Apartment List

Updated June 27, 2014
Updated June 27, 2014
4.6

John Kobs

Best place I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Engineering  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apartment List full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is amazingly supportive and fun (an attitude that permeates down from the founders), and leaders are constantly recognizing people for good work. That's easy to do when everyone is at the top of their game - even at 60+ employees, each one of them can be trusted to deliver consistently, usually exceeding expectations. The business team is highly skilled and very open to engineering needs, and vise versa. As we expand, there are a ton of new projects and roles for everyone to grow into.

Cons

The usual balancing act between business, product and engineering, and the occasional surprise deadline. Nothing you won't find everywhere.

Passionate environment, difficult work/life balance

I worked at Apartment List full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely intelligent coworkers who are truly excited by what they doe. Inspiring mission and great atmosphere.

Cons

While the executives work hard to motivate and build a sense of family, there is a slightly schizophrenicattitude to business decisions, leading to wild swings in strategy that cause tidal waves of surprising and difficult change.

Clearly set expectations, then stick to them. If business needs change, be honest and straightforward with employees so they can change with them.

Rewarding, challenging, exciting environment.

I have been working at Apartment List

Pros

ApartmentList provides a stimulating environment that allows each employee to grow and thrive. The culture surrounding ApartmentList is fun and exciting, including the fantastic employees!

Cons

No downsides, this is an amazing place to work at.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and high-performing environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apartment List full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people pulled directly from top engineering programs, universities, and professional service firms
    Fun and inviting company culture that still delivers on key objectives (work hard / play hard)
    Company has a great product and is on a very good trajectory - well positioned to win the rentals space

Cons

Could be a pro or a con depending on your personality but you have to wear many hats - hey it is a startup! You have to be willing to work hard, ramp up quickly, and be flexible.

Amazing people, fun projects, competitive comp.

I have been working at Apartment List full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work at Apartment List are hands down my all-time favorite colleagues. The team is brilliant, creative, open-minded, inclusive and hilarious. We have thrown some killer parties and the executive team is great at coordinating group activities, like karaoke, scavenger hunts, baseball games, dinners, etc. We also do an open-forum style company meeting every Friday, so we are all up to date on company happenings, regardless of which team we're on.

Cons

The leadership team has super high expectations, which can be stressful and unrealistic at times. It can be hard to find a work/life balance because everyone works so late.

Worked for Apartment List? Contribute to the Community!