Aon

Updated December 19, 2014
3.3

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Pros
  • There is okay work life balance just depending on who you work under in the company (in 29 reviews)

• Depending on position, flexible schedules or work from home opportunities are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 8 reviews)

• There is very little room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at Aon as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed interning with Aon. I was given comprehensive projects that enhanced my learning of the insurance business and what brokers and underwriters look at in a company when determining policies. There were also a lot of young people in the office, which made me feel more comfortable in the office.

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great company

I have been working at Aon

Pros

good salary, good worklife, good time off

Cons

personal growth might not be good,

Experiences depend on which department you work for

I worked at Aon

Pros

Generally nice friendly people, location is desirable as it is right in downtown and close to shops and restaurants, some management are smart however some middle management are not and it really suprise me how they get promoted. 401K matches 6% which is pretty good.

Cons

Some middle management get promoted based on relationship with their superior and not necessarily based on skill set. Pay is mediocre.

Should impose upward management feedback.

Started out fine, but realized soon after that Management needed to be trained on how to be Managers.

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Aon

Pros

The relationships that I had with the clients and underwriters

Cons

Overworked, understaffed, some colleagues received promotions yearly while others were overlooked, too many Teacher's Pets. Their agency management was developed by Aon and only functioned as read only, Acord applications had to be done manually which was very time consuming to prepare. Too much clerical work involved was involved for a position where moreport of the focus should have been on the client.

Give credit where credit is due and reduce the amount of favortism that is openly displayed. Get into the 21st century and toss that bootleg agency management system Bridge out the window. Agencies 90% smaller than Aon are using top of the line agency management systems that are functional, user friendly and saves valuable time

Finance Specialist

I worked at Aon

Pros

Flexible working hours, 401k benefits

Cons

Little to no room for moving up within the company

Good experience that provided opportunity of growth

Current Employee - Finance Director Accounting/Analysis in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance Director Accounting/Analysis in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong business leadership that doubled stock/worth of company in realtive short time.

Cons

Poor financial leadership. Compensation and rewards reserved for senior leadership. Cost of benefits increasing as a result of less company contribution. Moved corporate hq to London, along with US jobs. Lack of loyalty to dedicated employees. Does not regard employees as most valuable asset.

Reward employees for loyal service and reestablish time-off policy for holidays and vacation. Increase company contribution to benefits.

Good Company

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for just over 2 years. I love how the company provides good benefits and that we are a client first focused firm. I like how you are exposed to different career opportunities that will help you grow professionally and personally.

Cons

I do not have many cons about the company. The one con that I can think of is that it is a bit frustrating is to get things approved in order to move forward to get something done....in all fairness this is very common in very large global corporations.

Best Company I Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with smart, capable people who work hard for their clients; strong focus on developing talent; love the increased attention on engagement, and positive marketplace reputation.

Cons

Compensation is just OK, could be more progressive. Some complain of poor management, which I've experienced in the past, but I have a great manager now, and I see how Aon is trying to improve the consistency of performance management across the board. We could also do better in recognizing leaders, but I also see we are starting a new program for that as well!

Keep up the momentum on engagement, improve compensation and help make cross functional career mobility easier. That should help keep the competition from poaching our folks!

Aon - Avoid like the PLAGUE

I have been working at Aon

Pros

None at all that come to mind.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement if you are a minority.

I like it

I have been working at Aon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employer with strong brand, massive resources and global reach, all of which help employees delight the clients.

Cons

The company is so big, it is difficult to see a route through the forest for personal development and career growth.

Prospects for career growth underlie performance and sales targets.....if they don't know where they are going, how can you expect your team to follow you?