Apartments.com

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.3

CEO

Uber-Casual Work Environment and Decent Salaries.

Former Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartments.com

Pros

Good work-life balance, very casual working environment (wear jeans and hoodies if you want), good location in the Loop. Managers easy to talk to.

Cons

Seems to suffer from being an early-dotcom and as a result, is not too keen on updating practices, which was a big turn off. Not many opportunities to move up, teams are over-managed, too many meetings, poorly-performing colleagues are not properly handled, their work is put on other team members and the lackluster employee can skate along doing minimal work, seemingly forever. Middle-management is often afraid of calling people out or being "bad cops." I left in 2011, before they were sold. I've been told it's even worse now.

Take more risks with updating workflows and practices. Many of your ground-level employees are smarter than you allow them to be.

I miss the good ole days...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apartments.com full-time

Pros

Casual work environment. Fun to be a part of a dot com.

Cons

New parent company making rash decisions and have let many people go over past year.

Keep everyone involved in the transitions coming up. Provide better communication about the direction of the company.

Clueless

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Flexibiilty with hours.

Cons

Training if awful. Management is awful. Metrics constantly change with the focus of the advertising consultants having to constantly change.

Get rid of some of them who are flaky, not dependable, and poor at their jobs.

Increasing micro management

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability tow work from home and manage customer relationships is a strong draw for many Acct Execs.

Cons

During tenure, micro management of AEs continued to increase. While I understand their intention was to aid inexperienced AEs, or help underpeformers, they applied new rules and regulations across the board that resulted in hindering high performers. For example, the number of weekly appointments increased, while,new requirements were put in place making AEs add meeting notes to SalesForce from their car, before leaving the parking lot. Adding notes at the end of the day was not allowed. While this may be a good practice for a new AE to ensure they enter accurate and thorough notes, it isn't necessary to manage everyone that way. We needed the time on the road to get to the next appt, which were tightly packed in our days due to the increased requirements. There were many times I had to choose between getting to an appointment late or missing entering my notes (which had negative consequences). Ultimately, that level of micromanagement of my day led me to leave.

Now under new ownership, I hope the company invests more in top-performing sales professionals, and treats them as such (with appropriate salaries).

They used to have a great culture...

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Before they were bought out their culture was great! There would be many team building trips, happy hours, events, holiday parties, conferences or just after work get together's just because. However, everyone's experience truly differed due to who they were managed by and how well they got along with their team. I personally had a favorable experience with a like-minded team with similar work ethics. Very laid back friendly vibe at work, no micromanagement. Also management seemed very interested and open to seeing their employees grow. They are trained to be supportive of employees that would like to move up but do encourage you to do so within the company, whether it be Cars or Apartments. Constant check ins and management training were expected of the managers. Work from home was allowed 3 x a week to maintain work life balance. Also the CV university always had interesting classes to attend. Senior management was very friendly and approachable then, often going out with us after work and giving us many opportunities to interact and get to know them.

Cons

Even though managers do encourage growth per their management training they aren't that pro active about giving promotions. You often times have to apply to another position at their sister company (Cars) to make that happen. A lot of corporate politics, they often would refer to themselves as having the feel of a "start-up" however that is so far from the truth. I will say they were the least corporate of my corporate experience but as I understand since the buy out that is no longer the case. I wouldn't consider this company now since they've been bought. Mostly everyone has moved on or been laid off due to the stricter guidelines. Promotion was mainly due to favoritism and who you know. Their benefits aren't the best either.

Most of them quit...

Super company!

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apartments.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is open with employees.

Cons

Company was just sold, some open questions for us.

Don't back down from being our champions during the sale and transition! Continue to be open and supportive.

Great company culture and benefits

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great teamwork
    -Great benefits
    -Very supportive
    -Tons of opportunities for growth
    -Great company parties!
    -Positive people
    -great for first job out of college
    -Sister company of Cars.com so even more opportunities to grow

Cons

-Marketing team is horrible if you are a salesperson. They just don't get it
    -The product is the same as or not as good as competitors
    -any tech or product improvements take FOREVER - for an online company they SUCK at technology.
    -a few upper level employees are unqualified but never get fired

Invest in the website more. Make the marketing team try to sell the product. Evaluate employees based on the work they do not how long they've worked there.

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apartments.com part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Apartments.com has an excellent work atmosphere. The people who work there are easygoing, fun loving individuals who will go out of their way to get the job done. There are excellent benefits packages and other great perks.

Cons

The salary is not as high as other companies in Chicago with comparible job openings

None