Aon Hewitt

Aon Hewitt Reviews in Lincolnshire, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Aon Hewitt CEO Kristi Savacool

Kristi Savacool

Pros
  • There is ample room for growth and the company seems to really respect work-life balance(in 154 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule where you can work from home or remotely(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is a bit of concern at times(in 60 reviews)

• No work / life balance expect to work holidays(in 16 reviews)

139 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Large company trying to do the right thing

Communication (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsBroad range of interesting clients and industries, so that makes working for Aon Hewitt Interesting. Pretty good attempt by company culture to do the right thing. There are some really good people here who maintain good working relationships under challenging situations.

ConsTime requirements and demands can be challenging, sometimes lack of communication can be frustrating. Lack of ability to push business solutions that benefit clients are often hindered by slow company processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage independence and ability to fail when stretching for performance improvements. More flexibility negotiating contracts for outside vendors would be helpful.

A great team oriented atmosphere!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsEveryone on the team helped one another no matter what the skill level. All managers and leaders are available for resource during the shift time. There are no limits to the amount of sources to study or tap into in the company.

ConsTemporary position ended too soon, miss working with that team.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever change your positive approach! The personal attention that you show toward everyone is inspiring and reassuring that you want ALL employees to succeed. Keep up that supportive attitude!

I loved it here once

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsThe Benefits are good. If you get a good management team it can still be a good experience. Pay seems on par with the industry.

ConsWas a great place to work before going public. Perks and workplace environment have been steadily in decline since. Micromanagement is on the rise. Desks have been downgraded to shelves.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork alongside your teams, not by decree from above.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not anonymous

Contractor UI (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

Prosgreat cafeteria at HQ, remote work options

Conssome lack of communication when working remotely, can get lost on conference calls

Great job out of college

Delivery Specialist (Current Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsAon Hewitt is a solid company and is well respected in the business community for their expertise in benefits administration and consulting. You continually build your knowledge as you get exposed to various processes and different approaches to getting the work done. As a junior colleague I have already given the opportunity to work from home occasionally and the work life balance is pretty much what you want it to be. Benefits are great, they match up to 6% of your salary 100% if you contribute to a 401k and their stock purchase program is very generous. Time off and health insurance pricing is competitive as well. Casual dress code!

ConsColleague engagement is not where the company wants it to be, likely because many positions are offshore and work directly with those employed here in the US which makes communication and collaboration somewhat a chore. Compensation could be more generous, however if you are offered overtime (like I am) you can easily make that difference up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring some of the work back on shore to increase engagement. Labor costs are rising a lot quicker offshore than they are here, so the cost advantages are beginning to narrow anyway.

Very great experience!

Benefits Advisor (Current Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsThey offer great benefits that begin your first day!

ConsI have not been there long enough to notice any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advise, yet.

Great Opportunity For Go-Getters

Benefits Delivery Manager (Current Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsLarge company, several growth areas of to pursue career, many chances to take on additional responsibilities outside of job description, lots of great people surrounding you

ConsPay is okay, leadership is at times schizophrenic with direction & execution support, habit of spending lots of effort on initiatives then dropping them

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to boil the ocean with continuous improvement. Pick 5 things to improve at at time and focus 100% attention there limiting scope creep.

Benefits Operation Analyst

Benefits Operations Administrator (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsExcellent place to work to get experience in the business world. Training is an ongoing process - keeps workers informed of all changes to process.

ConsPay is not the best, advancement is limited if you want to change area you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits are decent - at least I thought, but I did hear a number of people complain about them. As for personal growth I think it is limited if you want to get into a specific area.

Customer Service Associate

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsBig, global company. Cafeteria on site.

ConsEverything started out fine and looked promising. You get 4 weeks of training in the beginning but when you get put on the phones, you discover that the things you just spent 4 weeks reviewing aren't really relevant. The training materials were outdated. More was expected out of you than was even possible. Be prepared to be timed when you go to the restroom. Be prepared to get to work 30 minutes before you start getting paid so that you can get the ancient computers and software you have to use on and ready to work. Also, they're moved the entire team that assist the CSAs to India, so be prepared to go back and forth for days or even weeks with someone who has a very loose grasp on the english language about very technical health insurance subjects. Everyone hates it there. Every single person I spoke to was in the process of looking for another job. I started with a 33 person training group. Within one month, there were only 8 left. When I left after 5 months, there were 2 left. Oh, also, prepare to be treated like a child. The management approaches the CSAs as if they already know you are a their and a liar. For example, if you had to attend a funeral, you will be made to produce an obituary, even if you have never missed work or requested off before. I've never been treated with such disrespect from an employer, and after experiencing a loss at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some investment into your low-level employees. Don't treat them like nameless animals heading to the slaughter. Reputation means something, and anybody who knows a previous employee knows about Aon.

Good place to start a career

SAS Statistical Researcher (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsGreat initial training
    Some great people
    Reward strong performers

ConsRed tape to get things done
    Culture is homogeneous and not allowed to respectfully disrupt
    Suburban location is isolating

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate the company better
    Push to have everyone learn how to use common technology platforms (e.g. SharePoint) and develop best practices.

Worked for Aon Hewitt? Contribute to the Community!