AppDynamics

Updated November 24, 2014
3.8

AppDynamics Founder & CEO Jyoti Bansal
Jyoti Bansal

Pros
  • Fast paced growth, hungry and successful in their own way (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to learn how to cold call (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not really a con, but the growing pains and lessons of working in a successful startup (in 6 reviews)

• Not many but is fast paced and some times long hours which makes it exciting to go to work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Contractor

Former Employee - Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Management was very down to earth, friendly, and capable of cutting through BS. Work-life balance was also good--the focus was on accomplishing whatever tasks had been set.

Cons

This is in some ways a pro, but I actually enjoyed working with every manager I interacted with more than my non-manager level co-workers. Many of my co-workers were surprisingly unfriendly or perhaps simply somewhat socially awkward and uninteresting. This con did not, of course, apply to every coworker, though, and I would still recommend this company.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Cool, AppD is on my Resume. That's it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks, they have $ to spend, big office, great location. The work life balance while I was in my role was good. I rarely had to take work life home with me. There are a lot of great people here who are very intelligent and who care about what they do and want to see the company succeed.

Cons

Terrible management, very clicky, super political, was talked down to often, no values, no integrity. I would have very much loved to have kept working here but had a very terrible team experience and no help, encouragement, motivation from my manager to want to stay there. I am very happy with what I have accomplished and done for them but had to move on.

Please take a step back and look at the employees who have left and review why they have left. Very mistreated and never appreciated. Promotions based on if your "in the IT club"

Read between the lines

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Technology is cutting edge
    Company is a market leader
    Most people in the organization are good
    Pre-IPO
    Unlimited potential

Cons

The management of the talent acquisition team
    The politics within that department
    Fake marketing propaganda/reviews to cover up downfalls instead of addressing these issues

The Executives have a huge issue on their hands that needs to be addressed sooner than later in the talent acquisition department. I would suggest that you take the time and actually audit the team's individual activities and production with a microscope. Make leadership show you exactly "who has placed who" with proof. Outside of one person, you will find that the majority of the work has been done by contractors.

As you can see, since a group of recruiters has began to expose these flaws, the company has countered these truthful reviews with obvious propaganda.

Awesome company - join if you want to be part of a rocket ship that is on its way to the top.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great product, revenue, and people. Super positive environment and fantastic perks including free food, free massages 3X per week, competitive benefits, wellness programs (including yoga and a running club!) great philanthropy program, and a really fun office environment in a great location. Leadership team is highly engaged and treats employees with respect. The culture of respect comes from the top. That makes all the difference.

With regard to the hiring process - it was clear to me from the very beginning of my hiring process that Talent is a priority at AppDynamics. This was validated at every point along the way, from the very communicative and professional staffing team, to the way that each member of the interview panel was on time for interviews and treated me with respect. It is fun to be on the other side of things now and to be a part of a great experience for our next generation of candidates.

This company is winning and you can feel it. It feels great to come in to work every day.

Cons

Like any company that is growing like crazy, some things are still being built out, and sometimes it is hard to hire people fast enough. But these are great problems to have.

Keeping doing the great work you are doing. Keep the culture of respect as we grow. It will continue to pay huge dividends with loyal employees in the future.

I look forward to going to work everyday!

Current Employee - Office Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We have a really cool culture. We have a group comprised of each team that meets up to think up fun and cool things we can do as a company to improve our culture. Some of the recent things we have implemented are foosball and ping pong tournaments, celebrating Diwali at HQ, weekly yoga, and I hear that a fitness bootcamp is in the works! There is literally always something new and fun going on, so it's hard to get bored. We are also huge supporters of women in technology; we attend conferences, host events, and have quarterly tea parties in effort to promote gender equality in technology.

The people are here are hands down, amazing. The recruiting team has high standards and does a really good job of hiring the best of the best, because we have some of the smartest, talented and passionate people. We are expanding rapidly, and it's exciting to be able to meet all the new hires every Monday!

Cons

I haven't come across any cons yet. I enjoy coming into work everyday!

Continue to keep an open mind and actually listen to your teams. I don't think this has typically been a big problem, but it's crucial for continued success.

Life changing and unique, a visionary team of leaders.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to grow, as a professional but also as a person. The ability to work among great, life changing people every day who all want to achieve something special with their lives. To bring technology that ACTUALLY works into customer environments and not have to apologise. Rather, you get praised for how great the solution is and it's made even better by the people who build, market, sell and support it!

Cons

Maintaining a health work/life balance can be challenging due to the hyper growth nature of the business and the desire to keep pace with colleagues.

Keep focused on the culture which made us great, avoid the big company curse and always think about the customer first.

The Greatest – Fantastic leadership and amazing people

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

AppDynamics is truly the greatest company that I have ever worked for, and probably will ever work for in all aspects. The individuals working for AppDynamics is highly intelligent, enthusiastic and passionate about what they do. To keep up the passion and the culture within the company, it requires an inspiring leadership and this is key to the AppDynamics success. The management operates under a clear vision and follow you every step of the way through coaching and development. Every moment you spend with the VP is valuable, there is never anything irrelevant being discussed or mentioned, every story and sentence has a purpose. It is years of knowledge, hard work and dedication that the entire management is eager to pass on to you so that you can progress and be as successful as they are.

If you are looking for a company to grow with, career wise as well as a person, then AppDynamics is the company for you. There is never a quiet moment and its very high paced, their way to reach the vision is very structured and as an employee you are extremely valuable as you are a part of that vision and also a part of the success.

Cons

I do not have any cons for this company at all. They are brilliant in every single way.

No need for advice, they run such a successful business and brings out the best in every individual.

Politics politics politics!

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The technology and products are market leading
    Lots of resources to get your work done
    The company has a name, to where engineers are familiar with it
    Developer driven, as opposed to sales-driven strategies
    Great upside with the momentum the company has

Cons

The talent acquisition department leadership
    Lack of integrity and honesty when dealing with recruiters and candidates
    Goals based on leadership's promotion plans, not individual development
    Lack of professionalism and common corporate etiquette that turns top talent away
    If you're not in the club, you're out. Simple as that.

My advice to management would be to make changes. I am one of several recruiters who had a very disappointing experience at AppDynamics specifically due to the recruiting leadership and the politics that contaminate the department. Subsequently, leadership attempted to sabotage my employment at other companies, though unsuccessfully. Some of us(former AppDynamics recruiters) have recently become connected and have begun communicating our collective experiences.

Yes, it's a tough startup environment. Yes, it is worth it.

Current Employee - Talent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Talent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Rock solid product offerings
    Top notch co-workers
    You get to move the needle, for real
    Very fast paced
    Opportunity is presented to many people, very frequently.

I work in the talent acquisition department. Contrary to other reviews, I began as a contractor, I filled the hard positions and I received and accepted a full time position. Look, recruiting is tough in this market period. Working for a company that has an appetite for the best in breed will be tougher than average. We all know this and accept the challenge. *This is not a secret*

Cons

Top notch co-workers = you must deliver comparably. Hiring managers don't have time to hand hold.
    You get to move the needle = So, you need to move the needle... All the time.
    The group is run similar to a sales group, precise productivity speaks more than anything.
    Work/life balance can get out of line at times.

Again - *these things are not a secret*

Don't be mislead.

Former Employee - Contract Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Contract Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Their APM product is very good, it supports distributed systems.
    They have funding to move forward next year without interruption.
    A lot of talented engineers.
    Recognition in the tech market.
    The product is good enough to generate sales far beyond new feature development.

Cons

A tendency to mislead employees and candidates.
    Literally childish behavior in the recruiting team.
    Lack of expertise, that gets exposed when trying to sell high level candidates.
    Lack of integrity in general in the department. Leadership allows "favorites" to get away with things that others are not allowed(not meeting quota, working from home last minute, differences in pay)
    If you are a contractor, you will be worked MUCH harder than the full time recruiters. You will be expected to work outside of normal business hours...

It may be too late. The department is rotten top to bottom. The company may eventually end up spending a ton of money on external recruiters. Leadership must be replaced before any true seasoned recruiters could thrive at AppDynamics.