AppFolio Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.4
Brian Donahoo

Pros
  • the pay isnt bad for santa barbara companies (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, great people, and great product (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees in customer success are under-compensated for the stress and effort the job requires (in 3 reviews)

• It can be hard to move up within the organization (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Appfolio is the best!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

I rave to my friends all the time about how much I love to work here. They all said it was just a honeymoon period, but it has been over a year now and I still love it! Appfolio stresses personal development and a healthy happy work environment. I would love to work here forever, but I know that if I do move on to another job I will have developed immensely from my time here.

Cons

Sometimes they run out of my favorite snacks... but who can really complain about free food?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

May 26, 2015 – VP Marketing

So glad to hear that the honeymoon is lasting! We do believe in having a great balance so people choose to stay and grow with AppFolio. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Great company but not for SDR's (please read if interested in entry level Sales)

Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best reasons: - Overall culture, in general people are fun and friendly - The very top of leadership is great (CEO-Brian and both the CoFounders) - Events are fun, food is good, they have all the fluff that startups do - Sales team is compensated well for their efforts (monetary mainly, then the typical fluff)

Cons

I speak for ONE department, so do not take this to speak for every department, this is both SDRs and ISRs: - You will be heavily micromanaged on the SDR team and depending on the manager the ISR team as well - In the beginning it feels like they like you, but they're actions convey that they only like you for your numbers - Management is always right (even if they invade privacy) and will not admit their faults - Leadership in this department is mostly former Citrix team, so they know what they want and don't care much about what you think - AppFolio has grown too quickly, going from an SDR team of 5 to 20+ in the course of 2-4 months which means again that you are just a number. Same goes for Sales, from 10-20 to 40-60 in 2-4 months (I do apologize if I've inflated those too high, but I do know that the SDR team numbers are accurate - I'm trying to be honest and fair) - It's never good when you enjoy hanging out with other departments more than your own - Majority age range is early twenties, which makes it college 2.0 (so if you're looking for a mature environment to work, then don't go here) - Your managers bonuses depending on Your performance (which is not unusual), which some managers handle with care and grace, not the case here. It's all about the numbers and a promotion will constantly be dangled in front of you to make you work harder (not because it's actually available).

Advice to Management

I am writing this review 5 months after leaving AppFolio. I didn't like sales at AppFolio, but now that I'm at a new company, I greatly enjoy sales. (I hope those comments help you understand I'm not just venting or "blind") My Place at AppFolio: I was an employee for just shy of a year and while in the beginning I believed all the "this is a nearly perfect company" talk that went around, I quickly saw how things were really unfolding. And please hear this, I was not a poor performer, I was top two for 3+ months of my employment on the SDR team and created records for OPPs. I was no slacker. Culture/Passivity: Some cultures are messy, people get mad at each other, etc. but because issues are out in the open they get resolved. AppFolio is not that way. At AppFolio if you aren't liked or don't like someone or something that happens it is addresses over a long span of time and passively, creating a deep seeded disfunction that only comes to the surfaces when everyone is at lunch or otherwise in private. Management: At AppFolio the Sales managers use STC (Selling Through Curiosity) management. Which means that anytime you sit them down to try to express how you feel about recent incidents, events, etc. they ask a lot of questions until they're able to point out why You are wrong and They are right. (On the SDR team I would often ask something and be asked in return "What do you mean by that" - an excuse for not listening to me and not admitting so) Growth/Creativity: In an environment where the SDR team is micromanaged - no one is allowed to be an adult, think on their own, learn from their mistakes, grow, or for the sake of the company reveal that they shouldn't be there. Creativity is out the window, AppFolio is not a startup anymore, it's more and more corporate so everything is in place - just get good at the job they give you, that's all you're allowed to do (not stated, but that's how it unfolds). Other SDRs: If you surveyed the SDRs and asked what they thought, assuming they weren't afraid of losing their current job there, they would say the manager made their experience miserable. I say this having talked to dozens (literally).

Apr 16, 2015 – VP Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback -- we're sorry to hear you feel this way. We're growing quickly and many of our SDR team members are moving into sales in less than a year. This ... More

From Great to good...

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Fun company events and trips out to Santa Barbara, CA along with an entertaining and lively sales team.

Cons

Upper management is largely out of touch with what occurs "in practice" regarding how the product is actually bought and sold by property management companies. Since the departure of the two main sales leaders/managers, it's become nothing but a boiler room and morale has decreased to the point that its hard to come to work.

Advice to Management

Realize that appfolio property manager is NOT gotomeeting and that proper care and concern need to be taken with each prospect and buyer. The increasing influence of the past Citrix leadership and strategy is slowing growth and decreasing employee morale & job satisfaction.

just OK

I worked at AppFolio

Pros

great culture, awesome people...the pay isnt bad for santa barbara companies

Cons

horrible management. MICROMANAGERS. favoritism to the max

Advice to Management

relax

Just so so

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It tries to keep every one happy by snacks and t-shirts.

Cons

Old technologies, not good for personal development. Slow growth. It took 7 years to be barly profitable. Poor health insurance, no 401k, no bonus. Workplace politics. Talented engineers are not really promoted to important postions. The managers are not good at techniques and do not really pay attention to the growth of the teams. But they are really good at keep their postions in the company.

Not as happy as they want you to believe

Former Employee - Implementation Manager
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, happy hour nights, tee shirts, costumes.

Cons

Staff is robotic, processes come before quality, management is below average at best. Company culture is targeted at the very young looking for a first job. Cronyism among top management is rampant. Not for anyone who wants to put quality work before production line quantity. Take a look at their Appfolio "Happy" video on YouTube. It's insane.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't know where to begin.

8. Was sold on looks and lifestyle. Not the case.

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

- Good people, most are in the same age group in CS (a mix of older/younger on the Sales side.) - Plenty of snacks, drinks and lunches. - Gives you an entry-level look into the software world.

Cons

- Compensation/benefits were right at/slightly below industry average. - Be prepared to hit the ground running. If you fall behind your group, there seems to be little support. - Company is understaffed and overworked. Which leads to many issues. - Managers are given either too much responsibility, promoted too quickly or are just ill-equipped to be actual managers. - If you don't enjoy micromanagement on a daily basis, you won't enjoy this job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are your biggest asset. Not your profits. Invest in their talents and give them a chance to shine in their own way. Ignore them and you will continue to churn through associates, both new and tenured.

Jun 16, 2015 – VP Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. You're right - our employees are super important! We do have a fast pace here and high expectations and it can definitely be challenging right out of ... More

Went in with high hopes, felt lack of attention to employee development and career growth

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

lots of autonomy and awesome co workers

Cons

they claim transparency but communicate very little to those looking for growth opportunities within the company

Advice to Management

don't lose focus of challenging employees at all levels of the company and ensuring they feel rewarded for their dedication and hard work

People and culture are great, but pay is on the short end.

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Company, products, management, culture, and people are great. The people are some of the best I have worked with. The productivity and brain power of their employees is amazing. What the company lacks in pay, it tries to make up for in other ways with fun events, free shirts, feeding you at times and similar such things, which is great but those are the things you need to do if you want to attract and retain great talent.

Cons

Much like a lot of tech companies in the Santa Barbara area, they like to under pay employees. Right now, no bonus program. Raises are anemic. Company holidays are slim. Paid Time Off is average to start, increases to it are non-existant until many years later. The number of stock options they grant are okay. Upward mobility is slim.

Advice to Management

Your employees are top-notch. To keep top-notch, high performing employees you need to not only do all the things you are doing well but you also need to pay them a fair wage representative of, performance, the cost of living in the area and the industry. AppFolio is great but there is an under-swell of discontent with pay.

11. Overall a nice place.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are a great bunch, and the culture is an active one. There are lots of sports teams to play on, and monthly company meetings are a lot of fun.

Cons

Upward mobility is extremely limited, favoritism runs rampant. The pay... It's bad.

RSS Feed </> Embed