Aon Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Pros
  • There is okay work life balance just depending on who you work under in the company (in 27 reviews)

• Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

• There is very little room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong Leadership and good work life balance

Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work in a smaller office where management is very hands on and accessible. There are no boundaries to growth opportunities if you communicate and meet the standards set. Tools available to excel you your position are readily available.

Cons

Not many other than high standards set my local office.

Actuarial Intern

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Aon as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office Culture is great, there are continuously activities that gets everyone together.
    There was a great understaing with my manager.
    There are several opportunities to climb the ladder.

Cons

The number one challenge I had was commuting, the office is located in uptown.
    I tried the train for a few months but it was wearing me down. I ended up driving very early in the morning and leaving early to avoid traffic.

Overall positive experience, but it's a large company with typical large company issues.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to advance or move in other areas. Tons of resources to help you do a good job. Willing to pay good salaries for good employees. Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great.

Cons

Like all large companies, some teams have people very driven individually who don't think about the team as a whole. Advancement may require moving to another state if you outgrow your local office's opportunities. Very heavy workloads are expected and a 40 hour workweek doesn't exist.

Ensure that communication to the masses is a priority and don't rely on each individual office head.

Love it

Current Employee - Broker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Broker in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great management. Good team atmosphere. Good salary. Room to grow. Ethical company. I would recommend to college grads to start here and work your way up.

Cons

Stressful job t times. Company is public so corporate looks at margins all of the time. Easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Business Internship Program

I worked at Aon as an intern

Pros

Global leader in commercial insurance brokerage.
    Entrepreneurial office environment helps employees feel a sense of independence and personal involvement.
    Colleagues bring a lot to the table with their diverse backgrounds.

Cons

Insurance is a greying industry. I wasn't exposed to many young professionals at the office or through clients.
    Since company is so big, simple service requests can become quite difficult. IT support was the biggest problem I had there.

Seek out younger talent.

Current Employee in Information Technology

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People, schedule flexibility, diversity of work, network of organizational relationships

Cons

Senior I.T. Leadership, which is a revolving door of "smart people" who do nothing but repackage the same old dry and stale ideas without ever bothering to understand the organization and business partners they support, because they're all too busy carving out their Territory and in awe of their lofty new titles.

Lack of adherence to a Long Term Strategy.

Commitment to invest in operations instead of cutting resources and capabilities to bolster profits.

"Run Flat" doesn't cut it year upon year for 10+ years, simply to bolster Shareholder Value, which is a myth developed to rationalize any actions seen as ruthless and uncaring. If the business truly believes in Technology being a Differentiator, invest into this core discipline rather than cause it to cannibalize itself.

SELL HEWITT!!!! What a nightmare organization that has done nothing but secure an anchor around the collective throat of the enterprise. A bloated organization that is out of touch with Aon's overall delivery capabilities and commitments.

Claims attorney responsible for client advocacy in coverage disputes.

Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping clients/policyholders by advocating on their behalf in coverage disputes with their insurers and assisting with claims resolution without the need for coverage litigation is very rewarding. Compensation is fair and the environment in the office is usually very congenial.

Cons

Leadership is really hit or miss. In certain teams, there are great leaders who care about their employees and their workload, however, other managers are solely concerned about revenue and/or stock price and will cut corners and allow valuable talent to exit rather than rewarding them for their hard work.

More discretion is needed in selecting team leaders and promotions need to be done based on merit, rather than tenure. Recognizing that it isn't always possible to promote from within and luring talented leaders from other organizations, as opposed to filling positions with whoever might be left, is absolutely necessary, but seemingly lacking.

Aon isn't the HR company Hewitt was

Current Employee - Human Resources Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home

Cons

Everything else. Leadership doesn't listen to feedback in HR. Ironically HR implements for others well but doesn't do a good job of managing and leading their own team. Even when given very specific feedback such as: "overwhelmed", "I'm not happy" They do nothing. Engagement is very low but the company is working to improve it. Nothing is being done about HR leadership style. Benefit costs are outrageous and getting worse. HR structure of Legacy Aon is really bad. Hewitt HR Organization design is great but it hasn't been fully adopted yet.

HR needs to practice what it preaches

Awesome mediocrity

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent training and good place to get experience working in the sales and insurance inducstry. Flexible on the hours and ability to take when needed.

Cons

There is very little room for advancement. Despite success, no where to go up. Pay not measureable with amount of revenue you bring in.

Better career advancement.

Management lack of interest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, pretty nice people.

Cons

Poor pay scale, management does not look out of their employees. No real opportunities for advancement or training.

Do better at morale building for your staff. Give them a reason to want to do better for you.

Aon Photos