Apache

Updated October 22, 2014
3.5

Apache President, CEO, COO, and Director Steve Farris
Steve Farris

Pros
  • Work life balance isn't great, but its not bad either (in 3 reviews)

• Good projects and some good people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Heavy workload, constant pressure, no work-life balance, company should hire more people (in 5 reviews)

• much of your annual compensation is stock performance based and it is cyclical with oil and gas prices (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Fast paced, active, aggressive, action oriented

Cons

Lack of appreciation for a job well done - just get on with the work.

Appreciate the staff and praise at every opportunity

Overall great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Hard working employees, opportunities to excel

Cons

compensation relative to other O&G firms

stricter requirements for employee reviews and feedback

Apache is on the right track.

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache

Pros

It offers a great work and life balance. It is fairly easy to move to positions in other departments. Bureacracy is kept in minimum. Apache is growing fast and creating great opportunities for all of us. At the same time, management is very conservative and keeps the leverage at the managable level.
    Senior management is doing a fairly good job communicating with lower ranks of the company.

Cons

Also, Apache needs to make a change in their stationary supplies. I need to contact my supervisor every time I need supplies. We need better interaction between different accounting groups. Also, almost no training is offered at the headquarters.

Organize team work events to bring people from different departments together and increase communication between groups.

Apache: Demanding and Rewarding.

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Apache is a company that will allow you to develop a wide range of skills in a fast paced environment, and will allow you to make game changing decisions immediately. In the oil and gas industry, Apache is known as a company that expects a lot of its employees, but rewards them for it. The bonus structure is phenomenal compared to other companies in this industry.
    Perhaps the best part of working for Apache is that it is big enough to participate in large, technologically advanced projects that are cutting edge, but also small enough to be incredibly agile when it comes to moving forward on projects and navigating the often complicated world of oil and gas. At Apache you will see projects moving from start to finish under your watch - that is something my peers at other companies do not often get to experience.

Cons

The main downside at working for Apache is that it demands far more from its employees than other companies. At Apache you are expected to do more as an individual - although team concepts are evolving there are still many times when you will have to work in many diverse fields on one project. At other companies you might have 5-6 people working a project, whereas at Apache you would only have 2-3 for a project of similar scope.
    This leads to what I see as being the biggest downside of working at Apache as a technical expert. You are often expected to be married to your job. It's not uncommon to have the feeling that you can't take your vacations because of assignments and deadlines, especially if you are determined to be upwardly mobile. The work-life balance can be truly dismal.

I would suggest that we continue to aggressively pursue growth in new geographic regions - A company trying to grow as fast as Apache really needs to try and re-establish a foothold in Asia and expand operations in existing regions (i.e., expand North Sea region into Scandinavia and Egypt into other Middle Eastern Countries, like what was done with Argentina-Chile).
    I would also suggest reigning in some operations to the corporate structure, and consider having more centralized accounting, IT, and legal departments.
    Finally, I would suggest that we better optimize our use of human capital. We have experts in various regions that could make huge impacts in other regions. However, due to how personnel decision are made on a regional level and not a corporate level, people's talents often go to waste

Started out great, ended poorly due to management changes

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Apache full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place for aggressive, energetic works that like to crank out the work. Plenty of assets to work with and mostly skilled people in positions that matter.

Cons

The upper management turned over while I was there losing some of the key people that made the company a real good company.

Quit promoting suck ups and folks that the rank and file do not respect.

Good pay, but you are in the military with Apache. Expect to be controlled.

Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer
    Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer

I worked at Apache full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and bonuses

Cons

The company HR department has become stingy to the extreme. The management team is very autocratic, top down. There is a distinct lack of consideration for the feelings, desires, needs, wishes of the employees. There will likely be no reward in the end for your loyalty to this company.

Take into account the needs of your people and consult with them before you decide push them around. This way, you can avoid losing good people. Tell HR to back off and quite paying so much attention to small amounts of money. It really looks and feels "cheap."

Accountant leaving on good terms but sad about all the changes.

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule: every Friday is a half-day, work 9 hrs M-Thurs.
    401K and Pension plan
    3 weeks vacation

Cons

Micro-managing (as of late)
    Compensation is sub par for the industry
    Lack of communication

Recent changes in accounting created dreary and micro-managing work enviroment. What use to be a positive, fun, and relaxed atmosphere is now quiet, tense, and unsettling. Supervisors were 'rotated' and prior supervisors who knew every answer to a question and were admired for their openness and honesty have been replaced with supervisors who have little to no experience with our particular department and micro-manage on a daily basis. Additionally, the divesting is creating an environment of uncertainty which leads to talented employees looking elsewhere for growth and stability opportunities. Stop "messing up a good thing". Rotating supervisors and managers not only leaves employees unsure about their future, but it creates chaos and uncertainty. Many have left as a result of this change due to the new supervisors micro-managing and communication styles (or lack thereof). I planned to retire at Apache and am now leaving because of the aforementioned concerns.

Great place to work - if you're not contracted and/or hired on.

I have been working at Apache full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to be around, flexible schedule

Cons

If you work too hard, everyone will pile work onto you. I tried to take on more responsibilities so I can stand out from the crowd, only for all the upper management to forget, and just pile more work on me with crap (contracted) pay while everyone else does the same thing.

Hire your contractors that have been there more than a year.

Good people, questionable leadership.

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Houston location near Galleria.

Cons

Yes men seem to rise to leadership positions.

Management was very poor.

Former Employee - Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the community involvement.

Cons

Management was very poor. HR failed to resolve any issues. Many men could easily have sexual harassment suits against them. The culture was counter productive. Many negative people.