Aon

Updated November 21, 2014
3.3

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Pros
  • There is okay work life balance just depending on who you work under in the company (in 29 reviews)

• Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 7 reviews)

• There is very little room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company I Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with smart, capable people who work hard for their clients; strong focus on developing talent; love the increased attention on engagement, and positive marketplace reputation.

Cons

Compensation is just OK, could be more progressive. Some complain of poor management, which I've experienced in the past, but I have a great manager now, and I see how Aon is trying to improve the consistency of performance management across the board. We could also do better in recognizing leaders, but I also see we are starting a new program for that as well!

Keep up the momentum on engagement, improve compensation and help make cross functional career mobility easier. That should help keep the competition from poaching our folks!

Good Company

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for just over 2 years. I love how the company provides good benefits and that we are a client first focused firm. I like how you are exposed to different career opportunities that will help you grow professionally and personally.

Cons

I do not have many cons about the company. The one con that I can think of is that it is a bit frustrating is to get things approved in order to move forward to get something done....in all fairness this is very common in very large global corporations.

I like it

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employer with strong brand, massive resources and global reach, all of which help employees delight the clients.

Cons

The company is so big, it is difficult to see a route through the forest for personal development and career growth.

Prospects for career growth underlie performance and sales targets.....if they don't know where they are going, how can you expect your team to follow you?

Good Experience, Good Benefits, Culture is Lacking

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits here were great. I really enjoyed my team and the people I worked directly with.

Cons

The office culture is very fragmented. There is no sense of community, people are there to do a job, and if that job is not going to interact with your job, you'll probably never really get to know that person.

The more you invest in your employees and demonstrate how valuable they are, the more invested they will feel in the business.

Worked for the company for 8 years.

Former Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is plenty of room for advancement if you work hard. They provide competitive salary and benefits packages with a matching 401K.

Cons

The management is somewhat out of touch with employees and don't really care about them - they're all just a number. No work/life balance and you are consistently expected to do more with less.

Focus more on your employees and a little less on the bottom line.

Strong Leadership and good work life balance

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work in a smaller office where management is very hands on and accessible. There are no boundaries to growth opportunities if you communicate and meet the standards set. Tools available to excel you your position are readily available.

Cons

Not many other than high standards set my local office.

Actuarial Intern

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Aon as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office Culture is great, there are continuously activities that gets everyone together.
    There was a great understaing with my manager.
    There are several opportunities to climb the ladder.

Cons

The number one challenge I had was commuting, the office is located in uptown.
    I tried the train for a few months but it was wearing me down. I ended up driving very early in the morning and leaving early to avoid traffic.

Overall positive experience, but it's a large company with typical large company issues.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to advance or move in other areas. Tons of resources to help you do a good job. Willing to pay good salaries for good employees. Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great.

Cons

Like all large companies, some teams have people very driven individually who don't think about the team as a whole. Advancement may require moving to another state if you outgrow your local office's opportunities. Very heavy workloads are expected and a 40 hour workweek doesn't exist.

Ensure that communication to the masses is a priority and don't rely on each individual office head.

Love it

Current Employee - Broker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Broker in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great management. Good team atmosphere. Good salary. Room to grow. Ethical company. I would recommend to college grads to start here and work your way up.

Cons

Stressful job t times. Company is public so corporate looks at margins all of the time. Easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Dismal work environment with the benefit of poor leadership

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn how to focus on shareholders and not customers.
    If you threaten to quit, they will bring the wheelbarrow of cash out but don't expect a raise unless you threaten to quit.

Cons

There is no leadership in this office. Good people are leaving and the morale is awful.
    Too many people crammed in too small of a space.
    No training.
    A designated "FUN" committee does not make things "fun".
    Fraternity atmosphere where kolache's have been hit with golf clubs down the hall by the ridiculous frat boys that think they are so suave and smart.

Reboot. Get proactive and not reactive.