Apache Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Fantastic asset-based liquid-rich E&P competing with major multinational oil companies

Current Employee - Geophysicist I in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Geophysicist I in Midland, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, strong projected portfolio growth.

Cons

Limited office location availability and travel

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage

2. Apache Egypt review

Current Employee - Middle Management in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Egypt is an interesting location, pay is pretty good if you can hang in long enough to get vested in shares, etc.

Cons

Egypt wears on you after awhile. The company tries to make it livable, but for families it can be difficult.

Advice to Management

There should be some kind of uplift to work in the Joint Ventures! Work in the JV can be very very difficult due to exposure to all the elements of the Egyptian General Petroleum Company. Upper management of Apache should walk over and visit the JVs from time to time. At least come and chat with the upper management of the JV and walk a day in our muddy shoes.

Excellenct

Current Employee - Senior Imaging Tech in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Imaging Tech in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hard working company, I love it.

Cons

Managers needs to better look at workers before advancing them.

Great place and company to gain experience

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Lots of activity in operations
    Great place to gain experience in a lot of different ways for new geologists

Cons

Hard to transfer out of Midland to other office locations

6. Wild but short ride!

Former Employee - Senior Staff Geologist in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Minimal red tape in performing duties (unlike many peers, APA has yet to be paralysed by overblown HR and IT policies); employees afforded a high degree of empowerment for the job level, excellent team rapport, potential for rapid promotion. Proportion of benefit package tied to bonus is much larger than majority of peers - potential for 100% payout in a really good year.

Cons

APA has seen tremendous share growth in recent years, but has been relatively flat for the last few, and potentially attractive bonus features (TSR, RSU's) are likely to generate little value in the short to medium term. Length of service and nationality count more than experience. Non-US staff treated as second class citizens with different opportunity set, salary scales and benefit packages. HR staff poorly trained and lack maturity and experience to appropriately manage people moves. Steve Farris coming to end of career and a radical change in management style will liekly occur when he goes.

Advice to Management

APA has recently grown into a very big fish in a fairly small pond. Gut feel probably no longer sufficient to generate the shareholder value needed to distinguish from crowd.

7. Apache

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a good work life balance

Cons

No formal structured career paths

Apache is a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk II in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and work ethnics are great.

Cons

Favoritism shown towards certain employees.

Advice to Management

Rules should apply to all not some

Fast paced, challenging, keeps you on your toes!

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decisions made quickly, always striving for improvement, great team.

Cons

Corporate policy feels like it is starting to interfere at Region level. Market forces are pulling staff away, if you want to be the best you need to pay to keep the best. Watch out!

Advice to Management

Watch the bureaucratic empire building, get back to basics and get lean and mean again.

I'll be here at least four more years...

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

There is plenty of work to do. Very laid back office environment; private offices are even given to those in positions that wouldn't normally have one. If your like me and enjoy learning different aspects of the business, your encouraged to learn and many are willing to teach. Benefits are some of the best in the industry. Most managers are competent and approachable. My manager in particular is great, this person encourages us to have a proper work-life balance, doesn't micro manage (as long as we get our work done), will fight for us, and etc.

I like Apache, I feel the direction they are headed in is the right way to go even though the environment isn't in their favor right now. I have a personal goal of being in a certain position within four years, but they haven't won me over enough to stay if I haven't reached it by that time.

Cons

Similar to what another review pointed out, in some areas a few people do all the work while others share the rewards, I would say 50/50 split. I can easily get a higher salary and bonus elsewhere, but the benefits balance this to some degree... Each region/area and tenured employee has their own way of doing things-because some managers don't have a backbone- which makes having a structured work environment difficult.

I know employees that have should be promoted only to be overlooked by people brought in because they look better on paper and in person. Some managers are blinded by favoritism: college, interests and etc. One was such a staunch supporter of their Alma Mater that they would only interview and hire individuals from that university...

My initial training was pretty bad... I don't understand why people are coupled with those that are poor teachers and/or obviously don't care to train.

Advice to Management

Some of the "old heads" need to go or be set straight, they do nothing for this company except push away talented employees as they wait for retirement; they aren't willing to learn proper procedures and etc, some managers need to build the courage to address this...

Compensation needs to be raised to retain and compete with other firms. Managers need to do a better job in vetting employees, often at times people are onboarded because they look good on paper and in person, but their work says otherwise.

To touch on the 50/50 again... I had applied to positions at APA for quite some time before I was was brought on, which is understandable because I had an average resume. But fast forward to now, even with my limited experience with the company, I know more and perform better than most employees at the same level and higher... If you want to keep people like myself around, don't overlook your current employee pool for promotions...

Again, I like APA, but you haven't shown me enough to stay if another opportunity comes by. I've seen people overlooked for promotions, the only loyalty I've seen is to those that have been with the company for quite some time, even the poor performers, which is the issue.

11. Marketing Analyst

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Long term incentive not very good

RSS Feed </> Embed