AppFolio Reviews

3.9
Brian Donahoo

1. Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio (less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Working alongside great people
    Clients are happy with what they're getting
    A growing company with lots of room for growth

Cons

Pay is decent but not great
    Scaling up will become an issue in the future
    Software seems a but outdated, there needs to be more improvements

Continue to inspire your employees with enthusiasm

Mostly good, some things they could improve.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with. Good work/life balance. People are mostly nice. They've been able to hire smart and good natured people. They want to continue hiring smart and good natured people. Snacks. Occasional breakfast and lunch. Occasional team outings. Occasional fun events. PTO is alright. Just started 401k matching.

Good development processes. High quality employees, making great impact to the company.

If you're just starting your career, it's a great place.
    If you're just leaving a completely crappy employer, this is a great place.

Cons

Environment is for extroverts, introverts beware.
    They are hiring fast and cramming people in. Zero personal space. Lot's of noise. Office temperature is Cold then Hot. Not very conducive for creative people or focused time.
    Long waits for the disgusting bathroom are common.

They hire a lot of people fresh out of college, so if you have any experience be prepared to be pushed to mentor. They should provide some incentive for it.

Couple times a year, employees are pressured into delivering a work related project in 24 hrs, in exchange for food, beer and shirts/sweaters.

The pay and benefits are mediocre, compared to the quality, quantity, responsibility and impact of work.

Raises are on the weak side. No profit sharing at this time. Number of Options granted at a time is now low and doesn't off set the low end of pay.

Seems like the company is deliberately leveraging work relationships and atmosphere in order to pay on the lower end.

Great company but not for SDR's (please read if interested in entry level Sales)

Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best reasons:
    - Overall culture, in general people are fun and friendly
    - The very top of leadership is great (CEO-Brian and both the CoFounders)
    - Events are fun, food is good, they have all the fluff that startups do
    - Sales team is compensated well for their efforts (monetary mainly, then the typical fluff)

Cons

I speak for ONE department, so do not take this to speak for every department, this is both SDRs and ISRs:
    - You will be heavily micromanaged on the SDR team and depending on the manager the ISR team as well
    - In the beginning it feels like they like you, but they're actions convey that they only like you for your numbers
    - Management is always right (even if they invade privacy) and will not admit their faults
    - Leadership in this department is mostly former Citrix team, so they know what they want and don't care much about what you think
    - AppFolio has grown too quickly, going from an SDR team of 5 to 20+ in the course of 2-4 months which means again that you are just a number. Same goes for Sales, from 10-20 to 40-60 in 2-4 months (I do apologize if I've inflated those too high, but I do know that the SDR team numbers are accurate - I'm trying to be honest and fair)
    - It's never good when you enjoy hanging out with other departments more than your own
    - Majority age range is early twenties, which makes it college 2.0 (so if you're looking for a mature environment to work, then don't go here)
    - Your managers bonuses depending on Your performance (which is not unusual), which some managers handle with care and grace, not the case here. It's all about the numbers and a promotion will constantly be dangled in front of you to make you work harder (not because it's actually available).

I am writing this review 5 months after leaving AppFolio. I didn't like sales at AppFolio, but now that I'm at a new company, I greatly enjoy sales. (I hope those comments help you understand I'm not just venting or "blind")

My Place at AppFolio:
    I was an employee for just shy of a year and while in the beginning I believed all the "this is a nearly perfect company" talk that went around, I quickly saw how things were really unfolding. And please hear this, I was not a poor performer, I was top two for 3+ months of my employment on the SDR team and created records for OPPs. I was no slacker.

Culture/Passivity:
    Some cultures are messy, people get mad at each other, etc. but because issues are out in the open they get resolved. AppFolio is not that way. At AppFolio if you aren't liked or don't like someone or something that happens it is addresses over a long span of time and passively, creating a deep seeded disfunction that only comes to the surfaces when everyone is at lunch or otherwise in private.

Management:
    At AppFolio the Sales managers use STC (Selling Through Curiosity) management. Which means that anytime you sit them down to try to express how you feel about recent incidents, events, etc. they ask a lot of questions until they're able to point out why You are wrong and They are right. (On the SDR team I would often ask something and be asked in return "What do you mean by that" - an excuse for not listening to me and not admitting so)

Growth/Creativity:
    In an environment where the SDR team is micromanaged - no one is allowed to be an adult, think on their own, learn from their mistakes, grow, or for the sake of the company reveal that they shouldn't be there. Creativity is out the window, AppFolio is not a startup anymore, it's more and more corporate so everything is in place - just get good at the job they give you, that's all you're allowed to do (not stated, but that's how it unfolds).

Other SDRs:
    If you surveyed the SDRs and asked what they thought, assuming they weren't afraid of losing their current job there, they would say the manager made their experience miserable. I say this having talked to dozens (literally).

5. Appfolian

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

fun atmosphere, 4 weeks of time off, food in fridges & ping pong/foosball, customer focused

Cons

lots of different things going on, growth pains, sub-par compensation

6. Career opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing extremely fast and all departments are growing

Cons

customer success does not provide many career advancement opportunities

recognize your talent before you loose it

7. Good company to start your off in the industry

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I worked at AppFolio as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very patient and helpful mentors, you will learn a lot. Appfolio can help you build up all the development skills quickly. The office uses open-ended design (just like Facebook), it's easy to ask for help; and all the other employees are very willing to help you.

People here are passionate and with a sense of humor, we are always laughing around.

Tons of snacks and drinks and fruits in the kitchen. You will never get hungry at work.

Cons

The salary is about average. Considering the light work load, it's decent enough.
    Goleta and Santa Barbara is a boring place, you need to drive 2 hours to reach LA.

Keep up the good work in sales and marketing. Consider raising the salary to attract more smart people.

8. Great Company, great leadership and great oppertunity

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are motivated to get experience and have opportunity for advancement, Appfolio is a great place to work at. The company is always growing looking to promote talent from within. They offer great training and a great opportunity to get hands on experience doing something that matters. To top if off, the senior leadership has created a great company atmosphere and set the company up to be very successful long term.

Cons

Nothing bad to say. Appfolio is a fast pace and growth minded company. If you do not mind showing up to work and giving your best, there are no cons. However if you are looking for a clock in/out job allowing you to coast, its not the place for you. The company rewards hard work and talent.

Keep doing what you are doing.

9. Awesome Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Implementation in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A fun and youthful culture. The company is growing quickly and offers a lot of room for employee growth. They promote from within the Company, which is awesome! Hard working, friendly and smart co-workers that continue to raise the bar and encourage me to push myself. A lot of opportunities to learn and develop skills. Hard work is noticed and rewarded. Can't say enough about how much I love working for this Company!

Cons

Busy days. The days fly by because there is always a lot to get done. Fast paced and exciting!

Keep it up!

AppFolio- A wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is young and vibrant, with a fun work life balance. The headquarters in Santa Barbara has fun break room activities including ping pong, Foosball, and daily exercise classes. In addition AppFolio offers a fully stocked kitchen with food and beverages. This is a hard working environment and is focused on growing into a multi million dollar company, but where people work hard the also play hard.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement within the services, and the implementation sectors. Unless you are an Engineer your career growth goals may go unrecognized.

Provide opportunities for growth within the company so that your talented workforce can continue to grow with the company, and provide value to the organization for the long term. Also focus more on training, and development to build skills across departments.

11. Great company - Has it's cons thought

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Great people, good benefits, free snacks, work out classes, occasional happy hours and fun work events.

Cons

The client base a CS manager will work with with will eventually wear you down as they can be very demanding and sometimes very rude. In the beginning you have a lot to look forward such as possible advancement into a different departments and your 6 month raise/ benefit acquisition. Lets get real though, no one wants to be in customer support as a career choice. You take the position in order to move up and grow your resume. So if the department your looking into doesn't need any extra people or they find someone more qualified you could find yourself stuck. You have the possibility to move up within the department but the pay is weak compared to any other position in the company. We have a top notch sales staff so it just keeps getting busier and you end up working more hours yet you keep getting paid the same regardless of effort or performance. It becomes very tough to stay positive and motivated.

Give the CS department something more to look forward to after 6 months such as additional raise possibilities or at least some sort of performance based bonus structure.