App Annie Reviews

2.7
App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt
Bertrand Schmitt

1. Featured Review

A high-growth, exciting startup where you can take ownership and build something great

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

- Great team who's passionate about the industry: we work hard and have fun together - Management provides clear expectations and constructive feedback. My manager leads by example and challenges me to think longer terms/bigger pictures and approach problems at the next level. At the same time I am encouraged to ask questions and voice concerns/feedback. Our CEO is incredibly knowledgable about the market and engaged with our products. - Projects that are fast-paced, challenging, and exciting - Awesome location in the heart of San Francisco, with lots of great restaurants and coffee shops around - Education: company invests in employees with trainings - Solid benefits - Career opportunities

Cons

- Room for more well-rounded benefits - HR gives a lot of talks - Would like to see more action

Advice to Management

- Please prioritize a matching 401k program as part of the benefits. - Focus more on long term rather than quick fixes to meet short-term goals.

May 15, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

We value feedback from current employees, because it allows us to make impactful changes. The suggestion of a 401K matching program has been brought to our attention. We hear you and we will consider ... More

Great startup and getting better

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

When I first got here there were definitely issues but I've never worked at a place without MAJOR issues. What was different is there was a major sense of entitlement from some people. Lots of these guys have been replaced and I really think there's been a huge positive change. I like my coworkers, management is down to earth and our products are pretty cool if you like mobile and data. The company is doing well and growing fast. My quota is very high and it seems impossible every quarter but it's really like that everywhere I've worked. I find a way to get it done and get my commission. Other comments on this site about the CEO seem off. He swears a lot so people probably get intimidated. When I hear him speak he's definitely smart, has a sense of humor and knows what he's doing. Maybe some people don't like his French accent. This place is getting better and better to work. All the others perks about food, gym-benefits and good location are all true. I see top performers getting promoted from within. Seems fair, people work hard and I like it a lot.

Cons

Comp has improved but still could be a little bit better. Deal with bad apples faster.

Advice to Management

401K matching. We want to see how the whole company is doing against our company goals. Some companies show sanitized board slides at company meetings which would be very interesting for us.

Jul 23, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

Thanks for calling out App Annie’s improvement in your review. We have grown quite a bit and still have room for improvements, so your feedback is really helpful. We’re glad to see that you feel ... More

Stay Away -- Waste of Time

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None if any at all.

Cons

This place is terrible, they clearly have NO IDEA what they are doing. The whole C-suite is getting retrained, the VP's are terrible and have no idea what they are doing. Salary is WAY BELOW PAR, equity doesn't exist. They have done everything wrong in the book, every mistake you can make, they'vemade it. Now, their decision making process is rooted in trying to navigate the pile of sh*t they created. Stay Away, this place is really bad!

Advice to Management

just get rid of the exec team, hire EXPERIENCED people and move on.

Moving on up!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

App Annie attracts a lot of smart employees who have a passion for what they do. Free lunches, unlimited snacks, and Fitbits for each employee!

Cons

App Annie isn't really a company that has time to hold your hand, and executives are always busy around here. But at the end of the day, everyone is really passionate about the products that App Annie produces and ensuring that they are of great quality.

Jul 31, 2015 – People Ops team

Hi, App Annier! Thanks for telling folks about some of the perks we offer. We are fast-moving and focused on the day-to-day hustle, but we do take the time to have fun and celebrate with each other ... More

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie (More than a year)

Pros

There are very little pros to working at App Annie. Most of them are superficial. Examples If you only care about he perks then this is the place for you. App Annie likes to throw a lot of fluff at you in hopes thats enough to keep you around. I don't mean money either, they like to give free lunch which is nice but if you paid me industry standard or above to stay competitive then I wouldn't need free lunches. I could afford to eat out and not feel trapped to work through lunch every day. The only other perk is that I have made a lot of really good people who work hard even though they don't know why since the company doesn't value them. I have made many friends that are life long so thank you for that one and only valuable pro.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. App Annie is not competitive at all with salaries, or at least they weren't a 6 months ago. They love to over promise and under deliver, STOCK is a perfect example. I mean how many times can you come to a town hall and tell us that you are working on getting us stock. Let me tell you about 6 months and still going of promising and not delivering. Upper management is horrible. Most of them are talented as individuals but can not manage a team if their life depended on it. Management loves to abuse the hard working individuals that they try so hard to get to come to work for them. The constant abuse of never knowing if your appreciated or hated. To come to work everyday and not know if your boss is going to yell at you for something that isn't your fault or praise you for something you have done. To live in fear that your going to be fired everyday is stressful and not a healthy work environment. Management for the most part is the reason most people leave App Annie. Its hard to stay motivated to come to a place that doesn't appreciate or acknowledge good work. Encouragement is what people need and most of us are torn down on a daily basis. Turnover is so high, I have never worked at a company where there are 3 to 5 sometimes more people quitting a month. The sales team is the worst for this, since I started there are about 5 people that still on the sales team every one else is new. The sales team is about 30+ people. The design team is losing two people about a week from one another what does that say about the team? There are so many questions that App Annie leaves open for people to wonder and question about the company. If I could give a half a star or no star I would for many of the ratings. This is by far the WORST company I have ever worked at. There is nothing they can do to save the people that quit. They know this and yet instead of fixing the issue like demoting some managers or even letting them go they continue to pretend like nothing is wrong.

Advice to Management

Really look into the people that you promote to manage people. NOT everyone is meant to be in management. The people who are writing reviews on Glassdoor are trying to be heard, you should look into their problems and not just sweep them under the rug.

Thanks for NOTHING

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Please fix the following errors: You must enter at least 5 words for Pros.

Cons

I've been at App Annie for over a year and it's terribly true about the culture, tone at the top, and lack of effort made by management. In my last year, I've seen alot of good, talented, smart workers go. Veterans in the company that help build this with their blood sweat and tears fall victim to executives trying to save their own hide by throwing others under the bus. They know who they are an unwilling to let go because it is IMPOSSIBLE to hire new employees that want to work at AA after reading these reviews. If you are sales, you are set up to fail. You will not hit your number, this is not a matter of "effort" it's a matter of execs trying to appease investors with their impossible goals. If you are in product, prepare to have terrible hours and to be harassed, belittled, and berated by your higher ups, and if you are in marketing....well you can get by with pretty much not properly doing your job (at least for a year) so I guess you are solid there. Don't fall for the tricks and the "perks" of this. If you have another offer on the table take it. A fitbit, free snacks, and happy hours dont mean anything for your career if you only work there for 3 months before having to reapply for another job. Can't really explain to a future employer that you got sold on a few perks...if 60-70% would not recommend to friends, and 50%+ do not approve of the CEO and all the positive reviews here are made by management and not real employees, what does that say about the nature and state of this place? This will be your shortest career that you've ever attempted at making.

Advice to Management

Stop making fake reviews. Stop falling for other execs who twist stories to throw others under the bus This is not Microsoft. It's App Annie.

Hot Mess. Don't Dismiss Warning Signs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

App Annie is uniquely positioned to make a meaningful impact on the mobile analytics market, but I wouldn't bet on them long term unless leadership turns over significantly. They have very talented people working there and it's a pretty good company to have on your resume when you leave, but it's reputation is starting to spread.

Cons

I never really understood the concept of "being set up to fail" until I worked at App Annie. The role they sold to me during the recruitment process sounded great and I really thought it would be a place where I could excel and grow my career. Turned out they didn't know what they really wanted from my position and the work they gave did not align with my experience or strengths. I have had bad bosses in the past, but I have never felt so mismanaged as during my time at App Annie. It was the most frustrating experience of my career. I had an inkling something was off when I interviewed because the people I interacted with seemed to lack some subtle yet very basic social skills. Their communication style was a little abrupt and abrasive. My references that they spoke with told me that they sounded a little weird and had their doubts about whether it was the right choice for me to work there. I wish I had hadn't ignored the warning signs. I should have trusted my gut and used their job offer to leverage another. It was a nightmare.

Advice to Management

As someone who works for a company that is now a potential client of yours, my suspicions about the value of your product to agencies, brands, and the app economy have mostly been confirmed. The thing you're good at, mobile app store analytics, is overpriced for the value it brings to your partners. The rest of the products are bested by competitors or a waste of time, spinning wheels. What's the end game? Sell to comScore? Leadership doesn't have a strong enough understanding of the competition. Bring in outside consultants to do some house cleaning. Align the organization around a strategy that makes sense within the larger analytics landscape and think from the perspective of your clients when you develop products. It's not rocket science. You just need to really scrutinize and realign management. There were also very shady discussions around data collection and privacy that made me uncomfortable to work there. That, among many other red flags I witnessed, was a symptom of the significant culture problem that needs to be addressed.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie (More than 10 years)

Pros

AppAnnie is a great company with a lot of benefits. Everyone gets stock.

Cons

AppAnnie has No Cons at all

Jul 23, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

Hi there! Thanks for your positive review. With a benefits and perks package that includes 11 paid holidays, 16 vacation and sick days, medical/dental/vision insurance, a 401K plan, a health and ... More

I can guess which VP wrote the comment before this one

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has potential There are a lot of smart people there Very fun employee culture

Cons

Pay is on the low side, but it looks like it might get better. If you need to work with top level management on anything you will regret waking up in the morning. It is either through inaction, abusive behavior or lack of vision in some areas, but top level management is poison. A lot of people complain about the CEO, but I actually liked seeing him go off on people, a lot of the time he is right. He is rather brilliant, but should be in a different role then CEO. I heard a funny story that you can tell you are getting canned because he will drop you from LinkedIn, I will keep my eyes open :) Hopefully things will change, we have a lot of new management (but sadly also just lost some great people). The company is in the stag where it needs to be turned over to the new guard and the the old one site on the board or something.

Advice to Management

If it seems like everyone else, it is probably you. There is a toxic culture there and people dread having to deal with a lot of you. I would call up all the people that quit in the last little while and take their advice.

Jul 23, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

Yikes, we don’t want anyone to regret coming in to work in the morning! Your feedback is tough to hear, but we appreciate the insight and will look at it as an opportunity for change. In fact, our ... More

Great group of smart, hardworking individuals who know how to have fun

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

Joining App Annie is one best career decisions I have ever made. Not only do they have a great product that is fun to sell, they are also a great group of really fun, nice, smart, and interesting people. They have done a great job building a culture that you want to be a part of.

Cons

If you don't like to work hard or spend time with really smart funny people this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

May 15, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

Hello and thanks for your review! We are glad to hear that your experience as a full-time employee has been a positive one. Our employees are certainly a fun and hard-working bunch. As App Annie ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed