AppFolio Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.2
Brian Donahoo

Pros
  • the pay isnt bad for santa barbara companies (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, great people, and great product (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees in customer success are under-compensated for the stress and effort the job requires (in 3 reviews)

• It can be hard to move up within the organization (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Appfolio is the best!

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

I rave to my friends all the time about how much I love to work here. They all said it was just a honeymoon period, but it has been over a year now and I still love it! Appfolio stresses personal development and a healthy happy work environment. I would love to work here forever, but I know that if I do move on to another job I will have developed immensely from my time here.

Cons

Sometimes they run out of my favorite snacks... but who can really complain about free food?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

May 26, 2015VP Marketing

So glad to hear that the honeymoon is lasting! We do believe in having a great balance so people choose to stay and grow with AppFolio. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

A wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is located in one of the best areas California has to offer. My coworkers are wonderful, intelligent people. Each day brings new challenges that keep the job interesting.

Cons

There is a housing shortage in the Santa Barbara area. Fortunately traffic isn't nearly as bad as it can be in other California tech cities.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote people from within the company, and continue to listen to us employees. Keep up the good work.

3. Great Company, few caveats

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The company is run by people with the right kind of experience, a clear plan, and the skill to execute it. The people that work there are wonderful kind-hearted people who care about the craft of what they do. I have no doubt that Appfolio will continue to do very well.

Cons

This is not really their fault, but it is a con I would mention to anyone applying there- the average age of middle management is very young, and people stay at the company for a long time. There is no clear path of advancement for new employees.

Advice to Management

There are so many great people that work at Appfolio

May 18, 2015VP Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience working with us. We love to hear that you felt surrounded by great people - that makes all the difference.

A flourishing company with opportunity at every corner

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

AppFolio is a fantastic place to start your career. The training is top-notch, the people are great, the product is amazing, and the management is appreciative. The company is wildly successful and is growing by leaps and bounds every quarter. Having joined AppFolio only 10 months ago, I'm pleased to have been promoted TWICE in that timeframe. Considering this is my first job out of college, I could not be happier with my decision to join this team.

The SDR role itself is a fantastic introduction into the fast paced sales of a tech company. The training you will receive will be superlative to the industry. You will not learn how to be a telemarketer; you will learn how to be a consultant, and a good one at that. Expect the same training that you'd receive at tech giant in Silicon Valley but with more personalized attention. Training is also ongoing as we meet multiple times a week to sharpen our sales acumen.

In terms of culture, AppFolio is full on fun, energetic people that give this company such a unique vibe. Expect lots of catered lunches, retail gift cards, ping pong tournaments, and enough AppFolio t-shirts to fill your entire wardrobe. There are a ton of dogs at the office, too.

So yea, it's a pretty sweet place to work.

Cons

AppFolio's startup era has long passed. The company has grown into it's corporate shoes and as a result, job responsibilities and protocols are very structured.

Advice to Management

The company needs more diversity. I highly encourage AppFolio to recruit from beyond the Santa Barbara community. Everyone went to either Westmont or UCSB.

Mostly good, some things they could improve.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with. Good work/life balance. People are mostly nice. They've been able to hire smart and good natured people. They want to continue hiring smart and good natured people. Snacks. Occasional breakfast and lunch. Occasional team outings. Occasional fun events. PTO is alright. Just started 401k matching.

Good development processes. High quality employees, making great impact to the company.

If you're just starting your career, it's a great place.
    If you're just leaving a completely crappy employer, this is a great place.

Cons

Environment is for extroverts, introverts beware.
    They are hiring fast and cramming people in. Zero personal space. Lot's of noise. Office temperature is Cold then Hot. Not very conducive for creative people or focused time.
    Long waits for the disgusting bathroom are common.

They hire a lot of people fresh out of college, so if you have any experience be prepared to be pushed to mentor. They should provide some incentive for it.

Couple times a year, employees are pressured into delivering a work related project in 24 hrs, in exchange for food, beer and shirts/sweaters.

The pay and benefits are mediocre, compared to the quality, quantity, responsibility and impact of work.

Raises are on the weak side. No profit sharing at this time. Number of Options granted at a time is now low and doesn't off set the low end of pay.

Seems like the company is deliberately leveraging work relationships and atmosphere in order to pay on the lower end.

Apr 20, 2015VP Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at AppFolio. We definitely hear you on the space - we're growing quickly and working hard to make enough room for everyone! The good news is we ... More

Great company but not for SDR's (please read if interested in entry level Sales)

Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - SDR (Sales Development Representative) in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best reasons:
    - Overall culture, in general people are fun and friendly
    - The very top of leadership is great (CEO-Brian and both the CoFounders)
    - Events are fun, food is good, they have all the fluff that startups do
    - Sales team is compensated well for their efforts (monetary mainly, then the typical fluff)

Cons

I speak for ONE department, so do not take this to speak for every department, this is both SDRs and ISRs:
    - You will be heavily micromanaged on the SDR team and depending on the manager the ISR team as well
    - In the beginning it feels like they like you, but they're actions convey that they only like you for your numbers
    - Management is always right (even if they invade privacy) and will not admit their faults
    - Leadership in this department is mostly former Citrix team, so they know what they want and don't care much about what you think
    - AppFolio has grown too quickly, going from an SDR team of 5 to 20+ in the course of 2-4 months which means again that you are just a number. Same goes for Sales, from 10-20 to 40-60 in 2-4 months (I do apologize if I've inflated those too high, but I do know that the SDR team numbers are accurate - I'm trying to be honest and fair)
    - It's never good when you enjoy hanging out with other departments more than your own
    - Majority age range is early twenties, which makes it college 2.0 (so if you're looking for a mature environment to work, then don't go here)
    - Your managers bonuses depending on Your performance (which is not unusual), which some managers handle with care and grace, not the case here. It's all about the numbers and a promotion will constantly be dangled in front of you to make you work harder (not because it's actually available).

Advice to Management

I am writing this review 5 months after leaving AppFolio. I didn't like sales at AppFolio, but now that I'm at a new company, I greatly enjoy sales. (I hope those comments help you understand I'm not just venting or "blind")

My Place at AppFolio:
    I was an employee for just shy of a year and while in the beginning I believed all the "this is a nearly perfect company" talk that went around, I quickly saw how things were really unfolding. And please hear this, I was not a poor performer, I was top two for 3+ months of my employment on the SDR team and created records for OPPs. I was no slacker.

Culture/Passivity:
    Some cultures are messy, people get mad at each other, etc. but because issues are out in the open they get resolved. AppFolio is not that way. At AppFolio if you aren't liked or don't like someone or something that happens it is addresses over a long span of time and passively, creating a deep seeded disfunction that only comes to the surfaces when everyone is at lunch or otherwise in private.

Management:
    At AppFolio the Sales managers use STC (Selling Through Curiosity) management. Which means that anytime you sit them down to try to express how you feel about recent incidents, events, etc. they ask a lot of questions until they're able to point out why You are wrong and They are right. (On the SDR team I would often ask something and be asked in return "What do you mean by that" - an excuse for not listening to me and not admitting so)

Growth/Creativity:
    In an environment where the SDR team is micromanaged - no one is allowed to be an adult, think on their own, learn from their mistakes, grow, or for the sake of the company reveal that they shouldn't be there. Creativity is out the window, AppFolio is not a startup anymore, it's more and more corporate so everything is in place - just get good at the job they give you, that's all you're allowed to do (not stated, but that's how it unfolds).

Other SDRs:
    If you surveyed the SDRs and asked what they thought, assuming they weren't afraid of losing their current job there, they would say the manager made their experience miserable. I say this having talked to dozens (literally).

Apr 16, 2015VP Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback -- we're sorry to hear you feel this way. We're growing quickly and many of our SDR team members are moving into sales in less than a year. This ... More

8. Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Working alongside great people
    Clients are happy with what they're getting
    A growing company with lots of room for growth

Cons

Pay is decent but not great
    Scaling up will become an issue in the future
    Software seems a but outdated, there needs to be more improvements

Advice to Management

Continue to inspire your employees with enthusiasm

9. Appfolian

I have been working at AppFolio

Pros

fun atmosphere, 4 weeks of time off, food in fridges & ping pong/foosball, customer focused

Cons

lots of different things going on, growth pains, sub-par compensation

Apr 16, 2015VP Marketing

Thanks for taking time to provide your feedback. We are growing quickly and this brings excitement and fun and you're right, we do have lots of things going on! I encourage you to reach out to your ... More

10. Career opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing extremely fast and all departments are growing

Cons

customer success does not provide many career advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

recognize your talent before you loose it

Good company to start your off in the industry

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I worked at AppFolio as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very patient and helpful mentors, you will learn a lot. Appfolio can help you build up all the development skills quickly. The office uses open-ended design (just like Facebook), it's easy to ask for help; and all the other employees are very willing to help you.

People here are passionate and with a sense of humor, we are always laughing around.

Tons of snacks and drinks and fruits in the kitchen. You will never get hungry at work.

Cons

The salary is about average. Considering the light work load, it's decent enough.
    Goleta and Santa Barbara is a boring place, you need to drive 2 hours to reach LA.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in sales and marketing. Consider raising the salary to attract more smart people.

RSS Feed </> Embed