Apartment List Reviews

John Kobs

1. Proud to be part of industry change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Apartment List full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture and the employees are brilliant. By listening to the needs of the industry and creating and developing what the consumer wants, this industry is forever changed! I'm proud to have a voice the company will listen to.

Cons

The interview process was intense, but I understand why. They want the perfect fit to our growing family.

Advice to Management

Keep the company's core beliefs, along with investing in your employees will help the entire company win.

2. Start-Ups are great

Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO

Pros

You're not just a number, you're a person You have a chance to make an impact at even the slightest level Change is embraced and as one person, you're helping to make change Management is full of energy and 100% approachable

Cons

Not all policies are set in stone as of yet, but that's the beauty of it as well

Advice to Management

What I love is that management is open to feedback to better the company; keep doing what you're doing and stay forever learning;

3. Review Title

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apartment List full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great: impressive resumes, can-do attitude, fun to be around and to work with. Culture is very data-driven. They're tackling a huge problem and opportunity, because finding an apartment is a pain in the butt. Management is very capable and resourceful. And the perks are phenomenal.

Cons

Big market opportunity also implies that there are many well-funded competitors (including some public companies). Management could be a lot more transparent. Pressure to deliver could be managed better.

Advice to Management

Focus on communication and transparency - people know what's up, whether you tell them or not.

5. One Word: Talent

I have been working at Apartment List full-time

Pros

The talent level at Apartment List is unreal. Some of the best brands and schools are at show here, and it's reflected in the quality of our product. As if that weren't enough, Apartment List has done the impossible, and has managed to build a team that is equally as humble as it is driven. Everyone here is a team player, and is willing to go above and beyond to help each other win. Teams at AList don't live in bubbles, and frequently collaborate and work together on projects. Similarly, management is heavily involved in the granular details of our operations which helps to keep a meaningful connection through the company's hierarchy. The culture is definitely typical SV tech startup-y, but I've never heard anyone complain about kegs and free food. Weekly all hands meetings, hackathons, and happy hours coupled with monthly company wide events do a great job of making Apartment List feel "small" despite the growing bodies.

Cons

Hours can be fairly long, and there are definitely some high pressure situations sprinkled in throughout the work week to keep things interest. But these are complaints that would be applicable to any fast paced startup.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the culture, and keep the hiring bar high. You've been a fantastic team, and steady commitment to the company's core beliefs, along with investing in your employees will help the entire company win.

6. Superb Talent and Amazing Culture

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apartment List full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Apartment List has fantastic talent in engineering. The head of engineering is soft-spoken but brilliant, and naturally engenders the respect of the entire company, both inside and outside the engineering team. The engineers focus on good design while staying pragmatic. Product team values a 'Renter First' attitude that is taking the product to the next level; the latest product changes are really inspiring. The CEO, John Kobs, conveys a clarity of vision that keeps the team focused and inspires.

Cons

Apartment List had to pivot to find a sustainable business model in the long term, and has had to switch up the product to get things into a good place. Those switches are frustrating, but ultimately necessary. The company is in a better place today than it ever has been, but getting there was often rocky and stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on superb product. Build investments in automation and infrastructure. The excellent company culture is a huge asset; don't let it fade!

7. Great Startup driven by culture and product!

I have been working at Apartment List full-time

Pros

-Qualified and Approachable Management: Apartment List has assembled a really bright and driven team that sets the tone at the top. -Staying Nimble: The goal is to build a great renter experience and in turn a great company; Apartment List has proven that it is willing to do whatever necessary to reach these goals. -No signs of micro-management: I feel that as long as I explain why I feel a project is important and deliver results; I have a lot of freedom. -Great and Rewarding Culture: participation in fun events is encouraged but also everyone is kept in the loop about company performance. The team lunches are a great way to get to know everyone. -Benefits are in line with later stage startups: Commuter and Gym Reimbursements are a nice added bonus. Daily lunch is key too. -Hard work seems to get noticed: If you work hard, have a positive attitude, and accomplish goals- you get rewarded. Equity, Salary, and Bonus incentives are in play but also recognition (which is often overlooked).

Cons

Small team with a lot to do: You may find yourself doing things outside of your job description. Not your typical hierarchical structure you might find at a company with 100+ employees. No hand-holding: You are expected to jump in and contribute.

Advice to Management

Stay involved with all aspects of the business.

8. Smart People, Great Culture, Disrupting Traditional Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apartment List full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talent at Apartment List is awesome both from the engineering and bus ops side. Brought on an awesome head of product about a year ago and the focus on the renter and building a long term great experience has hit new levels. Lots of fun company activities and everyone definitely feels supported by each other.

Cons

Expectations are high and if you can't hold your own in a discussion or take constructive feedback this probably isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the renter and awesome product and things will keep exploding!

9. From someone who saw lots of sides and had many managers

I worked at Apartment List full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are passionate, hard working, and fun employees there who will support and encourage growth. When the company parties it is a blast as well. Depending on your manager you can have an amazing experience.

Cons

The some of the C-level management are so full of themselves that they will most likely destroy you and their company as they tend to treat most of their employees like garbage. Moral is horrible the as constant crap roles down hill.

Advice to Management

Remain constant in your message to your employees and instead of tearing them down, build them up. You will get so much more from happy employees than employees who feel like horrible walking into work every day wondering what they will get yelled for each time they see you.

10. Startups are not always perfect but neither is life.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apartment List full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A team that is willing to learn from mistakes. Communication if you are willing to communicate. Plenty of cross company dialog. Great team atmosphere if you are willing to be part of a team!

Cons

The Renter Specialist department has had some ups and downs but it is just one part of a bigger picture. Yes one could say the company has a "Frat" nature but I look at it in one of the classic definitions of Fraternal. Made up of members who share an interest or purpose. Each person on the team has to prove themselves because the company it self is trying to prove it self. If I have one con is that all teams need to view every department as a vital piece of an organism.

Advice to Management

Believe in the people you have across all departments and they will believe in you!

Great Minds But Schizophrenic Goal Setting

I worked at Apartment List full-time

Pros

At my time at Apartment List I met and worked alongside a lot of awesome people. Lots of great minds who come up with great ideas work there. In addition, nearly everyone there has a positive attitude and friendly demeanor.

Cons

The people who are not friendly are bottom of the barrel people who would gladly throw you under a bus just to get a quarter you both saw on the street. Also, many times I was involved with strategy we would come up with a plan with long term goals only to be told a week later to drop the plan and work on something new only to go back a few days later to the previous plan. People need to be patient and wait for long term goals and not jump ship when one bad email comes in but 10 positive ones did.

Advice to Management

Pick an idea and stay with it. I know it's a start up but changing your vision every 2 days only leads to peoples time being wasted.

RSS Feed </> Embed