Aperio Technologies

Updated November 18, 2014
2.9

Aperio Technologies CEO David Schlotterbeck
David Schlotterbeck

I enjoyed my time at Aperio! Great hardworking people. Only drag was once they got bought by Danaher, things way changed

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits were good and I loved the relaxed atmosphere, fun company functions helped people blow off steam and relax.

Cons

Saw some pretty bad layoff moves that saddened me... and no, I'm not talking about my own layoff. There were attempts at keeping the "door open" communication policy going but...some stunts pulled made no one feel safe to talk openly about stuff.

The "Lazy A Ranch"

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is fair. The hardware technology is the industry leader. Some very bright engineers producing the scanning, imaging, and hardware technology.

Cons

The user interface and image cataloging software is weak and does not scale in large production environments. Customer complaints and bugs are largely ignored unless the customer has the ear of senior/executive management and raises enough of a stink. There has been no significant improvement in the management software in several years. There was a lot of talk about the "Voice of the customer" in recent months but it was just talk.
    Very little knowledge sharing between departments, inter-departmental communication is extremely poor. QA is non-existent.
    The CEO listed here on Glassdoor left the company after the company was purchased by Leica Biosystems in 2013. The business unit manager has made little impact on the pathology imaging business unit. Very little changed since the Leica Biosystems purchase of the company.

Park your career for a stay at the "Lazy A"

Clear out some of the old software developers and hire some younger developers that can bring the software into the 21st century.

Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High/competitive pay. Free gym. Learned new things.

Cons

Work with corporate culture that does not care about individuals. No constructive criticsm. They treat every single employee as expendeble with no appreciation and value. For example, you will be fired or laid off at the drop of the hat for arbitrary reasons and they spend an enormous amount of money training and re-training people they hire and fire. It is like a hobby for upper management and HR to give them something to do. Seriously. In addition, when they know they are going to lay you off they will squeeze all the work out of you and have security there to escort you out when just the day before you were a "highly valued" employee who needed to stay late. They literally laid off dozens of high quality people and had security to watch them out in the parking lot for no good reason. These are people that just closed big business deals for them, worked late, and were good people. Even someone with cancer that was in the middle of treatment. Very very humiliating and disrespectful to the people they did it to and bad for morale for those that were not laid off. In addition, the HR were laughing in the meeting in which they were laying people off. Gross dispay of human behavior. Sickening really. They also give HR nice, real offices and much more highly qualified people with doctorates, masters and Phds who do all of the substantive work at the company cubicles! Literally! I figured out that this is because they need HR to do their dirty work for them - and need to make them feel important. I have never in my life worked at a company that saw hiring and firing as one of their main duties to do on a daily basis. Very bizarre. I am not saying there never need to be lay offs or firing, I am saying that the way this company handles it is very telling as to how they see all employees - as completely expendable and unappreciated as workers and as human beings - even managers. I think that one will succeed at this company if they are a sociopath.

Stop seeing workers as expendable and stop seeing hiring and firing as your hobby.

Really enjoyed working here

I worked at Aperio Technologies (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Opportunity to work with small team of smart people.
    -Exciting field to be in.
    -Great location in Vista, CA.

Cons

-Just bought out.
    -Major changes on the way.
    -Hardware development seems to have stalled.
    -Some of the brightest minds are packing up and leaving.

Value your talent!

A career stopper

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great technology, great product, and an industry leader.

Cons

High turnover, high rate of lay offs, and exceptionally poor executive "C" suite management.

Treat people with respect.

Amazing summer internship experience

Current Employee - Repository Intern in Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Repository Intern in Vista, CA

I have been working at Aperio Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

So much I got to learn, great culture, inspiring values & the chance to "Speak up" whenever you feel appropriate

Cons

No downsides, only upsides working at Aperio. Great company to work at peacefully & happily

Homey family- like atmosphere with many social opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA

I have been working at Aperio Technologies

Pros

If you like to socialize with the people you work with this is a great place to feel like you're part of something. Also it's a comfortable casual atmosphere.

Cons

Not the place to separate work and personal life. Very small town feel community.