Apache

Add Photos

Apache President, CEO, COO, and Director Steve Farris

Steve Farris

Drilling Consultant

DRILLING CONSULTANT (Former Employee)
    Midland, TX

Prosgood people to work with and for

ConsI don't have any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up all the good work going

Wild but short ride!

Senior Staff Geologist (Former Employee)
    Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsMinimal red tape in performing duties (unlike many peers, APA has yet to be paralysed by overblown HR and IT policies); employees afforded a high degree of empowerment for the job level, excellent team rapport, potential for rapid promotion. Proportion of benefit package tied to bonus is much larger than majority of peers - potential for 100% payout in a really good year.

ConsAPA has seen tremendous share growth in recent years, but has been relatively flat for the last few, and potentially attractive bonus features (TSR, RSU's) are likely to generate little value in the short to medium term. Length of service and nationality count more than experience. Non-US staff treated as second class citizens with different opportunity set, salary scales and benefit packages. HR staff poorly trained and lack maturity and experience to appropriately manage people moves. Steve Farris coming to end of career and a radical change in management style will liekly occur when he goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementAPA has recently grown into a very big fish in a fairly small pond. Gut feel probably no longer sufficient to generate the shareholder value needed to distinguish from crowd.

Apache

ProsThere is a good work life balance

ConsNo formal structured career paths

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Apache is a great company to work for.

Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe benefits and work ethnics are great.

ConsFavoritism shown towards certain employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRules should apply to all not some

Fast paced, challenging, keeps you on your toes!

ProsDecisions made quickly, always striving for improvement, great team.

ConsCorporate policy feels like it is starting to interfere at Region level. Market forces are pulling staff away, if you want to be the best you need to pay to keep the best. Watch out!

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the bureaucratic empire building, get back to basics and get lean and mean again.

Fast paced and a great learning experience

Summer Student (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros-Fast paced
    -Nice people
    -Good training
    -Provides good instruction

Cons-None that I know of so far

I'll be here at least four more years...

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThere is plenty of work to do. Very laid back office environment; private offices are even given to those in positions that wouldn't normally have one. If your like me and enjoy learning different aspects of the business, your encouraged to learn and many are willing to teach. Benefits are some of the best in the industry. Most managers are competent and approachable. My manager in particular is great, this person encourages us to have a proper work-life balance, doesn't micro manage (as long as we get our work done), will fight for us, and etc.

I like Apache, I feel the direction they are headed in is the right way to go even though the environment isn't in their favor right now. I have a personal goal of being in a certain position within four years, but they haven't won me over enough to stay if I haven't reached it by that time.

ConsSimilar to what another review pointed out, in some areas a few people do all the work while others share the rewards, I would say 50/50 split. I can easily get a higher salary and bonus elsewhere, but the benefits balance this to some degree... Each region/area and tenured employee has their own way of doing things-because some managers don't have a backbone- which makes having a structured work environment difficult.

I know employees that have should be promoted only to be overlooked by people brought in because they look better on paper and in person. Some managers are blinded by favoritism: college, interests and etc. One was such a staunch supporter of their Alma Mater that they would only interview and hire individuals from that university...

My initial training was pretty bad... I don't understand why people are coupled with those that are poor teachers and/or obviously don't care to train.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the "old heads" need to go or be set straight, they do nothing for this company except push away talented employees as they wait for retirement; they aren't willing to learn proper procedures and etc, some managers need to build the courage to address this...

Compensation needs to be raised to retain and compete with other firms. Managers need to do a better job in vetting employees, often at times people are onboarded because they look good on paper and in person, but their work says otherwise.

To touch on the 50/50 again... I had applied to positions at APA for quite some time before I was was brought on, which is understandable because I had an average resume. But fast forward to now, even with my limited experience with the company, I know more and perform better than most employees at the same level and higher... If you want to keep people like myself around, don't overlook your current employee pool for promotions...

Again, I like APA, but you haven't shown me enough to stay if another opportunity comes by. I've seen people overlooked for promotions, the only loyalty I've seen is to those that have been with the company for quite some time, even the poor performers, which is the issue.

Marketing Analyst

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsLong term incentive not very good

Needs improvement

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsBenefits are decent if you stay long enough for them to vest. Not hesitant to give you work responsibility. You have to put in a lot of hours, but its pretty laid back. Nice offices. I had a very nice boss.

Cons10% of people do 90% of the work. Some people do absolutely nothing and still receive the same bonus as everyone else. Little opportunity for advancement. Hard work not rewarded. You will work extra hours. You will not get the yearly bonus that they tell you to expect in your offer sheet. Small raises (2 or 3%). Very little work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your top performers or they will leave! Get rid of the people who do nothing. Promote the people who deserve it. Its 2013, time to give out corporate credit cards and not make people fill out expense reports every time they need to be reimbursed. At the very least automate the process.

Positive Summer Internship Experience

Summer Field Intern (Former Employee)

ProsI was a field intern for Apache, helping with well recompletions, mechanical work, and maintaining production. The internship was very well managed, with an emphasis on training. I learned a lot and was well compensated. Also, a successful internship gives a you a good chance of being hired by Apache in the future.

ConsThe hours were outside the typical 9-5 job, starting as early as 6 and days occasionally lasting 12, without overtime.

Worked for Apache? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apache reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apache CEO Steve Farris. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Apache employees.