Aon

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Aon corporation review

Various (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent professional environment, commercial business

ConsDo the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more objective and avoid rewarding pet employees that cater to their bosses

Account Specialist

Account Specialist (Current Employee)
Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople here are great. There are many opportunities to move around.

ConsA lot of employees. Hard to get acknowledge by senior management.

Good place to work

Paralegal (Former Employee)

I worked at Aon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbility to develop leadership skills through mentoring programs. Office location near millennium park was nice.Great benefits.

ConsBig corporate structures with lots of layers of personnel. Sometimes it felt like being a cog in a very big wheel. But that comes with the size of the company.

Business Technical Analyst 1

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Aon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYour working experience varies by department or team. The culture and attitude is definitely "can do," "get it done," which is great! Aon has great career/employee resources in place, you just have to look for them. It's easy to find mentors and interesting projects in which to participate. Promotions don't come easy. Having great working relationships with management and demonstrating the ability to lead and getting things done will go a long way. Overall, Aon is relatively stable, very structured and global. You will work with very smart people. Aon is definitely a resume builder if you're fresh out of undergrad.

ConsAs with most companies, office politics can play a huge role in the day-to-day work. Depending on your department/team, it can be difficult to make an impact because 1) someone already tried/has done it 2) understanding the global implications, while critical, is time consuming/expensive 3) it takes just one of the many CEOs/COOs/CIOs etc. to derail your project 4) the existing processes/controls can hinder getting anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand why people leave and do something about it. Accelerate the consolidation/simplification of the global organization. Cut out the fat in senior management.

Lots of flexibility. Offices nationwide so you can move and stay with the company.

Underwriter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany locations and positions so you can move around a lot. Coworkers have been kind and driven. Work for home and flex time growing. Company matches 6% of 401k.

ConsSalary is not always tied to results. Being part of a massive corp means your departement can be overlooked by those at the top. Poor communication between businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure business unit performance is tied to bonus/salary. Bad years result in a smaller bonus, so a great year should mean a great bonus. If its a good year, pay like it!

Overall

Director (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent work/life balance - great people work at Aon

ConsCompensation - Career Advancement - Lacks Consistency

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on re-zoning the entire firm - You need a strong OD person on board

Good work experience

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Aon as a contractor for less than a year

ProsYou have people that will help you adjust and learn the position better, it does provide a great resume and work experience in a different view of customer service. Also the pay was good.

ConsDistance and travel time is horrible weather you drive or on public transportation its awful. Temporary position is said to be treated like a permanent employee that's not the case; you have no sick days, holidays are scheduled off without pay at the last minute its a very large company so communication comes in waves. Training is not uniformed founded it difficult to honestly get a feel for the company and co-workers if you didn't train with your co-workers you wouldn't know the people around you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining needs to be uniformed, company for the most part feels divided.

not a great place to work

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Aon full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood benefits. lack of structure

Consleadership team (top down) is completely disconnected from reality

Advice to Senior Managementtake initiative in increasing the low engagement

Cost reduction is more important than retaining good employees

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo workers are great, work/life balance

ConsCompensation increases, technology, office space, politics

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have been told over the past few years that improvements are being made regarding employee engagement and development, but there have been minimal changes. It is very hard to retain my employees and a lot of time is rehiring and training new employees.

Great company, experience depends on the team

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBusiness underlying strength , comp, location

ConsLimited opportunity for strategy consultant

Worked for Aon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aon reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aon CEO Greg Case. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Aon employees.