Apex Tool Group

2.9

Steven L. Breitzka

Overall good experience

I have been working at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Fast paced environment and the pay is good. The people within the company really seem to care.

Cons

The management is very disorganized and management methods used is very outdated.

Creative, challenging and fast paced environment offering growth and development opportunities.

I have been working at Apex Tool Group

Pros

The company adopts a structured data based approach to evaluate personal performance, monitor business performance and make decisions. This is refreshing as too often in my career I've seen many mistakes made by jumping to conclusions instead of letting the data lead the team to the next step. if you are a motivated individual driven by achieving results, this is a great place to work. Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

There are not too many cons to speak of. Any companies business approach and culture has it's challenges and Apex is no exception.

Questionable hiring practices, discrimination and EEO compliance

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager

I worked at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Initially, ATG appeared to be a company that embraced entrepreneurial spirit and employee participation. This is interpreted as, do what I say, when I say and how I say, and you can do what you want!

Cons

The company is working in a time capsule. Old school and narcissistic leadership, which is interesting because few leaders are over 50 years old and if you are older, you will not last long, or be harassed. Management will do what it takes to present a progressive company to the Private Equity owners, Bain Capital. Those who don't go along "with the plan" are terminated. Poor decision making by leadership and HR functions without regard to EEO, AAP and other HR guidelines & practices. Highly discriminative with hiring when it comes to age, color and gender.
    Expect to work unreasonable hours and carry a high level of stress 24/7.

Bain Capital needs to get a grasp on the company. The HR leadership is ruining the companies image, poor decision making on their behalf and lack of employee support. Look into the hiring and firing practices, review turnover of new hires in the past 18 month. You are being deceived with smoke and mirrors. Age and health discrimination is an issue on a GLOBAL basis. Senior Leadership needs to get to the core of turnover, and harassment issues before the class action suit.

Bad management

I worked at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Good people on the floor

Cons

Too many hours. Management don't care

Open your eyes listen to the people who have been here a while

Fast Paced Environment, but if you've got the skills, you can go very far, and recruiters bang down your door

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Springdale, AR

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent foundation in Toyota Production System. High caliber coworkers. You will learn a lot, and it's very transferable to other companies.

Cons

Very stressful. You can't turn it off - Managers are required to know everything happening in their department, 24-7. That's not a bad thing, but it can wear on you after a while

A bit more transparency would be appreciated. Too much secrecy in the upper ranks; more than needed to accomplish the task.

CNC Maintenance and Electro-mechanical machinery maintenance

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Garland, TX

I have been working at Apex Tool Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Place to get Experience

Cons

shut down and move to Sumter SC.

Too bad customers do not by reports and graphs!

Former Employee - Supervisor in Statesboro, GA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Statesboro, GA

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong brands, wide selection of products. Products that were acquired that have high market shares.

Cons

ATG stubbornly clings to a “Danaher” culture that does not value the contributions of the average worker. Their methods produce short term improvements that cannot be sustained due a single minded focus on cost cutting and "taking it out" of the employees by demanding unrealistic results. The “talent” they bring in is green, and just executes what they are told. Quality is constantly at risk from eliminating the features that make the difference between quality and junk. (eliminate over processing??) Top management has no respect for those that make their exorbitant bonuses and the underling are mostly motivated by greed and fear. They use "lean" as an excuse to overwork everyone.

I will not waste my breath- they will not listen to anyone who will not drink the "cool aid".

Lack of Leadership

Former Employee - Sales Management
    Former Employee - Sales Management

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good products, great sales team, operations trying to do the right thing, people want to work hard and win.

Cons

Ridiculous targets, too much time spent reporting the news, very internally focused, false sense of ungency.

Read the book by John P. Kotter, "A Sense of Urgency". Never has there been a company with such a false sense of urgency. The people work hard but often achieve nothing because all of their time is spent justifying why they didn't hit unrealistic targets. Dump DBS and focus on realistic goals and celebrate success instead of constant beat down that exisist today.

Look at management and realize that there has been significant turnover except at highest levels. Maybe lack of success is not due to people that have left but the a result of lack of leadership and vision.

This can be a great company because it has great people that care about their job and want to succeed.

Great place for all adventurers!

Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Manager in Sparks, MD
    Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Manager in Sparks, MD

I have been working at Apex Tool Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture here allows one to be innovative, bring new ideas to the table and share in the excitement of the growth and expansion of a dynamic company.

Cons

As a new employee I see many more Pro's than Cons. What one might feel is a con....need to improve processes....is really a pro. The organization is open to fresh ideas and staying ahead of the changes.

Keep up the energy and enthusiasm for growth, change and success!

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None - and I'm being honest!

Cons

The company, particularly in the Dallas plant, never seem to meet production goals, are almost always late on delivery targets, causing employees to have to scramble at the last minute to rush parts out the door. No robust systems and processes in place to help rectify the issues. The last straw for me was when they wanted me (a support employee working in the office) to work on a machine, after I had put my notice in that I was leaving the company. I was definitely not comfortable with that as I was never trained to work on the floor and I felt that my safety was being compromised. I felt strongly that they wanted me to do that because I was leaving and didn't care one way or the other if anything happened to me. I was loyal for 3+ years and that is how I had to end my employment. Upper management doesn't care - HR is a joke and wants to point the fingers at the lower level rather than looking at the bigger picture - that employees were working 70+ hours/week with no let up to enjoy even a little bit of life, and constant berating by upper management. Who wants to work in an environment where you're getting yelled at all the time, even when you do a good job? The turnover is horrendous, especially in the Dallas plant, and this was a big cause of it.

None because it won't matter - upper management doesn't care.