Apache

Apache President, CEO, COO, and Director Steve Farris

Steve Farris

Needs improvement

Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits are decent if you stay long enough for them to vest. Not hesitant to give you work responsibility. You have to put in a lot of hours, but its pretty laid back. Nice offices. I had a very nice boss.

Cons10% of people do 90% of the work. Some people do absolutely nothing and still receive the same bonus as everyone else. Little opportunity for advancement. Hard work not rewarded. You will work extra hours. You will not get the yearly bonus that they tell you to expect in your offer sheet. Small raises (2 or 3%). Very little work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your top performers or they will leave! Get rid of the people who do nothing. Promote the people who deserve it. Its 2013, time to give out corporate credit cards and not make people fill out expense reports every time they need to be reimbursed. At the very least automate the process.

Positive Summer Internship Experience

Summer Field Intern (Former Employee)

ProsI was a field intern for Apache, helping with well recompletions, mechanical work, and maintaining production. The internship was very well managed, with an emphasis on training. I learned a lot and was well compensated. Also, a successful internship gives a you a good chance of being hired by Apache in the future.

ConsThe hours were outside the typical 9-5 job, starting as early as 6 and days occasionally lasting 12, without overtime.

Very helpful people. Loved working here.

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNo extra hours. Laid back work culture. Worked as a contractor, and was paid very well.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to start exploring latest technology.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy and challenging

Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHands-on experience, eye-opener, learnt lots of things

ConsHeavy workload, constant pressure, no work-life balance, company should hire more people

Advice to Senior ManagementExpected more onboarding employee training, would like more social events in order to boost work morale

Great benefits. Lousy management.

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSome of the best benefits in town.

ConsTypical good oil boys environment.

Entry Level

Drilling Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThis company allows all employees to have the freedom to explore and make decisions. You can take ownership over your work and be proud of the work that you do. There is almost immediate value added to the company, even in an entry level position. It is a very enjoyable place to work. I would be hard pressed to find better pay and benefits.

ConsI work long hours, but that is expected in any entry level engineering position. I have no additional ones at this point, but will update if any arise.

Stable company, great benefits

Internal Auditor (Former Employee)

ProsGreat medical and retirement benefits. Stock incentive plans are enticing. Competitive pay for industry & job market. Seasoned industry employees; great opportunities to learn E&P industry. Stable company; executive management has a history of making smart investment decisions. SAP shop. Audit dept is ACL friendly.

ConsCompany culture is who you know not what you know. In reference to Internal Audit Dept, training opportunities are limited; certifications are not encouraged/supported (i.e. CPA, CIA, CFE); dept. loosely follows IIA stds; closed door culture, lacks open communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job on where you have taken company. If you would like to make the company "a great place to work" consider addressing issues with low level management (i.e., managers, directors). Allow employees to feel empowered. Consider changing your annual merit review structure.

Summer Student Apache

Field Engineering Student (Current Employee) Rocky Mountain House, AB (Canada)

Pros-Gave lots of responsibility
    -Safe work environment
    -great training
    -fast pace

Cons-No engineers on site
    -primarily in gas markets

Good place to work. Great people.

Administrative (Current Employee) South Houston, TX

ProsFlexible schedule. Great holiday party!

ConsOnboarding new employees / training

Been good to me so far

Senior Staff Geologist (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsMid sized independent with caring work environment. Empowers employees to follow their heart with great "go get it", no blame culture. Efficient systems processes that let you get on with your job and not do business with yourself (for now).

ConsHighly competitive peer group makes it harder and harder to increase shareholder value - law of diminishing returns kicking in as company grows. CEO close to retirement and in danger of losing direction. Procurement chain on brink of being hijacked by lawyers, middle management layer and SAP on pretext of "value add".

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it simple, restrict application of SAP to what it was designed for, do not under any circumstances allow delegation of roles through SAP as has happened at other companies. That's a fast track to doing business with yourself. Review LTI structure - may not provide as much of an incentive as in previous years due to recent rapid growth of company and difficulty in maintaining steady share price increase.

Worked for Apache? Contribute to the Community!