Apartment People

3.3

Ilene Collins

Great place to work

I worked at Apartment People full-time

Pros

Really great group of people and motivating managers

Cons

If you are working a salaried position there is little room for growth

You better REALLY like being in your car

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartment People

Pros

As a leasing agent, you're an independent contractor, not an employee, so you're supposed to be able to set your own schedule. You can work as much as you want, and there's no real limit to how much money you can make (in an ideal world). There's very little boring office work. Most of your day is spent in the car with clients, or showing apartments.

Cons

During the rental season (summer and early fall), you're swamped, and money is good. Once October hits, however, things really dry up. Leasing agents are commission only with no benefits, and it can be painful to go to an office everyday without making a dime for a week or more. Also, although you're technically supposed to be able to set your own schedule, the AP doesn't let you. You're on a set shift schedule every week, and good luck getting any weekend days off during summer. (This is tax evasion on their part, but whatever.) You pay to become licensed, for daily parking, and for your gas, so you spend a lot of money just for the chance to make commission. I decided that it wasn't worth it -- I'd rather do sales in an office, without sitting all day in city traffic, trying to find parking spots in Lincoln Park.

During the summer months, management really runs you ragged. I'm a high energy person, and I was constantly exhausted, and they were constantly asking me to take out just one more client at 8:30 PM, half an hour after my "shift" had ended. They care more about getting as many lease applications as possible over anything else. And also leasing agents are independent contractors, they are treated like employees, with shifts, training, supervision, etc. This isn't very fair to employees, as they don't get the benefits of either status (no benefits + messy taxes + shift schedule = yuck). One last thing: tell new leasing agents that they won't get the commissions on leases until a few weeks after the tenant has moved in. My first few paychecks were a blow to my morale because I had worked so many hours and was paid so little.

Good way to learn the industry if you really want to grind

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apartment People

Pros

Flexibility as you're an independent contractor. Possibility to make good money if you really grind

Cons

As an independent contractor, your pay varies greatly. 100% commission based job. Have to pay for your own Gas, which you'll burn through QUICKLY driving all over the city

The company has too much of a familial atmosphere, which is good, but at the same time works to the detriment of the company truly attaining its potential.