Apollo Education Group

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

Apollo Education Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli
Gregory W. Cappelli

Pros
  • work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits, somewhat flexible schedule, plenty of vacation accumulation if you've been here as long as I have (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Recently, the company's flagship, the University of Phoenix, was put on Notice by the Higher Learning Commission (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is so adept to change that these changes seem to have no rhyme or reason (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

"Was" a GREAT experience!

Former Employee - National Accounts Advisor
    Former Employee - National Accounts Advisor

I worked at Apollo Education Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had great opportunities to advance my education (I received a MBA and a Certificate in Project Management). I also worked in a B2B field so I was able to get out and network with people in the business community. I really enjoyed the people I worked with too!

Cons

There have been several major internal reorganizations. For the last four or so years I have seen several RIFs. The University of Phoenix has been under almost constant fire from Washington who do not like "private" and "for profit" schools. Most recently, some of our top leaders were let go an so were many of us who worked for them. Those who have taken over have not yet articulated a clear plan of where things will be going.

Don't lose site of the primary purpose of the school - the student. Focusing on Professional Development will only give minor returns to the overall mission and purpose of the school. Cutting out WFS was a serious mistake. We established great relationships with companies all across the country and the results were great. I think the new managers have lost the vision what the school is all about. Your institutional knowledge is evaporating.

Too many reorg's

I have been working at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Great mission and was an amazing culture for a while.

Cons

Too many reorg's and can seem like a turmoil enviroment after all the layoffs

Focus

Unique company

I worked at Apollo Education Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, good company mission even though the federal government is suspicious, dedicated employees; collegiate atmosphere.

Cons

Strong head winds in industry may limit career prospects. There's a fair amount of politics at upper levels of company. Need to be profitable and still satisfy needs of students is challenging.

Stay the courese

Student Finance Counelor

Current Employee - Senior Finance Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Education Group (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work, lots of interaction with students, coworkers, and upper management, challenging problems and critical thinking a must.

Cons

Position's level of demand can be overwhelming if employee does not have strong time management skills, additional expectations include asking for recommendations for student enrollment (not part of the job description), currently using Salesforce/SRM which is very counterproductive to the position. opportunity to transfer out of position very difficult after 5 years because transfers are not lateral.

abandon Saleforce, the system is counterproductive to position and purpose of finance counselors.

business development

I worked at Apollo Education Group

Pros

flexibility, benefits, personal development opportunities

Cons

too many layoffs per year

include your employees in the strategic initiatives that contribute to the growth and stability of the company.

Changing too fast

Former Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Apollo Education Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Low expectations for individual job performance. The company is changing and thus, the employees who remain are not micromanaged or placed under a lot of work stress. They want to make a difference in education

Cons

The company want to change and it is leaving behind the best work from the past. They also cannot stop laying employees off. Every several weeks someone is being laid-off. This is a lack of leadership and an HR department that is not pushing back.

Stop the bleeding and the employee churn. Don't abandon a working team trying to build a new one. Laying off a team and rehiring some of them without the leadership in place is short sighted.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Apollo Education Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hard work is definitely rewarded. Leadership tries to understand capabilities of employees and there are opportunities to grow. Great benefits. Encourages collaboration of employees within the company. Good work life balance.

Cons

Politics with the company and different groups. Lay offs and reorganizations can bring down the morale of employees and the company can lose good employees.

Don't expect any continuity or security

Former Employee - Workforce Solutions
    Former Employee - Workforce Solutions

I worked at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Salary and overall compensation were adequate. Insurance was ok, but changed very regularly

Cons

personal growth was lacking in substance, middle management and frontline managers were not always great - the organization promoted individuals who did not perform.

Find the best of the best managers who not only manage the work - but develop your people. Find those leaders who are able to get the best out of their team - not those who manage their tasks

Senior Leadership unwilling to look at new ways of working

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Apollo Education Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid well
    Good work life balance

Cons

People not process dependent
    If you haven't been there a long time "you don't know anything"

Utilize BPM

Ea

I have been working at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Indoor environment, sales is pushed hard

Cons

Over expectations high pressure job.

Listen to employees. Get a grip on what a team should be

Apollo Education Group Photos