Apache

Updated October 22, 2014
3.5

Apache President, CEO, COO, and Director Steve Farris
Steve Farris

Pros
  • Work life balance isn't great, but its not bad either (in 3 reviews)

• Good projects and some good people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Heavy workload, constant pressure, no work-life balance, company should hire more people (in 5 reviews)

• much of your annual compensation is stock performance based and it is cyclical with oil and gas prices (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Apache: Demanding and Rewarding.

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Apache is a company that will allow you to develop a wide range of skills in a fast paced environment, and will allow you to make game changing decisions immediately. In the oil and gas industry, Apache is known as a company that expects a lot of its employees, but rewards them for it. The bonus structure is phenomenal compared to other companies in this industry.
    Perhaps the best part of working for Apache is that it is big enough to participate in large, technologically advanced projects that are cutting edge, but also small enough to be incredibly agile when it comes to moving forward on projects and navigating the often complicated world of oil and gas. At Apache you will see projects moving from start to finish under your watch - that is something my peers at other companies do not often get to experience.

Cons

The main downside at working for Apache is that it demands far more from its employees than other companies. At Apache you are expected to do more as an individual - although team concepts are evolving there are still many times when you will have to work in many diverse fields on one project. At other companies you might have 5-6 people working a project, whereas at Apache you would only have 2-3 for a project of similar scope.
    This leads to what I see as being the biggest downside of working at Apache as a technical expert. You are often expected to be married to your job. It's not uncommon to have the feeling that you can't take your vacations because of assignments and deadlines, especially if you are determined to be upwardly mobile. The work-life balance can be truly dismal.

I would suggest that we continue to aggressively pursue growth in new geographic regions - A company trying to grow as fast as Apache really needs to try and re-establish a foothold in Asia and expand operations in existing regions (i.e., expand North Sea region into Scandinavia and Egypt into other Middle Eastern Countries, like what was done with Argentina-Chile).
    I would also suggest reigning in some operations to the corporate structure, and consider having more centralized accounting, IT, and legal departments.
    Finally, I would suggest that we better optimize our use of human capital. We have experts in various regions that could make huge impacts in other regions. However, due to how personnel decision are made on a regional level and not a corporate level, people's talents often go to waste

Apache is on the right track.

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache

Pros

It offers a great work and life balance. It is fairly easy to move to positions in other departments. Bureacracy is kept in minimum. Apache is growing fast and creating great opportunities for all of us. At the same time, management is very conservative and keeps the leverage at the managable level.
    Senior management is doing a fairly good job communicating with lower ranks of the company.

Cons

Also, Apache needs to make a change in their stationary supplies. I need to contact my supervisor every time I need supplies. We need better interaction between different accounting groups. Also, almost no training is offered at the headquarters.

Organize team work events to bring people from different departments together and increase communication between groups.

The Best Career Experience Ever!!!!

Former Employee - Senior Department Clerk & Land Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Department Clerk & Land Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Apache

Pros

After working in more than one department I know advancement is encouraged as well as education. They like to promote within. Hardwork is rewarded generously, monetary AND non monetary benefits are like no other. And the employees, not just management are fantastic. It is truly an environment that fosters growth both personal and professional. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Cons

I experienced no downsides while working for Apache, had I not relocated with my spouse I'd still be working for them.

No, advice for Senior Management.

I'm a believer

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Great training and lots of opportunites for growth

Cons

So far I have no issues with Apache

There could be more events such as baseball games or happy hours within regions in order to interact with employees beyond the office in order to boost work morale.

Overall great place to work.

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Hard working employees, opportunities to excel

Cons

compensation relative to other O&G firms

stricter requirements for employee reviews and feedback

Nice People, but Management is Terrible

I worked at Apache

Pros

The people are very nice and the work is challenging and satisfying.
    The compensation is competitive compared to other companies when first hired

Cons

There is no work life balance, and management makes you feel guilty when you take your vacation time or have a doctor's appt.
    Most everyone is expected to work 50+ hours per week, including nights and weekends.
    People are required to do 2 or more jobs without promotion or compensation

There needs to be recognition for a good job, and work/life balance. If someone works 50+ hours per week, they shouldn't feel guilty about taking their vacation or going to a doctor's appt.

that floor was nuts!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache

Pros

-Very smart, talented people.
    -private offices for most IT staff
    -good UNIX and Windows IT, very knowledgeable
    -Steve Ferris is great
    -stock plans are hugely amazing great if they ever meet the targets

Cons

Employees were actively encouraged to poke their heads in on anything that could possibly be in their sphere of knowledge, so any sort of activity you did would be constantly interrupted with well-meaning suggestions from every approach.
    -lots of legacy employees who were promoted to that position years ago, then failed to pan out as far as technical knowledge leaders
    -constant pressure
    -lots of single-point of failure knowledge systems "e.g. Jeff is the only guy who can do that so wait for him to get back to you"
    -very budget-driven
    -complete failure to recognize that on-call time is time employees never get back.
    -huge 2-terabyte SAP database that they never could get approval to archive
    -raises use a bucket system, your supervisor only has a few grand to hand out for everyone.

One year of work is equal to two anywhere else.

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Great people and excellent upper management

Cons

Average salary and benefits with poor mid level managers

Give the employees better benefits and improve the middle managers

Good place to work

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Fast paced, active, aggressive, action oriented

Cons

Lack of appreciation for a job well done - just get on with the work.

Appreciate the staff and praise at every opportunity

It has been an amazing opportunity.

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Apache is an excellent place to work with the freedom to tailor a career to suit any person's ambitions.

Cons

With the recent oil boom in multiple regions Apache has not been as selective about hiring employees as they should be.

Make sure to recognize the future leaders of apache and foster an environment where they can develop a clear career path.