Apollo Group
www.apollogrp.edu Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

Apollo Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jan 18, 2014
Apollo Group – US – “Corporate”

Apollo Group Director, Chief Executive Officer Gregory W. Cappelli

Gregory W. Cappelli

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

From cutting edge innovation to cutting budgets to the bone.

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery smart people; desire for technological innovation; great benefits; flexible schedules and telecommute possibilities; an important mission and compelling corporate story.

ConsThey've been hit by regulatory pressure and significant market competition and need to stay nimble and make drastic changes to stay competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the company private again to focus on long-term strategy and move away from the tyranny of the quarterly shareholder earnings report.

Bloated executive team that doesn't manage well

Director, Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart people, decent pay, nice office location

ConsLack of strategy, too many executives

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of folks that aren't necessary. Manage the middle managers better.

Tough place to work

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than a year

ProsHave some really bright individual contributors who are trying to do the right things to open access to education.

ConsStrategy and leadership are ever changing which makes for a difficult environment when playing in an area of the economy that is undergoing such radical shifts. Accountability is an issue and management seems to be willing to make lots of bets but there doesn't appear to be a real drive for excellence. Hard to see this business returning to its glory years unless there are radical and immediate changes at the top and in strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose a strategy, select leaders who are capable of executing on that strategy, and hold leaders accountable. Too many dreams and not enough reality. Figure out your value prop, resource it with the best and brightest, and cut all the rest.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Salary and hours

Art Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe workload and schedules allow for a good work - life balance. The compensation and benefits are pretty good as well.

ConsCan be unorganized and less than most challenging work. Corporate brand restricts creative flow and new ideas.

Apollo Tech, Apollo Innovation: Welcome to a Wold Class Web Analytics Department

Web Analytics Intern (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apollo Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorking in the department of digital analytics and consumer insight I was privelaged to work with some of the best web analytics professionals in the world. My direct boss, provided plenty of direction and gave me tons of autonomy to get my work done and work on special scripting projects which I enjoyed. I also worked closely with the GA implementation manager, logical architecture consultants, the entire product analytics team, web marketing analysts, and developers. Working here has by far been the most rewarding yet challenging role I've ever been in.

ConsEnterprise-wide re-orgs, consistent lay-offs, and ultra-bureaucratic IT department. This is typical of many large enterprises and also related to the current state of the economy and nature of the changing online education business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to hire more interns, but also make the hiring process more challenging. As you

Three words: Toxic Work Environment

Marketing Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group

ProsGood benefits and reasonable pay, but this is not even enough to make it worthwhile working at this place.

ConsToo much politics, too many negative overworked employee and lack of leadership support leads to lots of backstabbing and disgruntled employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have regular check in meetings with lower level staff. Find out what they are feeling. You would be surprised to the feedback you receive. Also, corporate culture starts at the top so really look at the top and what their values are. As they say, it rolls down hill.

"Poor Planning" leads to "Poor Execution" leads to "Hey, I'm outta here!"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Apollo Group

Pros- very smart people
- great product development group
- great product innovations for the higher-education sector

ConsRun from the Marketing org; unfortunately, the wild, wild west still lives!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example and develop your people.

Marketing

I have been working at Apollo Group

ProsAbility to manage a large marketing budget.

Consterrible management and bad training, very negative environment

Advice to Senior Managementthe management should invest more into developing their employees.

Pull us out of antiquation and prepare us for the imense growth we are bound to undertake.

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apollo Group

ProsThe wide range of benefits, including comprehensive health coverage and tuition assistance, are great perks. If you show the drive and desire to perform, there are opportunities to advance your career in a multitude of fields. As an employee you are given an unmatched chance to excel both personally and professionally through education and even alter your career path.

ConsSome career paths may be more difficult to navigate vertically than others and may require you to rethink your career options.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your junior employees not as rivals, but as future visionaries for the growth and success of the company.

Worked for Apollo Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apollo Group reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apollo Group CEO Gregory W. Cappelli. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Apollo Group employees.