AppDynamics

Updated December 10, 2014
4.3

AppDynamics Founder & CEO Jyoti Bansal
Jyoti Bansal

Pros
  • Fast paced growth, hungry and successful in their own way (in 7 reviews)

• great philanthropy program, and a really fun office environment in a great location (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not really a con, but the growing pains and lessons of working in a successful startup (in 6 reviews)

• Work/life balance can get out of line at times (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The most beautiful and revwarding experience I ever had

Current Employee - Manager Customer Success & Enablement in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you do a great job you will be rewarded with tangible things, as an hypergrowth company there is plenty of opportunities here. You will not find any other place with those ingredients, we have junior people from the University converted into Tehcnical Account Manager in 1 year with 25 years, a Technical Account Manager promoted to Manager in 1 year at the age of 39.

This company expects all from you, but it gives back all as well.

Ths is the place that could change your life for ever

Cons

You have to follow the pace of the company continously. It is extremely challenging and not everyone survives. This company just hires A players, and you have to perform as an A player always, there is no room for other performance kind.

Maybe the only big con is that this envirnment requirs a lot of effort and time, and sets the work/life balance in not a good shape.

If you can take this stresfull environment while being always an A player, you will be really happy and succesfull, but if you don't, you will fail here.

Keep focusing on the culture, this is what makes this company different and better form the PoV of the insider experience.

Contractor

Former Employee - Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Management was very down to earth, friendly, and capable of cutting through BS. Work-life balance was also good--the focus was on accomplishing whatever tasks had been set.

Cons

This is in some ways a pro, but I actually enjoyed working with every manager I interacted with more than my non-manager level co-workers. Many of my co-workers were surprisingly unfriendly or perhaps simply somewhat socially awkward and uninteresting. This con did not, of course, apply to every coworker, though, and I would still recommend this company.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Cool, AppD is on my Resume. That's it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks, they have $ to spend, big office, great location. The work life balance while I was in my role was good. I rarely had to take work life home with me. There are a lot of great people here who are very intelligent and who care about what they do and want to see the company succeed.

Cons

Terrible management, very clicky, super political, was talked down to often, no values, no integrity. I would have very much loved to have kept working here but had a very terrible team experience and no help, encouragement, motivation from my manager to want to stay there. I am very happy with what I have accomplished and done for them but had to move on.

Please take a step back and look at the employees who have left and review why they have left. Very mistreated and never appreciated. Promotions based on if your "in the IT club"

Awesome company - join if you want to be part of a rocket ship that is on its way to the top.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great product, revenue, and people. Super positive environment and fantastic perks including free food, free massages 3X per week, competitive benefits, wellness programs (including yoga and a running club!) great philanthropy program, and a really fun office environment in a great location. Leadership team is highly engaged and treats employees with respect. The culture of respect comes from the top. That makes all the difference.

With regard to the hiring process - it was clear to me from the very beginning of my hiring process that Talent is a priority at AppDynamics. This was validated at every point along the way, from the very communicative and professional staffing team, to the way that each member of the interview panel was on time for interviews and treated me with respect. It is fun to be on the other side of things now and to be a part of a great experience for our next generation of candidates.

This company is winning and you can feel it. It feels great to come in to work every day.

Cons

Like any company that is growing like crazy, some things are still being built out, and sometimes it is hard to hire people fast enough. But these are great problems to have.

Keeping doing the great work you are doing. Keep the culture of respect as we grow. It will continue to pay huge dividends with loyal employees in the future.

I look forward to going to work everyday!

Current Employee - Office Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We have a really cool culture. We have a group comprised of each team that meets up to think up fun and cool things we can do as a company to improve our culture. Some of the recent things we have implemented are foosball and ping pong tournaments, celebrating Diwali at HQ, weekly yoga, and I hear that a fitness bootcamp is in the works! There is literally always something new and fun going on, so it's hard to get bored. We are also huge supporters of women in technology; we attend conferences, host events, and have quarterly tea parties in effort to promote gender equality in technology.

The people are here are hands down, amazing. The recruiting team has high standards and does a really good job of hiring the best of the best, because we have some of the smartest, talented and passionate people. We are expanding rapidly, and it's exciting to be able to meet all the new hires every Monday!

Cons

I haven't come across any cons yet. I enjoy coming into work everyday!

Continue to keep an open mind and actually listen to your teams. I don't think this has typically been a big problem, but it's crucial for continued success.

Life changing and unique, a visionary team of leaders.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to grow, as a professional but also as a person. The ability to work among great, life changing people every day who all want to achieve something special with their lives. To bring technology that ACTUALLY works into customer environments and not have to apologise. Rather, you get praised for how great the solution is and it's made even better by the people who build, market, sell and support it!

Cons

Maintaining a health work/life balance can be challenging due to the hyper growth nature of the business and the desire to keep pace with colleagues.

Keep focused on the culture which made us great, avoid the big company curse and always think about the customer first.

The Greatest – Fantastic leadership and amazing people

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

AppDynamics is truly the greatest company that I have ever worked for, and probably will ever work for in all aspects. The individuals working for AppDynamics is highly intelligent, enthusiastic and passionate about what they do. To keep up the passion and the culture within the company, it requires an inspiring leadership and this is key to the AppDynamics success. The management operates under a clear vision and follow you every step of the way through coaching and development. Every moment you spend with the VP is valuable, there is never anything irrelevant being discussed or mentioned, every story and sentence has a purpose. It is years of knowledge, hard work and dedication that the entire management is eager to pass on to you so that you can progress and be as successful as they are.

If you are looking for a company to grow with, career wise as well as a person, then AppDynamics is the company for you. There is never a quiet moment and its very high paced, their way to reach the vision is very structured and as an employee you are extremely valuable as you are a part of that vision and also a part of the success.

Cons

I do not have any cons for this company at all. They are brilliant in every single way.

No need for advice, they run such a successful business and brings out the best in every individual.

Yes, it's a tough startup environment. Yes, it is worth it.

Current Employee - Talent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Talent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Rock solid product offerings
    Top notch co-workers
    You get to move the needle, for real
    Very fast paced
    Opportunity is presented to many people, very frequently.

I work in the talent acquisition department. Contrary to other reviews, I began as a contractor, I filled the hard positions and I received and accepted a full time position. Look, recruiting is tough in this market period. Working for a company that has an appetite for the best in breed will be tougher than average. We all know this and accept the challenge. *This is not a secret*

Cons

Top notch co-workers = you must deliver comparably. Hiring managers don't have time to hand hold.
    You get to move the needle = So, you need to move the needle... All the time.
    The group is run similar to a sales group, precise productivity speaks more than anything.
    Work/life balance can get out of line at times.

Again - *these things are not a secret*

Great Product even better Vision!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work. Leadership is in-tune with employees and marketplace. Product is ever evolving and definitely a leader in the space. Individuals are valued and your opinion is welcomed. Very agile -when things need to change it happens quickly.

Cons

Some politics as any place has. Need a bit healthier food in the kitchens but most is good.

Keep promoting from within, enable your leaders and individual contributors

The next great software company, no. Probably the next BMC:

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-On par with typical SaaS earnings
    -Great place to learn how to cold call

Cons

-Poor/Non-Existent people management
    -Exlusively KPI driven (KPIs developed by mature businesses from a different era)
    -Not at all a Silicon Valley culture. Basically like working for BMC (a very old, very un-silicon valley software company)
    -Culture of intimidation from the Veep downwards
    -Severe cronyism as everyone followed Veep from BMC
    -Long work hours
    -No social balance. You are there to make calls, bring in deals and they pay you. Any kind of enjoyment/banter is looked as taking your eye off the ball
    -Culture is viewed as people who work excessively hard and put AppD above all else. Consistently.

Won't be taken on board as they already know better than anyone else in the industry