Overall a nice work environment- comfortable store, nice music, aesthetically pleasing
    -Overall good camaraderie between coworkers, even with new employees

Cons

-Managers condescending at times
    -No commission
    -Hectic, disorganized scheduling- requests for days off rarely granted, very difficult to find a sub. Certainly not very "flexible" as far as retail goes. Could benefit from digital scheduling instead of manually submitting conflicts to manager.
    -Too many on-call times and frequently released very early...even received last-minute phone calls telling me not to come in. Could never plan ahead and got paid significantly less than it appeared I would on weekly schedule.
    -Everything so disorganized- I didn't get my employee discount card for months and my family never got their card to take advantage of the discount

Switch to digital scheduling or find a way to be more organized and accountable. Greatly reduce on-call times as it is extremely unattractive for such low wages.

Not suitable for anyone looking to make a living wage

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount is quite generous especially during employee appreciation. If you are a college student and you don't need steady income then you'll be satisfied working here.

Cons

The majority of the hours are on call so you if you like stability then this might not be the place for you. There also isn't much room for growth and promotions. You can expect to get your hours cut because the payroll is always so tight.

Management seems to operate from position of who they like versus who they don't like. If you're not that well liked, prepare to work in the fitting room for most of your shifts. If they like you, you'll be a cash-wrap queen. They also never give you enough time to complete tasks.

Anthropologie Photos

Anthropologie
Anthropologie Store
Maple Rd.
Anthropologie sign in Corte Madera

+ Add Photo

Worked for Anthropologie? Contribute to the Community!