Apache Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
John J. Christmann, IV

Pros
  • Work life balance isn't great, but its not bad either (in 3 reviews)

• Good people that are hard to keep (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Heavy workload, constant pressure, no work-life balance, company should hire more people (in 5 reviews)

• much of your annual compensation is stock performance based and it is cyclical with oil and gas prices (in 4 reviews)

1. Production Engineer

I worked at Apache full-time

Pros

Great benefits and working conditions.

Cons

The office in Tulsa was closed.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and be honest with them.

It was wonderful until the sudden closing announcement.

Former Employee - Production Services Tech II in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Production Services Tech II in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the most amazing boss I have ever had. An amazing work family.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. The only stress I've had is the misfortune of being forced to find another job because of Apache closing the Tulsa office.

Advice to Management

You are losing some fantastic talent in Tulsa.

3. Accountant

Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache

Pros

Great stock program for all employees. Very helpful for retirement planning. Cost of living raises are also good, along with merit raises.

Cons

Terrible management. promotion of less-qualified employees, topped with CEO taking company down a terrible path since 2008, then retiring after making sure he got his...there's no more consideration of employees.

5. Very Hard Manual Labor...Low Pay

Former Employee - Flocker in Calhoun, GA
    Former Employee - Flocker in Calhoun, GA

I worked at Apache part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Everyone was super friendly

Cons

VERY HOT. I was told this was an easy job, it's NOT. Very hard manual labor. No air conditioning. VERY LOW PAY $8.00 HR FOR THE WORK INVOLVED. Not enough training. Expect you to do job by yourself within a couple of hours. Long hours little breaks.

Advice to Management

get air conditioner I literally thought I would pass out.

6. Nice Company, Dead Dept.

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Easy work and nice office

Cons

No one cares and does the least amount possible

7. Apache gives employees a lot responsibility.

Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced Ability to make a difference Good place to gain experience

Cons

Have been selling their international assets Alot of experienced people have left the last few years

8. Oh, Apache.

Current Employee - Geologist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Geologist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will get lots of good experience in many aspects of the industry. Seemed like Apache at least attempted to be ethical in their business relationships, for part of the time I worked there.

Cons

The reason you get so much great experience is that you will do the work of 3 people. The San Antonio office is the Golden Child of the company, they can do no wrong. Work in some other office and you will find out San Antonio speaks poorly about the other offices when they are about average themselves. I routinely worked during vacation, not just phone calls to ask a quick question but I was expected to take my work on vacation with me. Zero training. None. Zero functional mentoring. They kind of have a lukewarm mentoring program, but every time I found someone and started establishing a mentoring relationship they would leave and I would be back to square one. Apache doesn't attempt to retain good employees, and they pay fairly low. My manager was put into his management position when he apparently didn't want to do it and had no relevant experience. I can't fault him personally, he tried to make the best of it, but why he was ever asked to be a manager is beyond me. Despite that he hammered us into a good team, and the second he had a well-oiled and knowledgeable machine they closed the office and let most of us go.

Advice to Management

Don't make people managers who don't want the job. Try actually training your employees. Make an actual mentoring program. Something happened when I worked at Apache. At first it was a good place to work. We did things the right way, we didn't push stuff under the rug, we treated people fairly. Sometime in the last year and a half the ethics started to slip. It became all about the stock price and nothing more. People quit caring about their jobs as a result. The G&A budget became such a priority that corners were cut ethically, we stopped worrying about making sure we were reporting things to regulatory agencies properly, and it cost more in the long run because that meant people who did still care had to go back and correct it. Morale went downhill. Get your ethics back in order.

9. Apache Corporation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've learned a lot and grown with the company. They've been good to me.......

Cons

Like all companies the culture is changing....

10. Happy to be somewhere new

Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you know the right people, you're golden. You do get good experience. You will have a lot more work and a lot more responsibility than they will give you at most companies when you start out.

Cons

The list is just too long. In short, you're going to work your butt off here, get paid significantly less than other oil companies, and do this knowing there's no way to get ahead no matter how hard you work or how much value you bring to the organization.

Advice to Management

Data should drive decisions, not feelings. You need to clean shop in Finance and HR. You need to reward your best people. They keep leaving. You have a lot of dead weight. Lots of people do next to nothing. The rest work way too hard. Make an effort to be fair with your employees. Reduce nepotism. You need to plan for good times and bad times. You are in a cyclical industry after all. Betting the farm on shale? Not a good idea, but time will tell.

11. Sr. Unix system administrator

Former Employee - Senior UNIX Administrator in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Senior UNIX Administrator in Katy, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All employee has own office, good training policy for working IT department and paid good with good benefit with vacation, 401K, medical insurance.

Cons

Worked over night and manager or team lead only care you done the job or not. Manager treat employee not equally.

Advice to Management

Leadership need to treat all the same and equally. Encurage and positive attitude.

RSS Feed </> Embed