Apigee Reviews

Reset
3.9
Apigee CEO Chet Kapoor
Chet Kapoor

Pros
  • Perfect work/life balance, very employee friendly (in 6 reviews)

• Smart people around not so smart "leaders" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate with short tenures (in 3 reviews)

• Not much importance of talent in bangalore office (in 2 reviews)

Gone public, but in startup mode still

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Key player in a fast growing market. Gone public, but still in startup energy mode... relatively small teams work on fast moving projects, without too many hierarchical boundaries. Free lunches, fancy cappuccino, snacks, and massages.

Cons

Stock price could do better. Need more education for the troops on market pressures / competitive analysis. Free lunch - it can make you fatter than you need to be.

Advice to Management

Focus INTENSELY on the losses in the field.

The Culture is Amazing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Apigee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say the biggest asset about this place is that everyone cares. We care about our customers and the problems we're solving for them, we care about the work we produce, we care about the type of environment we are creating and we care about the people we work with everyday. This is the mentality almost everyone who walks through these doors has, and it really makes the place what it is.

Cons

Because of the type of culture and environment we have, it gets really difficult when people leave, and it can be discouraging at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture the employees, continue to communicate and be transparent like you have been; it will go a long way and the employees value it.

On the decline

Pros

Great place to learn about new technologies in SDN, Big Data, API's

Cons

Hidden veil of "we have no politics" But politics and fiefdoms are scattered throughout the company. A lot of top gamechangers have left to other companies. Company spends way too much on sales and marketing and gets very little out of it.

Engineering Lead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Apigee is one of the leaders in API management space as a result there is a constant push to raise the bar higher. This often means that Engineering has to come up with new ways to do things such as best practices to design API, coming up with technology stack that works equally well in cloud and in private data center. We often push limits of existing technology stack such as Cassandra, Zookeeper, node.js, Java and often contribute back to community. So if you want to be part of company that is helping define what digital business of future looks like and work in an environment where engineering innovation is encouraged, you will find yourself at home and at ease.

Cons

We move fast so sometimes work and life balance will get skewed towards work. But this does not happen all the time. :-)

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding people who help move the needle.

Different Experience!

I have been working at Apigee full-time

Pros

The culture is great here. First company I have worked for that actually allows for a work environment that is busy, driving, but also allows you not to be bombarded with so much stress. Everyone is super friendly, and you can tell that they are happy, and there is so much opportunity for growth. I have had a fantastic experience so far.

Cons

The only issue is you'll get a few people that talk to you like they are entitled, and people that cannot clean up after themselves, but you'll get that anywhere. No issues with the actual company though!

Mostly a marketing driven organization

I have been working at Apigee full-time

Pros

* San Jose downtown location; good commute option for South Bay residents. * Some good exposure to high throughput event processing. * Excellent place for those working in marketing. * No healthcare premiums (though also no 401K match)

Cons

* Doesn't pay well * Not grounds-up engineering driven; mostly a marketing machine (and an excellent one at that) * Poor resource management and hiring quality * A few very smart tech people, who are held hostage by one loud-mouth.

Advice to Management

Don't feel the urge to rally and motivate employees at every opportunity.

Buyer Beware! Do your own independent research

Former Employee - Engineering in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Jose, CA

I worked at Apigee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, good medical coverage.

Cons

Don't be swayed by the positive 5-star reviews here, they are suspect. Do your own research, talk to some current and former (there are plenty!) employees to get an objective picture.

Advice to Management

Honesty is the best policy!

Best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

* Very smart people * Relevant business * Customers love us * Culture is amazing * We rock every single day

Cons

* Because we offer so much to our team members, there can be a little sense of entitlement but it's quickly corrected * We tend to move fast so if you don't keep up you might get lost * Too many lunch choices (ha! That's not really a con) :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - we are creating a great company together that everyone can be really proud of.

Interesting problems, Huge Impact, Awesome people!

Pros

It is a great place if you are looking to grow, have impact and take ownership. The culture is one where petty politics barely exist. Everyone believes they are ALL in it together. I love the coaching style, where you have context around what to do but you can figure out how to get there.

Cons

Like any other start up experiencing hyper growth, it comes with some challenges around chaos and pace of execution.

Advice to Management

I think the management is very mindful of what employees are thinking and does try to incorporate their suggestions into daily execution.

Nothing great. Better places in the valley.

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Apigee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good compensation. -Great benefits. Medical insurance is free ( very small copays this year on ). -Catered meals. -Flexible working hours -Some ( few ) smart people. -Good chance to learn some new tech and AWS.

Cons

-Very top-heavy. Too many managers/directors/VPs - There are about 15 people doing product management for such a small firm. Too many directors in Insights ( when the product barely makes 2 million in revenue ). This is not an engineering driven firm. -Tons of bureaucracy. The CTO is very smart but is not allowed to provide direction. Very few technical managers who have the chops. Most of the managers are there to monitor scrum meetings and mumble on customer calls. -Devops is fearful of deploying anything new in production. There are lots of meetings to discuss new frameworks but very little sees the light of day because devops vetoes most new stuff. -Lots of developer churn. This is why you keep seeing job postings on Linkedin. -Massive equity dilution. Expect a high reverse stock-split at the IPO. If you have not seen the S-1 filing, you should. Only managers and above stand to make even a few 100k. The rest of the rank and file will not see much.

Advice to Management

-Please set career expectations for engineers.

RSS Feed </> Embed