Apcon

Updated July 22, 2014
2.8

Apcon President & CEO Richard Rauch
Richard Rauch

working in the production aera

Former Employee - Production Assembler/Test Operator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Production Assembler/Test Operator in Portland, OR

I worked at Apcon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 13 years as a assembler, test tech, test trouble shooter and prototype assembler. most all the production employ were a good bunch of people. the enginers I worked with were great and helpful a very good group

Cons

you heard here lot of times.. the ceo/owner. I worked very close with him for about 8 years. he is a very intelligent guy. but he really has no "people skills" unless you are on his level of living. he gives you a project, sets you to work and then when you either ask a question or show the status, it is all wrong and it ALL WAYS your fault. he would change mind in midstream making most your time on the project pointless. I started as an assembler, started helping with the testing an repair of products with out ever receiving the pay that usualy come with that job. I was laid off because of my attendance. in 13 years I had I believe 1 written warning and a few verbal that my attendance was getting close to problem, which I would then take care of. management wont give a straight answer. part of my point being, if attendance was so horrific why was I there so long? in general most the revews here are spot on. with the eception of the ones praising management. there are added by either the ceo or most likely the head manager

Richard, your a intelligent enginer. you have desined some good products. but you really need to let the upper management you hire do there job. and get the tools to work and develop the high level products you have. pay the people what they deserve and don't take things personaly if someone disagree with you, learn from it. basicly just need be an enginer and not a micro manager. everyone try to please his whim for fear of there job. it really slows the grouth of the compeny

Working in an Atmosphere of Uncertainty

I worked at Apcon full-time

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed working with everyone in the Richardson office. The autonomy of my position allowed me to be creative and I felt like I was a positive influence, as well as productive. Working close to home was a perk I had never experienced and relished the short drive during my short employment of 6 months.

Cons

Historically, my position only lasts for a few months before executive management severs the ties. I have little hope that anyone hired will retire there, but I wish them the best for giving it a shot.

It would behoove executive leadership to attend management classes and learn that sincerity, honesty, and kindness creates a working environment that is much more productive and happy than one where the employees are yelled at and belittled.

Great job, great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Apcon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always exciting and challenging. I expected to be bored by now, but new opportunities to learn, expand, and grow are here for the taking. The people here are as good as any I have worked with.

Cons

Schedule pressure is always an issue mostly due to the nature of the market - we have to keep up with and hopefully exceed the features and capabilities of our competitors

Still Going Strong

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Apcon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Just passing first anniversary with APCON. No longer have to hide in corner, looking for my "happy place". Truly APCON is the perfect work/life balance. Upper management pays for my insurance, and generous vacation policy. Weekend work is not expected, just insure my actions are completed ahead of deadlines.

Check out APCON's career page, and find YOUR happy place, with us.

Cons

Only thought here is that I wish I could refer my friends to positions here, but they're mostly full already.

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of your team, our insurance, and creating so many jobs for so many great colleagues!

APCON is a Growing Company with New Vision

I have been working at Apcon full-time

Pros

APCON is a great company to work for with a niche solution. APCON is selling to the largest global companies in the world and beating out the competition with a very high successful rate. The competitive landscape has changed in this space and APCON has gracefully adapted to those changes. With new marketing, engineering, R&D efforts, sales and yes "SE"s in place the president/CEO is listening to his team. People care about each other and share success with each other. I find that I can make a difference in the company and to our clients. It has been highly rewarding to work hard and see the results of those efforts come to light. I am proud to represent a company who is small enough to pay attention and big enough to make a difference to the largest companies in many vertical markets.

Cons

I have not worked here long enough. I wish I found the company sooner. I'm glad I am here and expecting to be here for many years to come.

Continue to listen to what clients need and develop to those requirements. The innovative quality solutions will continue to pay dividends. There will always be employees who did not make the cut long term or who were not successful at APCON. Chances are good they were not successful in their previous jobs and were middle of the road. These are usually the people who speak out pooly. I believe the cream of the crop rises to the occassion. Fight the good fight.

Like any company, there are good points and bad - that's why they pay you to go to work.

I have been working at Apcon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Apcon is doing original work in their field, and there is a great opportunity to contribute to the products and see your contribution make it into the world. The people you work with are pleasant and fun to be around. There is a definite sense of being part of a cohesive team. APCON has weathered the Great Recession while hiring and growing - that's important.

Cons

Like any smaller company, Apcon is subject to sudden changes of direction which may seem arbitrary. The CEO is a hands-on boss, and he speaks his mind. That can be disturbing to people who aren't used to a brutally frank management style. But he gets results.

Hardware Engineers Run

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Apcon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great group of current engineers. My engineering co-workers were the best part of this short experience. I can't really speak of any other departments or the product itself.

Cons

For full disclosure, I’m a recently terminated Apcon, Inc. hardware engineer with a background in test. I was an employee for less than 60 days. No reason was provided for the termination other than it was felt I wasn’t working out. My primary interaction was with the hardware and software engineers for whom I have nothing but praise.

My review pertains more to the senior management decision making process from the perspective of a hardware test engineer. Since 2007, this company has had about 6 different people compete with the (CEO/Owner) for the responsibility of engineering manager/director. In my short time at Apcon, the current engineering manager wasn’t even certain he could get the authorization to purchase a $130 2x attenuation probe or an $1800 1MΩ probe adapter to properly perform requested measurements. Don’t even consider getting an additional high speed probe. There’s no software license to perform design simulations, optimization, pre or post analysis; you might as well have a chisel and stone tablet.

It was amusing when the owner sent an e-mail indicating he wanted to spearhead getting to the bottom of some engineering issue (in my opinion) his reactive, emotion based decision making process led to. Decisions seem to be top down, made on a whim and not necessarily with supporting data. The owner also likes to frequently verbally assert his knowledge and experience.

After collecting data (scope screenshots) as directed in the previously mentioned meeting, I was going to prepare a report when Richard requested to see all the measurements performed again so he could see them on the scope instead of just seeing the screen shots in the report. He made some snarky comment about me being the new kid and his vast experience.

Some might see my comments as the quibble of a disgruntled person, however I’m writing this as a cautionary tale reflecting my personal opinions, observations & experience. I made the decision to leave a contract position I enjoyed for the potential opportunity Apcon seemed to represent based upon comments in the interview. I was cautiously optimistic right up until the day I started and learned the cheapest, least capable tools possible had been purchased to upgrade from a 7 year old legacy tool (i.e. Altium PCAD). I don’t mind saying it was PCAD because Apcon states in a public job description PCAD is used. I’ve been very careful in writing this review so as not to make any comments that may be viewed as proprietary and make me the subject of litigation.

I was just starting a report when called to my termination meeting. Data I was going to use (scope screen shots) was on a personal thumb drive because a company thumb drive was not provided or readily available. In addition to the few Apcon files being used for reports, there was over 9GB of personal files in the form of various useful python scripts I’d written or collected, application notes and presentations (not everything was backed up).

After my termination, I was walked from the building without the opportunity to personally gather my belongings (I didn’t make any threating remarks or outbursts to warrant such treatment). When being walked from the building, I informed the Engineering Director my thumb drive was in the front of the computer, but had to ask them to go back for it when it wasn’t originally brought out with my other belongings (this is after waiting around on the loading dock for 15 minutes). Instead of asking me to remove any Apcon data from the thumb drive, the engineering director, formatted my flash drive without forewarning me or informing me after the fact when my flash drive was finally brought out to the loading dock.

You decide if this is where you want to work. Best of luck.

Finally, to reiterate, the other engineers I worked with are a fine group of individuals. Best of luck to you too since you must continue dealing with Richard.

The owner is a condescending, micromanager. You hired a engineering director for a reason, give him a budget, get some decent test equipment and a full blown EDA package with analysis capabilities. Tell your engineers they're doing good work and then leave them alone. You're supposed to be the person strategically leading your company not micromanaging engineering and being the person people least want to see walking toward them.

Why Apcon cant keep good sales people

Current Employee - Regional Sales
    Current Employee - Regional Sales

I have been working at Apcon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Product can sell itself if you can get it in front of decision makers

Cons

Local "old guard" sales managers play way too much politics. Always trying to take credit for your sales when speaking to management. You never know what they are saying about you behind your back. I invested months in a sale, created the opportunity managed the sales process keeping my local manager entirely informed . Back in headquarters I heard about a large sale that my manager worked, and it turned out to be my account sale.

Mark should dump the "old guard" local sales managers so he can learn what is really going on here. I want to sell. I have no time for hdq politics. If Mark doesn't fix things then Mr. Rauch should fire Mark.

"Yes Sir" people will do well there... and that only for a while

I worked at Apcon full-time

Pros

There are some very good and professional people there. Unfortunately 1/2 of them had already left before i did. To be honest there is very little good to say about APCON. I believe they used to have at one point a great competitive advantage and great products, but lack of management, structure, roadmap and innovation and clarity in direction and leadership is leading to a lot of issues.

Cons

The CEO has everyone on a tight leach. New ideas and initiatives are not welcome. Everyone fears for its job. It is a very oppressive environment to work in. The company is not growing as they are loosing as many people as they hire (most of them live by themselves or get fired)
    The company culture is non existent. If i had to describe it it would be one of fear and blame.

retirement

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Apcon full-time

Pros

Had several phone interviews (4 people) and then a face- to face interview in Portland, Interview went well which involved several people talking to asking questions about what you have done and a written test in C mostly low level programming.

Cons

I got a good feedback from HR after the phone interviews and I was asked to fly to Portland. I had to spend money out of my pocket for the trip and it was expensive. I didn't get any offer from the company and wasted my money in hard times. This is a small company and not sure if they have a good road map.