AppNexus Reviews

83 reviews filtered by
3.4
AppNexus Founder & CEO Brian O'Kelley
Brian O'Kelley

Pros
  • Work/life balance is valued and we have actually been encouraged to take our vacation days (in 5 reviews)

• Incredibly dynamic, smart people who sincerely enjoy what they do (and each other) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is ungodly bad - with many of them never managing before in their lives (in 7 reviews)

• as it is a growing company, you must be prepared to adapt with it (in 6 reviews)

A good fit for me, but not for everyone

Current Employee - Data Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learn a lot all the time and have a ton of autonomy and respect. Working at AppNexus I think I continue to learn at a rate comparable to grad school.

It's a very low structure environment which can be good and bad simultaneously. Smart people seem to get ahead at AppNexus.

It's a great fit for me in my life right now. It's never boring, and I love my work.

Now that the company is bigger and things are not as hectic as they used to be (as they were when I joined the company 2.5 years ago) it's clear that management is making a big investment in research and development. This is obviously good for me, and a big opportunity, but also a big challenge.

Cons

If you're used to being a big fish in a small pond working at AppNexus might be challenging to your pride. I've seen people struggle with this, and there is a ton of really smart people so your ego might get bruised.

Also, you REALLY have to be autodidactic - this can be either a blessing or a curse. While navigating the political structure of AppNexus, you must be able to discern the context, what's really important, what's not, what's likely to be important, what won't be, etc. This can be maddening. Some projects can have really dramatic shifts in their scope and requirements and functionality. The CEO often hands down edicts which sometimes cause dramatic shifts in priorities and objectives of these projects. That could be a big con for you.

Getting paid what I consider fair has been challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in research and development: we have a long way to go to catch up with the top-tier tech companies still (Amazon, Facebook, Google, Netflix, etc.).

Bright, hungry and ambitious people with no integrity

I worked at AppNexus (More than 3 years)

Pros

smart people, operationally minded, success driven

Cons

employees are disposable in their minds, management is very disingenuous, the platform is rampant with fraud

Advice to Management

your people are what make you

Learn a lot, but can be toxic environment.

I worked at AppNexus

Pros

Learning environment, smart coworkers, vision driven organization

Cons

Accountability is not prevalent, which opens the door for politics.

Advice to Management

Have consistent, cross functional accountability.

5. Mostly positive experience working with mid to lower level people, but management can be a burden on the employees.

I have been working at AppNexus

Pros

- Filled with good people at lower levels that are passionate about their work
    - Value work-life balance
    - Pushing the ad-techn industry forward
    - Some teams function very well and are very open

Cons

- Upper management can be both meddlesome and absent making it hard to push anything forward.
    - Continual reorgs. make it nearly impossible to focus on work.
    - Management is cliquish and only concern themselves with each other
    - Company is filled with ex-consultants that are more thinkers than doers (can be good sometimes, but slows things down)

Advice to Management

Learn to delegate more activities and empower employees to act autonomously. Stabilize the environment so people can focus on work not worrying about the next reorg.

Good medium sized Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, good benefits, great offices. Free lunch on Fridays.

Cons

Slightly weak compensation, not the most trustworthy senior management, frequently try to overplay and make the company sound much greater than it is.

Great Company But Horrible Direct Managers

Former Employee - Worker Bee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Worker Bee in New York, NY

I worked at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow worker bees are fun terrific people.

Cons

Abhorrent Direct Report Managers that are caught up in politics as usual. Sad as terrific folks leave.

Advice to Management

Make sure that all parts of the company practice what Brian O'Kelley preaches from the Razzle Dazzle stage.

8. Fantastic Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus

Pros

-Fast Paced Environment
    -Unlimited new challenges
    -Some of the smartest people I have been around, everyone works extremely hard
    -On-boarding process is well put together and allows you to learn quickly about a complex product and market
    -Growth opportunity seems to have no boundaries
    -A place where I truly align with the company values

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the people with the feet on the group as we move forward!

9. fantastic work environment

Current Employee - Sales Ops in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Ops in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- lots of perks
    - great to be part of the NYC tech scene
    - great work/life balance
    - caring and compassionate leadership, for the most part
    - great to be part of a rising tide

Cons

- lots of sweeping changes are to be expected regularly
    - re-org happens every 6 months
    - moving roles within the company is not the easiest/smoothest process

Advice to Management

work on communication strategy to better bring along change. aim for stability. create a program to help internal transfers/ create opportunities for development

Nice office, smart people, horrible pay and top-down communication

I worked at AppNexus

Pros

They do a great job of hiring from outside the adtech industry and truly look for the best & brightest. If you are hungry and motivated, you can move up the ladder and learn a lot

Cons

In the time I was employed at AppNexus, I saw the culture change dramatically. There is little to no transparency and they don't really care about the employees- it's all about profit now. I saw a lot of people who helped build the company in it's early stages- people who put in the blood, sweat, and tears (and often sacrifice their personal life), let go because they didn't fit the new AppNexus structure.. there is a TON of turnover. Compensation is also a big problem- they lure you with equity, which is incredibly diluted (one 'normal' and two huge rounds of funding plus the WPP deal). Upon finding my next role, I received at 30% increase in pay.

Advice to Management

Some things simply don't need to be over-engineered and filled with process. You DO need to get better and more efficient as the company grows, but don't forget about the people that got you where you are today. Take advantage of their strengths and HELP them with their weaknesses, don't be so quick to fire- this happened all the way up to the C-level) which is scary to a lot of employees and promotes an air of instability.

11. Fast, Furious and Aggressive

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hyper growth. Strong culture that emphasizes teamwork and getting stuff done. Excellent executive team. Smart, driven staff.

Cons

Volatile re-orgs are frequent, comp is not competitive, equity is exceptionally diluted. Middle management needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Invest in talent. Retention is poor because pay is significantly below market in some cases and re-orgs leave individual s, teams and business segments off balance. Career paths are not well defined.