App Annie Reviews

App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt
Bertrand Schmitt

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie (More than 10 years)

Pros

AppAnnie is a great company with a lot of benefits. Everyone gets stock.

Cons

AppAnnie has No Cons at all

Advice to Management

Hot Mess. Don't Dismiss Warning Signs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

App Annie is uniquely positioned to make a meaningful impact on the mobile analytics market, but I wouldn't bet on them long term unless leadership turns over significantly. They have very talented people working there and it's a pretty good company to have on your resume when you leave, but it's reputation is starting to spread.

Cons

I never really understood the concept of "being set up to fail" until I worked at App Annie. The role they sold to me during the recruitment process sounded great and I really thought it would be a place where I could excel and grow my career. Turned out they didn't know what they really wanted from my position and the work they gave did not align with my experience or strengths. I have had bad bosses in the past, but I have never felt so mismanaged as during my time at App Annie. It was the most frustrating experience of my career.

I had an inkling something was off when I interviewed because the people I interacted with seemed to lack some subtle yet very basic social skills. Their communication style was a little abrupt and abrasive. My references that they spoke with told me that they sounded a little weird and had their doubts about whether it was the right choice for me to work there. I wish I had hadn't ignored the warning signs. I should have trusted my gut and used their job offer to leverage another. It was a nightmare.

Advice to Management

As someone who works for a company that is now a potential client of yours, my suspicions about the value of your product to agencies, brands, and the app economy have mostly been confirmed. The thing you're good at, mobile app store analytics, is overpriced for the value it brings to your partners. The rest of the products are bested by competitors or a waste of time, spinning wheels. What's the end game? Sell to comScore? Leadership doesn't have a strong enough understanding of the competition. Bring in outside consultants to do some house cleaning. Align the organization around a strategy that makes sense within the larger analytics landscape and think from the perspective of your clients when you develop products. It's not rocket science. You just need to really scrutinize and realign management. There were also very shady discussions around data collection and privacy that made me uncomfortable to work there. That, among many other red flags I witnessed, was a symptom of the significant culture problem that needs to be addressed.

Great group of smart, hardworking individuals who know how to have fun

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

Joining App Annie is one best career decisions I have ever made. Not only do they have a great product that is fun to sell, they are also a great group of really fun, nice, smart, and interesting people. They have done a great job building a culture that you want to be a part of.

Cons

If you don't like to work hard or spend time with really smart funny people this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

May 15, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for sharing your perspective as a current, full-time employee. It’s great to hear that you are excited about App Annie’s vision and place in the mobile industry. We’re excited, too, which ... More

I can guess which VP wrote the comment before this one

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has potential
    There are a lot of smart people there
    Very fun employee culture

Cons

Pay is on the low side, but it looks like it might get better.

If you need to work with top level management on anything you will regret waking up in the morning. It is either through inaction, abusive behavior or lack of vision in some areas, but top level management is poison.

A lot of people complain about the CEO, but I actually liked seeing him go off on people, a lot of the time he is right. He is rather brilliant, but should be in a different role then CEO. I heard a funny story that you can tell you are getting canned because he will drop you from LinkedIn, I will keep my eyes open :)

Hopefully things will change, we have a lot of new management (but sadly also just lost some great people). The company is in the stag where it needs to be turned over to the new guard and the the old one site on the board or something.

Advice to Management

If it seems like everyone else, it is probably you. There is a toxic culture there and people dread having to deal with a lot of you. I would call up all the people that quit in the last little while and take their advice.

Great opportunity for those who have intellectual curiosity and the drive to make an impact.

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun hardworking people! Working at App Annie is hard work. She will push you to your limit, but that's a GREAT thing! We've got a passionate and ambitious executive team. Strong investors. No limitations on resources and support. They promote from within and merit increased where needed! I am very satisfied! App Annie hired first female executive and there is so much more in our roadmap. 2015 will be a huge year for Annie. Leadership and HR is working through all employee concerns the right way with executive coaching. Change doesn't happen overnight. And of course... office is next to Bart, easy walk to Caltrain, FREE LUNCH everyday and great snacks.

Cons

Complainers. People who work here and don't realize what App Annie does or what the potential is. Glass half empty. Quit poisoning the well. Drink the kool aid or leave. YOU complainers are every part of the culture and YOU are bringing it down for all the people pouring blood sweat and tears into making this company great. We are working hard to take this company to the next level. You won't be coddled. You need to be a strong professional. Glassdoor isn't a physiologist couch! Investors don't shell out money to failing companies. Appreciate what we have and what it took to get here. No company is perfect.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to grow and dominate. Find time to mingle with employees of all levels. You guys are secretly friendly (and fun) and very knowledgeable and unfortunately you are too busy to display this day to day :).

New Business is Dead; Quotas are a joke

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food is stocked, you can come and go, no one knows whats going on (freedom)

Cons

They have never figured out revenue or culture. Both are bascially dead too.

They over hire, then under hire, they can't figure out lead-gen, they don't train anyone about the product or the space, no one is responsible for anything. Quota's for BDM's are 2-3X higher than what everyone is closing. Whoever is driving sales is lost, its obvious.

Culture is joke, everyone distrusts the execs. There is no communication, no internal promotions, turnover is ridiculously high. Personally I've seen about 25 people get fired or quit in 7 months just on the business side.

Stay away!!!

Advice to Management

You should consider getting rid of alot of the executives, especially the younger ones with no experience or "legacy software" type experience. This is SF, should be a fast growing startup, but it isn't, its a chop shop and black hole.

May 15, 2015Human Resources Manager

We appreciate your perspective as a current employee. There is always room for improvement and App Annie is no exception to this belief. We acknowledge that positive change must occur on all levels ... More

culture of fear

I have been working at App Annie

Pros

Good industry to be in, smart people, growing fast, stock options, free food in kitchen and free meal every day, average office, ok money

Cons

culture is extremely bad. leaders seem to not know what they doing. CEO curses at people uncontrollably. Sometimes struggles to get through a sentence without dropping f*bombs, even at all company meetings. Tense environment. People seem to spend their time worrying what CEO will think/say rather than worrying about what is the right thing for the business. No one knows what the strategy is or why decisions get made. But Quota always set really high.

Advice to Management

Got to take culture seriously. People work hard because they are good people, and want to do good work. It won't go on forever.

Fun Startup, Great Potential, Exciting Industry ... It's all about mobile!

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let's start at the top. The CEO is a true leader. He has vision. He is definitely a thought leader in the mobile industry. I can tell he knows how to execute to make App Annie's vision come to life, he is a huge supporter of all employees around him and is very well respected for his leadership.

The culture at App Annie is really good. I have a ton of fun working here. It is obvious we highly value intelligence, ambition, work ethic, creativity and results. Over the course of the past year I can see there are only two things that are not tolerated - terrible negativity and consistent under-performance. I really appreciate that we DO NOT accept these because I love working with smart people who bring good energy and want to succeed as much as I do. This is definitely a fun place to work. This past weekend our entire team went to Santa Cruz where we had blast with a lot of activities: mountain biking, wine tasting, hiking, golf, darts/pool, good food and hanging out.

Right now, the mobile industry is the most exciting and fastest growing one I can think of. If anything, it will soon grow faster as the "internet-of-things" is increasingly adopted into the mainstream. Every single thing in our homes, our cars and at work will soon become some sort of mobile device. This make App Annie's potential even greater as the leader in mobile data.

The vision of the company is BIG. What's even better is that it's not just a pipe-dream but I actually see the steps that have been executed so far to make it the #1 leader in mobile data. I also see the steps that are being implemented which will make this company grow at an incredible pace for years to come. The journey has actually only started and all of us here are very excited about the product line-up over the course of the next 3-4 quarters.

The leadership REALLY cares about helping people succeed. I have seen management give multiple opportunities to to folks trying to help develop their career. When people don't deliver results I have seen management go out of their way to find roles where these individuals can be successful. The leadership here absolutely cares and I have seen it consistently throughout the past year.

In summary, this is an great place to work if you are smart, work hard and really love mobile analytics. WARNING: if you are looking for any job just for the money this is probably not the place for you. BUT, for people who are passionate about mobile, are analytical and ambitious about career opportunities this is a REALLY good place to be.

Cons

No 401k, although I have heard it's coming later this year.

I know management cares about people and gives multiple chances for folks to succeed but I think that sometimes it would be better to cut our losses a little sooner.

Advice to Management

Continue to connect with each person and share your passion and vision consistently so the whole team can be inspired.

401K would be great.

Replacing under-performers quickly

May 15, 2015Human Resources Manager

A high-growth, exciting startup where you can take ownership and build something great

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

- Great team who's passionate about the industry: we work hard and have fun together
    - Management provides clear expectations and constructive feedback. My manager leads by example and challenges me to think longer terms/bigger pictures and approach problems at the next level. At the same time I am encouraged to ask questions and voice concerns/feedback. Our CEO is incredibly knowledgable about the market and engaged with our products.
    - Projects that are fast-paced, challenging, and exciting
    - Awesome location in the heart of San Francisco, with lots of great restaurants and coffee shops around
    - Education: company invests in employees with trainings
    - Solid benefits
    - Career opportunities

Cons

- Room for more well-rounded benefits
    - HR gives a lot of talks - Would like to see more action

Advice to Management

- Please prioritize a matching 401k program as part of the benefits.
    - Focus more on long term rather than quick fixes to meet short-term goals.

May 15, 2015Human Resources Manager

We value feedback from current employees, because it allows us to make impactful changes. The suggestion of a 401K matching program has been brought to our attention. We hear you and we will consider ... More

The math behind app annie

I worked at App Annie

Pros

Smart coworkers, while they last who I'm friends with even after leaving
    Good product for market data
    Lunch
    Downtown location

Cons

Employee churn....No matter how you slice and dice it, app Annie has horrendous employee churn. I suspect that it will get worse as people reach employment milestones. the employer response says, "regrettable" churn is below SF Bay Area average. If one believes this to be true (and why should we?) how do you explain the rest of the churn? Poor management who doesn't give clear direction to employees and uses them to mop up the aftermath? Or bad recruiting who place employees in positions that don't fit? Anyway you look at it, app Annie is not a place for good talent these days.

An old boys club....App Annie's management techniques remind me of the signs that pre-pubescent boys hang on their bedroom door that states "no girls allowed." Of the entire executive team, there is not a single woman. Of the 27 people listed as leadership on the about section only 2 are woman. That's barely 8% of the company management! Yes there are a handful of female middle managers not represented here, but we're still looking at an abysmal rate. One gets the sense that the women who thrive at app Annie must never hold an opinion and always be pleasing the directions of the men.

Advice to Management

You do well selling market data on the app economy. You do a poor job selling data on your employment practices.

Having vision for and managing a product is not the same as a company. Only a couple of people at app Annie are trained and experienced in scaling a SAAS business. Get rid of leads who are lacking or you'll be a boat of 25 captains without a crew.

RSS Feed </> Embed