AppNexus

AppNexus Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014

AppNexus Founder & CEO Brian O'Kelley

Brian O'Kelley

Pros:
  • "Lots of opportunity to take initiative and move up from entry level positions"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Work/life balance is valued and we have actually been encouraged to take our vacation days"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "as it is a growing company, you must be prepared to adapt with it"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Growing pains are normal, though, so perhaps it's better now"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun, challenging, and team oriented.

Ad Quality Auditor (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at AppNexus part-time for more than a year

ProsWe were able to create our own schedule which was amazing and so flexible. The kitchens were always stocked with healthy goodies. Family lunch every Friday, Nerf wars, company-wide games, weekly yoga, conferences to learn and grow--seriously they have everything you could want.

ConsSome of the positions as part time don't include all the great benefits of being an employee, but the flexibility and the overall perks make up for it.

So much promise, poor execution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AppNexus full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAppNexus has a terrific industry image and has succeeded in hiring many talented young people. Brian O'Kelley is an excellent salesman and has been instrumental in telling an embellished story of the company. The industry and technology training provided to new hires is superb.

ConsAppNexus executes extremely poorly, mostly due to the micro-managing and all-knowing nature of its CEO. Unfortunately this has created for very poor execution especially on the Finance and Product fronts. Senior leadership is very lackluster and often have their jobs thanks to past history with the CEO. The CEO's circle of personal friends promoted to top executives are solid startup managers, but seem to lack the experience necessary to manage a mature company to profitability. Executives they've hired are lackluster and lack leadership qualities. Management team keeps saying "exit is not a strategy" in order to placate employees and to keep them distracted from competitors that are overtaking AppNexus. This is contrasted with smaller competitors successfully executing to IPO or to buyout, rewarding employees fairly, and growing at a quicker rate--all despite having a less public image. Things are just much more exciting outside AppNexus.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease restructure the seniormost levels of AppNexus (aka "Team Orange"). The company could use a serious CEO and an executive leadership team with experience in areas they oversee.

Wasn't a great fit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AppNexus

ProsReal effort put into onboarding employees and training them in the space.

ConsManagement acts too much like a clique

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye our for buddy management groups who support each other over company goals.

Great place to work, tons of opportunities to learn and make an impact.

I have been working at AppNexus full-time for more than a year

ProsVery smart people that are some of the best in their fields. Most are more than happy to share that knowledge. Lots of interesting projects in a fast paced environment.

ConsLarge workloads and shifting priorities can be overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people ops. It needs to be metrics driven.

engineering

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at AppNexus full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat engineering team, some of the smartest guys I've worked with. A lot of "start up" culture which can be more fun than it should.

ConsThe company grew to fast, and management's messages got confused in the crossfire. Growing pains are normal, though, so perhaps it's better now.

Absolutely horrible!!!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at AppNexus full-time for more than a year

ProsVery bright and qualified talent

ConsManagement is absolutely pathetic especially at the Director level in the remote offices. Clicky. You are either cool/dorky enough to be in the club or treated like crap. Don't dare to be different!! It seems like the people that work at Appnexus are not worth squat unless you are in the inner circle of Brian O'Kelly as many of the old Right Media folks are leaving no way to move up in the company other than brown-nosing. Lets face it, this company is all show.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegroup and reorganize. The middle-management team and situation is an absolute mess which sucks for their underlings.

Nice place but could be better

Account Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at AppNexus full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to learn the industry and really at the heart of the current online advertising revolution (RTB, programmatic).
Open to people not coming from the industry which leads to an interesting diversity of the employees.
Very open and transparent on the short/mid/long term strategy

ConsNo real career evolution if not in the HQ in NY
Very US centric organisation, everything is decided in NY and pushed to the other offices
Ever changing organisation... could be puzzling
No real recognition if not working on the handful of strategic accounts

Advice to Senior ManagementThough most of the employees are in the US, you are now a global organisation with offices in EMEA and APAC so you need to think that way i.e. integrate specificities and requirements from other regions in the strategy and culture of the company.

Great place to work

Technical Writer (Current Employee)

I have been working at AppNexus full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have a "no jerks" policy and they mean it. Everyone there is easy to work with, receptive to teaching others, and open to working together.

ConsThe workload can be overwhelming at time...the company and management are aggressive.

Great company, fun culture, hard-working and ambitious employees!

New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time for less than a year

Pros- Motivated employees
- Young and smart workforce
- Great office
- Great mission with a lot of potential for continued growth

Cons- Thing change constantly...not really a con of the company because it's the nature of the tech space

Fast paced, large startup, fun culture

Director of Services (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at AppNexus full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture, amazing people, innovative product and a lot of growth opportunities

ConsA bit chaotic, too many company directional changes, harder to get into the inner circle.

Worked for AppNexus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AppNexus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AppNexus CEO Brian O'Kelley. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by AppNexus employees.