AppFolio

Brian Donahoo

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great products and people

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat employees, great educational / flexible atmosphere, competitive salary.

ConsIt has grown very quickly - so everything that goes along with that . . . (more politics, more separation from execs to the rest of the group, slowed growth within some departments)
No 401K match

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that everyone working here has a career path in mind - ask your employees what they want over the next year or two with their responsibilities and career growth.

Growing pains.

Customer Success Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked with many wonderful and intelligent people at AppFolio.
AppFolio Property Manager is a good product that many customers genuinely love.
Santa Barbara is a beautiful, if expensive, place to live.
They offer decent benefits to salaried employees.
Free snacks.
Fitness classes several times a week.

ConsLow pay.

Anemic raises.

Little to no opportunity for advancement.

An unequal culture. There is much lip service paid to company values that are not exercised.

Rampant cronyism in the middle tier of the company, at the expense of promoting from within.

Incompetent and under qualified middle management.

Disconnect between upper and middle management.

AppFolio is trying very hard to become profitable before a future IPO, putting a huge strain on sales and customer support as more poor fit customers are brought on. Scaling up is proving to be AppFolio's largest problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and deliver on your promises. You are killing moral.

Not what it once was...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

ProsPlethora of free snacks/beverages and the occasional free lunch. The people are great, starting pay is decent and the stock options are decent. There are some company sponsored sports teams that are always fun to be a part of. Young company.

ConsUpper management seems to be disconnected from the actual happenings at the bottom. Middle/lower management are unqualified and put a priority on furthering their career instead of developing a strong knowledgeable team. Raises are slim, and a job well done is non-existent. Lack or poor interdepartmental communication reeks havoc throughout the company. Little to no growth or mobility. Politics are always being played. Management is too concerned about their employees time card than they are about their performance. They are no longer a customer service first company and are now focused on profitability.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your lower to middle management are qualified for their jobs or provide them training so they and their team can succeed. Nothing worse than working for incompetent managers. Offer advancement or mobility within the company. Not everyone wants to remain at a remedial position for the rest of their lives. Clean up processes within and between departments - too many things are falling in the cracks. Go back to being a customer driven company.

Great culture, limited personal growth

Services/Implementation (Current Employee)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat starting pay and benefits
The people and coworkers are amazing. I made quite a few friends working there and the culture is energetic and fun.

ConsLimited/no advancement/mobility within the company. Pay is limiting and is not comprabable to skill and responsibility increase the longer you stay there.
There is little to no incentives/rewards even if you go above and beyond job requirements/description. As a result, there is an undercurrent of discontent.
Large disconnect between upper management and clients that use the product.
Very fine line between offering concerns/feedback about processes/company and being viewed as negative or "not on board" with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate actual advancement and career opportunities. Employees start working there with excitement and optimistic about establishing a career and building something special. By year 1-2 those emotions are withered if not gone.

Overall a nice place.

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

ProsThe employees are a great bunch, and the culture is an active one. There are lots of sports teams to play on, and monthly company meetings are a lot of fun.

ConsUpward mobility is extremely limited, favoritism runs rampant. The pay... It's bad.

I Feel Very Lucky To Be Part Of This Company

Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros-Smart, fun, and well-rounded colleagues - the company does a great job hiring good people
-Company puts employees as a top priority - I've never worked at a company that treated their employees so well
-Friendly, smart and accessible Executives
-Great products - it's easy to sell/market/support products that you believe in
-Customer Service is top priority - our customers LOVE us
-Competitive salary
-Breakfast/snacks provided

ConsThere are no cons working for AppFolio.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly star deduction is 401K match.

Worked for AppFolio? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AppFolio reviews and ratings in Goleta, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AppFolio CEO Brian Donahoo. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by AppFolio employees.