AppFolio Reviews

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

The company is doing very well and they provide high salaries and strong benefits

Cons

It's a mid-size company that grew relatively quickly. Lots of changes in internal processes that can be difficult to navigate sometimes.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent with employees. Promote from within. We have a unique culture here at Appfolio and I'd hate to see it change.

Great company but not for SDR's (please read if interested in entry level Sales)

Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best reasons:
    - Overall culture, in general people are fun and friendly
    - The very top of leadership is great (CEO-Brian and both the CoFounders)
    - Events are fun, food is good, they have all the fluff that startups do
    - Sales team is compensated well for their efforts (monetary mainly, then the typical fluff)

Cons

I speak for ONE department, so do not take this to speak for every department, this is both SDRs and ISRs:
    - You will be heavily micromanaged on the SDR team and depending on the manager the ISR team as well
    - In the beginning it feels like they like you, but they're actions convey that they only like you for your numbers
    - Management is always right (even if they invade privacy) and will not admit their faults
    - Leadership in this department is mostly former Citrix team, so they know what they want and don't care much about what you think
    - AppFolio has grown too quickly, going from an SDR team of 5 to 20+ in the course of 2-4 months which means again that you are just a number. Same goes for Sales, from 10-20 to 40-60 in 2-4 months (I do apologize if I've inflated those too high, but I do know that the SDR team numbers are accurate - I'm trying to be honest and fair)
    - It's never good when you enjoy hanging out with other departments more than your own
    - Majority age range is early twenties, which makes it college 2.0 (so if you're looking for a mature environment to work, then don't go here)
    - Your managers bonuses depending on Your performance (which is not unusual), which some managers handle with care and grace, not the case here. It's all about the numbers and a promotion will constantly be dangled in front of you to make you work harder (not because it's actually available).

Advice to Management

I am writing this review 5 months after leaving AppFolio. I didn't like sales at AppFolio, but now that I'm at a new company, I greatly enjoy sales. (I hope those comments help you understand I'm not just venting or "blind")

My Place at AppFolio:
    I was an employee for just shy of a year and while in the beginning I believed all the "this is a nearly perfect company" talk that went around, I quickly saw how things were really unfolding. And please hear this, I was not a poor performer, I was top two for 3+ months of my employment on the SDR team and created records for OPPs. I was no slacker.

Culture/Passivity:
    Some cultures are messy, people get mad at each other, etc. but because issues are out in the open they get resolved. AppFolio is not that way. At AppFolio if you aren't liked or don't like someone or something that happens it is addresses over a long span of time and passively, creating a deep seeded disfunction that only comes to the surfaces when everyone is at lunch or otherwise in private.

Management:
    At AppFolio the Sales managers use STC (Selling Through Curiosity) management. Which means that anytime you sit them down to try to express how you feel about recent incidents, events, etc. they ask a lot of questions until they're able to point out why You are wrong and They are right. (On the SDR team I would often ask something and be asked in return "What do you mean by that" - an excuse for not listening to me and not admitting so)

Growth/Creativity:
    In an environment where the SDR team is micromanaged - no one is allowed to be an adult, think on their own, learn from their mistakes, grow, or for the sake of the company reveal that they shouldn't be there. Creativity is out the window, AppFolio is not a startup anymore, it's more and more corporate so everything is in place - just get good at the job they give you, that's all you're allowed to do (not stated, but that's how it unfolds).

Other SDRs:
    If you surveyed the SDRs and asked what they thought, assuming they weren't afraid of losing their current job there, they would say the manager made their experience miserable. I say this having talked to dozens (literally).

Apr 16, 2015VP Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback -- we're sorry to hear you feel this way. We're growing quickly and many of our SDR team members are moving into sales in less than a year. This ... More

Not as happy as they want you to believe

Former Employee - Implementation Manager
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager

I worked at AppFolio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, happy hour nights, tee shirts, costumes.

Cons

Staff is robotic, processes come before quality, management is below average at best. Company culture is targeted at the very young looking for a first job. Cronyism among top management is rampant. Not for anyone who wants to put quality work before production line quantity. Take a look at their Appfolio "Happy" video on YouTube. It's insane.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't know where to begin.

5. Just so so

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It tries to keep every one happy by snacks and t-shirts.

Cons

Old technologies, not good for personal development. Slow growth. It took 7 years to be barly profitable. Poor health insurance, no 401k, no bonus. Workplace politics. Talented engineers are not really promoted to important postions. The managers are not good at techniques and do not really pay attention to the growth of the teams. But they are really good at keep their postions in the company.

just OK

I worked at AppFolio

Pros

great culture, awesome people...the pay isnt bad for santa barbara companies

Cons

horrible management. MICROMANAGERS. favoritism to the max

Advice to Management

relax

From Great to good...

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Fun company events and trips out to Santa Barbara, CA along with an entertaining and lively sales team.

Cons

Upper management is largely out of touch with what occurs "in practice" regarding how the product is actually bought and sold by property management companies. Since the departure of the two main sales leaders/managers, it's become nothing but a boiler room and morale has decreased to the point that its hard to come to work.

Advice to Management

Realize that appfolio property manager is NOT gotomeeting and that proper care and concern need to be taken with each prospect and buyer. The increasing influence of the past Citrix leadership and strategy is slowing growth and decreasing employee morale & job satisfaction.

Went in with high hopes, felt lack of attention to employee development and career growth

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

lots of autonomy and awesome co workers

Cons

they claim transparency but communicate very little to those looking for growth opportunities within the company

Advice to Management

don't lose focus of challenging employees at all levels of the company and ensuring they feel rewarded for their dedication and hard work

Mostly good, some things they could improve.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with. Good work/life balance. People are mostly nice. They've been able to hire smart and good natured people. They want to continue hiring smart and good natured people. Snacks. Occasional breakfast and lunch. Occasional team outings. Occasional fun events. PTO is alright. Just started 401k matching.

Good development processes. High quality employees, making great impact to the company.

If you're just starting your career, it's a great place.
    If you're just leaving a completely crappy employer, this is a great place.

Cons

Environment is for extroverts, introverts beware.
    They are hiring fast and cramming people in. Zero personal space. Lot's of noise. Office temperature is Cold then Hot. Not very conducive for creative people or focused time.
    Long waits for the disgusting bathroom are common.

They hire a lot of people fresh out of college, so if you have any experience be prepared to be pushed to mentor. They should provide some incentive for it.

Couple times a year, employees are pressured into delivering a work related project in 24 hrs, in exchange for food, beer and shirts/sweaters.

The pay and benefits are mediocre, compared to the quality, quantity, responsibility and impact of work.

Raises are on the weak side. No profit sharing at this time. Number of Options granted at a time is now low and doesn't off set the low end of pay.

Seems like the company is deliberately leveraging work relationships and atmosphere in order to pay on the lower end.

Apr 20, 2015VP Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at AppFolio. We definitely hear you on the space - we're growing quickly and working hard to make enough room for everyone! The good news is we ... More

10. Appfolian

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

fun atmosphere, 4 weeks of time off, food in fridges & ping pong/foosball, customer focused

Cons

lots of different things going on, growth pains, sub-par compensation

Apr 16, 2015VP Marketing

Thanks for taking time to provide your feedback. We are growing quickly and this brings excitement and fun and you're right, we do have lots of things going on! I encourage you to reach out to your ... More

Great company, most difficult and underpaid department

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

The best part about this company is the culture. Most people are intelligent, motivated, and fun to be around. It makes work more enjoyable. Additionally there are many skilled people within the company who know their stuff and are available to learn from. Fun atmosphere, free snacks, relaxed but focused work environment. Great place for people who are serious about getting work done, but like to have fun along the way.

Cons

Employees in customer success are under-compensated for the stress and effort the job requires. They put too much work on our plate, and expect long days with no added benefits for working overtime. When we speak with clients, most of them are upset they can't get a response quick enough because we are so over-encumbered with clients that we don't have enough time to respond to everybody promptly. Even if we work 10 hour days, clients must wait because it's too much work for too few people. This is (hopefully) a temporary thing, but the expectations for us are simply unrealistic at this point.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire. Increase salaries and maybe the turn over rate will decrease.