App Annie

Updated February 26, 2015
2.8

App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt
Bertrand Schmitt

Fun Startup, Great Potential, Exciting Industry ... It's all about mobile!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Let's start at the top. The CEO is a true leader. He has vision. He is definitely a thought leader in the mobile industry. I can tell he knows how to execute to make App Annie's vision come to life, he is a huge supporter of all employees around him and is very well respected for his leadership.

The culture at App Annie is really good. I have a ton of fun working here. It is obvious we highly value intelligence, ambition, work ethic, creativity and results. Over the course of the past year I can see there are only two things that are not tolerated - terrible negativity and consistent under-performance. I really appreciate that we DO NOT accept these because I love working with smart people who bring good energy and want to succeed as much as I do. This is definitely a fun place to work. This past weekend our entire team went to Santa Cruz where we had blast with a lot of activities: mountain biking, wine tasting, hiking, golf, darts/pool, good food and hanging out.

Right now, the mobile industry is the most exciting and fastest growing one I can think of. If anything, it will soon grow faster as the "internet-of-things" is increasingly adopted into the mainstream. Every single thing in our homes, our cars and at work will soon become some sort of mobile device. This make App Annie's potential even greater as the leader in mobile data.

The vision of the company is BIG. What's even better is that it's not just a pipe-dream but I actually see the steps that have been executed so far to make it the #1 leader in mobile data. I also see the steps that are being implemented which will make this company grow at an incredible pace for years to come. The journey has actually only started and all of us here are very excited about the product line-up over the course of the next 3-4 quarters.

The leadership REALLY cares about helping people succeed. I have seen management give multiple opportunities to to folks trying to help develop their career. When people don't deliver results I have seen management go out of their way to find roles where these individuals can be successful. The leadership here absolutely cares and I have seen it consistently throughout the past year.

In summary, this is an great place to work if you are smart, work hard and really love mobile analytics. WARNING: if you are looking for any job just for the money this is probably not the place for you. BUT, for people who are passionate about mobile, are analytical and ambitious about career opportunities this is a REALLY good place to be.

Cons

No 401k, although I have heard it's coming later this year.

I know management cares about people and gives multiple chances for folks to succeed but I think that sometimes it would be better to cut our losses a little sooner.

Continue to connect with each person and share your passion and vision consistently so the whole team can be inspired.

401K would be great.

Replacing under-performers quickly

Why The Negativity????

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

I just started working for App Annie a few weeks ago and am confused by the amount of negative reviews. My experience here has been extremely positive so far. Every person has made an effort to introduce themselves, even people at the Senior and VP level. I think the amount of bad reviews may stem from the fact that App Annie in no way encourages or demands that employees write good reviews, as many companies do, so we are being misrepresented. Sure, some aspects of the company are a little unorganized and this may mean that the blame gets put on management, but it is a young company that is still figuring things out along the way. Don't work for a startup if you are the kind of person that needs to have your hand held every step of the way. If you do not want to be held accountable for what you are producing, go work for a company where you can blend in and become a number. I think that demanding people are being seen as rude by many that are writing negative reviews, but why would you not want to work for a company that demands your best work because they know and believe in what you are capable of?

Pros
    -location
    -approachable management
    -great vision and product
    -growing rapidly
    -intelligent and passionate people
    -lively office atmosphere with plenty of opportunities to bond with your co-workers
    -people let you express your opinions and influence processes that you feel you can improve upon
    -The CEO says hello to me whenever we pass each other in the office (I know for a fact that that is not the case everywhere)

Cons

-processes are not that consistent, but these things come with time
    -roles are still being defined (but as of late, seem to be headed in the right direction)
    -better communication between teams, which will lead to more productive meetings

Take notice of what people are saying on this website! It is influential and can help make you all even stronger managers. Because of our extreme projected growth for this year, creating and maintaining process will be more important than ever.

Fun Company, Great Opportunity

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

Great people, access to people in upper management, well organized.
    My team and manager are awesome, people are very welcoming and the office is really lively. Lots of fun activities & people from different countries as a result of the multinational company. As the company is growing really quickly, they are working to address inevitable growing pains. Solid benefits as well.

Cons

As with any quickly growing startup, people are coming--and going--frequently. Roles are still in the process of being defined & sometimes there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Emails and meetings are sometimes excessive.

401k is a basic necessity when it comes to benefits (lots of great benefits are available, but this should be a priority).
    Think long-term; invest in employee and product development :)

Sounds tempting, but don't even think about it

I worked at App Annie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Downtown location
    Lunch every day
    Great products and exciting industry
    Great, smart, hardworking mid-level employees

Cons

It’s hard to even know where to begin with the cons. There is absolutely no regard for employees at this company. People come and go with the wind because they are treated as commodities. There is zero mentorship, HR doesn’t heed complaints, promotions are rare, salaries are laughably low, the CEO sends all-caps, profanity-laced emails, unbelievably junior upper management make terrible decisions (like launching two products over the holidays – don’t even think about spending time with your family), and are MIA 90% of the time (golfing? Vegas?). Sales associates are given impossible numbers to meet, worked to the bone for 6 -12 months, and then pushed out like lemmings because there are inevitably more of them waiting in the wings. Senior marketing lead once exclaimed, “What’s up gonorrhea!?” to an employee with an unfortunate cold sore. New employees from an acquisition were given pay cuts. Warm welcome indeed.

My advice is to hire senior management with real experience taking a company public and get rid of the apathetic, junior-league management waiting around for their stock to be worth something. Invest in your employees’ training and experience with the company so that they don’t leave at the first shiny opportunity. This doesn’t mean throwing a happy hour. It is not just one department that has issues, but sales and marketing are by far the worst off, and the most public-facing, so iron these issues out sooner than later.

Solid product & fun team with some minor growing pains

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Very strong footprint in the mobile ecosystem and solid product vision
    - Good atmosphere between employees, especially junior to mid-management level
    - Very global : you will work with offices in Beijing, Holland, UK... and a ton of people from everywhere
    - Fast paced with a lot of new projects and ideas being tested, good "80/20" mentality

Cons

- Should focus on the long term business success over short term / quarterly results
    - Too many cooks in the kitchen on some minor topics, employee empowerment is the key to success
    - Exec team feedback be very direct and/or give the impression

- Get external coaching to help exec team to lead almost 300 people to success as it's not a 30 people start-up anymore
    - "Less is more": pressure to constantly launch can go against a clear focus on a long-term vision and iteration based on consumer feedback
    - Need to add some "mature start-up" benefits like 401k or extra week of vacation past a certain seniority

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie

Pros

Really smart people who join.

Cons

Really smart people leave quickly.

Take care of your smart people.

Bad Leadership and Poor management Decisions

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Food is stocked
    Peers are great
    Product seems to be moving in the right direction.

Cons

Executive team is a joke with no experience, esp on the sales side.

Internal politics rule here, and youre either in or out.

Morale is really low, and they're only concerned with "reporting". No active initiatives to fix culture, transparency, communication, schedule employee events, etc. metrics are paramount over employees at this company.

major inefficiencies at every level, this place is a composition of bad decisions and band-aid fixes

New business is dead since new leadership arrived, they can't even keep salespeople.

Everyone is quitting right now. Place is a sinking ship. People are leaving faster that they are hiring.

I would not recommend this company to anyone.

How many people need to quit before you get it?

Some things should stay a Project

I have been working at App Annie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people who are fun to work with and hang out with
    Laid back office environment
    Great office location right in the heart of SF
    Awesome benefits
    Lunch 5days a week
    Close to Bart

Cons

Management: There are TOO MANY managers, VPs, etc. This place has more managers than they do regular employees. None of them communicate with each other which leads to a million emails, dumb meetings, and misunderstandings. None of them listen to their teams and are quick to weed out people before telling them what to correct.

Compensation: They do not even touch the market rate of what all of these positions are at other places. If you want to come work at an actual start up where things are unstable and unorganized then by all means come here and experience that, you're bank account will be angry at you for it.

Sales: Pay these guys more!!! It is very difficult to sell a product that some companies really don't even need/isn't very useful.

Listen to your teams. They are unhappy and they are unable to voice it. Also, SLOW DOWN. You will never make it in this industry by trying to catch up to those you can't even touch yet.

People are dropping like flies. Don't you want to know why?

App Annie Response

Feb 25, 2015VP, Global People Operations

Dear Anonymous Employee -- We are very sorry to read you did not takeaway the most positive opinions of App Annie during your time here. We agree with the pros you've mentioned and we’d like to ... More

Industry: Awesome | Company: AVOID

I have been working at App Annie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very high-growth industry. Big potential market. Great entry- and mid-level employees with tons of passion and personality. A super fun industry to be in since you can interact with almost any industry out there.

Everyone's going mobile, so if this company plays its cards right, it's a treasure trove.

Some people in the company either have the rank or the clout to push through necessary changes and keep things moving. Those individuals and teams are keeping the company moving. But they are rare....

Cons

Management is cliquey and has a tendency to throw people under the bus, which is *especially* true of one department. As another reviewer said, it's apparent senior management has little to no actual management experience.

Poor career growth opportunities and rampant office politics have caused a recent exodus of employees who hadn't even finished a full year, and it's clear multiple departments in the organization are suffering from this equally. This is a company-wide epidemic.

Some senior management, and the CEO, are downright toxic to work with. It's boot camp with the berating, four-letter curse words, and ALL-CAPS YELLING!!!!!!!!!! at every little issue which should tell you the level of maturity among the people steering the company. At least in boot camp this treatment gradually ends.

Lose the politics, train (or fire) the bad managers, and limit the number of chefs. Half the reason the website looks like it's from 2008 and marketing copy sounds borderline silly is because half the company needs to comment on it. Not only does this draw out what should be short and quick projects, it kills others thanks to the insane levels of approvals.

Fix your website.

Stop it with kneejerk changes, or at least have the courtesy to explain them. It makes everyonea the top look scatter-brained.

Be fairer to your employees. Compensate people within 20% of normal market rates. Plus, everyone's noticed the sudden firings and leaving employees.

Funding doesn't fix a toxic culture and incompetent leadership

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

Good location in downtown SF.
    Building has a spacious roof deck.
    Great views from the windows in an open office environment.
    Comfortable chairs and wide desks.
    Paid company lunches every day.
    Ping pong table and beer in the fridge.

Cons

My mother taught me if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

You're continuing to lose your best employees while keeping the worst. This trend isn't going to stop in the near future and this isn't a case of "people coming and going" as another review suggests, but it is a reflection of poor management at the highest levels. While pay and equity at App Annie is generally lower than what you can find at comparable companies in San Francisco, people aren't leaving solely for those reasons. As frustrating as it is to work at App Annie, people almost never resign on a whim or in a fit of anger. They joined App Annie because they believed it was right for them at the time and believed they could make a meaningful contribution to bring success to the company. Then something, at some point, makes it wrong. And if you take the time to dig into their real reasons for leaving, and you really should, you will find that it's not "App Annie" they blame. It's not the location of the office, or the people they work with, or the projects they work on, or the temperature in the office. It's the management. So the next time you get a resignation, resist the strong temptation I'm certain you get to laugh it off as "someone else who doesn't get us.". Take a moment to reflect on and understand what it actually is they are resigning from. It's not the departing employee who doesn't "get it." It's not App Annie they are leaving. It's you. And until there is significant change at senior levels of leadership you will not be able to retain the best employees you will need to make App Annie successful.

App Annie Response

Feb 26, 2015VP, Global People Operations

We have recognized we need to improve our manager effectiveness and are investing tremendously in efforts such as executive coaching, required manager training on manager fundamentals to advanced ... More