Apollo Education Group Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.7

Apollo Education Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli
Gregory W. Cappelli

Pros
  • work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits especially tuition but you can't do anything with the degree after (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of communication when informing impacted personnel of business strategy changes (in 5 reviews)

• Degrees from the University of Phoenix (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly and family oriented. Great pay and benefits - free tuition!!

Former Employee - Finance Advisor  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Finance Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Apollo Education Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great and you can attend University of Phoenix for free! The training is awesome and they really go the extra mile with making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful.

Cons

University of Phoenix is a for-profit school, so you are constantly trying secure student retention. They have mandatory "volunteer days" that you are paid for but are forced to go to. They also make you go on employee outings to movies, etc. to promote better camaraderie, whether you want to go or not.

Need more of a balance with disabled employees. Newer management needs to be better trained to empathize with employees' situations.

Great place to work, if you are not looking to work very hard.

I have been working at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Excellent benefits, great place to work, micro and macromangement

Cons

Common reorganizations, metrics are vague and often misunderstood (if understood at all) by low management, very few work horses carry full teams.

Great place to work a few years ago

I have been working at Apollo Education Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, nice coworkers, the mission of higher education for working adults is a good one

Cons

I agree with many of the other reviews that a few years ago, it was a great place to work. But then the outsourcing and layoffs started. I saw some smart, hard-working people being "let go", people with mortgages and families to support. Now it's an environment of self preservation and constantly being afraid of being the next to be laid off. Morale is low which tends to zap people's motivation.

In addition, another con is the university's bad reputation. With hard work and motivation, the quality of education is actually pretty good and it is NOT a diploma mill as some say. But, the perception and reputation is bad.

Job security would be nice and it would improve morale, which would in turn motivate people to do a great job.

Also, work on improving the university's reputation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

THE BEST company in Phoenix valley if you like Open Source stack like Java/J2EE and Cloud, Hadoop, MongoDB.

Current Employee - Staff Solutions Architect  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff Solutions Architect in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Education Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They let you choose the technology and tools and give you full freedom to implement your ideas
    Best work life balance
    Awesome salary

Cons

The leadership - couldnt manage student enrollment downfall
    Primary issue is because of high rate of leadership refresh at the top of the organization
    Every new leader has his own view and leaves the company prematurely without realizing the efforts, and the next one comes and starts afresh.

PLEASE trust your long-term employees and promote them as leaders instead of relying on some outsiders. We have seen several rounds of leadership from several other companies. They still couldnt control the student enrollment issue.
    There are still lot of great leaders who have been with the company for years. Identify and promote them.

Great 5 years ago...

Current Employee - Student Mentor  in  Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Apollo Education Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture in team is good. Good 401k, tuition assistance, vacation. For profit with a non profit mission. They really want to help students.

Cons

Used to be paid by performance but because of HLC now I get the same pay as the lazy guy next to me so no real incentive.

Figure a way to go back to incentivizing good work or your top performers will leave.

Company is ready for change, but is letting HLC regulation impact all business decisions

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Education Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Workforce Solutions is a high growth team with a lot of opportunities. Position works directly with senior and c-level executives of global accounts. Good culture and vision.

Cons

Too much process involved in developing a relationship. Corporate services are not designed to support B2B sales. Highly regulated business. The company has a lot of politics at middle and senior levels.

Reduce the jockeying for power and position and focus on the business. Stop letting regulators and corporate staff from allowing the company from changing business model. The company is allowed to sale its services without higher ed regulations

Senior IT was chaotic but overall good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Apollo Education Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was able to develop skills by defining my own work and taking on projects from others. Pay was decent. I enjoyed working with most of my colleagues, and under normal circumstances had a good work/life balance.

Cons

Poor managers tend to rise to the top too easily. Difficult to change the culture. Benefit grab by company stripped out lots of my stock when I left.

Keep the good people, and lose the ones who just look like they are working but really aren't

Best Training Support

Current Employee - Ground and On-line Faculty  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Ground and On-line Faculty in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Apollo Education Group part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The term student-centered is practiced not just talked about.

Cons

Pay could be more, but they do increase it each year and there are no expenses like travel and there is no travel time

Not bad!

Current Employee - Software QA Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Education Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The culture is good. Salary is OK for phoenix and HR is very good.

Cons

No accountability and some projects are following standards.

Moving in the right direction, tough industry

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Apollo Education Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture, nice balance, great mission, market-based compensation, improving processes and technolgoy

Cons

Stuck with a ground campus mindset; struggling to rebalance with technology ventures and more progressive thinking

Stay the course and accelerate!

Worked for Apollo Education Group? Contribute to the Community!