Apex Tool Group

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014
2.8

Steven L. Breitzka

Fast Paced Environment, but if you've got the skills, you can go very far, and recruiters bang down your door

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Springdale, AR

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent foundation in Toyota Production System. High caliber coworkers. You will learn a lot, and it's very transferable to other companies.

Cons

Very stressful. You can't turn it off - Managers are required to know everything happening in their department, 24-7. That's not a bad thing, but it can wear on you after a while

A bit more transparency would be appreciated. Too much secrecy in the upper ranks; more than needed to accomplish the task.

CNC Maintenance and Electro-mechanical machinery maintenance

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician  in  Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Garland, TX

I have been working at Apex Tool Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good Place to get Experience

Cons

shut down and move to Sumter SC.

Too bad customers do not by reports and graphs!

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Statesboro, GA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Statesboro, GA

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong brands, wide selection of products. Products that were acquired that have high market shares.

Cons

ATG stubbornly clings to a “Danaher” culture that does not value the contributions of the average worker. Their methods produce short term improvements that cannot be sustained due a single minded focus on cost cutting and "taking it out" of the employees by demanding unrealistic results. The “talent” they bring in is green, and just executes what they are told. Quality is constantly at risk from eliminating the features that make the difference between quality and junk. (eliminate over processing??) Top management has no respect for those that make their exorbitant bonuses and the underling are mostly motivated by greed and fear. They use "lean" as an excuse to overwork everyone.

I will not waste my breath- they will not listen to anyone who will not drink the "cool aid".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of Leadership

Former Employee - Sales Management
    Former Employee - Sales Management

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good products, great sales team, operations trying to do the right thing, people want to work hard and win.

Cons

Ridiculous targets, too much time spent reporting the news, very internally focused, false sense of ungency.

Read the book by John P. Kotter, "A Sense of Urgency". Never has there been a company with such a false sense of urgency. The people work hard but often achieve nothing because all of their time is spent justifying why they didn't hit unrealistic targets. Dump DBS and focus on realistic goals and celebrate success instead of constant beat down that exisist today.

Look at management and realize that there has been significant turnover except at highest levels. Maybe lack of success is not due to people that have left but the a result of lack of leadership and vision.

This can be a great company because it has great people that care about their job and want to succeed.

Great place for all adventurers!

Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Manager  in  Sparks, MD
    Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Manager in Sparks, MD

I have been working at Apex Tool Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture here allows one to be innovative, bring new ideas to the table and share in the excitement of the growth and expansion of a dynamic company.

Cons

As a new employee I see many more Pro's than Cons. What one might feel is a con....need to improve processes....is really a pro. The organization is open to fresh ideas and staying ahead of the changes.

Keep up the energy and enthusiasm for growth, change and success!

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None - and I'm being honest!

Cons

The company, particularly in the Dallas plant, never seem to meet production goals, are almost always late on delivery targets, causing employees to have to scramble at the last minute to rush parts out the door. No robust systems and processes in place to help rectify the issues. The last straw for me was when they wanted me (a support employee working in the office) to work on a machine, after I had put my notice in that I was leaving the company. I was definitely not comfortable with that as I was never trained to work on the floor and I felt that my safety was being compromised. I felt strongly that they wanted me to do that because I was leaving and didn't care one way or the other if anything happened to me. I was loyal for 3+ years and that is how I had to end my employment. Upper management doesn't care - HR is a joke and wants to point the fingers at the lower level rather than looking at the bigger picture - that employees were working 70+ hours/week with no let up to enjoy even a little bit of life, and constant berating by upper management. Who wants to work in an environment where you're getting yelled at all the time, even when you do a good job? The turnover is horrendous, especially in the Dallas plant, and this was a big cause of it.

None because it won't matter - upper management doesn't care.

A solid company to work for

I worked at Apex Tool Group

Pros

good 401k matching and excellent opportunities for employment

Cons

often has issues with the fleet department they outsourced to when i needed vehicle repairs and maintenance

Can't make a quality product with welders who cannot weld

Current Employee - Value Stream Supervisor  in  Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Value Stream Supervisor in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Apex Tool Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money
    Benefits
    Semi-Freedom to change whatever you want

Cons

Welders can't weld.
    New employees brought in aren't trained and you are expected to make them welding gods in a few hours.
    Unrealistic expectations

Get your act together. We use to work weekends now we can't. Expected to still be accountable for everyone when not in the building for 2 days. GL with that.

Good pay, but you'll earn it.

Former Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Garland, TX

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent Kaizen training and application. Also lean manufacturing.

Cons

Lots of management turnover at all levels.

No play, all work. Put time into employee retention programs and efforts.

Foundering Management, No Direction and Loss of Market Share. Big potential but no ability to execute

I have been working at Apex Tool Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some great individuals, global company, good manufacturing experience. Strong products but lacking the ability to get them out the door.

Cons

Horrible Leadership, useless ABS system, endless Kaizens with no real results. Terrible operations leadership leading to high inventory and loss of market share

Take care of your existing talent, make real investments in people, technology and tools to drive innovation, ditch the flawed religion of ABS.

Worked for Apex Tool Group? Contribute to the Community!