Apollo Group
www.apollogrp.edu Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

Apollo Group Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Apollo Group – US – “Corporate”

Apollo Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli

Gregory W. Cappelli

Pros:
  • "work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially tuition but you can't do anything with the degree after"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a lack of communication when informing impacted personnel of business strategy changes"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Given centralized processes there is a lack of ability for creative input from middle management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good experience for an intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group as an intern

ProsAs an Intern they took really good care of us, exposing us to the data centers, their revolutionary classroom, and the different execs. Pay was really good for interns too which also included housing and travel stipends.

ConsBeing introduced at a point with a lot of restructuring which included adopting new practices, software, and layoffs. There was somewhat of a feel of disorientation and employees were expected to learn and do a lot more than expected in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementFilter out the employees who are coasting due to seniority and recruit bright, young, motivated talent.

Tuition was a good bonus

Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Apollo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTuition, co-workers, location, students, and nice facility

ConsSalary, work life balance, metrics

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Teach 1st level managers how to manager individual personalities.

Very Good company to work

Senior Director, Product Marketing (Current Employee)
Delhi, GA

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than a year

Prosi liked everything here from from to working life

Consless puncuality of some workers and staffs

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing ..Good Work

Rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTuition reimbursement, facilities, co-workers perks and location

ConsCorporate culture and lack of communication

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication and work on culture

It was a good experience

Lead Consultant (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Apollo Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsVery Focused and high productivity

ConsLack of socialization and management is not transparent to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRight resource to do the right job

IT is terrible, always in flux, never appreciated by top management. The current CIO is incompetent, so are executives.

IT Professional (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Apollo Group full-time for more than a year

ProsClose to freeway.
Good benefits
Free education if you want to earn a bachelor or masters degree in their curriculum--even PHD you pay only 20%. Your spouse can be hugely discounted also.
Covered parking (except spaces are too small and your car gets dinged up)
Great state of the art data center.

ConsHUGE turnover. Don't kid yourself on making a difference or being successful here ("Oh, I can do any job and work for anybody and be successful"--heard it a hundred times). You'll be collecting a paycheck--and maybe that is your sole purpose. Apollo revenue is down a third--you are the flotsam they clean up. Keep dumping and pumping their IT organization. Absolutely do not care about security. IT is frozen in place. Nothing is going to happen to save this company because the executives at the top dump IT periodically because they feel like it, so the remaining staff just want to save their jobs. The remaining security team --give me a break. Compliance? Interfacing with the auditors to IT? Let the auditors interface themselves. The Internal Audit Director has a horrible reputation--zero people skills and cannot keep staff--or attract them. Innovation? Huh! You have the wrong company. Stupid office cubes--tiny and so low walls you can look right into the eyes of your neighbor. The "Directors" get offices--they have real work to do. (not director level like at real companies). IT is micromanaged (yes, that darn CIO again). No, no innovation is happening here. Compliance culture and not in a good way.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally try to innovate. Your company problems start at the top--look at root cause and look at yourselves 1st.
IT has root rot in it, and this changing of the guards in your CIOs isn't fixing it.
You are just a big employer in Phoenix--and people need jobs--otherwise, you are not attracting the best, and surely are not keeping them.

Hard Work - Decent Pay - Very Political

Senior IT Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is decent to local standards including (sometimes) equity for director level and above. Medical benefits and paid time off are good.

ConsDisconnected leadership and too many leaders on the business side are stuck thinking education vertical is the same as a decade ago. VERY political environment, you will regularly run into incompetent people who hold positions of power and influence; you'll wonder "how in the world did this person ever get this position?"

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at the top and completely revamp the business processes and procedures

great

I have been working at Apollo Group

Prosindependent great pay less supervision

Consno work bad communication bad management

Challenging environment

I have been working at Apollo Group

ProsAlways busy with new projects and making improvements to processes and technologies. You get to use new technologies and tools. Great workers who are always ready to lend a hand. Working remotely is a nice option.

ConsKeeping up the work pace can be a challenge. Project schedules can be aggressive so it is still important to do it right so it doesn't have to be corrected later.

Growth but then stagnation

Senior Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group full-time

ProsGood people and decent pay

ConsPoor leadership and lots of red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to basics and remove the red tape

Worked for Apollo Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apollo Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apollo Group CEO Gregory W. Cappelli. All 244 reviews posted anonymously by Apollo Group employees.