Aon

Updated February 25, 2015
3.3

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Pros
  • There is okay work life balance just depending on who you work under in the company (in 29 reviews)

• Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 8 reviews)

• There is very little room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Seen significant change in management in recent years

I have been working at Aon

Pros

Flexible working hours, strong work/life balance, ability to work remotely, excellent people who are highly skilled

Cons

Little financial upside in recent years. Major management turnover, low moral mainly due to frozen salaries, smaller bonuses

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Vice President In IT in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President In IT in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people, collaborative, forward thinking

Cons

lots of remote workers, little personal interaction

Listen to staff and colleagues, resolve issues with Aon Hewitt purchase

A great internship experience - opportunity to learn a new world of insurance in a very short period of time.

I worked at Aon

Pros

personal growth, easy access to different departments, great assistance from everyone, management is super friendly, given the chance to make a large contribution at an entry-level/ intern position

Cons

time-off policies, opportunity for more leadership

Decent place

Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Work/life balance.

Cons

Some favoritism by managers. Busy cycles.

None

Decent place to work; needs improvement.

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with some really great people and really great clients. I derive a lot of job satisfaction doing everything I can for our best clients, some of whom are just a pleasure to work with. Aon has some seriously talented insurance specialists in their respective fields (environmental, management liabilities, claims, etc.) My work is also mostly challenging, varied, and interesting. Decent work life balance, too. Compensation is also decent and not terribly out of line with the other big brokers. My immediate boss is also outstanding and I've learned much from him over the years. I'm lucky in that I have a very short commute.

Cons

As one client said, "Aon can put together a $1 billion plus insurance program, but can't get an invoice out." Offshoring and outsourcing back office functions hurts the company in the long run.

Absolutely horrible bureaucracy, especially with respect to IT. For example, I needed to update Java to access a prospects data room. At home, the process took less than 2 minutes. At work, after six weeks of trying, multiple layers of approvals and calls to India, I gave up. Contrary to "Client Promise", Aon will also sometimes put its internal bureaucracy ahead of a client's reasonable wishes.

Too much "rah rah" buzzwords and silliness. No, your web survey isn't going to "revolutionize the insurance industry" no matter how many buzzwords you use to sugar coat things.

Hire more "line folks" to work in the trenches, talking to clients or talking to markets. Every time I turn around it's another mid-level manager being hired to massage the metrics or come up with the latest buzzword initiative as opposed to work on our core businesses.

Aon Intern

I worked at Aon

Pros

Solid pay and great work environment.

Cons

A lot of employee turnover in the first few years

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Access to bottomless benefits knowledge
    Great step up for beginning customer service representatives
    Decent benefits
    Pay range mediocre after first few raises

Cons

Environment changed significantly after AON purchase of Hewitt. Employees became more of a number and less of a person/investment. Was 'clique-ish' before purchase, became more so and very cut throat afterwards.
    After year 3 (Sr CSA) almost impossible to get even a 2 percent raise. Managers are taught there is ALWAYS room for improvement on anything, and this is used as a negative mark during annual review. As example, my last review was meets expectations instead of exceeds expectations due to the fact that I did not DAILY provide feedback to my teammates. Since raises were only given if you received an exceeds that year, I and most of my team received no raise even though we completed a very complicated implementation with no issues on our knowledge and process skills.

People are not numbers. While CSA's are considered bottom of the barrel, these are the people who counsel the client's employees, and the majority do a great job. These people are your first line of delivery and to most customers, the heart and soul of not only AON, but their own company.

Interesting/Challenging/Frustrating

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Aon

Pros

You learn a lot of new things and learn even more as you gain experience.There are some really great people there.

Cons

Lack of communication,poor training, sometimes very little support.One person says do it this way,another says no do it this way.It feels as if you have to prepare to be interrogated at any moment for anything even if a manager tells you to do something.Be prepared to endure disrespectful attitudes with people with inflated egos.Contractors are subhuman to some and there are a lot of people in competition to get hired on permanent so the environment can seem abrasive.

There is no communication.Training from some is haphazard and so brief on some topics.The culture is rich with disrepect and lack of communication.It is unorganized and unfortunate and ultimately effects the client companies served.

Lots of Work. Short on staff. To affect any changes can take epochs.

Former Contractor - Web Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of work. If you keep up, you will keep you job.

Cons

To make process of procedural changes take a long time. Management is so large that approval process is booged down or non-existant.

Trust your lower management on process improvements. Streamline processes.

An increasingly frustrating experience working for a Company where bureaucratic form has triumphed over function.

Former Employee - Senior Drafter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Drafter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people at Aon were alternately fantastic and horrible. Within your organization they would be great at pitching in and getting the job done. Unfortunately, people usually had to because of the lean (aka inadequate) staffing and resources allocated to get a job done. Consequently the best and brightest tend to come to Aon to learn the trade before leaving. It's the kind of Company where you come to learn before leaving to get rich elsewhere.

Cons

As a result of having too few hands and too few resources to get things done in a timely fashion the stress was, at times, incredibly high. In my eight years at Aon I had eight horrible Decembers which really puts a damper on the Christmas season. The other downside is Aon's refusal to invest in its people. Compensation increases are mediocre at best and are only made grudgingly. If you get one decent raise don't expect another for 4 to 6 years. Benefits are also surprisingly bad given the size of the organization and the resources it can leverage in risk management and human resources consulting. Health premiums for high deductible plans with HSA's are north of $100 per pay cycle with deductibles over $4000 and out of pockets over $7000. My current employer, which is a fraction of Aon's size, offers a plan in the same "metal tier" with lower deductible and out of pocket at a cost of just $5 per pay cycle. The dental plan is likewise ridiculously expensive for what you get. There's also the bureaucracy that you have to contend with. It's almost impossible to get basic hardware like monitors or cables. In one instance it took three months to get the necessary approvals from three layers of management above the department layer in order to get a cable that converted serial input to USB (retail value, $15). If you're looking at Aon for the special programs or benefits, and any one of those involves approvals involving HR or management above your department, just give up (for instance, forget about tuition assistance, which if by some miracle you get will result in a 7 to 10 year commitment to the Company).

Now that the share price has broken the $50 barrier put the whip away and stop treating employees like galley slaves whose only role is stroke at the beat of your drum.