Apollo Group
www.apollogrp.edu Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

Apollo Group Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014
Apollo Group – US – “Corporate”

Apollo Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli

Gregory W. Cappelli

Pros:
  • "work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially tuition but you can't do anything with the degree after"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a lack of communication when informing impacted personnel of business strategy changes"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Given centralized processes there is a lack of ability for creative input from middle management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No loyalty to employees

Desktop Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey offer a good vacation policy (up to 24 days/year)
Decent pay
Good history (although times are changing)
Good holiday policy (10 holidays, plus 1 floating holiday)

ConsEmployees are considered expendable.
They work hard to outsource as many departments as possible (HR, IT, etc).
Very few career advancement opportunities.
The last few years have seen multiple layoffs (thousands of employees).

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as humans, not assets.

decent pay, bad management, wasteful

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group full-time for more than 10 years

Prosbenefits used to be good but are gutted more and more every year. What was great health insurance 5 years ago is now a joke. deductions, copays, co-insurance, etc etc. You should see the deductions on my tax return. Same for education, What used to be completely free is also gutted. Pay was good when I left.
work/life balance was always good, kind of depends on which manager you have. Last year they also introduced profit sharing which worked out ok.

Consbad insurances, crappy reviews. bad managers. This company spent 30 million on an hr implementation, then 3 years later is outsourcing it. They spent millions moving people around between buildings (on different locations, 10 miles apart), only to have them end up on the exact same building (and floors !) a few years later. I kid you not.
Upper management is a buddy buddy club. Changes frequently. In 15 years I lost count of all the CEO's and CIO's who have come and gone; all with a golden parachute.
Too much red tape when developing software. A 30 minute fix takes a full day in documentation and procedures. Politics because someone doesn't "like" a product is terrible.
Good technical people are promoted to be managers who then have NO clue how to manage. Too many managers. I knew a lot of "managers" who didn't have anyone report to them ! ridiculous.
They have lost an enormous amount of enrolled students including the critical new enrollments. Cut in half in a couple years if not more.HEAVILY depending on federal aid which is being cut back (left leaning government which is anti private university)
In 15 years I've seen this place go from pretty great to sub-standard. Too bad. It could have been a lean machine with great people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop filling your pockets.

I am glad I am no longer working there!

IT Engineer I (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Apollo Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was able to work on an advanced degree.

ConsLow wages, and horrible managers. This is a multi-million dollar company that operates like a mom and pop shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees and respect your employees.

Does it get worse?

Technical Analyst (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent salary, benefits and people

Consmicromanagement, metrics, attendance policy, attitudes, environment, BOGUS PRODUCT

Advice to Senior Managementchange everything

TERRIBLE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group full-time

ProsI really don't have anything positive to say other that some of my former colleagues were very talented and good to work with but most of them are no longer employed with Apollo.

ConsTerrible company to work for. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men...

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than 10 years

Prosfree food; good 401k and insurance; flexible hours

ConsPis-poor management; horrible morale; constant threat of layoff; no clear direction; lack of good management; no room for advancement; no direction. The company cannot decide if it wants to be an IT company or and Education company. Which means, it is not going to either of them very well. I have been with this company over 10 years and it saddens me to see what was once a thriving company with passion, become this bottomless pit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen they had a marketing guy running IT, that should have been the sign. Listen to your staff. If people are leaving in your department, you may want to point the finger at yourself. Just like the song in Les Miserables, the sound of people leaving is loud and clear.

All about money for the top

IT Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone in the last couple of years. Was once a good place to work.

ConsThis place went from a great place to work to one that will never be able to get good workers again. This place could care less about its core reason for being, which is to educate, it's all about making money for the execs. Look into the facts of a senate report, Apollo spent $892 per student on instruction and $2,225 per student on marketing, while $2,535 per student." It speaks for itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CIO, you know he's gonna ruin the IT organization and retire. Or maybe get killed by one of his famed horses. It's all about the karma.

IT is Rudderless

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCan't think of a single pro that would recommend this company at this time.

ConsApollo IT hired some very talented people when they were ranked as a Best Place to Work several years ago but infighting, lack of strong leadership and it's future without Federal Student Loan funding has made it a caustic, toxic environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT and the board need to agree to make informed decisions and stick to them. Stop waffeling back and forth causing constant turmoil and costing the company hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Lacks strategy and leadership

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood vision, good people at lower levels, benefits

ConsExec leadership, lack of bench strength, poorly run and "clicky" HR, too many initiatives without well defined strategy. it's the worst leadership I've ever had in my 30 years in the workforce.

Advice to Senior Managementreplacy "c" suite, need new blood. define a strategy and stick with it

Project Manager

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree Education and co workers were good people

ConsNo leadership, and difficult place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementGet you act together Executives

Worked for Apollo Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apollo Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apollo Group CEO Gregory W. Cappelli. All 247 reviews posted anonymously by Apollo Group employees.