Aon Hewitt Reviews

good friendly

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt

Pros

good friendly flexible nice for working mothers

Cons

low pay no growth monotonous job

2. Not A Bad Place But A Far Place

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers and some really helpful "AH Coaches". Benefits offered to contractors.

Cons

Call reviews twice a week is a bit much. Super far from everything. Seriously the place is in the middle of nowhere. People commute from far away. Some out of state. The staffing company are pains in the rear end. As a contractor, you have a very limited amount of "points" that you can take off/arrive late/take off early before they fire you. Some of the "AH Coaches" are just plain evil. It all depends on who you get. 30-minute lunch sucks!

Advice to Management

Increase the point system for contractors. After 5 or 6 months, you can't really expect people not to have emergencies, child care issues or doctor appointments that is not doing the work week.

3. Accomodating

Current Employee - Health and Benefits Consultant in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Health and Benefits Consultant in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt

Pros

Concerned with attrition and training
    lateral movement options
    promotes from within

Cons

strict schedule adherence necessary
    experience and opportunity can largely depend on what client you get aligned to initially

5. HW Systems Analyst

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work life balance. Flex time or alternate work schedules.
    - No micro - management.
    - Good benefits. Company match 401K, employee stock options.
    - Colleagues are always willing to help.

Cons

- No set definition of company culture.
    - Low engagement.
    - Below industry average in pay.
    - Working harder is not rewarded, only gives more tasks to work harder on.

Advice to Management

- None, engagement is a issue and management is trying to address it.

Terrible company to work for if you want management that is accountable, encouraging, and consists of real leaders

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt

Pros

401(k) match is one of the best that I've gotten anywhere I've worked

Ability to work independently most of the time

Cons

Extremely low morale from every single person that I've spoken with

Management that is clueless at best. I've worked there for over 5 years and have only been told "nice job" or "thank you" twice I think. No matter how hard you work, how dedicated you are, how many vacation days you lose each year, or how many sacrifices you make you will never be rated more than a 3 (on a scale of 1 to 5) unless you suck up to your manager - just doing your job, keeping your clients extremely happy, working late hours, etc. will not cut it at this company. The lack of appreciation that this company shows is appalling. They recently created a "Stars" program where a manager can nominate an employee for a $25 gift card as a way to say thank you. However, to get the award (the $$$ amount is actually pretty insulting), the manager must make a strong case for the award and it has to get about 3 - 4 levels of approval. All for a $25 gift card!!!

Don't bother complaining about anything at this company. Management will NOT listen - period. My manager recently "reviewed" my performance for last year. I say "reviewed" because they spent the whole time telling me how it's my fault that the company does not bill the client for all of the work that we do. When I protested and said it's up to the Partner to decide what he wants to bill or not and that he has access to all of the billing reports, I was told that it's my fault for failing to go over the billing with the Partner. I don't even have access to the billing reports and have never had a billing discussion with the client (and it's been at least 3 years since I had one with the Partner). Yeah, it's my fault. Again, management wants no responsibility for anything and offers no encouragement whatsoever. Instead, they just enjoy beating you down every chance they get.

No opportunities whatsoever for non-actuaries. There are simply no career opportunities for people that have any type of degree outside of the actuarial field. I've worked there for 5+ years and no one has ever told me what I need to do to get to the next level. In other words, there is no next level for many of us Career outlook: non-existent.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that can manage rather than simply sticking people in management positions because they've been there since the ice age.

7. Benefits Advisor

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Lincolnwood, IL
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Lincolnwood, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, Sales Bonus, Work Life Balance, Benefits (401K Match)

Cons

Upper management drops the ball a lot in regards to getting BA's the proper info that they need. We spend a lot of time being reactive, and fixing unnecessary customer issues. Sales Managers are too focused on moving up, and do not always provide great assistance to their team. Also, BA's bonuses are always delayed and manipulated in some way, which is very discouraging. Many of the Quality Manager's are full of themselves, and need more training themselves.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the lower level employees in the Sales and Service Center, and acknowledge their concerns. Provide more hands on or real life training during On-boarding.

8. Benefits Advisor

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good position if you are trying to get into sales. They have extensive training and they do a good job of preparing you if you have no prior Medicare knowledge.

Cons

You get stuck being a benefits advisor. They tell you after about a year you can move up quickly but that is not the case. People that have been there for several years and do well in sales are still just a benefits advisor.

Advice to Management

Need more opportunity for growth for benefits advisors. Also, after AEP (annual enrollment period) there is a lot of downtime with too much VTO available. You need to find something for your benefits advisors to do or loan them out to other parts of the business.

Setup Config Spec- Contractor

Former Employee - Setup Config Spec in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Setup Config Spec in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn, Hard working people, Remote work opportunity

Cons

No training to contractors, No job security

You get lost in the mix with so many employees here. You can work here years and not be noticed.

Current Employee - Invoice Liaison in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Invoice Liaison in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The laid back culture. The cafe is pretty awesome. Benefits are okay. Depending on job and manager you have work from home flexibility. Free coffee and tea. And a Starbucks!

Cons

Parking is impossible with how many people work here. Impersonal bosses. The commute from chicago is brutal whether you drive or catch the train.

Advice to Management

Get a grip. Recognize efforts. Too many townhall meetings and not enough personal recognition. More parking availability. More team building opportunities

Know what you are getting into.

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist - Medicare in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist - Medicare in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To get your foot in the door in the hope of being able to move to another position within the company for growth.

Cons

Micro-management of everything that you do from lunch hour to customer calls to asking questions. Team Leaders are only protective of their "favorites". Treat employees like cattle. Mandatory overtime during peak season & expected to work from 52 to 70 hours per week.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like adults and learn that employees are people who want to do a good job.