Apartments.com

CEO

Super company!

Current Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apartments.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is open with employees.

Cons

Company was just sold, some open questions for us.

Don't back down from being our champions during the sale and transition! Continue to be open and supportive.

Increasing micro management

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartments.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability tow work from home and manage customer relationships is a strong draw for many Acct Execs.

Cons

During tenure, micro management of AEs continued to increase. While I understand their intention was to aid inexperienced AEs, or help underpeformers, they applied new rules and regulations across the board that resulted in hindering high performers. For example, the number of weekly appointments increased, while,new requirements were put in place making AEs add meeting notes to SalesForce from their car, before leaving the parking lot. Adding notes at the end of the day was not allowed. While this may be a good practice for a new AE to ensure they enter accurate and thorough notes, it isn't necessary to manage everyone that way. We needed the time on the road to get to the next appt, which were tightly packed in our days due to the increased requirements. There were many times I had to choose between getting to an appointment late or missing entering my notes (which had negative consequences). Ultimately, that level of micromanagement of my day led me to leave.

Now under new ownership, I hope the company invests more in top-performing sales professionals, and treats them as such (with appropriate salaries).

They used to have a great culture...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartments.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Before they were bought out their culture was great! There would be many team building trips, happy hours, events, holiday parties, conferences or just after work get together's just because. However, everyone's experience truly differed due to who they were managed by and how well they got along with their team. I personally had a favorable experience with a like-minded team with similar work ethics. Very laid back friendly vibe at work, no micromanagement. Also management seemed very interested and open to seeing their employees grow. They are trained to be supportive of employees that would like to move up but do encourage you to do so within the company, whether it be Cars or Apartments. Constant check ins and management training were expected of the managers. Work from home was allowed 3 x a week to maintain work life balance. Also the CV university always had interesting classes to attend. Senior management was very friendly and approachable then, often going out with us after work and giving us many opportunities to interact and get to know them.

Cons

Even though managers do encourage growth per their management training they aren't that pro active about giving promotions. You often times have to apply to another position at their sister company (Cars) to make that happen. A lot of corporate politics, they often would refer to themselves as having the feel of a "start-up" however that is so far from the truth. I will say they were the least corporate of my corporate experience but as I understand since the buy out that is no longer the case. I wouldn't consider this company now since they've been bought. Mostly everyone has moved on or been laid off due to the stricter guidelines. Promotion was mainly due to favoritism and who you know. Their benefits aren't the best either.

Most of them quit...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company culture and benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apartments.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great teamwork
    -Great benefits
    -Very supportive
    -Tons of opportunities for growth
    -Great company parties!
    -Positive people
    -great for first job out of college
    -Sister company of Cars.com so even more opportunities to grow

Cons

-Marketing team is horrible if you are a salesperson. They just don't get it
    -The product is the same as or not as good as competitors
    -any tech or product improvements take FOREVER - for an online company they SUCK at technology.
    -a few upper level employees are unqualified but never get fired

Invest in the website more. Make the marketing team try to sell the product. Evaluate employees based on the work they do not how long they've worked there.

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apartments.com part-time for more than a year

Pros

Apartments.com has an excellent work atmosphere. The people who work there are easygoing, fun loving individuals who will go out of their way to get the job done. There are excellent benefits packages and other great perks.

Cons

The salary is not as high as other companies in Chicago with comparible job openings

None

Worked for Apartments.com? Contribute to the Community!