ApotheCom Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014
Updated May 14, 2014

3.7

David Dunn

It's great to be surrounded by smart, talented, dedicated people

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's nice to come to work and be around smart people who work collaboratively. They seem to value and trust their employees as there is no one micro-managing. It's accepted that you will come in and work hard to produce quality work. Innovation and creativity are supported and encouraged.

Cons

This is not the perfect place to work. There are challenges with regard to the speed in which some decisions are made. Sometimes decision-making can be unecessarily arduous and circuitous.

Communication could be streamlined as well as comprehensive. Too often there isn't enough detail in the communication that is delivered, whether positive or negative.

Interesting work, great people

I worked at ApotheCom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Highly educated, diverse, and motivated people; pretty good benefits (but see caveat below); intellectually stimulating work; workplace flexibility (offices on both coasts; some work-at-home opportunities)

Cons

As a mid-level agency, there is a fair amount of pressure to make the numbers work, so the tendency is to pile on work rather than bring on new people to support increasing workloads. Although support for continuing education is included in the benefits, there is really no time to take advantage of this, so it's a catch-22 situation. Not enough support for expanding an individual's capabilities. You're expected to fit into the peg you've been hired for.

Stay in tune with what's going on in the trenches.

Apothecom does not live its own core values

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time

Pros

The salaries and benefits are good. Many of the people here are talented and experienced and make up some strong teams.

Cons

It is difficult to trust senior management that says one thing and then does another. Unfortunately, that has happened alot lately. People feel that they are being sold a bill of goods by the leadership team. People don't get straight answers to questions, instead they get a sales pitch.

There has been a lot of turnover in the last 6-12 months, especially of some very senior people. Management does not appear to value the employees.

We don't seem to be winning a lot of new business.

Favoritism and nepotism are the norm.

Don't just state values, actually live them. This would really help improve moral and the culture overall.

May 13, 2014Representative

We all know that change is hard and we’ve definitely changed some things…a lot. Over the past three years, we have evolved from a single agency, ApotheCom, to a collection of best in class agencies ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seems like the request went out for positive reviews

I worked at ApotheCom

Pros

Some (but few) remaining loyalists

Cons

In the last 1.5 years, several highly experienced, tremendously talented, and tenured employees saw the writing on the wall and left ApotheCom voluntarily. In the last 6 months, more highly experienced, tremendously talented, and tenured employees who remained loyal to the company left ApotheCom but not voluntarily. One can only surmise it was to reduce costs. After all, not many big wins these days. Folks have been asking if there has been a change in ApotheCom's business model owing to the drastic changes taking place, namely the exodus of many long-term (10+-years) employees. If there is, logic is not obvious. In an industry where tenure is not common, why push away your most loyal and talented employees?

Agree with previous reviewer - no point in providing advice; it will fall on deaf ears.

May 10, 2014Representative

It's unfortunate to hear that a former colleague is not optimistic about our agency. While it is certainly fair for you to have your own opinion, our team definitely feels differently. To us, the ... More

Do not trust anyone at APOTHECOM

I worked at ApotheCom

Pros

Week off at Christmas; nice fountain out front. Seriously, that's about it for the pros.

Cons

Don't be fooled by smiles and happy talk. This place thinks nothing of tossing its employees under the proverbial bus. I saw many instances of hard working people suddenly without warning or cause be dismissed, laid off, down sized -- however you want to phrase it. No one cares about the quality of the work. It's all about how much, how fast. The place has fallen to a new low in terms of morale. Everyone is looking for their chance to get out.

Any advice to management would fall on deaf ears since no one cares about anything there anymore except making a profit.

A good place to get your feet wet in medical communications

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Easy commute
    -Good location
    -In-house digital studio and excellent digital staff
    -Knowledgeable scientific staff who share expertise on therapeutic areas and pharma industry
    -Experienced senior management who have years in the industry

Cons

NB: Things may have changed drastically since I left

-Public company ties and reporting
        -As of end of 2012:
            -Salary increase freezes
            -Hiring freezes
            -Freezes on use of freelance for workload overflow
            -No/low bonus structure tied to other business units that may not be performing well

-Last-minute evening/weekend hours/travel (standard for pharma, but the last-minute nature of it wears down morale)

May 13, 2014Representative

Thanks for your review. Just as an update, the freeze mentioned here from 2012 was put in place at a time of unfortunate circumstance (unexpected account closure due to client product failure ... More

Great people, great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Colleagues and senior leadership are intelligent, thoughtful, and hard-working... also creative, interesting and fun to work with
    -Lots of opportunities to learn new things and develop new skills
    -Felt respected and valued
    -Excellent career development/potential for promotion

Cons

-Modest bonus structure
    -Significant travel expectations could be a negative, depending on specific position and personal situation

Strong strategic and scientific company

Former Employee - Medical Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really smart, fun people. Good collaboration across the offices. Senior management listens and responds to problems. Strong scientific and digital groups and they are all in-house which is unique.

Cons

Office in SF is small but growing. Location in the city is really easy to get to on public transportation.

Continue to grow and diversify the business so you can absorb drug failures that always happen.

ApotheCom is a group of smart individuals- you work hard and play hard!

Former Employee - Client Services  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ApotheCom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had the pleasure of working under Beth McMahon-Wise for about six years and learned that ApotheCom is the industry leader in medical communications, period. The company has been around for a long time and is built on structure and procedure to best serve its clients.

The team is assembled of the very best and brightest medical communications professionals and are probably the hardest working people I have met. Employees have historically been rewarded with generous benefits and fair salaries.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard. The industry as a whole is very demanding and in order to stay ahead, you have to provide the best customer service, no matter which function you serve in the company. Long hours and personal dedication are part of the job.

Best place I've ever worked, to be honest

Current Employee - Developer  in  Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Developer in Yardley, PA

I have been working at ApotheCom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

An amazing group of people to work with, managers who make me feel valued and listened to, the freedom to take risks and explore new opportunities, a very energetic and creative working atmosphere

Cons

I can really only speak for my department within the company, but I genuinely have no complaints. In over 15 years of working in this industry, I've never been so happy with an employer.

Worked for ApotheCom? Contribute to the Community!