Aon Hewitt Reviews

3.1
1,196 Reviews

Aon Hewitt CEO Kristi Savacool
Kristi Savacool

Pros
  • There is ample room for growth and the company seems to really respect work-life balance (in 171 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule where you can work from home or remotely (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance gets a little skewed at times, but the management ensures full flexibility (in 69 reviews)

• Long hours during peek times with tight deadlines however not impossible (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Operation Intern

I have been working at Aon Hewitt

Pros

Good team environment, good location (super close to subway, with many good restaurants), good team leader.

Cons

Pay is not good though, also the work seems to be a bit redundant, work environment does not feel inspiring

Satisfying Work, not compensated fairly for the work and revenue generated

Current Employee - Advanced Actuarial Associate in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Advanced Actuarial Associate in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great clients, Great employees to learn from, Great place to get a career started and learn the business

Cons

benefits? What benefits? The benefits are lacking, and so is engagement.

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time

Pros

The pay was good for a call center. Weekends off is always great! There is always help available from managers and coworkers as well. They have potlucks and other activities throughout the year to keep you motivated. Good Training.

Cons

Everything is closely monitored as far as performance on calls. ATTENDANCE POLICY SUCKS, VERY STRICT ON ATTENDANCE and they do not work with schedules as far as school etc.

none

Great Company!

Current Employee - Setup Configuration Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Setup Configuration Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The managers are very nice.

Cons

The walk from the parking lot is a journey sometimes.

Make things more fun around the office, please and thank you.

Below-Average Salary & Stressful Work Environment

Former Employee - Pension Administration Specialist
    Former Employee - Pension Administration Specialist

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) My coworkers made coming to work bearable. There is a sense of camaraderie among the workers in the office, although unfortunately it mostly stems from a severe disconnect between workers on the floor and lower level management.
    2) While the base salary is not even close to being competitive, the upside, at least in my case, was that I was eligible for overtime pay and was told I could work as many hours as I wanted, so the ball was more or less in my court to bring home more money than my base salary.
    3) There is a pretty good work-life balance. Even though there was more than enough work to go around, most employees were content to work their 40 hours and not one second more, and that was considered perfectly fine.
    4) The time-off package starting out was decent. There are only 5 company-wide days off, but starting out employees are given 10 vacation days, 6 personal days, and 5 sick days annually. Only sick time rolls over to the next year though.
    5) Immediately vested in 401(k). Company matches 6%. Pension was frozen years ago so don't expect any company sponsored retirement income.

Cons

Before I get started with the negative aspects of working at Aon Hewitt, let me state for the record that I resigned from my position after 2 years due to a variety of reasons built up over the entire duration of my employment.

1) For me, the most glaring problem with working at Aon Hewitt was the pay. The salaries are not competitive and the raises are not even worth mentioning. Starting salaries are about 5-10 thousand less than comparable positions at competing firms. Raises are far from being guaranteed, and for the lucky few who do get raises, 3% is considered an extremely good raise. Our office did very well and exceeded annual revenue goals, and still the employees saw no change in compensation. I brought this to the attention of management, and whether out of ignorance or denial, I was told that the base salaries and raises were fair and in line with the market, which is just simply objectively false and incredibly easy to refute using freely available data.
    2) There is a colossal disconnect between management and employees. My personal situation was such that my manager had very limited knowledge about our actual business - he was hired purely as a "manager." So I had one manager overseeing my day to day operations, but all of my work went through the 'project manager' who oversaw the client I focused on. That meant being pulled in two completely opposite directions every single day, with my manager insisting on micro-managing and prioritizing my daily workload which often ran counter to the instructions I received from the PM who dealt with my client. This sucked for me but it was really the client who got shafted by this arrangement. This problem seems so mind-numbingly obvious and easily correctable that it is absolutely baffling to me that it was allowed to carry on.
    3) This may seem dramatic, but I am not kidding or exaggerating when I say that almost every single employee dreaded coming into work every day at Aon Hewitt. Employees were berated and belittled by management on a daily basis, and were under constant fear of being fired with little or no warning or cause. One employee had a work-related nervous breakdown and had to go on medical leave for a period of time. Employee turnover was incredibly high - the bright young employees run for the hills quickly, since it is very easy to find a much higher paying job in a better working environment. The content employees who had worked there for years were primarily former teachers or came from other low-paying fields, and it seemed to me that they didn't have much concept of there being a slew of better opportunities out there. The ones who were willing to take abuse without ever speaking up for themselves were secure in their positions regardless of their job performance, while those who dared to think independently often found themselves packing their belongings in a cardboard box. I was only there for two years, and I was amazed by the employee turnover I witnessed.
    4) Moving to a different department within the company or moving to a different office altogether (even if staying in the same department) is nearly impossible. Each business unit is essentially in a bubble and more or less functions as its own company.
    5) For what it’s worth, I was told by a few coworkers that Aon Hewitt was not as bad as my office made it seem – these employees agreed that under different leadership, the day-to-day would be much more tolerable, and I was encouraged not to let the poor management at our office tarnish my view of Aon Hewitt as a whole. I can’t speak to the validity of that opinion, but in the spirit of objectivity I’ll include it.

Actuarial Associate

I worked at Aon Hewitt

Pros

Smart people who are very driven.

Cons

Expectation that they own you.

Benefits Administrator

Current Employee - Benefits Operations Administrator in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Benefits Operations Administrator in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really love the people and the culture. Very professional environment. Superiors don't oppress their subordinates. Great experience that is well recognized within the industry.

Cons

Not enough advancement opportunity especially for entry level positions. Pay increases can be better.

Pay increases can be better.

CSR

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time

Pros

the benefits is good, and company match 401k

Cons

Too many managers or CSRs wanting to be managers

Great place to work customer service. training program is very good. Allot of politics.

Former Employee - Customer Service Professional in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Professional in Orlando, FL

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

steady pay and mostly everyone is nice.

Cons

Allot of corporate politics, dog eat dog mentality for most. not really that fun of an atmosphere anymore but use to be depends on the team you get on.

Develop your reports for advancement. Create fun atmosphere not a stale one.

Prejudice towards men

Former Employee - Benefits Operations Administrator in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Benefits Operations Administrator in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good health benefits and vacation time

Cons

no men allowed to advance

hire more men in leadership roles