Anthropologie Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
583 reviews filtered by
3.3
David W. McCreight

Pros
  • Great discount considering you are not required to wear the clothing at work (in 84 reviews)

• Employee Discount was great and the work environment smelled nice with all the candles (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • On- Call Shifts ** This is perhaps one of my biggest gripes with Anthropologie (in 66 reviews)

• If you are looking for anything beyond part time work I would give it a miss (in 30 reviews)

1. Great work ethics

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Anthropologie part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Trained in multiple fields
    Never a dull moment
    Great staff
    Amazing discounts

Cons

Hours
    Ability for transition into a different position is limited.

2. overall, good experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Anthropologie

Pros

fun working environment
    awesome employee discount

Cons

work can be tedious at times

3. Sales Associate

I worked at Anthropologie

Pros

Company and workers are very nice. Decent pay for a sales associate

Cons

sometimes hard to make sure you get days you've requested off, but overall not bad

5. Good sales associate experience, but not for wallflowers

I have been working at Anthropologie

Pros

Loved the Anthro discount, general work environment, and managers and sales associates were very friendly/ easy to work with. Everyone is very creative-- definitely a distinct culture of people and product.

Cons

As a self described introvert, the position was very demanding. I constantly had to be upbeat and chat up customers. Probably obvious to everyone but myself, but I figured that if I liked the product (which I did), selling would be easy. Not so...the position took a lot of energy out of me and I eventually had to quit & find a job with limited face-to-face customer service.

6. In terms of retail its a great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The community in each store is very important to all of the employees and the managers.

Cons

Upper management has a tendency to ignore the smaller things that are very important to the associates.

Take the time to notice the things going on around you aside from the customer. A kind word or a softer tone of voice can go a long way. Training newer associates should also have a higher priority.

7. Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Anthropologie part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved working with the company for my design Internship.

Cons

I later worked as a sales associates. I discovered that the company expects A LOT from their employees and sales associates are very undervalued.

Treat sales associates with more compassion

8. Um....I guess it pays 1 bill.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time (less than a year)

Pros

some people. the atmosphere. the smell. the discount.

Cons

bad training. there seems to be a clique, very hard to get in. judgmental people. no sense of urgency. lacks ideas for better performances. people seem to be in left field. no 'good jobs.' no personal growth. on call shifts. low hours.

Keep people involved....make them feel like they belong. Try new things.

9. All of your money goes back to the company!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Anthropologie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has many people who have been working there for years. There is a strong sense of family, especially at the corporate level. Every year the company strives to delight customers with dazzling displays and product that fulfills the whimsical brand. The discount is pretty good.

Cons

The company expects a high level of customer care but makes it difficult to ensure that the proper staffing is made available to make it happen. Store Managers constantly have to evaluate the level of their staff, paying them low wages, but bringing high demands. There is a constant flow of hiring and interviewing. Instead of building solid teams that are paid more and are trained to be future managers, they hire seasonally, and have high rates of turnover.

Speak up for everything you need to make sure your customers have the amazing experience the company expects them to have.

10. Job satisfaction depends on what you're looking for.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Anthropologie part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a great job for someone who wants a supplemental income and a great employee discount and isn't depending on good pay or a lot of hours. The store smells amazing, sweet snacks are readily available to stave off shift hunger, and most coworkers are helpful and have positive attitudes. A seasonal position is a good way to learn a lot in a short amount of time and is also a good way to see if you want to go further with the company.

Cons

Seasonal training is very basic and vague (many unanswered questions), employees are competing with other seasonal employees for a permanent position, and it's clear toward the end of the season who will become a permanent hire based on who receives more attention from management. Experience, education, creativity, and leaderships skills don't guarantee a permanent position, but rather who managers "like" the most, usually young and less experienced girls.
    Employees are always tempted, and encouraged, to shop, and often kiss their small paychecks goodbye.
    As with any retail job, it's a very physical, always on your feet and often climbing ladders.
    Bag checks upon leaving the store on breaks and end of shifts can be time consuming and intrusive. Tiny square locker was insufficient for purse, sweater, etc.,

Better training for seasonal employees saves time. Don't gossip with other managers or employees, especially in front of other employees. Store should be cleaner and more sanitary, not just pretty and organized.

11. Wonderful

I have been working at Anthropologie

Pros

Incredible company culture. Great co-workers, fantastic energy and creativity.

Cons

long hours, not the best salary