Apex Facility Resources

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.8

Marlaine R McCauley

Fast Paced & Entrepreneurial!!!

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been here for almost two years and I’m constantly amazed at how fast my days go by. We definitely have the “work hard, play hard” mentality. I have never been continually challenged by a job like I am here at Apex. You can never completely know everything there is to know about our industry which keeps the days diverse, interesting and rarely dull! To be successful here you really need to be a self-starter. The management team for the most part is hands off and trusts you to do your job well and that you’ll ask questions if you need help. I personally work very well in that type of environment. It’s also very flexible here depending on the type of position you have (office or crew); we’re able to set our hours for the most part and within reason obviously and have the option to work remotely if you need heads down time.

Advancement - In the short time I've been here I have seen at least five people advance to other positions: the owner’s executive assistant moved into the HR role (her EA duties did include helping the owner but now that she is in HR I don’t know of that happening), our receptionist moved into a project coordinator role, a few guys have moved from the crew into the dispatch role and two of our project coordinators moved into a sales/account manager roles.

Recognition – this certainly has been a struggle here but I have to say in the last 6 months I have seen a huge improvement which is in line with when our COO came on board. The owners have admitted that recognition does not come naturally to them. I admire that they’re able to recognize their short comings and hire someone to help with that. I don’t really work with the owners that much so really recognition means a lot more coming from my coworkers. I don’t expect to be recognized for doing my job, I expect to be recognized for going the extra mile or 10 miles. I don’t think everyone has the same definition of recognition – some may want more money, some more paid time off and some fun company activities among many others. I’m sure as a business owner it would be very hard to please everyone. We were given Christmas Eve off as a paid holiday as a thank you from the owners on what a great year 2014 was and how much we all accomplished. The pay for performance program was launched in 2015 to standardize the yearly review and raise process. The employee survey response team was implemented and we’re starting to see the changes from that. I think we’re definitely on the right track.

Cons

It makes me sad to read the negative comments posted by my co-workers past and present. I try to put myself in the senior management team’s shoes and read these and there really isn't any constructive feedback or solutions. It’s a way for angry people to hide behind anonymity and wallow in self-pity rather than bring solutions to the table. I see a lot of comments about the owners not knowing how to run a business. I haven’t run a business – I have absolutely no idea how to run a business and I don’t know of any of my co-workers past or present that have run a business and I would challenge all of them to post their ideas here or take them to the COO and see if your ideas can be implemented. I mean seriously, how cool would that be!?! Like one of the other reviewers said “be part of the change”; if you want it to be different here that means we all have to work together. This responsibility does not rest solely on the shoulders of the management team. We all have to buy in and that is what encouraged me to post this. I am buying in and I will be part of the change. I encourage everyone else to do the same or maybe this isn't the right place for you and that's ok too.

Titanic

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources

Pros

Good Benefits, decent pay, a nice web page

Cons

Lack of direction, C.O.O talks to you as if you are a child. C.O. O. is arrogant and has a hard time listening to employees when providing feedback. Gets defensive. Owner has the HR department run personal errands like taking her dogs to thier appointments and picking up her kids. Management believes getting rid of "bad seeds" instead of coaching them through transition and setting realistic goals for them to achieve is a better solution than working with long time employees through the transition phase.

Also no room for advancement.

Stop wasting money , stop chasing your tail. Owners need to get on board with the New C.O.O he is trying to save your company. I may not personally like the guy but he is trying to help you turn your company around. Also C.O.O needs to take a few interpersonal communication classes.

As for the previous comment on the owner's daughter who works hard... That is not the issue or the problem with the company. Lack of appreciation for the employees is as well as lack of understanding how to run a business.

You're joking!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any - time off policy is good if you're part of the family

Cons

Owners, Management, Family - The nepotism is crazy - the whispering and back stabbing is high in a very small office. HR has no experience and seems to have a hard time getting things right. Operations can't get out of their own way. Ops manager doesn't even know when he loses a truck in his fleet. The list goes on and on.

If you're a move company and you have to hire a move consultant to move your own warehouse you may as well close the doors.

Terrible company with terrible morals

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources full-time

Pros

Small company. You have to wear a lot of hats and do a lot of things outside the scope of your job description.

Cons

Departments operate in silos. There is no collaboration. Upper management is a wreck. Nepotism runs rampant in this joint: There is no such thing as a meritocracy here. Employees will be promised raises and promotions, but be kept from them for years at a time. Employees are bullied and harassed to the point where external mediators have to step in.

Close down your business or sell it to someone who can run it properly.

Company is taking steps in the right direction

Current Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Great people to work with. Everyone is working toward common goals and are eager to help each other out. Very supportive environment.
    2) Opportunities for career advancement based on performance. Skills and accomplishments are recognized and rewarded.
    3) Emphasis on social activities and team building exercises. Helps build morale. Has made a positive impact on company and work environment. Wine Fridays/Beer o' Clock is a favorite!

Cons

1) Apex needs to be a more proactive environment. We offer many products and services to our clients. Our processes need to be improved to adjust with client needs and be more flexible with their timelines.
    2) We need a bigger onsite installation crew. We have many talented crew members, but we need more in order to serve our clients better.
    3) Changes: They're great, but constant amendments to processes and personnel disrupt day-to-day operations.

Improve communication among departments to deliver better service to clients. This will help alleviate pressure from last-minute project additions and client requests.

Excellent Company, working hard to create its identity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Apex is a company that
    - values its employees
    -has fun, while working hard
    -is a modern workspace that fosters open communication
    - listens to its employees, and willingly implements the changes requested (with-in reason)

Cons

Apex struggles with
    -its ever changing nature, which is part of the industry
    - Managment staying consistnent with its requests to employees
    - there are a few employees who are not happy at Apex, it shows in their attitudes, and impacts their peers

If you can't handle a love for constant change, Apex is not the right place for you!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Change, change, change!
    - Tons of room for opportunity.
    - Entrepreneurial focus. You'll do well thinking like an owner here.
    - Constant improvements in effect by management, though some don't turn out so well. At least they're trying!
    - My manager has been a wonderful inspiration, despite the difficult and extremely unreasonable client that we've served for many years. There have been opportunities for me to grow professionally and personally, and I can't say how much I appreciate the constant support in both areas.
    - Comp, benefits, 401k matching, profit sharing, etc. It's all here.
    - Hard work does not go unnoticed.
    - The people that those of us in the general population typically hate don't last - hence the negative reviews (I'm guessing these are the people that we all usually sit at our desks and wonder, "How long will they continue to make my life unpleasant?").
    - The family aspect of the business is at least interesting to watch. One of them is leaving soon, on good terms. Realistically though, I've seen "The Family / Nepotism" card played much too often here, and they work their boots off to prove that they've earned their roles.

Cons

- YES! The trains are totally annoying... For all of 10 minutes a day.
    - It can be difficult to get a raise unless jumping up, up, up in roles and responsibilities - You really do have to earn it.
    - This isn't so much of a "Con" as just a wish - I'd like to work at 80% capacity for a couple weeks. We really do run at full speed almost full time. I guess that's what our PTO is for!

- Continue doing what you're doing, folks. The improvements in communication, transparency, growth opportunities, and everything else you're doing are helping make Apex a better company for an employee to be at, every day.
    - Don't be afraid to release someone a little sooner if you see opportunities for them outside of the business; Perhaps working at a local fast food restaurant. You'd make a lot of us pretty happy people.

- Lastly, try not to focus on the negative reviews here. I heard some chatter in the office recently about Glass Door, what was being said here, and just want you all to know that I appreciate everything you do for the business, employees, and community!

Love / Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Operations in West Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet some good people and make some good relationships - for a while.
    You need a job with insurance
    You are looking for somebody to tear your ego apart
    You need to learn how to be cussed and screamed at in the middle of a crowd
    You have the yearning to learn what nepotism is all about and live it
    You have the need to find what it's like to see what the "shiny thing" theory is all about
    You want to find out how the heck a dysfunctional family can run a dysfunctional business

Cons

Working conditions cramped
    Bad location Utilities/Railraod tracks with constant train whistles
    No adequate parking No security
    Employees are second class citizens or royalty depending on the minute, day, hour, month
    Constant change in policy, proceses, inadequate software and people
    High turnover of good people treated poorly

Respect the people and they shall respect you. Work on the nepotism, it is very aparent. Realize and live who you are and not what you want to be seen as

"The New Shiny Thing" when you dull you are out!!!

I have been working at Apex Facility Resources full-time

Pros

It's a job for a minute
    The staff that have been able to tolerate the nonsense are amazing folks!!!

Cons

Clique, Clique, Clique family is all that matters.
    They say on their website that the employees are their biggest asset, but trust outside consultants rather than their own employees or their own judgement.
    Once they find a new shiny thing to occupy their attention, you are out.
    It is a revolving door because people cannot tolerate working there.
    The source of drama comes from members of the executive team and flows through the company like a disease.

Talk to your employees, figure out what is really going on inside your company and fix it.

Fantastic at first then quickly you see behind the facade

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Apex Facility Resources

Pros

Working in what I went to school for.
    Ok pay.
    Benefits paid at 100% (at first)
    Worked with a lot of great people.

Cons

High turn over.
    Very high level of nepotism - No loyalty to employees unless they're a family member.
    There is a lot of favoritism going on outside of the family circle but even those people hit the chopping block after 2-3 years.
    Senior management will yell at you in the middle of the office in front of everyone without hesitation.
    You're not given feedback on what you're doing well or what needs improvement.

Stop the nepotism, stop the favorites, stop the humiliating yelling at employees and start running a business.