Aon

Updated January 29, 2015
3.3

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Pros
  • There is okay work life balance just depending on who you work under in the company (in 29 reviews)

• Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 8 reviews)

• There is very little room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Proud

I have been working at Aon

Pros

strong leadership team
    quick to execution, supports risk taking, changing for the better, supports workplace flexibility.

Cons

middle management needs to execute more effectively on leadership's priorities

50/50

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Aon

Pros

Moderate flexibility
    Numerous perks in client entertainment

Cons

Very political
    Certain times of the year create insane working hours
    Essentially "on call" 24/7

Transparency around compensation
    Work from home flexibility

Positive, supportive, encouraging and professional atmosphere

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Aon

Pros

consistent feedback and recognition for a job well done, consistent employee outreach, wanting employee feedback. They always are innovating the tools we need to easily access any information we need to better ourselves or be better acquainted with the company and it's values/mission

Cons

I cannot think of any cons at this point. Working virtually has it's pros and cons, but although we work virtually, we still remain extremely connected!

keep up the good work

Vice President/Director

I worked at Aon

Pros

Great Global Brokerage and top player in the insurance industry

Cons

Correct Alignment is critical- the company loses a lot of talent.

Promote from within- acknowledge talent and give pay raises!

Good benefits

I worked at Aon

Pros

Medical insurance and 401K is not bad.

Cons

stress level is somewhat high

Avoid micro-managing employees.

Poor leadership, great coworkers.

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Minetonka Mls, MN
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Minetonka Mls, MN

I have been working at Aon full-time

Pros

Decent pay, great group of people to work with. No weekend or overnight shifts. Clean work environment and great location.

Cons

Unless you are a supervisor or Case Manager, there is no such thing as work/life balance. If you need time off to see a doctor, or to take your kid to a doctor, you will be given a hard time and made to feel like you are not part of the team. But if you are a case manager or supervisor you can seemingly take as much time off as you need, or work from home.

Stop telling your inbound agents how important they are while refusing to accommodate any semblance of work/life balance.

An increasingly frustrating experience working for a Company where bureaucratic form has triumphed over function.

Former Employee - Senior Drafter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Drafter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people at Aon were alternately fantastic and horrible. Within your organization they would be great at pitching in and getting the job done. Unfortunately, people usually had to because of the lean (aka inadequate) staffing and resources allocated to get a job done. Consequently the best and brightest tend to come to Aon to learn the trade before leaving. It's the kind of Company where you come to learn before leaving to get rich elsewhere.

Cons

As a result of having too few hands and too few resources to get things done in a timely fashion the stress was, at times, incredibly high. In my eight years at Aon I had eight horrible Decembers which really puts a damper on the Christmas season. The other downside is Aon's refusal to invest in its people. Compensation increases are mediocre at best and are only made grudgingly. If you get one decent raise don't expect another for 4 to 6 years. Benefits are also surprisingly bad given the size of the organization and the resources it can leverage in risk management and human resources consulting. Health premiums for high deductible plans with HSA's are north of $100 per pay cycle with deductibles over $4000 and out of pockets over $7000. My current employer, which is a fraction of Aon's size, offers a plan in the same "metal tier" with lower deductible and out of pocket at a cost of just $5 per pay cycle. The dental plan is likewise ridiculously expensive for what you get. There's also the bureaucracy that you have to contend with. It's almost impossible to get basic hardware like monitors or cables. In one instance it took three months to get the necessary approvals from three layers of management above the department layer in order to get a cable that converted serial input to USB (retail value, $15). If you're looking at Aon for the special programs or benefits, and any one of those involves approvals involving HR or management above your department, just give up (for instance, forget about tuition assistance, which if by some miracle you get will result in a 7 to 10 year commitment to the Company).

Now that the share price has broken the $50 barrier put the whip away and stop treating employees like galley slaves whose only role is stroke at the beat of your drum.

Senior Advisor

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon

Pros

Salary was good to start

Cons

Disorganization in scheduling and processes

Consulting Experience within Aon Hewitt

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

strong brand, diversified operations, smart colleagues

Cons

limited mobility within teams, highly political culture

I've worked with Aon Benfield for almost 4 years now and can say I am pleased with my experience.

Current Employee - Contract Correspondent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Contract Correspondent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is good
    Benefits are good'

Cons

Not getting any raises.
    Not getting enough credit for what you do