App Annie

Updated March 2, 2015
2.8

App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt
Bertrand Schmitt

Fun Startup, Great Potential, Exciting Industry ... It's all about mobile!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Let's start at the top. The CEO is a true leader. He has vision. He is definitely a thought leader in the mobile industry. I can tell he knows how to execute to make App Annie's vision come to life, he is a huge supporter of all employees around him and is very well respected for his leadership.

The culture at App Annie is really good. I have a ton of fun working here. It is obvious we highly value intelligence, ambition, work ethic, creativity and results. Over the course of the past year I can see there are only two things that are not tolerated - terrible negativity and consistent under-performance. I really appreciate that we DO NOT accept these because I love working with smart people who bring good energy and want to succeed as much as I do. This is definitely a fun place to work. This past weekend our entire team went to Santa Cruz where we had blast with a lot of activities: mountain biking, wine tasting, hiking, golf, darts/pool, good food and hanging out.

Right now, the mobile industry is the most exciting and fastest growing one I can think of. If anything, it will soon grow faster as the "internet-of-things" is increasingly adopted into the mainstream. Every single thing in our homes, our cars and at work will soon become some sort of mobile device. This make App Annie's potential even greater as the leader in mobile data.

The vision of the company is BIG. What's even better is that it's not just a pipe-dream but I actually see the steps that have been executed so far to make it the #1 leader in mobile data. I also see the steps that are being implemented which will make this company grow at an incredible pace for years to come. The journey has actually only started and all of us here are very excited about the product line-up over the course of the next 3-4 quarters.

The leadership REALLY cares about helping people succeed. I have seen management give multiple opportunities to to folks trying to help develop their career. When people don't deliver results I have seen management go out of their way to find roles where these individuals can be successful. The leadership here absolutely cares and I have seen it consistently throughout the past year.

In summary, this is an great place to work if you are smart, work hard and really love mobile analytics. WARNING: if you are looking for any job just for the money this is probably not the place for you. BUT, for people who are passionate about mobile, are analytical and ambitious about career opportunities this is a REALLY good place to be.

Cons

No 401k, although I have heard it's coming later this year.

I know management cares about people and gives multiple chances for folks to succeed but I think that sometimes it would be better to cut our losses a little sooner.

Continue to connect with each person and share your passion and vision consistently so the whole team can be inspired.

401K would be great.

Replacing under-performers quickly

Why The Negativity????

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

I just started working for App Annie a few weeks ago and am confused by the amount of negative reviews. My experience here has been extremely positive so far. Every person has made an effort to introduce themselves, even people at the Senior and VP level. I think the amount of bad reviews may stem from the fact that App Annie in no way encourages or demands that employees write good reviews, as many companies do, so we are being misrepresented. Sure, some aspects of the company are a little unorganized and this may mean that the blame gets put on management, but it is a young company that is still figuring things out along the way. Don't work for a startup if you are the kind of person that needs to have your hand held every step of the way. If you do not want to be held accountable for what you are producing, go work for a company where you can blend in and become a number. I think that demanding people are being seen as rude by many that are writing negative reviews, but why would you not want to work for a company that demands your best work because they know and believe in what you are capable of?

Pros
    -location
    -approachable management
    -great vision and product
    -growing rapidly
    -intelligent and passionate people
    -lively office atmosphere with plenty of opportunities to bond with your co-workers
    -people let you express your opinions and influence processes that you feel you can improve upon
    -The CEO says hello to me whenever we pass each other in the office (I know for a fact that that is not the case everywhere)

Cons

-processes are not that consistent, but these things come with time
    -roles are still being defined (but as of late, seem to be headed in the right direction)
    -better communication between teams, which will lead to more productive meetings

Take notice of what people are saying on this website! It is influential and can help make you all even stronger managers. Because of our extreme projected growth for this year, creating and maintaining process will be more important than ever.

A high-growth, exciting startup where you can take ownership and build something great

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

- Great team who's passionate about the industry: we work hard and have fun together
    - Management provides clear expectations and constructive feedback. My manager leads by example and challenges me to think longer terms/bigger pictures and approach problems at the next level. At the same time I am encouraged to ask questions and voice concerns/feedback. Our CEO is incredibly knowledgable about the market and engaged with our products.
    - Projects that are fast-paced, challenging, and exciting
    - Awesome location in the heart of San Francisco, with lots of great restaurants and coffee shops around
    - Education: company invests in employees with trainings
    - Solid benefits
    - Career opportunities

Cons

- Room for more well-rounded benefits
    - HR gives a lot of talks - Would like to see more action

- Please prioritize a matching 401k program as part of the benefits.
    - Focus more on long term rather than quick fixes to meet short-term goals.

Fun Startup, Great Potential, Exciting Industry ... It's all about the truth!

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

Let's start at the foundation. The majority of employees at App Annie are great individuals. They have passion and work hard. The employees is the only positive for this company's culture. I can tell the employees know how to execute and make App Annie's vision come to life, but management doesn't always have a clear vision.

The culture at App Annie is mediocre. There are days I enjoy working here. It is obvious the company highly values intelligence, ambition, work ethic, creativity and results, but who doesn't? Over the course of the past year I can see there is only one thing that is not tolerated - questioning management. I really appreciate that we don't accept this because I love working in fear which consistently puts pressure on everyone to succeed. This can be a fun place to work if that doesn't bother you.

The vision of the company is ambitious. What's nice is that it's not just a pipe-dream but there are steps that have been executed so far to make it the #1 leader in mobile data. I also see the steps that are being implemented which will make this company grow at an incredible pace for years to come. The journey has just begun and the select few of us here are very excited about the product line-up, as this is highly confidential.

The leadership doesn't really care about helping people succeed, they care about the company's success. Management has given multiple opportunities to employees trying to help develop their career, however it does seem to be a hit or miss here. When employees don't deliver results, management attempts to find roles where these individuals can be successful. When employees do deliver results, management doesn't acknowledge the effort involved. The leadership here absolutely cares about something and I have seen it consistently throughout the past year.

In summary, this is a place to work if you are smart, work hard and really love mobile analytics. Disclaimer: if you are looking for a job where compensation matches job requirement this is probably not the place for you. For people who are passionate about mobile, are analytical and ambitious about career opportunities this can be a place you want to consider.

Cons

No 401k, although I have heard it's coming later this year.

Frequent involuntary departures

Continue to connect with each person and share your passion and vision consistently so the whole company can be inspired.

Embrace transparency, communication, and integrity.

Hire real leaders, you aren't making any.

Anonymous employee satisfaction survey may be enlightening.

Competitive compensation and benefits

Fun Company, Great Opportunity

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

Great people, access to people in upper management, well organized.
    My team and manager are awesome, people are very welcoming and the office is really lively. Lots of fun activities & people from different countries as a result of the multinational company. As the company is growing really quickly, they are working to address inevitable growing pains. Solid benefits as well.

Cons

As with any quickly growing startup, people are coming--and going--frequently. Roles are still in the process of being defined & sometimes there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Emails and meetings are sometimes excessive.

401k is a basic necessity when it comes to benefits (lots of great benefits are available, but this should be a priority).
    Think long-term; invest in employee and product development :)

Sounds tempting, but don't even think about it

I worked at App Annie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Downtown location
    Lunch every day
    Great products and exciting industry
    Great, smart, hardworking mid-level employees

Cons

It’s hard to even know where to begin with the cons. There is absolutely no regard for employees at this company. People come and go with the wind because they are treated as commodities. There is zero mentorship, HR doesn’t heed complaints, promotions are rare, salaries are laughably low, the CEO sends all-caps, profanity-laced emails, unbelievably junior upper management make terrible decisions (like launching two products over the holidays – don’t even think about spending time with your family), and are MIA 90% of the time (golfing? Vegas?). Sales associates are given impossible numbers to meet, worked to the bone for 6 -12 months, and then pushed out like lemmings because there are inevitably more of them waiting in the wings. Senior marketing lead once exclaimed, “What’s up gonorrhea!?” to an employee with an unfortunate cold sore. New employees from an acquisition were given pay cuts. Warm welcome indeed.

My advice is to hire senior management with real experience taking a company public and get rid of the apathetic, junior-league management waiting around for their stock to be worth something. Invest in your employees’ training and experience with the company so that they don’t leave at the first shiny opportunity. This doesn’t mean throwing a happy hour. It is not just one department that has issues, but sales and marketing are by far the worst off, and the most public-facing, so iron these issues out sooner than later.

Solid product & fun team with some minor growing pains

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Very strong footprint in the mobile ecosystem and solid product vision
    - Good atmosphere between employees, especially junior to mid-management level
    - Very global : you will work with offices in Beijing, Holland, UK... and a ton of people from everywhere
    - Fast paced with a lot of new projects and ideas being tested, good "80/20" mentality

Cons

- Should focus on the long term business success over short term / quarterly results
    - Too many cooks in the kitchen on some minor topics, employee empowerment is the key to success
    - Exec team feedback be very direct and/or give the impression

- Get external coaching to help exec team to lead almost 300 people to success as it's not a 30 people start-up anymore
    - "Less is more": pressure to constantly launch can go against a clear focus on a long-term vision and iteration based on consumer feedback
    - Need to add some "mature start-up" benefits like 401k or extra week of vacation past a certain seniority

Had promise, but as they say, the saddest thing in life is wasted potential

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

Free lunch everyday
    Innovative Product team with strong understanding of mobile analytics

Cons

Sr management does not care about their employees at all. Constantly throwing each under other the bus, placing blame on anyone but themselves. It is such a hostile environment with all the yelling and emails with all caps and exclamation points. The maturity of mgmt shows they don’t know how to lead.

Poor career growth opportunities. Lots of empty promises about advancement. Sales goals are set at a level that is completely unattainable. And be prepared for your quota to go up without warning. Oh, we planned poorly, raise the sales quota, someone quit, better raise everyone else’s quota to compensate.

The company culture is atrocious. No one trusts anyone else. Be prepared for calls and emails at all hours of the night. Sr Management expects their lowly underlings to be at their beck and call and more tension occurs if god forbid you want to use some of your PTO for a vacation, you’ll still be expected to “do your work” like its the end of the world if you take a day off. Of course this only applies to those outside the “in crowd”, as they can do what they like.

Treat your employees with respect. Show them you care about them and their future, not that they are just there for you to shift the blame onto when you mess up. Clean house! Most of the sr management team doesn’t know how to lead, which is causing a mass exodus. Replace them with talented leaders who know how to grow a SaaS business and maaaayyyybbbeeee you’ll be okay.

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie

Pros

Really smart people who join.

Cons

Really smart people leave quickly.

Take care of your smart people.

Some things should stay a Project

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people who are fun to work with and hang out with
    Laid back office environment
    Great office location right in the heart of SF
    Awesome benefits
    Lunch 5days a week
    Close to Bart

Cons

Management: There are TOO MANY managers, VPs, etc. This place has more managers than they do regular employees. None of them communicate with each other which leads to a million emails, dumb meetings, and misunderstandings. None of them listen to their teams and are quick to weed out people before telling them what to correct.

Compensation: They do not even touch the market rate of what all of these positions are at other places. If you want to come work at an actual start up where things are unstable and unorganized then by all means come here and experience that, you're bank account will be angry at you for it.

Sales: Pay these guys more!!! It is very difficult to sell a product that some companies really don't even need/isn't very useful.

Listen to your teams. They are unhappy and they are unable to voice it. Also, SLOW DOWN. You will never make it in this industry by trying to catch up to those you can't even touch yet.

People are dropping like flies. Don't you want to know why?

App Annie Response

Feb 25, 2015VP, Global People Operations

Dear Anonymous Employee -- We are very sorry to read you did not takeaway the most positive opinions of App Annie during your time here. We agree with the pros you've mentioned and we’d like to ... More