Apollo Education Group

www.apollo.edu

Apollo Education Group Reviews in Tempe, AZ

Updated Jun 20, 2014
Apollo Education Group – US – “Corporate”

Apollo Education Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli

Gregory W. Cappelli

Pros
  • work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have(in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits especially tuition but you can't do anything with the degree after(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of communication when informing impacted personnel of business strategy changes(in 5 reviews)

• Degrees from the University of Phoenix(in 5 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company

Oracle Applications Developer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsClose to freeway, lots of work to do.

ConsPay was a little lower than average for industry, not growing anymore.

Let's get to work!

Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsHelping students make a difference in their life.

ConsLeadership, commute, limited visibility, culture

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and allow them to do what they are hired to.

Disappointing

SQA II (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsSmall groups working together to do big things

ConsClueless management, too much instability, too much middle-management political infighting

Advice to Senior ManagementBack to basics. Start with flatter org.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a great place to work, until they started firing everybody...

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsFantastic learning environment, was supportive, great people to work with. I was really happy there for a very long time - until about the last 6 months.

ConsTerrible pay (probably $20k less than at other companies), not much room for advancement, and crazy hours. Once Mike Sajor came on as head of Apollo Tech, things fell spectacularly apart. He is clueless to SDLC - coming from apparel industry had no idea of how software development works. Then they fired a lot of great people. Morale took a major nosedive after that.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Sajor - get someone who knows how development works.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

In the short time I have been with the company I have nothing but Kudos for the experience.

Academic Counselor (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsYou are in a team atmosphere where everyone is helpful whether they are on your team or not.

ConsIt is so cold inside that you actually have to go outside to thaw out to resume work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan we go back to incentives such as money raises versus spending millions of dollars on things that we don't need or care for.

Great for entry-level, but too much attention-grabbing and posturing by low level management.

Student Financial Services - Operation (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsDecent pay, competitive benefits (particularly at entry and mid-level positions), tuition reimbursement.

ConsLack of communication between teams and between management and staff, limited room for growth within company, difficult to get in front door if not a prior employee. Strained relations between QA/Training/Processing staff make it difficult to ensure processes are followed across the board, and that all parties are on the same page. Production and quality assurance standards are also difficult to meet from month-to-month.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time harping on production and more time worrying about the quality of people's work and the compliance problems it causes when it's done incorrectly. Make sure the training staff is up to date and in the loop on process changes, so that they can train staff appropriately. Identify those individuals who require subject matter refreshers and ensure that they are getting them, and more importantly, if someone is consistently underpreforming, stop allowing those individuals to linger in a position where more qualified individuals may do far better in their place. Follow through with expectations, and ensure that staff are meeting them, but make sure they are given opportunities to learn from mistakes and improve upon them.

Also, to upper management, I highly suggest the following - start paying attention to the needs of your staff. A happy, well-trained, and eager workforce makes fewer mistakes, is more productive, and has a lot smaller turnover. It's far easier to retain an employee than to train a new one, and it's more productive to not have to train someone new to do their job.

Nice company to work with

Senior Interaction Designer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat multi-cultural work environment, supportive higher management, exposure to and use of latest technologes, very supportive colleagues and peers, good benefits for full time employees, overall many happy employees

ConsSeldom working with many teams becomes challenging to meet the deadlines

Enlightening

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsLots of opportunities to use many different technologies, This is really all I can think of right now. word number 20

ConsA lot of managers (project and other types) most of the PM's aren't technical. I can't remember how many I've explained to them that there's a ticket with the developers for a memory leak.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat. and listen to the engineers when they're telling what the situation is. word word word word word.

Worked for Apollo Education Group? Contribute to the Community!