AppDynamics

AppDynamics Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

AppDynamics Founder & CEO Jyoti Bansal

Jyoti Bansal

Pros:
  • "fast paced, change is constant - application works and the return on investment story is real"
    in 5 reviews
  • "AppDynamics has a great product that is really making an impact in the market"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not really a con, but the growing pains and lessons of working in a successful startup"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Fast paced and action-intelligence oriented only"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Senior Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat location (close to BART)
Innovative Culture
Decent salary

ConsYoung company with inexperience managers and recruiting.
Some employees take pride in working off hours and on weekends (poor work-life balance).

Challenging workplace with an emphasis on hyper growth

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsConstantly being challenged
All the tools needed to do your job are given to you
VERY STRONG product
Loyal Customers

Consfiefdom mentality with extremely narrow pool of talent being brought in, namely McAfee, BMC and ex-CA Wily
protectionist stance with leadership, not advancement from within...
Big company/corporate leadership team out of tune with challenges of small hyper-growth startup...

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit outside of BMC, CA, McAfee....there is a lot of talent out there and neither one of these three are making hay in the software space lately (cloud?)

I thought I had an A game, but this company has helped me take it to a whole new level

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros- Challenge: once you're past the gruesomely challenging interview process, you're now considered a part of the family. This company will throw you into the deep end and expect you to sink or swim. You're given the opportunity to actually show your true strengths without bureaucratic red-tape holding you back. There never has been a day where I felt I wasn't being challenged to my fullest potential.

- IQ: the collective intelligence and experience of this company is nothing to take lightly. There is a powerhouse of industry experience, knowledge and IQ.

- Culture: this company does care about the employees. Just recently HR held a leaderboard of ideas for employees to suggest the benefits they would like to see. Of the top five, 4 of them were adopted and rolled out within a month. Employee benefits are not lip-service for recruiters to attract new prospects; they actually do take care of their work force.

- Food: best breakfasts and catered lunches. Bottomless supply of drinks, coffee, snacks and even meals for those days you want to grab a quick lunch at the office for yourself.

- Office: you can sit and work, stand and work, walk and work on the tread-desks, or throw your legs up and lounge in any of the "lounges" that are placed throughout the office.

- Massages: this speaks for itself

- Highly competitive salaries, stock options. No 401k matching, but you cannot expect that from a pre-IPO company at this stage.

Cons- Working in downtown SF means paying lots of $$ for rent. Luckily the salary helps with that.
- No bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

The only vendor who can transform IT management and rival Splunk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Best in class technology and market leadership with significant momentum relative to their peers
- The product genuinely solves business problems for its customers
- Exceptional sales leaders (VPs) in US and EMEA with unstoppable reps and field execution means AppDynamics will continue to disrupt and scale regardless of competition
- Fantastic new office downtown San Francisco provides a great working environment

Cons- Definition of "A player" varies
- Accountability needs to be enforced across all teams and employees

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and keep killing the dinosaurs.

One place that you love to go to work so much that you will say THANK GOD ITS MONDAY every week.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsExtremely challenging environment.
A true startup in terms of freedom of work and quickness in deliverabilities.
A very high learning curve with abundance of opportunities.

ConsNot many but is fast paced and some times long hours which makes it exciting to go to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and hope the atmosphere stays the same as the company grows.

Great opportunity to work with smart and driven people

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Viable product/industry
- AppDynamics' market is ripe for innovation
- Strong leadership
- Employees are passionate about their work and care about the company and its products and each other
- Individual contributors have opportunity to make significant impact and see the results

Cons- Can be demanding
- Lots of change
- Driven personalities can often be competitive. This is both a pro and con in some aspects

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to model the behavior you want to see in the culture

Wicked Awesome Company

AppDynamics University Intern (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics as an intern for less than a year

ProsAwesome employees, killer management, fun culture, beer.

ConsSometimes there's not enough gummy bears in the kitchen

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. You're killing it.

Mixed Bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AppDynamics full-time

ProsThere are great perks such as food, chair massage and a lot of happy hours. It's also an exciting atmosphere to be part of a company doing so well.

ConsRude, entitled people, unprofessional management/HR & upward movement is a joke. Very wasteful use of money. I honestly don't know how they are doing so well.

Disappointing Culture

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

ProsBased on where you fall, life at AppDynamics can range from 'ok' to 'pretty bad'. However, pending the outcome of the lawsuit with CA Wily, the IPO does seem to be a very real possibility. There are some very good engineers here for the product. As someone already noted, the overwhelmingly positive reviews were a propaganda campaign run by the marketing department in early 2013.

ConsExtremely political, competitive and chaotic environment, in most cases without any direction. An ugly culture of self-congratulation and one-upmanship. There are many inexperienced and unqualified employees who are emboldened out of sheer ignorance, hired out of desperation to fill the ranks. Outside of the product itself, there seems to be no coherent strategy whatsoever. The sales and marketing team are a caricature of what you would expect to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaturity will help you in the long-run. Stop rewarding bad behavior. Focus on long-term strategy and genuine employee well-being.

A startup with interesting work and a real business model

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for less than a year

ProsFounder/CEO is a veteran in this market.
VP of eng is Adobe veteran who has implemented many positive changes in engineering practices.
A rare and delightful business model: we make software, companies pay us to use it, and then buy more because they like it!
Great colleagues (I'm in product engineering).
Dedicated to making customers successful.
The whole team is focused on doing one thing well.
Lots of interesting problems for engineering.
We are constantly making the company better.

ConsFierce competition in this market (but we're doing very well against it).
Very few women in engineering.
Some startup growing pains.

Worked for AppDynamics? Contribute to the Community!

AppDynamics Videos

AppDynamics – Why Work for Us?

Come work at AppDynamics At AppDynamics, we love fast. We especially love fast websites – who doesn’t? – and we love working with hundreds of customers around the world to help them speed up their apps. If you’re a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AppDynamics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AppDynamics CEO Jyoti Bansal. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by AppDynamics employees.