AppFolio Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

SaaS done right for the customer and for the employee

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding office culture Charismatic CEO Close-knit teams Collaboration Smart leadership in each department Simplicity at the core of the business Challenging work Ability to innovate within your role/department Well designed processes Genuine customer focus Work-life balance Open communication about company goals, initiatives, performance, and future Innovative software that truly changes the lives of its users

Cons

Not being able to roll out all the features our clients request. AppFolio has a very active user base and they come up with a ton of excellent ideas. Creating a robust solution happens quickly but still does not seem to fully sate our client's hunger for product enhancements.

2. Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture Working alongside great people Clients are happy with what they're getting A growing company with lots of room for growth

Cons

Pay is decent but not great Scaling up will become an issue in the future Software seems a but outdated, there needs to be more improvements

Advice to Management

Continue to inspire your employees with enthusiasm

Pretty close to perfect

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

-Motivated co-workers full of positive energy -Growth, growth and more growth -Fast paced start up culture which keeps things exciting -Casual and relaxed environment. We work hard and have fun doing it. -The perks: lots and lots of free food, on site workout classes, happy hours, etc. -4 weeks paid vacation. GREAT work/life balance.

Cons

Not much. There are definitely some growing pains but that's to be expected of a company growing as rapidly as we are.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the team and enhancing the software but don't change much else! Things are great as they are.

5. Appfolian

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

fun atmosphere, 4 weeks of time off, food in fridges & ping pong/foosball, customer focused

Cons

lots of different things going on, growth pains, sub-par compensation

AppFolio Response

Apr 16, 2015 – VP Marketing

Thanks for taking time to provide your feedback. We are growing quickly and this brings excitement and fun and you're right, we do have lots of things going on! I encourage you to reach out to your ... More

Amazing Company, Ton of Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The leadership team does a great job of instilling a strong company culture. It is a very positive, open environment and everyone is very welcoming. You immediately feel like a member of the family and make new friends that extend beyond work. We are incredibly spoiled with food, fun AppFolio gear, fitness, happy hours, company parties & contests. There is never a dull day at the office. In addition to the great atmosphere, it's exciting to be a part of a company that is growing so quickly. Every year we establish company initiatives that actually get implemented and completed. This is awesome to be a part of and gives you a sense of accomplishment. Our strong leadership team knows how to effectively lead each department and keep everyone in line with company goals. I feel honored to learn from the managers above me, there is a lot to learn for those early on in their careers. New employees also have the plus of a strong benefits packet. For the entry-level positions, it's rare to find a company that offers PTO (and a lot of it) & full healthcare coverage from the start. For the Services department, you have the option for a promotion after 6 months, that is unheard of at most companies! Overall I have nothing to say but great things and am excited to see what's to come.

Cons

I have no complaints. As a member of the Services department and Customer Success team, I feel the complete opposite of most of the other listed cons. Our department has the most promotions and team growth of any department, month over month. Experienced Services members also have the opportunities to move into other teams and departments which allows for further career advancement. Customer service is not an "easy" job, but any candidate just looking for a resume builder should find elsewhere. You'll quickly find that “easy” is boring and has less pay off long-term. AppFolio is a great company for motivated people looking to work hard and do their part to contribute to a growing company. Promotions and raises aren't given because of length of employment, they are something earned. I appreciate this at AppFolio because it allows the motivated employees to be rewarded for their hard work and stand out at the company. For new hires right out of college, it's best to understand that you need to work hard and be patient in the working world (one year at a company is not that long!!!). Promotions are earned and there is plenty of opportunity for them at AppFolio.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

AppFolio Response

Apr 16, 2015 – VP Marketing

Thank you ! This is such a nice, thoughtful review - thank you for taking the time to write it. We have an amazing Services team and this is a huge factor in our customer's success and happiness ... More

Not as happy as they want you to believe

Former Employee - Implementation Manager
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, happy hour nights, tee shirts, costumes.

Cons

Staff is robotic, processes come before quality, management is below average at best. Company culture is targeted at the very young looking for a first job. Cronyism among top management is rampant. Not for anyone who wants to put quality work before production line quantity. Take a look at their Appfolio "Happy" video on YouTube. It's insane.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't know where to begin.

Good company, just not for me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the company is incredible. Tribal knowledge is the backbone of the sales department and everyone truly cares about the team effort. Dress code is relaxed (I wear jeans to work everyday). All managers are there to help in any way they can! If you work hard and are successful there are many opportunities to advance within the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the company, I just found the job to be very boring. Every position in the company is a full-on desk job and I just found myself unable to be successful in that type of environment.

9. Career opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing extremely fast and all departments are growing

Cons

customer success does not provide many career advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

recognize your talent before you loose it

Great place to hone engineering skills

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment. Engineer-friendly culture. Smart coworkers with varied backgrounds. Great place to hone your engineering skills. Santa Barbara is more fun than I expected (even for single people). Most of all, I like how the company believes in getting everyone in touch with customers.

Cons

Growing-up pains. Product feels outdated and incomplete for seven year old company. Goals too high level to be translated by engineers. Too many cooks in kitchen, and too many meetings. Progress feels slow.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to harness the full potential of the engineering team to deliver a great product.

11. One of the happiest places to work

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- amazing work environment - even more amazing people - strong core values - genuine interests in doing what's right - innovative, fast paced - well stocked kitchens

Cons

- growing pains - type of growth

RSS Feed </> Embed