Apollo Education Group

www.apollo.edu

Apollo Education Group Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Apollo Education Group – US – “Corporate”

Apollo Education Group – US – “Corporate”

Apollo Education Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli

Gregory W. Cappelli

Pros
  • work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits especially tuition but you can't do anything with the degree after (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of communication when informing impacted personnel of business strategy changes (in 5 reviews)

• Degrees from the University of Phoenix (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not prepared for change

ProsPeople were nice, friendly family like atmosphere before the changes. Pay was decent for the area. The cafe was really great, congrats to Aramark for that!

ConsBusiness model is no longer effective. Everyone has an online school now, so no need to go to a third rate school with the cache of a community college, but a price of a brand name school.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsultants did a horrible job with the right-sizing and communications. Instead of ripping off the band-aid, they made it a long, lingering process where everyone was unsure and scared all the time. Random cuts with the message "it's not over" hardly fostered the environment for innovation that they will need to survive the long term. They needed a large, deep cut, and then let everyone left know they are safe so they get back to work and feel more secure. The way they did it let all the best talent know that they need to get out asap...

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

University of Phoenix

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWork at your own pace

ConsLow pay for adjunct professors

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise adjunct professor salary

Always in transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood salary, co-workers were pleasant, was able to work a flexible schedule at times.

ConsThere are constant changes in leadership with no true leader at the helm. The constant changes creates a atmosphere of fear and morale is low among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more open communication between upper-level management and staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company peaked years ago, now it's all downhill

Campus/Division Systems Technician (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible environment, not much micro-managing going on.

Great co-workers and IT management staff (until they were all let go or outsourced)

Was a fun and upbeat place to work until 2009-2010. Now it's all doom and gloom.

ConsThe last few years the company has been losing money and stick prices have plummeted. This has led to severe cost cutting measures.

Every IT role that isn't working on the student online platform is at risk of being outsourced.

Company does not value it's employees, considers them replaceable parts.

Business model is failing badly and the same people that got the company into this mess are still running the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe actions you have taken to outsource IT, centralize enrollment and abandon ground University of Phoenix campuses is ultimately going to be your downfall.

There may be no one left before it gets better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe varierty of work used to be great, new technologies.

ConsHell lot of internal polictics, doesn't matter how hard you work , you will go higher only if you are pet of management

Could be but isn't, the ship needs work

Analyst (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNice work environment, great colleagues pretty good benefits. Culture, at least in my department is good. Immeidate managers and directors are really nice people, but there are a lot of prima donnas around.

ConsLack of leadership at the top, constant talk of layoffs, disconnect between top management and what actually gets done. No vision for the future, it seems like they're just trying to manage the stock price and not the company. People who are good are leaving, causing quite a brain drain.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the money and leave, bring some new blood to revitalize this listing ship.

Focus, Focus, Focus ... there is none

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsDecent compensation package - salary, vacation, health benefits, 401k.

ConsLack of sustained focus. Too many changes in leadership that have occurred too quickly. This has lead to numerous changes in corporate direction, multiple re-orgs (just for the sake of re-orgs).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the outsourcing ... do you realize the knowledge you are losing? do you realize the control you are losing? do you realize the quality of work you are losing? See the "Cons" listed above.

Started out good, then things fell apart; they shut down our entire division and outsourced it to India.

Marketing Contractor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou can telecommute, given lots of autonomy, good pay for contractors. But no job security, and they seem to drive out their top talent and retain the worst people. No room for advancement, and they often keep people as "temps" for literally years and years.

ConsIncompetent management, toxic culture, rewarded only the nastiest people. Poor ethical standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be so money-grubbing and return to focus on education.

Good Company

Oracle Applications Developer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsClose to freeway, lots of work to do.

ConsPay was a little lower than average for industry, not growing anymore.

Need more advancement

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsBenefits and culture. Education free is nice.

ConsNo opportunity to advance from entry level, even with advanced education

Worked for Apollo Education Group? Contribute to the Community!