AppDirect Reviews

Best Decision I've Made Yet, Here To Stay

Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for less than a year, but here is what I can share of my experience so far:
    - Incredible culture focused on fostering growth and success
    - Opportunity to own more than your defined role and shine within the company
    - Flat org and access to executives at any time
    - Market leading platform that continues to improve and evolve into an industry disrupting technology
    - Working with the largest companies in the world and impacting millions of businesses
    - Great office atmosphere and amazing views (24th/25th Floor, 360-deg view of city and bay)
    - Competitive benefits (Equity, 401K w/ matching, Free Bay Club Membership, Free Healthcare/Dental/Vision, Catered Lunches, and others)
    - Monthly town halls to highlight successes, improvements, spotlight new hires, and share new initiatives

There are plenty of other reasons, but the simplest way I can put it is: this is the best place I've worked yet and I feel like I'm a part of something that's making a difference.

Cons

- The company is still getting to the point of building training tailored to specific roles, meaning expect to be ready to own your role and find the answers - especially if on the business side
    - We operate pretty lean all things considered so the hours can be hectic and unpredictable at times
    - The product and capabilities continue to grow so it can be daunting at first

2. Great company to work for. Interesting challenges and fast growth.

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptional co-workers, competitive compensation, fast growth.

Cons

Nothing in particular to report.

Your average startup, no rocket ship

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many good people still work here though quite a few have moved on recently.
    Brand new 24th floor office.
    Catered lunch on Fridays. Lots of snacks lying around in general.
    Lots of changes/hiring although in engineering most new hires were for the Montreal office.
    Clear core values that are emphasized often.

Cons

Not engineering driven or product driven. Revenue mainly comes from a few large multi-year deals. Custom work with tight deadlines driven by large clients divert a significant amount of engineering resources. Custom work don't scale. Often have to deal with outdated technology. That said, the company is moving down market and trying out lower-tier versions to appeal to more customers. The jury is still out but currently seems unlikely to become a big public company.

Work-life balance depends on your team - TPM teams tend to have tight deadlines. All of engineering is on a weekly release schedule and weekly development cycle => it can be high intensity, which is actually a core value.

Not transparent - There're people in the management layer/in the know and then there are the rest. Monthly town halls are good but not enough.

Advice to Management

Focus more on building value into the product. Don't be afraid to push back on unreasonable client requests.

Lacking experienced leaders

I worked at AppDirect full-time (more than a year)

Pros

some cool people
    nice office with amazing view

Cons

no work/life balance whatsoever
    inexperienced leaders and executives

Advice to Management

listen to and learn from experienced employees

AppDirect Response

Sep 30, 2014Director, Human Resources

I’m bummed to hear that we weren’t able to create a more favorable work experience while you were on the team, and I can understand where some of your feedback came from – thank you for providing it ... More

Amazing culture, great team!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time

Pros

These are just major reasons I like working here, since there are many more:
    - CEOs are focused on building culture. Core values here are very specific, not just feel-good buzz words, geared toward guiding the individual. This is one way the company shows it values the individual and realize that an organization is only as good as its people.
    - One of our core values is Humility, and thanks to which, people have very low ego here. From where I am, haven’t seen much office politics.
    - Everyone I’ve worked with is very good at what they do, friendly and open to discussing new ideas.
    - Upper management are very transparent about what’s happening with business. CEOs host all-hand meeting for the entire company every month and share company results. One all-hand was to go over the result of employee survey, open address raised issues, even if only one person mentioned it.
    - Just started peer mentorship program, a great opportunity for senior team members to help new hires get onboard faster, while improving their leadership skills. We do things based on feedback and need, not because it’s what’s “always done”.
    - Quarterly team rotation gives members some opportunities to work on different kinds of projects
    - Weekly release cycle eases some pressure for deadlines, since it’s not too bad to miss a release for most projects, so haven't experienced too much crunch time.
    - Events group dedicated to hosting fun events every month, e.g. game nights, hikes, happy hour

Cons

- We work with some big partner companies, so there is consistent pressure on some teams to deliver partner projects
    - Team allocation is generally based on project needs, so an individual may not change teams as often as they’d like
    - Some processes still need to be hammered out as team grows, but I'm optimistic it'll improved over time

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on building culture and encourage open communication as our team grows.

Inspiring Talent, Well Managed

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The breadth, depth, and diversity of talent at AppDirect is truly inspiring. The company has done a great job of cultivating an environment in which employees are empowered to make informed decisions that follow guiding principles rather than adhering to strict policy. This means that when inspiration strikes, the employee has the opportunity to take well-guided creative risk without feeling boxed-in or hampered. And the high quality of work being produced throughout the company motivates everyone to do their very best.

Great compensation, great benefits, an incredible San Francisco office, and other offices in some of the coolest cities world-wide are all reasons to come to AppDirect.

To put it plainly, this is the best place I've ever worked!

Cons

Not so much a con, but more setting the right expectation:
    This is an environment in which you need to be ready to own your tasks and responsibilities. Things move quickly and everyone has a full plate; be prepared to work. AppDirect isn't a place to settle-in and wait to be told what to do. You will certainly be managed and be assigned tasks, but you will be expected to bring your knowledge, skills, and talent to the table as you complete your tasks in addition to generating new ideas that benefit the company. Of course, doing so will also benefit your career.

Advice to Management

Management has done an incredible job of empowering every employee to make decisions that affect their role, work, and piece of the company puzzle, guided by well-designed core values. Maintaining this individual, significant decision-making ability as the company grows will be a challenge.

A great place to work!

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome team. Supportive, open and transparent executive team. Upper floor of a tall building downtown makes for beautiful views of the city. Great team managers. Great work atmosphere. Lots of extracurricular & team bonding activities, including trivia/bar/movie nights, scavenger hunts, hikes, etc. Awesome benefits package (high quality coverage, premiums fully covered). Great perks. All-around great place to be.

Cons

I think one place for improvement might be in on-boarding. Getting a care package after signing the offer letter was awesome, but once you get on-site for your first day, it was a bit disorienting since there didn't seem to be much of a process. A little more support would have helped (maybe a new hire buddy system or an orientation schedule). But that being said, the whole team was extraordinarily welcoming and friendly so it didn't phase me too much.

One the best places I've ever worked

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AppDirect is the first place I’ve worked where I feel treated like an adult. You are expected to deliver on your goals and objectives, but you are given wide latitude to meet them. Compensation and benefits are very, very good.

Cons

As others have said, fast growth leads to some confusion. The "go go go” approach means some initiatives are started without clear goals, work is duplicated across teams, or it ends up being obsolete as soon as it’s finished.

Also, the office is very nice, but the open office style layout is a productivity killer.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the values that have gotten the company to where it is today.

Ownership and Awesome Career Growth

Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at AppDirect, I could count my surrounding colleagues on just my hands. Now, 4 years in and with over 100 new people on the team, I'm more proud than ever for the opportunity I've had at AppDirect.

In the early days, our co-founders emphasized that with a shared vision and hard work, everyone would have the opportunity to take ownership over their careers and form the trajectory of AppDirect's business and culture. During my tenure at AppDirect, I've gone from being a sole individual contributor to leading an incredibly talented Design team. Along the way, no one explicitly told me to create a department or lead a team. I approached the endeavor with AppDirect's core vision in mind and was met with support as the Design team not only defined itself as an autonomous group within the company, but also established design as a core responsibility to our success.

Cons

As a fast growing and youthful startup, it sometimes can feel like there is a lack of experienced managers to mentor people such as myself who had teams that are growing to 10+ people. I really want to be successful in my leadership abilities, and having more available and invested people to help do so would be great.

Advice to Management

Make sure the opportunity of ownership continues to be available as the team grows.

Work hard, play hard.

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AppDirect has done a great job of hiring over the past couple years and has put together an incredibly strong and talented team. I'm always learning new things from my co-workers and feel like I can approach anyone with a question. The company has a great sense of culture and everyone is united in working toward a common goal.

Cons

Major product decisions are made by a relatively small and tight knit group at the company. It's often times difficult to feel like you've made a significant dent when things are run in this way.