Apache Reviews

Updated March 9, 2015
68 reviews filtered by

Apache is on the right track.

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache

Pros

It offers a great work and life balance. It is fairly easy to move to positions in other departments. Bureacracy is kept in minimum. Apache is growing fast and creating great opportunities for all of us. At the same time, management is very conservative and keeps the leverage at the managable level.
    Senior management is doing a fairly good job communicating with lower ranks of the company.

Cons

Also, Apache needs to make a change in their stationary supplies. I need to contact my supervisor every time I need supplies. We need better interaction between different accounting groups. Also, almost no training is offered at the headquarters.

Organize team work events to bring people from different departments together and increase communication between groups.

Apache: Demanding and Rewarding.

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache

Pros

Apache is a company that will allow you to develop a wide range of skills in a fast paced environment, and will allow you to make game changing decisions immediately. In the oil and gas industry, Apache is known as a company that expects a lot of its employees, but rewards them for it. The bonus structure is phenomenal compared to other companies in this industry.
    Perhaps the best part of working for Apache is that it is big enough to participate in large, technologically advanced projects that are cutting edge, but also small enough to be incredibly agile when it comes to moving forward on projects and navigating the often complicated world of oil and gas. At Apache you will see projects moving from start to finish under your watch - that is something my peers at other companies do not often get to experience.

Cons

The main downside at working for Apache is that it demands far more from its employees than other companies. At Apache you are expected to do more as an individual - although team concepts are evolving there are still many times when you will have to work in many diverse fields on one project. At other companies you might have 5-6 people working a project, whereas at Apache you would only have 2-3 for a project of similar scope.
    This leads to what I see as being the biggest downside of working at Apache as a technical expert. You are often expected to be married to your job. It's not uncommon to have the feeling that you can't take your vacations because of assignments and deadlines, especially if you are determined to be upwardly mobile. The work-life balance can be truly dismal.

I would suggest that we continue to aggressively pursue growth in new geographic regions - A company trying to grow as fast as Apache really needs to try and re-establish a foothold in Asia and expand operations in existing regions (i.e., expand North Sea region into Scandinavia and Egypt into other Middle Eastern Countries, like what was done with Argentina-Chile).
    I would also suggest reigning in some operations to the corporate structure, and consider having more centralized accounting, IT, and legal departments.
    Finally, I would suggest that we better optimize our use of human capital. We have experts in various regions that could make huge impacts in other regions. However, due to how personnel decision are made on a regional level and not a corporate level, people's talents often go to waste

3. Generally good with good people who treat you with respect.

I have been working at Apache full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and an entrepreneurial make it happen attitude, Generally good work atmosphere.

Cons

Senior management may have chosen the wrong path for the company in focusing exclusively on shale oil and the company may have tough times ahead with deep expenditure and staff cuts.

Consider diversification to mitigate risk and try to ensure the survival of the company.

5. Extremely Driven Company (Apache Canada)

Former Employee - Gas Plant Engineering in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Gas Plant Engineering in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Apache

Pros

If you are willing to work and work hard, this is the company for you. It is always a go go go atmosphere.
    Compensation is very good, including bonus etc.
    With the company you can see projects from concept to completion relatively quickly
    Lots of learning on the job

Cons

No work life balance. Mostly just work, which is good for early in your career
    Lots of pressure to perform

Try to have more work life balance for employees

6. Fresh graduate 2014

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Apache (less than a year)

Pros

Experience and future to be international petroleum engineer

Cons

Out of time for family , friends and personal activities

One team as family , grow everyday

Good pay, but you are in the military with Apache. Expect to be controlled.

Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer
    Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer

I worked at Apache full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and bonuses

Cons

The company HR department has become stingy to the extreme. The management team is very autocratic, top down. There is a distinct lack of consideration for the feelings, desires, needs, wishes of the employees. There will likely be no reward in the end for your loyalty to this company.

Take into account the needs of your people and consult with them before you decide push them around. This way, you can avoid losing good people. Tell HR to back off and quite paying so much attention to small amounts of money. It really looks and feels "cheap."

8. Student Role

Current Employee - Junior Engineer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Junior Engineer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Apache part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exciting and new projects on the go. Continuing to explore, and introducing new innovations.

Cons

Soem attention may be diverted away from international regions and focusing more on the states.

Company's Bonus' very poor in view we run around 96% efficiency. Leader in North Sea

Current Employee - Technician in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Technician in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Apache full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

3 weeks off. 1 hours flight to heli-port. Maintenance & Production Team are first class to work with, everybody very helpful.

Cons

Sometimes too many projects on-going at same time. Old redundant equipment very slow if at all ever removed.

Appreciate the teams you have in place on these old challenging platforms. Miracles are sometimes performed by experienced operators to prevent production shutdowns. This years bonus did not reflect all our hard work even though we are currently & have been for some time the No1 Operarting Efficiency Company of the North Sea at 96%. Pay rise due make it a good one.

10. Apache Egypt review

Current Employee - Middle Management in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Apache full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Egypt is an interesting location, pay is pretty good if you can hang in long enough to get vested in shares, etc.

Cons

Egypt wears on you after awhile. The company tries to make it livable, but for families it can be difficult.

There should be some kind of uplift to work in the Joint Ventures! Work in the JV can be very very difficult due to exposure to all the elements of the Egyptian General Petroleum Company. Upper management of Apache should walk over and visit the JVs from time to time. At least come and chat with the upper management of the JV and walk a day in our muddy shoes.

Good Internship

Former Intern - IT Intern
    Former Intern - IT Intern

I worked at Apache as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and relaxed environment.

Cons

Not a lot of self-development.

Involve the interns more.