App Annie Reviews

40 reviews filtered by
2.6
App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt
Bertrand Schmitt

Great opportunity for those who have intellectual curiosity and the drive to make an impact.

I have been working at App Annie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun hardworking people! Working at App Annie is hard work. She will push you to your limit, but that's a GREAT thing! We've got a passionate and ambitious executive team. Strong investors. No limitations on resources and support. They promote from within and merit increased where needed! I am very satisfied! App Annie hired first female executive and there is so much more in our roadmap. 2015 will be a huge year for Annie. Leadership and HR is working through all employee concerns the right way with executive coaching. Change doesn't happen overnight. And of course... office is next to Bart, easy walk to Caltrain, FREE LUNCH everyday and great snacks.

Cons

Complainers. People who work here and don't realize what App Annie does or what the potential is. Glass half empty. Quit poisoning the well. Drink the kool aid or leave. YOU complainers are every part of the culture and YOU are bringing it down for all the people pouring blood sweat and tears into making this company great. We are working hard to take this company to the next level. You won't be coddled. You need to be a strong professional. Glassdoor isn't a physiologist couch! Investors don't shell out money to failing companies. Appreciate what we have and what it took to get here. No company is perfect.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to grow and dominate. Find time to mingle with employees of all levels. You guys are secretly friendly (and fun) and very knowledgeable and unfortunately you are too busy to display this day to day :).

Great company overall

Former Contractor - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, great energy for their product, great atmosphere. Worked on a small team, got along well with everyone, paid lunches every day, good pay rate

Cons

Small company with limited training, so you have to be able to dive into your work from the start (wasn't much of a problem for me, but I could see it being for some). Missing some of the 'startup' perks, like untracked vacation days

Advice to Management

Do more company retreats and company events where people are able to interact with colleagues they haven't been able to much before. Generally, just keep growing and doing what you're doing.

Fun Startup, Great Potential, Exciting Industry ... It's all about mobile!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Let's start at the top. The CEO is a true leader. He has vision. He is definitely a thought leader in the mobile industry. I can tell he knows how to execute to make App Annie's vision come to life, he is a huge supporter of all employees around him and is very well respected for his leadership.

The culture at App Annie is really good. I have a ton of fun working here. It is obvious we highly value intelligence, ambition, work ethic, creativity and results. Over the course of the past year I can see there are only two things that are not tolerated - terrible negativity and consistent under-performance. I really appreciate that we DO NOT accept these because I love working with smart people who bring good energy and want to succeed as much as I do. This is definitely a fun place to work. This past weekend our entire team went to Santa Cruz where we had blast with a lot of activities: mountain biking, wine tasting, hiking, golf, darts/pool, good food and hanging out.

Right now, the mobile industry is the most exciting and fastest growing one I can think of. If anything, it will soon grow faster as the "internet-of-things" is increasingly adopted into the mainstream. Every single thing in our homes, our cars and at work will soon become some sort of mobile device. This make App Annie's potential even greater as the leader in mobile data.

The vision of the company is BIG. What's even better is that it's not just a pipe-dream but I actually see the steps that have been executed so far to make it the #1 leader in mobile data. I also see the steps that are being implemented which will make this company grow at an incredible pace for years to come. The journey has actually only started and all of us here are very excited about the product line-up over the course of the next 3-4 quarters.

The leadership REALLY cares about helping people succeed. I have seen management give multiple opportunities to to folks trying to help develop their career. When people don't deliver results I have seen management go out of their way to find roles where these individuals can be successful. The leadership here absolutely cares and I have seen it consistently throughout the past year.

In summary, this is an great place to work if you are smart, work hard and really love mobile analytics. WARNING: if you are looking for any job just for the money this is probably not the place for you. BUT, for people who are passionate about mobile, are analytical and ambitious about career opportunities this is a REALLY good place to be.

Cons

No 401k, although I have heard it's coming later this year.

I know management cares about people and gives multiple chances for folks to succeed but I think that sometimes it would be better to cut our losses a little sooner.

Advice to Management

Continue to connect with each person and share your passion and vision consistently so the whole team can be inspired.

401K would be great.

Replacing under-performers quickly

A high-growth, exciting startup where you can take ownership and build something great

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

- Great team who's passionate about the industry: we work hard and have fun together
    - Management provides clear expectations and constructive feedback. My manager leads by example and challenges me to think longer terms/bigger pictures and approach problems at the next level. At the same time I am encouraged to ask questions and voice concerns/feedback. Our CEO is incredibly knowledgable about the market and engaged with our products.
    - Projects that are fast-paced, challenging, and exciting
    - Awesome location in the heart of San Francisco, with lots of great restaurants and coffee shops around
    - Education: company invests in employees with trainings
    - Solid benefits
    - Career opportunities

Cons

- Room for more well-rounded benefits
    - HR gives a lot of talks - Would like to see more action

Advice to Management

- Please prioritize a matching 401k program as part of the benefits.
    - Focus more on long term rather than quick fixes to meet short-term goals.

Been here 3 months and sadly, the reviews are true

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

Trying to change things
    Food is stocked
    wfh is acceptable here

Cons

People just don't seem happy, executive team is really an "insiders club", no idea what our metrics look like, very little direction from any executive. They seem to want to mimic microsoft or oracle software, little understanding for their customers or employees.

I'm not sure these guys "get it".

Salaries and overall comp is terrible.

No work/family balance at all.

CEO stonewalls everything, not sure why

Advice to Management

Maybe shift attention away from the inner circle and start listening to employees and customers.

The math behind app annie

I worked at App Annie

Pros

Smart coworkers, while they last who I'm friends with even after leaving
    Good product for market data
    Lunch
    Downtown location

Cons

Employee churn....No matter how you slice and dice it, app Annie has horrendous employee churn. I suspect that it will get worse as people reach employment milestones. the employer response says, "regrettable" churn is below SF Bay Area average. If one believes this to be true (and why should we?) how do you explain the rest of the churn? Poor management who doesn't give clear direction to employees and uses them to mop up the aftermath? Or bad recruiting who place employees in positions that don't fit? Anyway you look at it, app Annie is not a place for good talent these days.

An old boys club....App Annie's management techniques remind me of the signs that pre-pubescent boys hang on their bedroom door that states "no girls allowed." Of the entire executive team, there is not a single woman. Of the 27 people listed as leadership on the about section only 2 are woman. That's barely 8% of the company management! Yes there are a handful of female middle managers not represented here, but we're still looking at an abysmal rate. One gets the sense that the women who thrive at app Annie must never hold an opinion and always be pleasing the directions of the men.

Advice to Management

You do well selling market data on the app economy. You do a poor job selling data on your employment practices.

Having vision for and managing a product is not the same as a company. Only a couple of people at app Annie are trained and experienced in scaling a SAAS business. Get rid of leads who are lacking or you'll be a boat of 25 captains without a crew.

Why The Negativity????

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

I just started working for App Annie a few weeks ago and am confused by the amount of negative reviews. My experience here has been extremely positive so far. Every person has made an effort to introduce themselves, even people at the Senior and VP level. I think the amount of bad reviews may stem from the fact that App Annie in no way encourages or demands that employees write good reviews, as many companies do, so we are being misrepresented. Sure, some aspects of the company are a little unorganized and this may mean that the blame gets put on management, but it is a young company that is still figuring things out along the way. Don't work for a startup if you are the kind of person that needs to have your hand held every step of the way. If you do not want to be held accountable for what you are producing, go work for a company where you can blend in and become a number. I think that demanding people are being seen as rude by many that are writing negative reviews, but why would you not want to work for a company that demands your best work because they know and believe in what you are capable of?

Pros
    -location
    -approachable management
    -great vision and product
    -growing rapidly
    -intelligent and passionate people
    -lively office atmosphere with plenty of opportunities to bond with your co-workers
    -people let you express your opinions and influence processes that you feel you can improve upon
    -The CEO says hello to me whenever we pass each other in the office (I know for a fact that that is not the case everywhere)

Cons

-processes are not that consistent, but these things come with time
    -roles are still being defined (but as of late, seem to be headed in the right direction)
    -better communication between teams, which will lead to more productive meetings

Advice to Management

Take notice of what people are saying on this website! It is influential and can help make you all even stronger managers. Because of our extreme projected growth for this year, creating and maintaining process will be more important than ever.

Fun Startup, Great Potential, Exciting Industry ... It's all about the truth!

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

Let's start at the foundation. The majority of employees at App Annie are great individuals. They have passion and work hard. The employees is the only positive for this company's culture. I can tell the employees know how to execute and make App Annie's vision come to life, but management doesn't always have a clear vision.

The culture at App Annie is mediocre. There are days I enjoy working here. It is obvious the company highly values intelligence, ambition, work ethic, creativity and results, but who doesn't? Over the course of the past year I can see there is only one thing that is not tolerated - questioning management. I really appreciate that we don't accept this because I love working in fear which consistently puts pressure on everyone to succeed. This can be a fun place to work if that doesn't bother you.

The vision of the company is ambitious. What's nice is that it's not just a pipe-dream but there are steps that have been executed so far to make it the #1 leader in mobile data. I also see the steps that are being implemented which will make this company grow at an incredible pace for years to come. The journey has just begun and the select few of us here are very excited about the product line-up, as this is highly confidential.

The leadership doesn't really care about helping people succeed, they care about the company's success. Management has given multiple opportunities to employees trying to help develop their career, however it does seem to be a hit or miss here. When employees don't deliver results, management attempts to find roles where these individuals can be successful. When employees do deliver results, management doesn't acknowledge the effort involved. The leadership here absolutely cares about something and I have seen it consistently throughout the past year.

In summary, this is a place to work if you are smart, work hard and really love mobile analytics. Disclaimer: if you are looking for a job where compensation matches job requirement this is probably not the place for you. For people who are passionate about mobile, are analytical and ambitious about career opportunities this can be a place you want to consider.

Cons

No 401k, although I have heard it's coming later this year.

Frequent involuntary departures

Advice to Management

Continue to connect with each person and share your passion and vision consistently so the whole company can be inspired.

Embrace transparency, communication, and integrity.

Hire real leaders, you aren't making any.

Anonymous employee satisfaction survey may be enlightening.

Competitive compensation and benefits

The reason this company is hiring so much, is because they can't keep people.

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

Fun and smart coworkers
    Free lunch everyday
    Nice office location in the heart of downtown SF

Cons

The issues with morale at this company comes from the very top. It's been written here before and it's all true. The top 2 people in the company are pompous, hot tempered men. If you want to work here, I hope you like being cursed at and berated for minor offenses or even misunderstandings. I've seen coworkers screamed at for what turned out to be a miscommunication and weren't even apologized to. This type of culture is making it impossible for people to stay. If you look at the company photos on GlassDoor, most of the people in those photos don't even work for the company anymore.

Advice to Management

Jump ship like everyone else, there's not changing problems that stem from the very top.

Don't Respond to Reviews, Just Make New Ones.

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

"You must enter at least 5 words for Pros"

Cons

Most people come to Glassdoor because they are looking to get additional info about the company. You're looking to either validate or convince yourself that this is the right move and you want to hear current employees bolster those ideas and tell you that you struck gold to make that decision that much easier. When you see the large amount of negative reviews and the rare and random few extremely positive ones you find yourself at a flux of what to believe.

The culture at App Annie is to sweep everything under the rug and defer it rather address it directly and snip the problem in the butt early. Rather respond to reviews they choose to create new ones, how do I know this? because I was proposed the idea. Ask yourself if you have this much doubt and so many others do if this is where you want to invest yourself for YOUR growth. Ask yourself whether everyone is crazy or if maybe...just MAYBE there may be something wrong and there still is.

Why am I still here? Obviously waiting to vest...like everyone else. Let's be real can we?

Advice to Management

Maybe if you allowed employees to make anonymous reviews internally we wouldn't have to resort to glassdoor to get any attention.

Stop making up reviews and address current ones.