Aon Hewitt

3.0 1,045 reviews

Aon Hewitt CEO Kristi Savacool

Kristi Savacool

1,045 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "There is ample room for growth and the company seems to really respect work-life balance"
    in 135 reviews
  • "Can work from home most of the time, but there is no recognition for excessive overtime or 24x7 support"
    in 41 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance is a bit of concern at times"
    in 55 reviews
  • "Long hours during peek times with tight deadlines however not impossible"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not anonymous

Contractor UI (Former Employee)
    Lincolnshire, IL

Prosgreat cafeteria at HQ, remote work options

Conssome lack of communication when working remotely, can get lost on conference calls

Overall good company, personal experience with manager could make rating go up or down

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    North Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay, benefits. Large, stable company. Opportunity to work virtually - improving work/life balance.

ConsCareer pathing - sometimes feel you are stuck in your slot.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't load your lower level managers with so much "work" that they cannot manage their employees successfully. Managers often do not have the time to provide career guidance.

Upper management - never say on a conference call when discussing lower bonuses for the year that "you'd like to think people work here for more reasons than just money". Well, yeah, maybe we do, but money is a big piece of it. Raises are usually low and bonuses make that up.

Great company to work for who is always on the cutting edge

Benefits Operations Administrator (Current Employee)
    Hunt Valley, MD

ProsFlexible work schedule where you can work from home or remotely. A great group of people to work with who really care about their clients. The company embodies the team spirit. They are always trying to improve their client delivery.

ConsDuring some parts of the year there can be a lot of overtime and high stress. Raises are not large.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job out of college

Delivery Specialist (Current Employee)
    Lincolnshire, IL

ProsAon Hewitt is a solid company and is well respected in the business community for their expertise in benefits administration and consulting. You continually build your knowledge as you get exposed to various processes and different approaches to getting the work done. As a junior colleague I have already given the opportunity to work from home occasionally and the work life balance is pretty much what you want it to be. Benefits are great, they match up to 6% of your salary 100% if you contribute to a 401k and their stock purchase program is very generous. Time off and health insurance pricing is competitive as well. Casual dress code!

ConsColleague engagement is not where the company wants it to be, likely because many positions are offshore and work directly with those employed here in the US which makes communication and collaboration somewhat a chore. Compensation could be more generous, however if you are offered overtime (like I am) you can easily make that difference up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring some of the work back on shore to increase engagement. Labor costs are rising a lot quicker offshore than they are here, so the cost advantages are beginning to narrow anyway.

Great company to learn from

Client Specialist (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsLarge company, many location to chose from

ConsSlow growth, a lot of politics and red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter succession plans

Very great experience!

Benefits Advisor (Current Employee)
    Lincolnshire, IL

ProsThey offer great benefits that begin your first day!

ConsI have not been there long enough to notice any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advise, yet.

New to Aon Hewitt-Orlando!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsPleasant work environment with lots of natural beauty on the property, good and detailed training, full and excellent benefits, very secure building, and friendly and helpful co-workers : )

ConsBe prepared to learn a lot everyday. If the computer system ever goes down (you're SOL until it comes back up) and you must keep up with somewhat high expectations and criteria to get bonus and/or promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I really like this company and think everything is run really well. I guess the only thing I would say is that the attendance policy (timing adherence) can be pretty tough and there is a possibility that you will be moved around from your original department, which would stink if you really enjoyed it in that department.

Competitors pay more

LOA Claim Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPretty Good Benefits, relaxed dress code

ConsLack of true culture, promotion can be based on "who you know", poor communication and a lot of confusion

Advice to Senior ManagementTry using a true incentive plan and reward method, (fail & punish method not working)
    Be proactive instead of reactive
    Stop taking on new major clients before employees are in place to handle the workload
    Hire managers that really know what it means to "manage" and have experience

Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly co-workers and ability to learn a lot of different skills pertaining to medical benefits, pension, 401k, etc.

ConsStrict adherence and occurrence system. Could use better training system for new employees. Penalty is the same for someone who is 5 minutes late and someone who is 3 hours late.

Stressful, low paying, but good experience

DC Benefit Ops Manager - Large Market (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsI enjoyed the autonomy Aon-Hewitt gave me to develop innovate solutions. I certainly felt encouraged to grow. I also enjoyed my direct management 4 out of the 6 years I worked there.

ConsStressful! Often times under staffed working on hi demand clients with no opportunity. The only promotion I received was due to me threatening to leave the company. I was given little to no management training, and was constantly doing fire drills.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investment in technology
    Better recruitment - you may need to pay more to attract top talent
    Lack of opportunities and failure to rotate top performers through multiple client teams will continue to result in high turnover.

Worked for Aon Hewitt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aon Hewitt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aon Hewitt CEO Kristi Savacool. All 1,045 reviews posted anonymously by Aon Hewitt employees.