Apartments.com Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Andy Florance

1. Great and young atmosphere. Laid back management

I have been working at Apartments.com

Pros

Food and drinks. Catered lunches. Nice office. Good people. Great atmosphere

Cons

Managements communication is poor but they are nice

Unless you enjoy working for egotistical maniacs, run away

I worked at Apartments.com

Pros

None. But seriously, since Glassdoor requires at least 5 words for the Pros section, I will say that they have a very nice office building.

Cons

Every single thing about this company is one giant con. Stay away. I cannot think of enough ways to seriously warn you and not work here. Prior to CoStar acquiring Apartments in April 2014, this was the greatest company to work for. I made lifelong friends, enjoyed coming to work every day and loved my boss. CoStar has completely destroyed everything we worked so hard to create there. I've seen coworkers get belittled, had all of their responsibilities taken away and gotten laid off. I've seen beloved coworkers leave because they were so unhappy working there, including the president of Apartments that the entire company loved. The CEO of CoStar, Andy Florance, is a narcissistic jerk. It's his way or the highway. He is literally involved in every last decision, no matter how small it is. I read an article about him last year, where he says he questions the methodology Glassdoor uses in their rankings. People are literally telling him that his company is terrible to work for and that leads him to believe Glassdoor is biased, instead of actually looking at the problem. I can't tell you how many times someone has told me they literally only work there for the money. I mean good for you, you're making money while working at a morally corrupt company. Andy's response to any issue is either to sue or throw money at it. How's that for a role model? Seriously. Do just one google search on the guy and it'll be enough for you to never want to work here either.

Advice to Management

Stop being brainwashed.

Great people, for the most part.

I worked at Apartments.com full-time

Pros

Was a very progressive company before they were bought out. Good training, and people were very easy to work with. Lots of benefits outside the norm, like discounts on health club, train passes, and computer equipment.

Cons

Executive team was not in touch with salespeople and their day to day needs. Micromanagers. More focused on process than results. Commission plan changed every year. Seemed like they couldn't figure out how to get it right. Pay is lower than most sales positions.

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize good talent. Learn to coach your salespeople better.

Uber-Casual Work Environment and Decent Salaries.

Former Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartments.com

Pros

Good work-life balance, very casual working environment (wear jeans and hoodies if you want), good location in the Loop. Managers easy to talk to.

Cons

Seems to suffer from being an early-dotcom and as a result, is not too keen on updating practices, which was a big turn off. Not many opportunities to move up, teams are over-managed, too many meetings, poorly-performing colleagues are not properly handled, their work is put on other team members and the lackluster employee can skate along doing minimal work, seemingly forever. Middle-management is often afraid of calling people out or being "bad cops." I left in 2011, before they were sold. I've been told it's even worse now.

Advice to Management

Take more risks with updating workflows and practices. Many of your ground-level employees are smarter than you allow them to be.

Good Job Outta College

Former Employee - Customer Support
    Former Employee - Customer Support

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good benefits - before and after CoStar bought it out. Had some great coworkers who I still keep in touch with. Real estate and rental database is superb.

Cons

Within my department, there was no room for promotion. Not enough proper training, which leads to hiccups once in awhile. Though mistakes are minor, one can be unfrairly disciplined.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Think about keeping a branch in Chicago. A lot of employees have been there awhile and all will be kicked to the curb if they don't want to move to headquarters in D.C.

I miss the good ole days...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apartments.com full-time

Pros

Casual work environment. Fun to be a part of a dot com.

Cons

New parent company making rash decisions and have let many people go over past year.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone involved in the transitions coming up. Provide better communication about the direction of the company.

8. Clueless

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Flexibiilty with hours.

Cons

Training if awful. Management is awful. Metrics constantly change with the focus of the advertising consultants having to constantly change.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of them who are flaky, not dependable, and poor at their jobs.

Increasing micro management

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability tow work from home and manage customer relationships is a strong draw for many Acct Execs.

Cons

During tenure, micro management of AEs continued to increase. While I understand their intention was to aid inexperienced AEs, or help underpeformers, they applied new rules and regulations across the board that resulted in hindering high performers. For example, the number of weekly appointments increased, while,new requirements were put in place making AEs add meeting notes to SalesForce from their car, before leaving the parking lot. Adding notes at the end of the day was not allowed. While this may be a good practice for a new AE to ensure they enter accurate and thorough notes, it isn't necessary to manage everyone that way. We needed the time on the road to get to the next appt, which were tightly packed in our days due to the increased requirements. There were many times I had to choose between getting to an appointment late or missing entering my notes (which had negative consequences). Ultimately, that level of micromanagement of my day led me to leave.

Advice to Management

Now under new ownership, I hope the company invests more in top-performing sales professionals, and treats them as such (with appropriate salaries).

They used to have a great culture...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before they were bought out their culture was great! There would be many team building trips, happy hours, events, holiday parties, conferences or just after work get together's just because. However, everyone's experience truly differed due to who they were managed by and how well they got along with their team. I personally had a favorable experience with a like-minded team with similar work ethics. Very laid back friendly vibe at work, no micromanagement. Also management seemed very interested and open to seeing their employees grow. They are trained to be supportive of employees that would like to move up but do encourage you to do so within the company, whether it be Cars or Apartments. Constant check ins and management training were expected of the managers. Work from home was allowed 3 x a week to maintain work life balance. Also the CV university always had interesting classes to attend. Senior management was very friendly and approachable then, often going out with us after work and giving us many opportunities to interact and get to know them.

Cons

Even though managers do encourage growth per their management training they aren't that pro active about giving promotions. You often times have to apply to another position at their sister company (Cars) to make that happen. A lot of corporate politics, they often would refer to themselves as having the feel of a "start-up" however that is so far from the truth. I will say they were the least corporate of my corporate experience but as I understand since the buy out that is no longer the case. I wouldn't consider this company now since they've been bought. Mostly everyone has moved on or been laid off due to the stricter guidelines. Promotion was mainly due to favoritism and who you know. Their benefits aren't the best either.

Advice to Management

Most of them quit...

11. Super company!

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apartments.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is open with employees.

Cons

Company was just sold, some open questions for us.

Advice to Management

Don't back down from being our champions during the sale and transition! Continue to be open and supportive.

RSS Feed </> Embed