Apache

Add Photos

Apache President, CEO, COO, and Director Steve Farris

Steve Farris

Stable company, great benefits

Internal Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at Apache full-time

ProsGreat medical and retirement benefits. Stock incentive plans are enticing. Competitive pay for industry & job market. Seasoned industry employees; great opportunities to learn E&P industry. Stable company; executive management has a history of making smart investment decisions. SAP shop. Audit dept is ACL friendly.

ConsCompany culture is who you know not what you know. In reference to Internal Audit Dept, training opportunities are limited; certifications are not encouraged/supported (i.e. CPA, CIA, CFE); dept. loosely follows IIA stds; closed door culture, lacks open communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job on where you have taken company. If you would like to make the company "a great place to work" consider addressing issues with low level management (i.e., managers, directors). Allow employees to feel empowered. Consider changing your annual merit review structure.

Good place to work. Great people.

Administrative (Current Employee)
South Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule. Great holiday party!

ConsOnboarding new employees / training

Been good to me so far

Senior Staff Geologist (Current Employee)
Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Apache full-time for more than a year

ProsMid sized independent with caring work environment. Empowers employees to follow their heart with great "go get it", no blame culture. Efficient systems processes that let you get on with your job and not do business with yourself (for now).

ConsHighly competitive peer group makes it harder and harder to increase shareholder value - law of diminishing returns kicking in as company grows. CEO close to retirement and in danger of losing direction. Procurement chain on brink of being hijacked by lawyers, middle management layer and SAP on pretext of "value add".

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it simple, restrict application of SAP to what it was designed for, do not under any circumstances allow delegation of roles through SAP as has happened at other companies. That's a fast track to doing business with yourself. Review LTI structure - may not provide as much of an incentive as in previous years due to recent rapid growth of company and difficulty in maintaining steady share price increase.

Good place to work

I have been working at Apache

ProsFast paced, active, aggressive, action oriented

ConsLack of appreciation for a job well done - just get on with the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the staff and praise at every opportunity

Overall great place to work.

I have been working at Apache

ProsHard working employees, opportunities to excel

Conscompensation relative to other O&G firms

Advice to Senior Managementstricter requirements for employee reviews and feedback

Apache is on the right track.

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apache

ProsIt offers a great work and life balance. It is fairly easy to move to positions in other departments. Bureacracy is kept in minimum. Apache is growing fast and creating great opportunities for all of us. At the same time, management is very conservative and keeps the leverage at the managable level.
Senior management is doing a fairly good job communicating with lower ranks of the company.

ConsAlso, Apache needs to make a change in their stationary supplies. I need to contact my supervisor every time I need supplies. We need better interaction between different accounting groups. Also, almost no training is offered at the headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize team work events to bring people from different departments together and increase communication between groups.

Apache: Demanding and Rewarding.

Geologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apache

ProsApache is a company that will allow you to develop a wide range of skills in a fast paced environment, and will allow you to make game changing decisions immediately. In the oil and gas industry, Apache is known as a company that expects a lot of its employees, but rewards them for it. The bonus structure is phenomenal compared to other companies in this industry.
Perhaps the best part of working for Apache is that it is big enough to participate in large, technologically advanced projects that are cutting edge, but also small enough to be incredibly agile when it comes to moving forward on projects and navigating the often complicated world of oil and gas. At Apache you will see projects moving from start to finish under your watch - that is something my peers at other companies do not often get to experience.

ConsThe main downside at working for Apache is that it demands far more from its employees than other companies. At Apache you are expected to do more as an individual - although team concepts are evolving there are still many times when you will have to work in many diverse fields on one project. At other companies you might have 5-6 people working a project, whereas at Apache you would only have 2-3 for a project of similar scope.
This leads to what I see as being the biggest downside of working at Apache as a technical expert. You are often expected to be married to your job. It's not uncommon to have the feeling that you can't take your vacations because of assignments and deadlines, especially if you are determined to be upwardly mobile. The work-life balance can be truly dismal.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that we continue to aggressively pursue growth in new geographic regions - A company trying to grow as fast as Apache really needs to try and re-establish a foothold in Asia and expand operations in existing regions (i.e., expand North Sea region into Scandinavia and Egypt into other Middle Eastern Countries, like what was done with Argentina-Chile).
I would also suggest reigning in some operations to the corporate structure, and consider having more centralized accounting, IT, and legal departments.
Finally, I would suggest that we better optimize our use of human capital. We have experts in various regions that could make huge impacts in other regions. However, due to how personnel decision are made on a regional level and not a corporate level, people's talents often go to waste

Great people

Staff Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Apache full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits, half day Fridays, great vacation length

Consmuch of your annual compensation is stock performance based and it is cyclical with oil and gas prices.

Advice to Senior Managementtry and retain employees more

Production Analyst Review

Production Analyst (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I worked at Apache full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge public company with good benefits

ConsSometimes a difficult workplace environment.

Some great people and a good share of crazy people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Apache full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOil and Gas Experience
Gain Exposure
Challenging
A lot of hardworking people

ConsNo formal structured career paths. There is an endless amount of work.

Worked for Apache? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apache reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apache CEO Steve Farris. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Apache employees.