AppDirect

appdirect.com

AppDirect Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Nicolas Desmarais & Daniel Saks

Amazing culture, great team!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThese are just major reasons I like working here, since there are many more:
    - CEOs are focused on building culture. Core values here are very specific, not just feel-good buzz words, geared toward guiding the individual. This is one way the company shows it values the individual and realize that an organization is only as good as its people.
    - One of our core values is Humility, and thanks to which, people have very low ego here. From where I am, haven’t seen much office politics.
    - Everyone I’ve worked with is very good at what they do, friendly and open to discussing new ideas.
    - Upper management are very transparent about what’s happening with business. CEOs host all-hand meeting for the entire company every month and share company results. One all-hand was to go over the result of employee survey, open address raised issues, even if only one person mentioned it.
    - Just started peer mentorship program, a great opportunity for senior team members to help new hires get onboard faster, while improving their leadership skills. We do things based on feedback and need, not because it’s what’s “always done”.
    - Quarterly team rotation gives members some opportunities to work on different kinds of projects
    - Weekly release cycle eases some pressure for deadlines, since it’s not too bad to miss a release for most projects, so haven't experienced too much crunch time.
    - Events group dedicated to hosting fun events every month, e.g. game nights, hikes, happy hour

Cons- We work with some big partner companies, so there is consistent pressure on some teams to deliver partner projects
    - Team allocation is generally based on project needs, so an individual may not change teams as often as they’d like
    - Some processes still need to be hammered out as team grows, but I'm optimistic it'll improved over time

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on building culture and encourage open communication as our team grows.

Inspiring Talent, Well Managed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe breadth, depth, and diversity of talent at AppDirect is truly inspiring. The company has done a great job of cultivating an environment in which employees are empowered to make informed decisions that follow guiding principles rather than adhering to strict policy. This means that when inspiration strikes, the employee has the opportunity to take well-guided creative risk without feeling boxed-in or hampered. And the high quality of work being produced throughout the company motivates everyone to do their very best.

Great compensation, great benefits, an incredible San Francisco office, and other offices in some of the coolest cities world-wide are all reasons to come to AppDirect.

To put it plainly, this is the best place I've ever worked!

ConsNot so much a con, but more setting the right expectation:
    This is an environment in which you need to be ready to own your tasks and responsibilities. Things move quickly and everyone has a full plate; be prepared to work. AppDirect isn't a place to settle-in and wait to be told what to do. You will certainly be managed and be assigned tasks, but you will be expected to bring your knowledge, skills, and talent to the table as you complete your tasks in addition to generating new ideas that benefit the company. Of course, doing so will also benefit your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has done an incredible job of empowering every employee to make decisions that affect their role, work, and piece of the company puzzle, guided by well-designed core values. Maintaining this individual, significant decision-making ability as the company grows will be a challenge.

Work hard, play hard.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAppDirect has done a great job of hiring over the past couple years and has put together an incredibly strong and talented team. I'm always learning new things from my co-workers and feel like I can approach anyone with a question. The company has a great sense of culture and everyone is united in working toward a common goal.

ConsMajor product decisions are made by a relatively small and tight knit group at the company. It's often times difficult to feel like you've made a significant dent when things are run in this way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work!

ProsAwesome team. Supportive, open and transparent executive team. Upper floor of a tall building downtown makes for beautiful views of the city. Great team managers. Great work atmosphere. Lots of extracurricular & team bonding activities, including trivia/bar/movie nights, scavenger hunts, hikes, etc. Awesome benefits package (high quality coverage, premiums fully covered). Great perks. All-around great place to be.

ConsI think one place for improvement might be in on-boarding. Getting a care package after signing the offer letter was awesome, but once you get on-site for your first day, it was a bit disorienting since there didn't seem to be much of a process. A little more support would have helped (maybe a new hire buddy system or an orientation schedule). But that being said, the whole team was extraordinarily welcoming and friendly so it didn't phase me too much.

One the best places I've ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAppDirect is the first place I’ve worked where I feel treated like an adult. You are expected to deliver on your goals and objectives, but you are given wide latitude to meet them. Compensation and benefits are very, very good.

ConsAs others have said, fast growth leads to some confusion. The "go go go” approach means some initiatives are started without clear goals, work is duplicated across teams, or it ends up being obsolete as soon as it’s finished.

Also, the office is very nice, but the open office style layout is a productivity killer.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the values that have gotten the company to where it is today.

Friendly and smart people

ProsMy teammates are all very sharp and good at what they do, along with being friendly and likable. They work hard and accomplish a lot. And though the company is growing very quickly, the management and employees are always trying to do things right / as best they can be done, which sometimes loses focus in a quick-growth phase like they are in.

ConsBecause the company is growing so quickly, it can sometimes feel chaotic. But from chaos comes opportunity, and I think AppDirect does well at planning for and capitalizing on those opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being smart and thoughtful about what you do. It's appreciated.

Challenging and all the more rewarding for it.

ProsThe demand for quality and attention to detail is unparalleled in my experience, but the work is that much more rewarding for it. There's a lot of freedom given on how to approach a particular problem so long as you can justify your decisions. All of the teams I've had the pleasure to work with are fantastic and demand your best. Recruitment is very thorough.

ConsThe demand for quality can sometimes lead to expectations that negatively impact work/life balance. The open office can lead to many distractions and loud conversations interrupting your work. It can get a bit "bro"-y at times though the team is very diverse.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirm up internal processes and chain of command.

Ownership and Awesome Career Growth

Creative Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWhen I started at AppDirect, I could count my surrounding colleagues on just my hands. Now, 4 years in and with over 100 new people on the team, I'm more proud than ever for the opportunity I've had at AppDirect.

In the early days, our co-founders emphasized that with a shared vision and hard work, everyone would have the opportunity to take ownership over their careers and form the trajectory of AppDirect's business and culture. During my tenure at AppDirect, I've gone from being a sole individual contributor to leading an incredibly talented Design team. Along the way, no one explicitly told me to create a department or lead a team. I approached the endeavor with AppDirect's core vision in mind and was met with support as the Design team not only defined itself as an autonomous group within the company, but also established design as a core responsibility to our success.

ConsAs a fast growing and youthful startup, it sometimes can feel like there is a lack of experienced managers to mentor people such as myself who had teams that are growing to 10+ people. I really want to be successful in my leadership abilities, and having more available and invested people to help do so would be great.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the opportunity of ownership continues to be available as the team grows.

Positive Energy, Strong and Passionate Culture, Hard-working Team

G&A (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's great to be surrounded by coworkers who are extremely motivated and excited about contributing to the company. Everyone here seems to be excited about where the company is going and dedicated to being a part of that.

On a more team based level, I am happy to be a part of a department that is extremely close-knit and giving. We all seem to get along and cooperate well to meet our goals.

ConsLong hours, skeleton of structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's definitely an opportunity for growth in the structure/policy areas. I think the recognition push lately is a great idea. Overall, though, I'm very happy to be here, excited about working for this company, and proud to contribute to such an awesome team!

Great place to work!

IT Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery dynamic environment with a lot of fun and opportunity to grow with wonderful group of people. Perfect location, too.

ConsToo fast to move forward and so many things to be done quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep all current valuable company's culture.

Worked for AppDirect? Contribute to the Community!