Aon Reviews

Reset
3.4
Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Pros
  • great work life balance involved (in 29 reviews)

• Opportunities to work from home (depending on your team) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 8 reviews)

• salary well below industry standards, no room for advancement, does not promote from within (in 5 reviews)

Don't work at Aon

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Aon

Pros

They have a good company name - it is well respected in the industry. The stock performance has been strong and you do receive options after a couple of years . They also have good benefits. Continuing education opportunites are pretty good within the company intranet.

Cons

Management doesn't respect college recruits. The salary sucks in comparison to other firms in the industry.

Advice to Management

Treat new hires and college recruits with respect. We may not have experience but we do have brain power that you can mold and we're cheaper than people with experience. If you take the time to keep up happy, we will grow in to valuable employees.

Stock price is more important than the "unmatched talent" they profess to employ.

Former Employee - Managing Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Aon

Pros

Big company with many divisions

Cons

As an employee, you are just a commodity in the eyes of management - although they constantly repeat their montra that they employ unmatched talent. They are so full of themselves. The best view of Aon is out of the rear view mirror driving away from them.

Advice to Management

Care about the employees and they will make your company great. But you must REALLY care - don't' just say it like you just say so much other stuff because it is he right thing to say.

Poor experience - minimal growth prospects

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon

Pros

Unlike previous places I had worked, people did walk out the door at 5 o'clock and there was not a lot of pressure to work weekends.

Cons

I had a very poor experience at this company. I was promised a standard bonus, which I never received. I did not receive any salary increases over several years. I felt that management did not respect my expertise in my field, which was a pity, because this caused me some dissatisfaction in my job. I felt that my supervisor, who was generally out of the office and hard to reach, had no interest in seeing my career advance and so gave me high marks on my annual evaluations but then failed to give me any suggestion that there would be a future title promotion or salary adjustment.

Advice to Management

I blame my personal experience on my poor relationship with my own immediate management, but I really saw a lot of employees who worked at Aon just because it was a job. Dissatisfaction was the norm, and while older people were more likely to stay, I saw many younger and more ambitious people depart for more challenging grounds. This is not the way to run a successful company with long-term growth prospects.

5. Local office management is metric driven, as a result, the culture drives a sweat shop work experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Aon

Pros

The company's global presence and market share are excellent and the depth of resources exist across the company. The recent change in brand architecture and the partnership between Aon and Manchester United is a progressive marketing strategy that has elevated the company's visability.

Cons

To be honest, locally, almost everything within the Southfiled office is a downside. Sr. management is arogant and self-centered (i.e. corporate tickets for local professional sports would rather be thrown out than offered to the general employee base) and the hierarchy between MD's and the remainder of the workforce is massive. Forget about a work life balance, this office operates on a "be glad you have a job" mentality at it's extreme (intimidation and fear).

Advice to Management

It's not 1970...the "good 'ol boys" and "producer model" leave this office as a complete underperformer with organic "young" talent looking at better opportunities elsewhere (forget bringing in new talent, the office street reputation is well known).

Bottomless pit of sharp sticks

Former Employee - CRM App Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CRM App Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon

Pros

Get your career started, meet other people and make connections, and get out as fast as you can without getting hit with the door!

Cons

The hours, the incredible workload, the utter lack of support, the thankless accomplishments, the sneaky HR policies, the moral-crushing white boys' club.

Advice to Management

Your people are worth more than your money, because you'll eventually lose all the good people, and the money will follow them.

7. Tough Environment to work and improve

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid well. Good overall benefits.

Cons

Poor management. Does not create team cohesion. Too much bureaucracy. Very little innovation as a result of outsourcing everything including most IT functions, difficult governance model. Too many companies within the Aon umbrella which creates a difficult political environment.

Advice to Management

Review managers by collecting honest feedback from subordinates. Your outsourced model is out-dated.

In one sentence? How about one word.........No.

Current Employee - Trainer in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Trainer in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sacrificing personal liberties and a small amount of your humanity in order to be successful at this organization.

Cons

No work life balance, unless your life is about work. And poor management in general. The performance management calibration process isn't based on results, but rather popularity. The execs protect themselves to the detriment of their employees.

Advice to Management

Grow up, and stop throwing all of your employees under the bus. You know, if you'd actually create an enjoyable place to work, you could promote from within and save on payroll since the job wouldn't be all about the money. You might actually because to balance the books by saving on turnover expenses.

9. Extremely unprofessional work environment where cultures are not respected.

Former Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

International company in over 100 countries. Insight into insurance brokerage market.

Cons

An extremely negative work environment. Lack of mobility upward and out of department. Tedious manual processes that does not have a proper digital audit work paper database. Lack of professionalism from the tone at the top. Jealously rampant throughout department. Constant backstabbing and covering your own end. Lack of teamwork.

Advice to Management

Listen your Seniors who have left and said the environment is extremely uncomfortable and do not cover up for the real reason why they left.

Cutthroat at the top, bureaucratic in the middle, drone-like at the front line.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a living. The company is making money.

Cons

Morale is poor. Profts not shared across workplace. Internal technology is out of date. Org chart is spaghetti. Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. Process improvement needs are critical. Firmwide communication doesn't like to actual work leaving colleagues going "huh?" Integration of various acquisitions stalled. No consistent culture. Loyalty not rewarded. Old processes. Ego driven leadership. HQ bailed on Chicago to more 'laissez faire' environment in UK. Cheap. Lots of inexperienced contractors and inexpensive offshores. No clear lines of accoutability. Constant rework of talent management processes. Accounting is confusing. Disengaged VPs. Blame game. Almost governmental approach to tasks. Units can refuse work. Surprise layoffs. Huge disparity in comp across organization. Biggest claim to fame is sponsoring Manchester United, really? Important deals ironed out on golf course. Overselling and under delivering. Lack of respect. Bad coffee.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start.

11. Poor leadership, poor compensation, poor culture.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Specialist in Hatboro, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Specialist in Hatboro, PA

I have been working at Aon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex time options are available. Company offers a stable paycheck with little fear of outsourcing or downsizing.

Cons

Marketing leadership is poor. Overall company leadership is all talk. Compensation is below market value. Culture is toxic. Company always focuses on cheapest option available. Systems are inflexible. Processes are cumbersome and ineffective. Communication is poor in marketing department and between other functional groups.

RSS Feed </> Embed