Aon Hewitt

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.0 1,064 reviews

Aon Hewitt CEO Kristi Savacool

Kristi Savacool

Pros
  • There is ample room for growth and the company seems to really respect work-life balance(in 154 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule where you can work from home or remotely(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is a bit of concern at times(in 60 reviews)

• No work / life balance expect to work holidays(in 16 reviews)

1,064 Employee Reviews

Customer Service Associate

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsBig, global company. Cafeteria on site.

ConsEverything started out fine and looked promising. You get 4 weeks of training in the beginning but when you get put on the phones, you discover that the things you just spent 4 weeks reviewing aren't really relevant. The training materials were outdated. More was expected out of you than was even possible. Be prepared to be timed when you go to the restroom. Be prepared to get to work 30 minutes before you start getting paid so that you can get the ancient computers and software you have to use on and ready to work. Also, they're moved the entire team that assist the CSAs to India, so be prepared to go back and forth for days or even weeks with someone who has a very loose grasp on the english language about very technical health insurance subjects. Everyone hates it there. Every single person I spoke to was in the process of looking for another job. I started with a 33 person training group. Within one month, there were only 8 left. When I left after 5 months, there were 2 left. Oh, also, prepare to be treated like a child. The management approaches the CSAs as if they already know you are a their and a liar. For example, if you had to attend a funeral, you will be made to produce an obituary, even if you have never missed work or requested off before. I've never been treated with such disrespect from an employer, and after experiencing a loss at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some investment into your low-level employees. Don't treat them like nameless animals heading to the slaughter. Reputation means something, and anybody who knows a previous employee knows about Aon.

It was okay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a great company to work for depending on your role. There are areas where you can easily move up in your position as well.

ConsBenefits. Salary/Hourly pay is not great for the work and time you put in. Underrated employees and managers with no knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more courses that will provide you with skills to run and operate a team.

The internship program will get you used to working in a professional setting.

Benefits Operations Administrator (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe people are very friendly and are willing to help you if you need it. If you show any type of self initiative they will love you and most likely offer you a full time position (thats what internships are usually for). If this is your first time working in an office setting it is a great learning experience. It is also a great resume booster because Aon is a well known international company. It's kinda like the movie Office Space but more relaxed.

ConsIt is a VERY large company and you can get lost in the chain if you are not careful. The industry itself is a dull industry to be in. It's not HR, it is benefits management. Since the company has been around for a long time, different rules apply to different clients/companies and it can confuse you even though you have been there for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining doesn't help you very much. I would start by focusing on the big picture and work your way down the chain all the way to the interns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Aon Hewitt is somewhat lucrative, but is defined by mediocrity and lack of upside.

Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey are fairly lenient with work from home policies. Compensation is not terrible.

ConsCompensation is not always tied to clear cut incentives. Management persistently creates unattainable goals for bonus payouts, leading to poor bonuses. Inconsistent values and culture. Consistently terrible IT and systems performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to create clear-cut values that lead to promotion; there is a clear imbalance among skillsets and talent levels in middle-management. Questionable hiring practices and leadership choices leave offices unmoored. Higher incentive based pay would definitely increase drive among workforce.

Benefits Operation Analyst

Benefits Operations Administrator (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsExcellent place to work to get experience in the business world. Training is an ongoing process - keeps workers informed of all changes to process.

ConsPay is not the best, advancement is limited if you want to change area you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits are decent - at least I thought, but I did hear a number of people complain about them. As for personal growth I think it is limited if you want to get into a specific area.

Ok company to work for

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe company is employee friendly and provides good training opportunites

ConsNearly impossible for advancement on certain teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to train your employees for different aspect of the company at least give them a raise... taken on a floor supervisor position but getting paid csr wage is not acceptable.

Enrollment Health Benefit Agent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI had a cool manager.

ConsThey micro manage and it's a call center.

Great People and Culture

Lead Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

Pros- People
    - Flexibility with work schedule

Cons- Work/life balance
    - Pay
    - Lack of domain training
    - Low employee engagement
    - Leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on education and retention of both colleagues and clients.

First Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation was more than I expected.

ConsCulture - way too old, not much room for growth.

Aon Hewitt Business Analyst

Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Flexibility for remote workers
    -Decent pay
    -Decent benefits

Cons-Sales teams oversell, and implementation teams are left having to deliver the "bad" news that what was sold isn't exactly what can be delivered.
    -Lack of Account Team leadership. They schmooze the client, but rarely support the BAU teams when hot topics or escalations surface.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who actually spend day in and day out with the clients about what the client needs are. They know what the client pain points are as well as the dynamics or the client teams.

Worked for Aon Hewitt? Contribute to the Community!