Aon

Aon Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case

Greg Case

Pros
  • Work life balance is unheard of unless you are a Senior Broker or in the Energy Group (in 23 reviews)

• Good work environment and good growing opportunities (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Do the right thing always but sometimes work life balance can be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Paralegal (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbility to develop leadership skills through mentoring programs. Office location near millennium park was nice.Great benefits.

ConsBig corporate structures with lots of layers of personnel. Sometimes it felt like being a cog in a very big wheel. But that comes with the size of the company.

Business Technical Analyst 1

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYour working experience varies by department or team. The culture and attitude is definitely "can do," "get it done," which is great! Aon has great career/employee resources in place, you just have to look for them. It's easy to find mentors and interesting projects in which to participate. Promotions don't come easy. Having great working relationships with management and demonstrating the ability to lead and getting things done will go a long way. Overall, Aon is relatively stable, very structured and global. You will work with very smart people. Aon is definitely a resume builder if you're fresh out of undergrad.

ConsAs with most companies, office politics can play a huge role in the day-to-day work. Depending on your department/team, it can be difficult to make an impact because 1) someone already tried/has done it 2) understanding the global implications, while critical, is time consuming/expensive 3) it takes just one of the many CEOs/COOs/CIOs etc. to derail your project 4) the existing processes/controls can hinder getting anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand why people leave and do something about it. Accelerate the consolidation/simplification of the global organization. Cut out the fat in senior management.

Lots of flexibility. Offices nationwide so you can move and stay with the company.

Underwriter (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMany locations and positions so you can move around a lot. Coworkers have been kind and driven. Work for home and flex time growing. Company matches 6% of 401k.

ConsSalary is not always tied to results. Being part of a massive corp means your departement can be overlooked by those at the top. Poor communication between businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure business unit performance is tied to bonus/salary. Bad years result in a smaller bonus, so a great year should mean a great bonus. If its a good year, pay like it!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not a great place to work

Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood benefits. lack of structure

Consleadership team (top down) is completely disconnected from reality

Advice to Senior Managementtake initiative in increasing the low engagement

Great coworkers, good job, underpaid

Analyst (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosgood coworkers, good working hours, good time-off policies-5 sick days 5 personal days and 10 vacation days, decent 401k matching and is a fortunue 500 company

Consunder paid compared to industry average, not much company growth compared to other companies, raises were not offered due to economic conditions, computers were outdated, not enough office space

I understood my clients' organizations way more than I was ever allowed to know my own!

Assistant Vice President, Sr Account Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsBrilliant people
    Opportunity to Work Directly with Fortune 500 Senior Management

ConsNo idea what their talent strategy was - you definitely get put into a "Job Level" you can never leave. Insane internal battling over money - particularly over revenue credit at every level - between producers, practices, business units. Profitability is analyzed to the nth degree - ultimately ended up spending more time having to put together profitability plans for my clients than I actually got to spend with or on the clients. Management had absolutely lost sight of the importance of technical training or expertise - lots of young insurance brokers/account teams who actually don't know anything about insurance.....?

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement makes great decisions for the shareholders, but it would probably make some sense to add some executives who have a lot more experience in operations. Put some specificity into your principals - the "Aon Client Promise" is vague and fluffy - you could apply it to any industry; articulating why we're the best in our industry specifically would win more often - we heard a lot of feedback from prospects that they weren't able to differentiate Aon from competitors at all.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Cost reduction is more important than retaining good employees

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCo workers are great, work/life balance

ConsCompensation increases, technology, office space, politics

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have been told over the past few years that improvements are being made regarding employee engagement and development, but there have been minimal changes. It is very hard to retain my employees and a lot of time is rehiring and training new employees.

Short term gain over long term strategy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFor entry level workers I think it is still a great place to get some training and then plot your next move.

ConsSince Aon took over Benfield the emphasis seems to be on cost savings rather than designing and executing a long term strategy.

Account Executive and Broker

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBroker intellectual capital and depth of knowledge

ConsCulture does not reflect diversity

Overall

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExcellent work/life balance - great people work at Aon

ConsCompensation - Career Advancement - Lacks Consistency

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on re-zoning the entire firm - You need a strong OD person on board

Worked for Aon? Contribute to the Community!