AppDynamics Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
4.3

AppDynamics Founder & CEO Jyoti Bansal
Jyoti Bansal

Pros
  • fast paced, change is constant - application works and the return on investment story is real (in 5 reviews)

• AppDynamics has a great product that is really making an impact in the market (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not really a con, but the growing pains and lessons of working in a successful startup (in 6 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment, not for those who are lazy or want to kick back (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Successful Start Up

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced growth, hungry and successful in their own way.
    Great technical team
    Typical start up

Cons

Fast becoming old boys club since 2013, you are either in or out
    Still learning to sell into enterprises
    Spoiled by initial success, make sure you do not burn out
    Have not mastered talent management, looking for stellar short term performances only

The world is not flat, one strategy does not work all the time...

Fun company. Smart employees.

Current Employee - Online Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Online Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics for more than a year

Pros

AppDynamics is in an accelerated growth stage, which makes coming to work very exciting. Everyone is at the top of their game and are also very committed to the success of the company.

Cons

Not as much freedom with increased procedures and policies.

Great company with strong vision and ability to execute

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Very competent workforce across all departments.
    - Vision to be the next greatest software company.
    - Very strong and innovative product that leads the market.
    - Growth excitement.
    - Flexible working hours but fast product release cycles.

Cons

Haven't been in this company for a long time, but so far so good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some great people, but little cross-departmental cooperation; bad managers stay and stay

Current Employee - Senior Level, Non-management  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Level, Non-management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fantastic product with unbelievable growth potential
    - Super smart people at every level
    - Decent free food and drinks available at all times; weekly free breakfast and lunch; regular special events

Cons

- Supposed core value of transparency, but good people disappear with no explanation
    - Frequent re-orgs cause confusion about roles and workload
    - A few managers truly don't "get" the value of their best workers. Some of the highest achievers I know are bummed out every day. Some are looking around for a place where they'll be appreciated (or have already left)
    - "Silo" mentality leads to lack of consistent messaging, duplication of efforts

- Get rid of the few folks who block progress instead of facilitating it
    - Be aware that there is drama and grousing going on among the ranks - listen and learn from what they are frustrated about

Cronyism at it's best.

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-AppDynamics is a solid product that has made a big impact on very notable enterprise companies.

Cons

AppDynamics reeks of cronyism - People get promoted and awarded based on their ties with C-Level staff rather than their performance which is why underperformers linger and high achievers often disappear with no explanation.

-Our department seriously lacked leadership and direction. There was no long term strategy or actual management from our Manager, but rather a host short term knee jerk reactions that caused chaos and people being hired just for the sake of hitting a quota. Rising attrition was evidence of this observation, while offer rejection numbers also became increasingly high. Our team went through 15+ seasoned Recruiters in less than a year, most stayed less than 9 months.

-Hiring leadership for my group has an unchecked "lowball" offer strategy, systematically trying to hire veteran candidates at the lowest base salary possible - we lost many many good Candidates to this. I've also personally witnessed my Manager deploy immoral tactics. e.g. He once told a Candidate that he knew people at their current employer, suggesting that if they did not take his offer, their interview could get back to their existing team.

Poor work:life balance - C-Level staff required on-site presence for our group on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve even for teams who had already met and exceeded their year-end goals.

-HR is unwelcoming and does a poor job making their employees feel safe. Sharing concerns is not the route to go, and will actually hinder you. HR point blank advised to cope with the management style or go find a new job.

Unfortunately, based on my experience, AppDynamics is not a healthy working environment. My department grossly lacked honesty, integrity, and meritocracy.

1. As a company that thrives on data, I'd urge you to take a close look at what your Recruiting and HR metrics are saying about your company culture. Hint: Attrition, Offer Rejection

2. Your Recruiting leadership is nonexistent, change it. Your high churn rate of Recruiters makes it impossible to establish a tight partnership with your hiring teams, which is vital to attracting and securing appropriate long term talent.

AppDynamics Response

Jun 5, 2014Head of Talent Acquisition

Companies often hire contract recruiters to support the aggressive growth plan then would scale the number of contract recruiters down when the hiring needs have been met. We can't blame individuals ... More

Forced stack rankings - were are the originals?

I worked at AppDynamics

Pros

money to be maid, hair to be pulled

Cons

this is an MBA project on how not to win the hearts and minds

watch silicon valley on hbo, cause this is you!!

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great location (close to BART)
    Innovative Culture
    Decent salary

Cons

Young company with inexperience managers and recruiting.
    Some employees take pride in working off hours and on weekends (poor work-life balance).

Challenging workplace with an emphasis on hyper growth

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Constantly being challenged
    All the tools needed to do your job are given to you
    VERY STRONG product
    Loyal Customers

Cons

fiefdom mentality with extremely narrow pool of talent being brought in, namely McAfee, BMC and ex-CA Wily
    protectionist stance with leadership, not advancement from within...
    Big company/corporate leadership team out of tune with challenges of small hyper-growth startup...

Recruit outside of BMC, CA, McAfee....there is a lot of talent out there and neither one of these three are making hay in the software space lately (cloud?)

I thought I had an A game, but this company has helped me take it to a whole new level

Current Employee - Management  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Challenge: once you're past the gruesomely challenging interview process, you're now considered a part of the family. This company will throw you into the deep end and expect you to sink or swim. You're given the opportunity to actually show your true strengths without bureaucratic red-tape holding you back. There never has been a day where I felt I wasn't being challenged to my fullest potential.

- IQ: the collective intelligence and experience of this company is nothing to take lightly. There is a powerhouse of industry experience, knowledge and IQ.

- Culture: this company does care about the employees. Just recently HR held a leaderboard of ideas for employees to suggest the benefits they would like to see. Of the top five, 4 of them were adopted and rolled out within a month. Employee benefits are not lip-service for recruiters to attract new prospects; they actually do take care of their work force.

- Food: best breakfasts and catered lunches. Bottomless supply of drinks, coffee, snacks and even meals for those days you want to grab a quick lunch at the office for yourself.

- Office: you can sit and work, stand and work, walk and work on the tread-desks, or throw your legs up and lounge in any of the "lounges" that are placed throughout the office.

- Massages: this speaks for itself

- Highly competitive salaries, stock options. No 401k matching, but you cannot expect that from a pre-IPO company at this stage.

Cons

- Working in downtown SF means paying lots of $$ for rent. Luckily the salary helps with that.
    - No bonuses.

Keep up the good work.

The only vendor who can transform IT management and rival Splunk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Best in class technology and market leadership with significant momentum relative to their peers
    - The product genuinely solves business problems for its customers
    - Exceptional sales leaders (VPs) in US and EMEA with unstoppable reps and field execution means AppDynamics will continue to disrupt and scale regardless of competition
    - Fantastic new office downtown San Francisco provides a great working environment

Cons

- Definition of "A player" varies
    - Accountability needs to be enforced across all teams and employees

Invest in your employees and keep killing the dinosaurs.

Worked for AppDynamics? Contribute to the Community!