Aon

Aon Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case

Greg Case

Pros
  • Work life balance is unheard of unless you are a Senior Broker or in the Energy Group (in 23 reviews)

• Good work environment and good growing opportunities (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not all they make it out to be

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefit Package (401k, medical and vacation)
    Office Location is very convenient to a large percentage of clients in Atlanta
    Opportunities to work from home (depending on your team)

ConsIt is a HUGE good old boys club culture. You have to play a ridiculous political game to survive. The current management team over the Southeast is not keen on having women in leadership positions so promotions for women are few and far between. I actually saw several women demoted in my time there who were quite good at their jobs. There are several sexual harassment issues that tend to get swept under the rug (even by HR).

There are a lot of long hours and there isn't really a sense of camaraderie in the office which makes the days seem that much longer. No one really goes to happy hours or lunches. It is very much an "Every Man for Himself" culture. The sense of team is really non-existent with very few exceptions. To give an idea of how far that goes, the company Christmas party is a lunch where only about half of the people show up, eat and then leave. It is an absolute joke and is poorly coordinated. That is only one example, but I think it shows 1. How little the company cares for and respects its employees and 2. How little concern the employees have for the company or their peers.

The company offers NO TRAINING. They will tell you you will get training until you show up on your first day and realize your training is figuring it out for yourself. Which in turn results in high turnover and unsatisfied customers.

The office, while in a great location, hasn't been updated since the 80s. The walls have a smoke stained appearance. And the meeting rooms... Can you please get some chairs that aren't broken. It is an embarrassment and a place that clients should not be introduced to.

The Atlanta office in particular has taken a major downturn. Leadership is terrible and employee moral is directly reflecting it.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation for your team. Get a new office and update the equipment/furniture while you are at it. Aon is a multi-billion dollar organization so please represent yourselves as so.

Great Firm - "best of both worlds" toolbox for clients and prospects with Aon's purchase of Hewitt in 2010.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)

Prosamazing depth and breadth of international, national toolbox delivered in client-centric, local level.

Conslack of accountability of local management to upper management; lack of managerial and leadership skills on local office level.

Advice to Senior Managementconduct exit interviews; ours is a people business. Good employees don't leave an organization; they leave managers. Personally i was SOLD on the AH value proposition but unable to continue in a chronically toxic work environment due to lack of leadership.

Great place to work at

Case Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsDiverse colleagues and friendly work environment.

Consreactive rather than proactive at times

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive, anticipate needs, plan ahead. Understand impacts of decisions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place. Too many changes and management is inconsistant

Account Specialist I (Current Employee) Lincolnshire, IL

ProsThe ability to obtain continuing education classes to maintain license

ConsNo collective employee appreciattion activities. Do not make sure that opportunities are available for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the employees feel more appreciated and respected. Understand that you will receive more motivated, productive actvity when the employees are less stressed and enjoy the environment.

Great company

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsLots of growth opportunities. Fair salary. Comfortable work environment.

ConsSave on thing that shouldn't be saving on, but waste money on crazy things...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet coworkers more involved with each other.

Aon is a good company to work for

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsA lot of flexibility at Aon to move around and seek new opportunities. Relatively flat structure, friendly people

ConsSenior management not always communicating clearly the plans

Flexible, but sometimes company doesn`t maintain integrity approach

Deputy Director (Current Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsSalary, flexibility, independence, good office location in Moscow

ConsSometimes lack of proactiveness, sometimes brute relationships

Club Membership Required

Account Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou will learn alot. 1) How to cover for the Senior Brokers while they play golf; 2) How to check their policies even if you didn't place the coverage or understand it. 3) How to get a raise by threatening to quit

ConsThere is no leadership in this office. There is no respect for the people who are in charge. It is hard to respect people who think acting like 12 year old boys is the way to manage. There is too much finger pointing and blame game. The paperwork/bureacracy is overwhelming. There is no focus on clients only how to squeeze more revenue out of each account. "What can we sell them?" AKA "Client Promise" and "Strategic Account Review". The office is full of good ole boys who go fishing and hunting together. If you aren't in that club, you won't get anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the basics. Treat your employees fairly. Quit being reactionary. Provide real client focus.
    Break up the club.

Long term dead end job

ProsManagement is flexible in some departments. They sometimes have gain share. They do a company holiday party and picnic

ConsThere is no room for advancement. Raises are extremely small. They do not value their internal talent. It is not a place to build a career

Decent starting point - but no career path

ProsFlexible schedule and work from home

Conssalary well below industry standards, no room for advancement, does not promote from within

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is so much talent already here but it is constantly overlooked. Managers are brought in from outside the company while the best talent is left unnoticed. Employees leave here and are immediately recognized as top performers by their new employers. You guys are really losing out.

Worked for Aon? Contribute to the Community!