Apex Capital

Updated January 16, 2015
4.3

Apex Capital Founder David Baker
David Baker

A much needed fresh breath after leaving corporate America!!!

Current Employee - Account Services in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Account Services in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Apex Capital

Pros

I applied to with Apex after leaving a very large corporation where I dealt with high level executives and government mandates on a daily basis. I was ready to step down and away from the stressful life of Corporate America. Along came Apex which was highly recommended by a friend of mine. The interview process was easy, and did not take long at all. BUT… Apex is looking for a very specific person for each role, and they are not in the business of handing out jobs to just anyone. From the moment I walked in I felt like I belong here, and the vibe/energy I received from the employees and management during the interview process is what made me say yes. Taking the position meant a large pay cut for me, but I was optimistic this was the right move. I could not have been more right.
    Medical/Dental benefits go into effect very quickly and are affordable. I do not feel like my whole check is pulled for insurance premiums. There are also many daily office perks as well: LOTS OF COFFEE, soda, juice, fruit, snacks, occasional meals, and Apex is always hosting something to give back to the employees.
    When listening to David Baker speak about Apex you can hear the passion in his voice and see it on his face. David and Dean do so much to keep the culture alive, and ensure we are always doing the right thing. For someone who came from Corporate America it is difficult to believe a business owner would turn down an opportunity to make big $$ because it doesn’t feel right. But hey that is how we do things at Apex.
    I thought this was going to be a place to temporarily hang my hat while I reevaluated whether or not the money was worth the stress of a corporate job. Well, too late. I fell in love with Apex and the people of Apex before I ever received my first pay check.

Cons

What are the cons? Well, my con is a temporary one. The starting pay is pretty low and for some people this may be a deal breaker. After 6 month there is a performance review that is accompanied by a raise, and then at 1 year there is quarterly profit sharing. Little is said about what the potential 6 month raise maybe so it is flying blind for 6 months hoping that the raise will be enough to get you by until profit sharing. For someone who is new and has not received a profit sharing check it can be a little frustrating that everyone else is getting so excited about something you can’t have…yet. But once it is here it can make up for the first year of lower pay.

Advancement and career paths… In the time I have been here I am not sure what the advancement opportunities are in my department. There are always emails being sent out announcing who was promoted to what role from other departments, but I am not sure about my own department. Hand in hand with this is career paths; it would be nice to have discussions about career paths. Where am I in the grand scheme of Apex and where can I go. If I want to go here, how do I get there?

Culture-Focused and Explosive Company Growth

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company focuses on sharing success with its employees, pays well, offers excellent work-life balance, and has extremely low turnover. Apex prides itself on finding employees that fit and it shows in the tenure of their people. In general, Apex has trusted its employees to cook up a winning formula and its growth and market dominance have not come as a result of luck.

Cons

The organizational structure doesn't always lend itself to upward mobility and sometimes managers don't do the best job of getting people ready for promotion. It's up to the employee to stay motivated and push the envelope, which is just fine by me.

Make sure you evaluate the full effect of your growth and hiring decisions have on your current employees. Hiring a bunch of motivated and hungry ladder-climbers is a great strategy, but offers some perils when they feel that opportunities for growth aren't fairly presented. Always bear in mind the fact that things do not go unnoticed across the company and can have greater impact than you might think.

The best & last place I will ever work!

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The efforts that Apex goes to in order to maintain a positive culture is astounding. I have never worked anywhere that cares so much about its employees (& it's customers for that matter). The positive attitude & approach starts at the top with the owners (David & Dean) and carries through the entire company. There are numerous programs in place that focus on creating & maintaining a healthy & happy environment for all of us here at Apex. Everything from wellness programs, continuing education, professional growth programs, education reimbursement programs, not to mention a generous profit sharing program that makes all of us feel like owners in this company. I have worked at a lot of companies in my career, some good & some bad. I will work here for as long as they'll let me keep doing my job. I feel like part of a family unlike any company ever. In fact, Apex does such a good job of creating a high morale & strong sense of ownership amongst it's employees that someone should do a case study on how it's done for other companies to mimic.

Cons

Truthfully there aren't any that come to mind. In order to be completely fair & balanced I will provide information on the only negative aspects I can think of about our current situation. We are based on 2 (soon to be 3 floors), which has created a little bit of a divide within the staff.

Keep doing what you're doing & don't let the culture of this company fade at all. Well done!

Apex Capital Corp is an excellent place to work -- the benefits are great and the owners are amazing.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Management cares about every employee
    -Employees are encouraged to think like owners
    -Generous profit sharing program
    -Health/wellness program
    -Excellent benefits package
    -Great group of IT employees

Cons

-Although willing to hear you out, upper management is hesitant to implement good ideas
    -The leaders of the company often disregard the advice of their IT professionals
    -As the company grows its employees can feel the big-company atmosphere creeping up on them
    -Salary is well below average for its IT employees
    -There is no clear career path for IT employees

Some departments need structure and management and some don't. Listen to the intelligent employees you hired to help you make decisions. When the majority of the company's bottom line depends on one department that department should not be treated like the rest.

A unique culture, a thriving business, and excellent benefits!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The generous profit sharing program is unlike one I've seen anywhere else, the owners of the company are here on a daily basis and mingle with the employees, we all enjoy coming to work, coworkers are amazing, the owners believe investing in technology makes us better and aren't afraid of being on the leading edge, we celebrate our achievements with fun events and parties throughout the year.

Cons

There is no remote work policy currently in place and in general is not allowed, we have to pick up the pieces from tasks dropped by our direct supervisor more often than we should.

Listen to the people who you trusted enough to hire--they have good ideas and when it seems that feedback isn't taken seriously, it hurts the morale of individuals and the teams.

Dec 19, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for posting, it sounds like you’re pretty happy with the environment and many of the people you work with.

Although we do have the ability for our employees to work remotely, we’ve made
    ... More

Apex Capital is a great place to come to work everyday!

Current Employee - Account Services Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Account Services Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The environment here is relaxed and positive and the supervisors don't micro-manage. Compensation is good for the job titles. Apex is constantly training their employees to make sure that they are knowledgeable of the business and industry.

Cons

The training process when you first start takes a few weeks only because there's a lot to learn but everyone is very willing to answer your questions and to make sure that you understand.

Oct 28, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for the review! We are continuously refining our training processes based on feedback we get from our trainees, so I hope you feel like that has paid off for you. Please let us know if you ... More

The sky truly is the limit at Apex

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apex is a great place to work, and does an excellent job offering continued education in the workplace through cross-training and other opportunities, while also offering a chance at self-improvement through the university systems if you would like to to earn a degree (did I mention excellent tuition reimbursement?). The phrase “the sky’s the limit” could not be more true for the many driven individuals than at Apex. If you find a job that you like, and want to stick with it forever, that’s awesome! If you decide you want to learn various job functions and responsibilities, there are plenty of opportunities to write your own future here.

Cons

The "high energy/lots of fun" work environment is not for everyone, which is why it is so hard to get in – they want to make sure you are happy here. There are still some people don’t let down their “wall of trust” to believe that Apex truly cares about them as a person and an employee, so that situation can be difficult to be around. There are reviews here referring to “favoritism and nepotism”, but I haven’t witnessed that myself – other than people who work with a passion and care for others tend to rise to the occasion. This place is the REAL DEAL!

Continue listening to your employees who are excited about driving Apex – they have a ton of great ideas to help grow our clients and business for the long haul – no pun intended!

Sep 29, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks! We will keep adding new career opportunities for people as our employees and clients continue to build bigger and better relationships.
    Apexers are provided with a multitude of fun and
    ... More

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Apex provides their employees with personal and professional growth opportunities. The culture is fantastic, the people are great, we have fun, but we get the job done. This is not a stuffy corporate culture. We believe in team work and collaboration. Everyone is very supportive of their peers and we all work together to maximize our organizations potential.

The environment promotes a healthy work/life balance. The parties/celebrations are awesome (my kids especially like Santa coming into the office every year & the picnic), Apex lives the motto "Work hard. Play hard."

Cons

This place isn't for everyone. Not all personalities can work in this environment. The hiring managers take that into account during the interview process. It's tough to get in, but once you do, you understand why hiring decisions are made like they are.

Keep going!

Sep 29, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate your vote of confidence in our culture and hiring practices. See you at Oktoberfest!

Amazing Company to Work For

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apex offers so much as an employer. Apex puts so much into training and developing its employees. There is tremendous opportunity for personal growth. Apex is also a very fun place to work, we always find ways to celebrate the hard work we do.

Cons

Sometimes there are too many distractions which keep you from getting work done.

Sep 5, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We like to encourage a happy AND productive workplace, so please let someone know when you encounter distractions and we will help manage them.

Apex spoils their employees!

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Apex is constantly investing in their employees. The management wants their employees to succeed and they put their money where their mouth is, by offering training and support to each employee. There are so many “extras” to working at Apex. There’s a wellness program where you can earn paid time off, fruit in the kitchen, free Coke and Odwalla and free access to a gym downstairs, which is super convenient! You definitely get spoiled working at Apex!

Cons

There is not a lot of upward mobility, but the company is rapidly growing so the positions just aren't available. Apex tries to provide training and other opportunities for employees to grow as an alternative. Culture is a huge part of Apex, so if you do not fit into the company, it is very difficult to keep your job. Employees are rarely let go because of job performance, so employees need to be collaborative and positive.

Keep rooting for your employees. The support you give allows employees to grow and be challenged. Continue to spoil your employees and they will be loyal to you and give you their best work.

Aug 27, 2014Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for noticing all the hard work we've put into our wellness program - we're constantly looking for new ways to help our employees practice whole wellness. We are excited to be growing ... More