Anvil Corp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Wakefield

Great small company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bellingham, WA

ProsGreat retirement benefits pay fine for area

Consno training young or old work force no mid level people

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time with subordinates

Good people, mediocre management

Piping Designer (Current Employee)
    Bellingham, WA

ProsSome very talented and friendly coworkers. Beautiful Pacific Northwest location. Flexible working hours, good benefits and generous ESOP. Also, good company contribution to 401k.

ConsManagement is limited in their skill sets, being mostly made up of promoted project engineers. The quality of the work and infrastructure seem to be slowly deteriorating over the years as decisions are made on a project-by-project basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out from your people what the core strengths of the company are that are not related to a single project. Hold managers at a higher performance standard since they set company direction.

A good place to start a career

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bellingham, WA

ProsThe company offers great opportunities to new engineers as they have an aging workforce and this are experiencing a growth period. Management uses interesting methods to retain young professionals.

ConsIt is very easy to stall in your career for middle tiered experienced professional. Career paths are not always typically followed and succession plans are made well in advance of a vacancy being known to the rank and file. This does not allow the rank and file employees an opportunity to express interest for positions with more opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your resources with respect and communicate career advancement opportunities to your resource pool to determine who has interest in being your future leaders.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Develop Engineering Skills in Oil and Gas Industry

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
    Bellingham, WA

ProsHonestly, I feel like I got lucky getting hired into this company right out of college. There's kind of a bi-modal distribution of experience at Anvil in the Process group: everybody (for the most part) is either under 5 years of experience or over 20. That's a wealth of knowledge to tap into if you're a new process/chemical engineer wanting to work in the energy industry.

One thing I feel like I did not take advantage of at Anvil as much as I should have was their *generous vacation policies. Anvil starts you out with 2 weeks a year of vacation. Standard, you may say. But there's more--because it's a consulting firm, if you are able to work over 40 hours (which is project dependent) you can bank those extra hours as either time off or straight pay [for salaried employees]. You can also buy more vacation days if you take the corresponding decrease in salary. Some people aren't willing to take that pretty minor hit for more time off, but I certainly was. I wish I had done it two years sooner.

The company executives are very approachable and it's definitely got a "mom and pop" feel to the company. You can learn a lot--within the fairly narrow range of work that they do (downstream and mistream).

It's an employee owned company. Your shareholders are you and your fellow employees. This is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.

The "on the surface" base-pay is competitive and they genuinely do work to make sure that they are paying fair market value for their people. For example, one day my boss called me and told me my pay was getting raised 11% because they realized they were paying me below market value--then a few months later at my annual review, my pay was raised again. There seems to be a vested interest in making sure that they take care of their employees. That is really rare to find.

You're also paid for every hour that you work. You're not putting in 50 hour weeks without seeing the benefit for it--that's either an extra 10 hours of pay or 10 hours vacation.

ConsIt is a fairly narrow range of work. Because it's a smaller company, it's somewhat geographically limited, which in turn makes it limited in the scope of the kind of work that you get to do. You will almost exclusively be doing refinery revamp work: hydraulic analysis, PSV's, maybe the occasional debottlenecking study. It's not as sexy as working as an engineer on the production side, but I really think in your first few years you are actually exposed to more true engineering problems than your peers that go to work for the refiners. Past those first few years, however, I think you may become stunted in breadth of skills. You may become really, really good at doing a fairly narrow field.

I think their vesting period is fairly long--6 years. They claimed it was fairly standard, but most of what I have heard is 3-5 years to be fully vested.

There are many kinds of repetitive work in the world. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding out what kind of repetitive work you can do. The work I was doing at Anvil was the same kind of work over and over and over again, and I was worried I'd be doing the same thing for the next several years.

The office buildings are awful. It's something small that I think would make a big difference to employees--make sure that the heating/cooling capacities of the building are up to par. Our offices were routinely 83 F in the summer. Try doing repetitive work at that temperature.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, I think you guys do a great job. I felt like Iwas valued and that making sure I was taken care of was a top priority of management. My only gripes were about the kind of work that was done (which is really more just a personal preference). But it's also good to ask your employees if they are satisfied with the kind of work that they are doing.

See what venues you can expand your business into. You have quality people and an excellent quality management system. I think you're actually under-selling yourselves.

Great company to work for!

Bellingham, WA

ProsAnvil is an employee-owned company, which promotes positive teamwork and a one-for-all, all-for-one atmosphere -- in general, everyone wants everyone else to do well, as all benefit.

ConsAnvil has historically been focused on oil & gas (upstream and refining) revamp work, so staffing levels have been subject to the ups and downs of oil prices; however, they are actively trying to diversify into other indutries to dampen this trend.

You Want to Work There

PC Systems Developer (Current Employee)
    Bellingham, WA

ProsUnlimited coffee, friendly people, lots of cool stuff to do. Pays well.

ConsManagement cannot give as much feedback as probably necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like more feedback about my performance. Increase management.

Great Place to work

Process Engineer IV (Current Employee)
    Bellingham, WA

ProsNo politics, Good place for engineers to work, Great place to live, Lots of time off. Flat management

ConsLack of advancement opportunities because the orginization is so flat..

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to communicate more.

Worked for Anvil Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Anvil Corp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Anvil Corp CEO Jim Wakefield. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Anvil Corp employees.