Apigee Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.7

Apigee CEO Chet Kapoor
Chet Kapoor

Geeks would love it here!

Current Employee - Engineering  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Apigee full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You will get to work with some of the smartest people in the world.
    - Being a market leader, the Engineering team is always coming up with the most innovative solutions to solve problems for businesses. You get to be a part of it.
    - Hardly any hierarchy. You can walk up to the CEO anytime to talk about new ideas or if you are not happy with something.
    - Great food, fun team events

Cons

- Sometimes not having an org structure can make you wonder, who is doing what, especially if you are new.
    - If you are not A or A+, it is difficult for you to survive at Apigee. This doesn't mean working too many late hours or weekends, you need to be self motivated and should have the willingness to do whatever it takes.

Keep up the great work, you are awesome leaders.

Great company, great people.

I have been working at Apigee

Pros

Surround yourself with funny, smart people who are passionate about their work!
    Great perks and benefits (daily catered lunch, massages, on-site yoga, meditation, healthy snacks, flexible time off - no accrual)
    The CEO is mindful of maintaining a small company culture where everyone has a place at the table.
    it's a workplace with multiple teams and varying work cultures. One engineer's experience is going to be vastly different than a marketing team or sales team member. (This is not a bad thing!)

Cons

In the past there has been confusion on performance goals, reporting structure, project ownership but HR seems to be focusing on these areas now and implementing new tools for improvement.

Continue open communication with employees, it's one of the Company's greatest strengths. I trust in the leadership and I'm looking forward to moving the Company to the next level.

The Company I Want To Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Apigee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In the spirit of full disclosure – I joined Apigee, then Sonoa Systems, in the early days when we were a pre-revenue startup. I feel a strong sense of ownership and commitment. I view this as "my" company.

Of course, I wouldn't feel that way if we weren't doing some good things here.

Over the years I have worked for many high-tech companies. All said they were committed to customers. Two of them truly meant it, as measured by their actions and how they reinforce their commitment day in and day out. Apigee is one of the two.

Similarly, every company I have worked for said they wanted to make their companies good places to work. At Apigee we mean what we say about this too. It's not always easy to do as we grow and endure the inevitable growing pains associated with that growth, but I have no doubt about the sincere commitment to building the kind of company that the best want to work for.

The kind of people we are looking for are those that take initiative to serve customers. They're the kind that don't wait for top-level leaders to build a company they like working for. They know what we're trying to do and take initiative to build it. The organization is flat and roles are flexible. You can't hang around waiting for being told precisely what to do.

It's different from a lot of places I have worked, and perhaps not for everybody. Lots of people love it here. I'm one.

Cons

We're growing. We've had to learn how to bring on more people faster and get them up to speed faster. Our customer list is also growing and our customers have grown much more demanding as APIs and data have become more central to their business success. We're delivering mission critical stuff. So the pressure is on, and there have been growing pains.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good choice

I worked at Apigee

Pros

Work from home, great work environment if you live in San Jose (which is where most of the employees are). Interesting technology. Benefits are ok - especially if you are based in San Jose.

Cons

High growth + low revenue = high turnover. Lot of promises of "we are one", "no managers", "all family" - don't believe it for a second. As a startup, they are under high pressure to increase revenue, and management is ruthless and arrogant. Hearts and flowers at interview and startup, but blood and daggers a few months later.

Product manager

I have been working at Apigee full-time

Pros

Good package , customers , growth

Cons

Too many fires , lack of focus

Amazing people, amazing product, dirth of real leadership...

I have been working at Apigee full-time

Pros

Fast-paced, game changing solution for customers, incredible thought leadership

Cons

Lack of motivational leadership and a collaborative approach, many egos may hold the company back. Apigee has an amazing opportunity to hold on to its execution-focused mission statement but lack of valuation of great people will lead to attrition and loss of positive culture.

Place value on people by effective leadership and success enablement. The commoditization and de-motivation of a sales force has limited many potentially wildly successful companies. Don't be one of them.

Amazing

I have been working at Apigee

Pros

The people, the atmosphere, the company

Cons

It is high-pressure and has long on-ramping

Good space, poor leadership & septic culture

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Apigee full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salaries, good benefits, interesting space

Cons

Very political, there is not a secure culture that promotes different ideas or discussion....the Apigee Way is actually brute force & thinking different for the sake of it. Almost 0 emphasis on people development.

The board should bring in new leadership to rebuild the culture. The marketing and engineering teams are particularly weak. I would not recommend Apigee.

Smart people, great opportunity, fluid structure...

Current Employee - Solutions Architect  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Apigee full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, good opportunity to define own impact. Drive success. Self confident, self starters only. This is a place to DO.

Come to Apigee to define the future of APIs and the next wave of technical innovation. Stay to do it!

Cons

Self confident, self starters only. If you are looking for structure and a plan, look elsewhere. Don't expect a well thought out and coordinated strategy, look around, infer the roadmap and execute!

All hierarchy isn't bad. All flat orbs aren't good. Be careful not to vilify traditional organizations.

Excellent startup culture with great benefits

I have been working at Apigee full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid-back company culture with fantastic medical benefits, catered lunches, weekly masseuse visits, and the ability to work with cutting-edge tools.

Cons

Egalitarian company culture means it's sometimes difficult to figure out where the buck stops. Also, if sales targets are not met, no bonuses at all are paid out.

Worked for Apigee? Contribute to the Community!