Apollo Education Group

www.apollo.edu

Apollo Education Group Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Apollo Education Group – US – “Corporate”

Apollo Education Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli

Gregory W. Cappelli

Pros
  • work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have(in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits especially tuition but you can't do anything with the degree after(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of communication when informing impacted personnel of business strategy changes(in 5 reviews)

• Degrees from the University of Phoenix(in 5 reviews)

University of Phoenix

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWork at your own pace

ConsLow pay for adjunct professors

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise adjunct professor salary

There may be no one left before it gets better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe varierty of work used to be great, new technologies.

ConsHell lot of internal polictics, doesn't matter how hard you work , you will go higher only if you are pet of management

Focus, Focus, Focus ... there is none

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsDecent compensation package - salary, vacation, health benefits, 401k.

ConsLack of sustained focus. Too many changes in leadership that have occurred too quickly. This has lead to numerous changes in corporate direction, multiple re-orgs (just for the sake of re-orgs).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the outsourcing ... do you realize the knowledge you are losing? do you realize the control you are losing? do you realize the quality of work you are losing? See the "Cons" listed above.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company peaked years ago, now it's all downhill

Campus/Division Systems Technician (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible environment, not much micro-managing going on.

Great co-workers and IT management staff (until they were all let go or outsourced)

Was a fun and upbeat place to work until 2009-2010. Now it's all doom and gloom.

ConsThe last few years the company has been losing money and stick prices have plummeted. This has led to severe cost cutting measures.

Every IT role that isn't working on the student online platform is at risk of being outsourced.

Company does not value it's employees, considers them replaceable parts.

Business model is failing badly and the same people that got the company into this mess are still running the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe actions you have taken to outsource IT, centralize enrollment and abandon ground University of Phoenix campuses is ultimately going to be your downfall.

Always in transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood salary, co-workers were pleasant, was able to work a flexible schedule at times.

ConsThere are constant changes in leadership with no true leader at the helm. The constant changes creates a atmosphere of fear and morale is low among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more open communication between upper-level management and staff.

Could be but isn't, the ship needs work

Analyst (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNice work environment, great colleagues pretty good benefits. Culture, at least in my department is good. Immeidate managers and directors are really nice people, but there are a lot of prima donnas around.

ConsLack of leadership at the top, constant talk of layoffs, disconnect between top management and what actually gets done. No vision for the future, it seems like they're just trying to manage the stock price and not the company. People who are good are leaving, causing quite a brain drain.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the money and leave, bring some new blood to revitalize this listing ship.

Started out good, then things fell apart; they shut down our entire division and outsourced it to India.

Marketing Contractor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou can telecommute, given lots of autonomy, good pay for contractors. But no job security, and they seem to drive out their top talent and retain the worst people. No room for advancement, and they often keep people as "temps" for literally years and years.

ConsIncompetent management, toxic culture, rewarded only the nastiest people. Poor ethical standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be so money-grubbing and return to focus on education.

Good Company

Oracle Applications Developer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsClose to freeway, lots of work to do.

ConsPay was a little lower than average for industry, not growing anymore.

Need more advancement

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsBenefits and culture. Education free is nice.

ConsNo opportunity to advance from entry level, even with advanced education

Belittling. Makes it worth making sure you get your education so you aren't stuck in a job like this your entire life.

School Certifying Official (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsHelping veterans receive their education.
    Decent pay for the level of education required.

ConsOpportunity to advance in veterans affairs department.
    Directors are biased and disrespectful
    You need to be somebody's friends on Facebook and go to their weekend barbeque to not be in the spot light of "so and so did something wrong"
    Very high school in the way things are addressed by management or directors
    Someone who sits down and does their work and doesn't socialize is reprimanded for being unapproachable yet someone who is talkative is unmotivated and unproductive.
    To avoid firing someone they make a situation more and more miserable until the person quits on their own instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe should not be Facebook friends. It takes the professional and business out of the situation and turns it personal.
    Start taking people seriously and paying attention to what someone has to say because believe it or not someone who had been doing this job for years (actually doing the job not management or directors) may actually have some insight into what can make a difference in a day or a new process.
    Sit down and process yourself for a week. If you can't meet the numbers or have an acceptable audit, then it's time for you to step down.
    Sometimes the squeaky wheel should be removed not attended to. Get over offending so and so because she's sensitive and lay it down straight. If she doesn't like it then she needs to thicken her skin.
    Tattle tales should not be rewarded when it is obvious they blow things out of proportion
    Positive feedback or at least constructive criticism is always ALWAYS better than tearing someone to bits and leaving them that way.
    Empower your employees don't trample on them

Worked for Apollo Education Group? Contribute to the Community!