Apex Tool Group Reviews

2.6
Thomas Wroe, Jr.

1. Great Company

I have been working at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Great place to work at

Cons

There is nothing negative to say

2. Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC

I worked at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Had one good boss that implemented Scrum, but he was run off my upper management.

Cons

Hired incompetent people to run the Software and Electrical Department from a far. There are 2 managers for every engineer. Made no commitment to developing future technologies.

Thomas Wroe, Jr. was appointed the CEO in August of last year(2014). They are going through some serious pains and have had raise delays. My opinion is that Apex benefited from the GM bailout in the 2010-2012 time frame and that messed with the numbers enough to give Bain a false sense of how stable the company truly is.

Advice to Management

Gut all the managers, hire a fresh group of engineers and turn them lose in a startup-like environment. The company culture is old, dying and hiring all of the dropouts from your greatest competitor(Atlas-Copco ) hasn't really worked out.

Worst job of my life

I worked at Apex Tool Group

Pros

There weren't any pros to working here.

Cons

The benefits were horrible. Even worse were the underhanded, discriminatory actions that take place in their hiring and firing. There are no women or people of color in higher positions. It's a good ole boys club here and it's all about who you know. They do not have uniform policies and are very disorganized. I hate I wasted my time working for them.

Advice to Management

Bain Capital needs to take a hard look at HR practices. Also, reviews turnover and find out why people left. You would be upset about your findings. Heed the warning or expect a law suit in the near future.

5. Loved it when it was Danaher.

I have been working at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Front line support is best there is.

Cons

Management won't listen to front line support.

Advice to Management

Listen to front line support.

6. Volume of Hand Tool Division moving overseas

I worked at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Fast paced, change oriented, metric focused, good leadership

Cons

Moving volume overseas, not committed to growing the business

7. Overall good experience

I have been working at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Fast paced environment and the pay is good. The people within the company really seem to care.

Cons

The management is very disorganized and management methods used is very outdated.

8. Creative, challenging and fast paced environment offering growth and development opportunities.

I have been working at Apex Tool Group

Pros

The company adopts a structured data based approach to evaluate personal performance, monitor business performance and make decisions. This is refreshing as too often in my career I've seen many mistakes made by jumping to conclusions instead of letting the data lead the team to the next step. if you are a motivated individual driven by achieving results, this is a great place to work. Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

There are not too many cons to speak of. Any companies business approach and culture has it's challenges and Apex is no exception.

Questionable hiring practices, discrimination and EEO compliance

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager

I worked at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Initially, ATG appeared to be a company that embraced entrepreneurial spirit and employee participation. This is interpreted as, do what I say, when I say and how I say, and you can do what you want!

Cons

The company is working in a time capsule. Old school and narcissistic leadership, which is interesting because few leaders are over 50 years old and if you are older, you will not last long, or be harassed. Management will do what it takes to present a progressive company to the Private Equity owners, Bain Capital. Those who don't go along "with the plan" are terminated. Poor decision making by leadership and HR functions without regard to EEO, AAP and other HR guidelines & practices. Highly discriminative with hiring when it comes to age, color and gender.
    Expect to work unreasonable hours and carry a high level of stress 24/7.

Advice to Management

Bain Capital needs to get a grasp on the company. The HR leadership is ruining the companies image, poor decision making on their behalf and lack of employee support. Look into the hiring and firing practices, review turnover of new hires in the past 18 month. You are being deceived with smoke and mirrors. Age and health discrimination is an issue on a GLOBAL basis. Senior Leadership needs to get to the core of turnover, and harassment issues before the class action suit.

Bad management

I worked at Apex Tool Group

Pros

Good people on the floor

Cons

Too many hours. Management don't care

Advice to Management

Open your eyes listen to the people who have been here a while

Fast Paced Environment, but if you've got the skills, you can go very far, and recruiters bang down your door

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Springdale, AR

I worked at Apex Tool Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent foundation in Toyota Production System. High caliber coworkers. You will learn a lot, and it's very transferable to other companies.

Cons

Very stressful. You can't turn it off - Managers are required to know everything happening in their department, 24-7. That's not a bad thing, but it can wear on you after a while

Advice to Management

A bit more transparency would be appreciated. Too much secrecy in the upper ranks; more than needed to accomplish the task.