Apollo Education Group
www.apollo.edu Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

Apollo Education Group Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Apollo Education Group – US – “Corporate”

Apollo Education Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli

Gregory W. Cappelli

Pros:
  • "work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially tuition but you can't do anything with the degree after"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a lack of communication when informing impacted personnel of business strategy changes"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Degrees from the University of Phoenix"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Always in transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood salary, co-workers were pleasant, was able to work a flexible schedule at times.

ConsThere are constant changes in leadership with no true leader at the helm. The constant changes creates a atmosphere of fear and morale is low among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more open communication between upper-level management and staff.

Company peaked years ago, now it's all downhill

Campus/Division Systems Technician (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible environment, not much micro-managing going on.

Great co-workers and IT management staff (until they were all let go or outsourced)

Was a fun and upbeat place to work until 2009-2010. Now it's all doom and gloom.

ConsThe last few years the company has been losing money and stick prices have plummeted. This has led to severe cost cutting measures.

Every IT role that isn't working on the student online platform is at risk of being outsourced.

Company does not value it's employees, considers them replaceable parts.

Business model is failing badly and the same people that got the company into this mess are still running the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe actions you have taken to outsource IT, centralize enrollment and abandon ground University of Phoenix campuses is ultimately going to be your downfall.

Focus, Focus, Focus ... there is none

Phoenix, AZ

ProsDecent compensation package - salary, vacation, health benefits, 401k.

ConsLack of sustained focus. Too many changes in leadership that have occurred too quickly. This has lead to numerous changes in corporate direction, multiple re-orgs (just for the sake of re-orgs).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the outsourcing ... do you realize the knowledge you are losing? do you realize the control you are losing? do you realize the quality of work you are losing? See the "Cons" listed above.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There may be no one left before it gets better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe varierty of work used to be great, new technologies.

ConsHell lot of internal polictics, doesn't matter how hard you work , you will go higher only if you are pet of management

Could be but isn't, the ship needs work

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsNice work environment, great colleagues pretty good benefits. Culture, at least in my department is good. Immeidate managers and directors are really nice people, but there are a lot of prima donnas around.

ConsLack of leadership at the top, constant talk of layoffs, disconnect between top management and what actually gets done. No vision for the future, it seems like they're just trying to manage the stock price and not the company. People who are good are leaving, causing quite a brain drain.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the money and leave, bring some new blood to revitalize this listing ship.

Good Company

Oracle Applications Developer (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsClose to freeway, lots of work to do.

ConsPay was a little lower than average for industry, not growing anymore.

Great place to work, if they had their stuff together.

Campus Technologist (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosgreat people, staff always there to help each other.

Consconstant restructuring and the 'little' people lose their jobs, while the CEO sits making $26.5 million a year. They claim cutbacks, reduced spending, etc. Then remove the CEO's salary, or, put a cap on it, because employees do not deserve to lose their homes, vehicles repossessed, etc due to losing the jobs here, while the executives live basically free, and for what...because they can look pretty and make colorful PowerPoint slides??

Advice to Senior Managementlose the ego's, get realistic, and maybe you all need to suffer the same way your decisions make others.

Started out good, then things fell apart; they shut down our entire division and outsourced it to India.

Marketing Contractor (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou can telecommute, given lots of autonomy, good pay for contractors. But no job security, and they seem to drive out their top talent and retain the worst people. No room for advancement, and they often keep people as "temps" for literally years and years.

ConsIncompetent management, toxic culture, rewarded only the nastiest people. Poor ethical standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be so money-grubbing and return to focus on education.

Great at first, until you realize there is no growth.

ProsA good work/life balance is promoted and benefits are great. Lower management is communicative. Campus culture is strong and the company is very customer service oriented for the student.

ConsThe IT department is treated as expendable, although this is an attitude mainly shared by upper management. Top talent is leaving due to the lack of career progression. Office politics make it impossible to actually get a promotion.
    HR is the scapegoat for everything. You would almost think HR does absolutely nothing or just doesn't exist.
    Pays below market. Don't let them fool you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as valuable talent, not expendable assets.
    Promote career progression with action and not just words. Don't make people feel like they are stuck in their current position.

The current CIO is outsourcing IT jobs

Network Administrator II (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe good thing is that job pay is good at this company. There are chances for advancement, if you're in the right department. Vacation days also advance quickly.

ConsThe worst thing about this company is that the current CIO is outsourcing IT jobs to India! And the CIO did not bother to find out the full capability of each IT department before pushing them to outsource. This is clearly a decision made without regard to in-house customer desires. If your job is aligned with the education part of this company, I think you are alright. But if you are in the IT department, look out!

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that American jobs are more than just dollars on the bottom line. American jobs make our country strong and instill pride and honor in the communities in which we live. Don't sell out America!

Worked for Apollo Education Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apollo Education Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apollo Education Group CEO Gregory W. Cappelli. All 280 reviews posted anonymously by Apollo Education Group employees.