AppNeta

Updated January 5, 2015
2.9

AppNeta President and CEO Matt Stevens
Matt Stevens

Great group of tech savvy sales guys/girls selling Incredible Technology.

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt the most nimble APM tool in the market. Prospective customers that go through a qualified trial with AppNeta almost always buy. With an effort to really learn the technology, you can make a lot of $ here. TraceView(APM tool) is easier to sell every week as its fantastic reputation reaches more in the IT world. The personalities in the office are flat out fun. There's always great food, drink(incredible coffee) and office games(ping pong, foos) that keep you very comfortable when you need a break. The upside potential for growth is phenomenal.

Cons

Getting paid your commissions here is more stressful than most sales org's, but if you're organized and understand your customers' payment processes there should be no major pain(great % payouts). The C-level messaging is fairly consistent, but mgmt. has struggled to support the sales & op's teams with clear goals and paths to build a strategy for long term growth. Accountability has been an issue for operations and sales mgmt. Do not give too much credit to the musings of bitter former employees who weren't willing to work, there's a lot of money to be made here.

Have a 2nd men's toilet installed immediately(maybe a 3rd and 4th, too). "Plumbing too difficult"?, then move. An office with more than 25 men that has only 1 toilet is not only a health code violation but an utter disregard for the well being of your employees. Leadership should be ashamed for their lack of action here.

Well I don't know about everyone else....but I like it here.

Current Employee - Full-Stack Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Full-Stack Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, challenging projects, great tech! It was amazing to work here in the beginning...got a little crazy in the middle....but I'm really happy with it again now that we've figured out a way to be a bigger company.

Cons

Maybe this will change as it gets bigger but it seems flat. Where do you go after being a senior engineer?

Open roles may be open a bit too long.

Great place to work, with an amazing amount of opportunity

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big picture? AppNeta is one of the few places I've worked where I've seen people promoted as fast as they're capable of, and in many cases, faster. In many cases, they rise to the challenge. This doesn't even happen in 5-person startups.

The market is good, the products are good, the customer base is immense, there's real revenue, and management care about making it a good place to work. If you've followed AppNeta, the biggest change of late is that the leadership team is finally behaving as if they can be successful, instead of trying to fend off being unsuccessful. It's refreshing.

Cons

AppNeta is a 10-year old startup. It has pivoted several times, while remaining mostly in the same global market, which means there's a lot of baggage. Employee culture, tribal wisdom, best practices: these have been built under a bunch of different, frequently unsuccessful leaders and strategies.

It's much better, but every small company has it's struggles. AppNeta doesn't have the new-company gloss, and it's still paying for the sins of its past (see: many other reviews here).

Don't think that changing CEOs will fix everything. It's a huge start, but the AppNeta of 5 years ago is probably the biggest competitor and threat to the AppNeta of today. Especially culturally.

Total joke of a company-- avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Wellesley Hills, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Wellesley Hills, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time

Pros

Really really easy HR process. If you need a placeholder job right out of college that will just barely allow you to survive in Boston while you find something more legit, this is the way to go as long as you don't have very high standards or self-respect. From what I remember, they were growing kinda fast? Also, the products they sell are solid.

Cons

Where to start. 12 hour days are the standard and they pay you on average $35k/ year. If you do the math it's basically McDonalds pay. They have implemented all of the least sophisticated, high pressure, low cost, high turnover sales practices developed in the technology space. It's more or less a sweatshop full of college educated kids making 150-200 dials per day and reading from a script riddled with grammatical errors. Pretty brutal. They openly admit that they "hire fast and fire fast". Very ineffective way to built a strong company and cultivate a healthy culture. I left within months of working there for a better firm which is par for the course.

I recommend that Bain fire all of the upper management and replace them with bona fide sales professionals who understand how to scale an organization in a sustainable way.

well, well, well..... things not going so well, eh?

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

chickens coming home to roost

Cons

complete lack of leadership
    awful strategic and tactical understanding of how organizations work
    did i mention lack of leadership
    treat people like crap
    no long term strategy - just run around like a dog sniffing things at the park
    total lack of fortitude at the top of the company
    dwindling numbers... business is not good. this ship is as good as sunk.

investors need to shake things up

AppNeta gaining momentum fast

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AppNeta is quickly becoming a great place to work. Like many small companies it has seen its share of bumps in the road but over the past 6 months management has made a real effort to grow a culture that employees care about the success of the company and the company cares about the success of the employees. If you are competitive and like a place that will recognize and reward you for positive contributions this may be a place for you. Question for the audience can you walk into your VP or CEO's office for a quick convo or to get their thoughts? If that type of learning is something you would like I'd recommending checking out AppNeta.

Cons

AppNeta is still a small company and with that comes some of the small company growing pains for example we may run out of snacks on Friday and not get another order until Tuesday.

Keep doing what you are doing it seems you were able to identify problem areas and address them. Bringing in more experienced management to work with the younger team has been highly beneficial.

Best place in the whole wide world to work!

Former Employee - BDR
    Former Employee - BDR

I worked at AppNeta full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Appneta will make every one of your dreams come true! This company's management will teach you everything you could ever want to know about selling, success, and life in general. I mean come on, read the positive reviews on glassdoor, ONLY the positive reviews. The other 90% of the reviews are junk. Probably some guy with like 30 different accounts saying, you know, bad stuff cause they're bitter.

Cons

Lots of great spiffs. I'll never forget the one we had where the manager brought everyone into a room and said "Anyone who doesn't have 2 qualified sales demos booked by EOD is gone". He was a great manager. Seriously, he was a few years out of college, knew more than anyone in the world, and was amazingly amazing.

The hours. Anyone who doesn't think working 12 hours a day is cool is the worst. "What about Saturdays?" Sounds like a great time to find new leads, see you in the office bro!

When you see 90% of people telling you to run, do it. This place is kinda awful. They are a small company yet if you do a quick search on Lnkdin you'll see over 400 people with Appneta tied to their name. How do you have over 400 people with Appneta on their profile yet be small and a good place to work?

Congratulations! You have managed to burn FAR more bridges than most. Good luck finding a job outside of Appneta.

Fabulous Company To Work For!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (less than a year)

Pros

First & foremost, I must say that this is the absolute best start-up company! The company's culture/environment is what makes me want to go to work every day. It's a fun, loud, young group of people. In recent months, the management team has made it a mission to communicate more effectively with their employees, which in turn makes you really feel like you are part of a team!

Cons

It can be extremely challenging, especially if you're in Sales, however, if you give your best effort every single day then the craziness of it all will be well worth it. Also, if you're not energetic or upbeat then this is probably not a good fit for you.

Please continue to communicate with the team in a more positive manner! Colleagues have been saying what an impact it has been making. Everyone is noticing the change here at AppNeta and I must say 2014 will only get better!

Great for some (if you want make $) - not for everyone.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you want to work hard and make serious cash. You're given lots of freedom to succeed (and lots of rope to hang yourself if try to cowboy it and go it alone...).

Cons

Being a startup, there is a lot of change in the go to market approach. AppNeta has more change than most, but the change is driven out desire to make people successful. Not a place to work if you expect to get a "cookie cutter" approach. You'll need to self-motivated and be prepared to figure things out on the fly.

Hire better. Too many of the sales team members don't take the opportunity seriously or approach the job with professionalism. It's hard to sell (regardless of how strong the product is and AppNeta's product is actually a winner) and it is even tougher when you have to sit next to people who expect to have everything handed to them and/or complain about their peers or management when the real answer to their lack of success is looking back at them in the bathroom mirror each morning.

This isn't just for management - it's for all sales team members too. Don't tolerate under-performers. They bring the whole team down with them. AppNeta is in a hot market with a hot product, so why tolerate sub-par peers?

Haters gonna hate, but the job's pretty great

I have been working at AppNeta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I read the some of the reviews from ex-AppNetians, so as someone who's liked his time here, I wanted to give my own contrasting take.

AppNeta's gone through some tougher months recently (hey, it's a startup) where a lot of long overdue changes were put into place, particularly impacting sales/marketing, etc. A lot of these changes were contentious and many people ended up on the wrong side of them, and so you have a lot of grumbling reviews on this site.

But in my opinion, if you want to learn and to grow, 2014 AppNeta is one of the best places you could work. Revenue is up strongly, so everyone's back focused again on growth and acceleration. The sales team's added a set of new manager-coaches, and that's particularly helpful to those young in their careers and looking to learn fast. And over the last 3-4 months, the management team's gone out of its way to almost over-communicate and be transparent, which has been a major culture booster. I've seen several of my own meeting ideas make their way to company meetings, which is pretty awesome to see.

I'd be careful and read some of the downer reviews with a critical lens. Change is tough, and the last 12mo at AppNeta's been full of change, so yeah, you have some loud critics. But the 100+ of us who work here each day are proud to be part of Team AppNeta.

Cons

AppNeta's not for everyone: it's a hyper driven, competitive culture that demands that you consistently bring your A-game. I've seen some really good people for whom that sort of environment is not a great fit.

AppNeta will push you to your limits. If you're here to learn and grow, that can be exhilarating, but unprepared souls will get pushed past their limits.

The biggest thing that's helped us is a culture of regular communication on everything that's going on here. Please help us maintain and grow this.